wangchili

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wangchili

Got this off woot few weeks ago and it promptly started locking up and freezing up on me. Apparently lots of similar problems with this model (see reviews on amazon).

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
wootbrooked wrote:okay, may be embarrassing to show my ignorance but got to know before I make the possibly really dumb mistake....I don't have TV....I can stream Netflix and use this with a monitor via the HDMI cable correct? Currently hook laptop up to monitor.

Sure, if your monitor has an HDMI input (which is not the same as DVI). If your monitor doesn't have speakers that work through HDMI you'll have to do something for sound, too.

kiowacraw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiowacraw

Avoid! Bought on of these at Thanksgiving. It froze and locked up almost immediately.

ClintDov

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ClintDov

I have a Samsung Blue-Ray. It's great for the discs, but the Netflix app freezes about once per hour. I have to unplug it from the wall for it to work again, which is so annoying that I just plug the laptop into my TV now.

hesterific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hesterific

Does this blueray player have subtitles available on Netflix?

bboes

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bboes

This thing should be sold in bags of crap. WiFi is shaky, Pandora doesn't work (can't log in) and the unit locks up a lot in play mode. Many, many unresolved firmware issues. Plus it doesn't play WAV files. Say away from this one: spend an extra $10 and get the Panasonic unit that has the optional wired Ethernet connection for better streaming capability and resolution.

vilhiem

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vilhiem
wootbrooked wrote:okay, may be embarrassing to show my ignorance but got to know before I make the possibly really dumb mistake....I don't have TV....I can stream Netflix and use this with a monitor via the HDMI cable correct? Currently hook laptop up to monitor.

Yeah, that's fine. As long as whatever you're plugging the player into has an HDMI "in" then you should be good to go.

I see no reason as to why that would be an issue, I do the same think with my laptop when I want to watch movies from iTunes. (Darn you apple for not letting us stream to anything other than apple devices. ...legally/easily.)

shadetreescouser

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadetreescouser

Awful Wi-Fi connection....drops in and out... I'm trained to fix it now..so it's part of using the unit..I don't give 'reconnecting' a second thought.
Lots of lag between telling it what to do ..and the unit actually doing it....leading to multi clicking fixation and possible Carpral tendril... down the road.

meeska

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meeska

Shipping and customer service continue to be a problem with WOOT.
I've waited 3 weeks for a $300 item that has yet to show up. Customer service seems to be non-existent.
No more "WOOT DEALS" for me.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just curious, those of you that have this and have had issues, have you installed the latest firmware updates? There's one dated 6/2013 on the support tab on the product page.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

meeska wrote:Shipping and customer service continue to be a problem with WOOT.
I've waited 3 weeks for a $300 item that has yet to show up. Customer service seems to be non-existent.
No more "WOOT DEALS" for me.

I see the order you're talking about. Let me see what I can find out. Something is definitely wrong.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jdm001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdm001
wangchili wrote:Got this refurbished on woot few weeks ago. Kept on freezing and locking up which apparently is a common problem with this model(check out the customer reviews on amazon). Samsung usually has great stuff but this may be one of their few missteps.

I love woot, bought a bunch of stuff from 'em. I was just looking for a cheap blu ray player too, for a second tv. This would be perfect, but...

I'll not buy any refurb from woot ever again. Too many problems.

I got a DVD player refurb from woot, it lasted 6 months before it had what i'm assuming is same problem previous owner had, so i threw it out.

I got a refurb DVD + VHS player from them, that lasted less than a month.

Finally, i got an expensive Dyson vacuum also refurb. It was always real loud (we just thought it was supposed to be that way). After 6 months one day a piece popped out and we saw it was broken. It was bad the whole time, we just couldn't tell (we were just thinking we were unimpressed with Dyson and that it was loud). Too late for warranty.

So, oh for 3 on refurb stuff from woot. Their stuff seems real banged up.

As much as i'd love to get this one, i'm staying away. Been burned too many times.

WOOTS: Gyration Air Mouse, iPod Touch 8GB,USModular Battery & Flash Drive, Philips Power Inverter 2Pk, Dyson DC14 Vacuum, Nike Sport MP3Case 2Pk, Dane-Elec 2GB SD Card (2), iRobot Roomba, iRobot Roomba 4296 Scheduler, Sandisk Sansa e250, AT&T H450 Earbud Headset 2Pk, Excalibur 4GB USBDrive, Gyration GO 2.4 Air Mouse&Keyboard Suite, RCA DualFormat DVD Recorder&HD Upconvert, Vector Jump Start System, DigiPro Tablet, Philips DLO iPod Charger

Glich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Glich

BE aware http://consumerist.com/2013/09/06/samsungs-disposable-blu-ray-player-wont-play-new-blu-rays/

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran

Steer clear of Samsung Blu ray players. Nothing but problems.

Rock

yankees46

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yankees46

Freezes up all the time. Replaced it with a different brand. Would not buy one of these ever again.

thaicorp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thaicorp

If you stream netflix, i would not recommend this. The processor cannot handle HD video so it stalls to a point where it would freeze and you'll have to unplug the machine. Was hoping to replace the PS3 for netflix. Samsung should be embarass about releasing a crappy product.

Also Woot will not cancel an order if you place the order 10 mins ago. At least Amazon will give you that option.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Terrible reviews. I'm out.

tex55buck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tex55buck

bad reviews "I am gone!"

smcdon2

quality posts: 5 Private Messages smcdon2

I would recommend staying away from these. I had three of the following model Samsung player (all brand new): Samsung BD-F5700/ZA http://www.bestbuy.com/site/smart-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player/9515239.p?id=1219021958830&skuId=9515239&st=categoryid$abcat0102003&cp=1&lp=2. While it's not the same model here, it is similar to this one, but supposedly "better". I ran into the same wi-fi and netflix problems that others mention, even after upgrading the firmware and the apps software. I ultimately switched to this Sony http://www.bestbuy.com/site/smart-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player/7830129.p?id=1218861011781&skuId=7830129&st=categoryid$abcat0102003&cp=1&lp=1 and love it. I replaced all 3 of the Samsung players with these and have had no problems at all. This may only help you if you're looking for a blu-ray at a reasonable price, but don't want to get junk.

kfurrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kfurrow
cschneider wrote:Will this Blu-ray player work to stream tv from the HD Homerun Prime?

I would doubt it. I have the HD Homerun 2-tuner unit and is only functions with devices running IOS, Windows or MacOS (driver installs required for all three). This runs none of those OS.

popojijo35

quality posts: 2 Private Messages popojijo35

Is reminiscing about the days when woot would try out the products before selling them...

bazose

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bazose

Does anyone know if this is region-free/could be made region-free?

bestboards

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bestboards

This is the biggest POS. I am tied of Samsung equipment failing. I was told I was the only customer who's 60" LED TV failed within the first 5 days. Same thing with the replacement TV. Failed. Then my Phone crapped out after 6 months. This Blu-Ray is pure junk. Some times it plays while other times it decides to not. have to power cycle multiple time to get moving. The Apps are pure $hit. Sorry to rant but please Samsung. For a company that puts so much money in Marketing, how about some money in quality control. What a concept aye? I suggest a pass on this for anyone considering.

kdawg325

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kdawg325

Bought it knowing that the apps weren't reviewed well and got pretty much what I expected. As a Blu-Ray player, it's perfectly fine. I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't tried Netflix after the first day when it locked up twice. Either way, not a bad deal on a Blu-Ray. Just know what you are getting.

taurine

quality posts: 5 Private Messages taurine

I bought this last year at Wally World. I mostly use it for playing movies from my external hard drive. It plays most of my files, but on others it will freeze. The buttons are touch rather than push, but things like "long-press" still work when you need to reboot.

Sometimes even if you have two files with the same h.264 codec, and same mp4 container, one will work, and one won't. I haven't figured that out yet. It might be my movies with AC3 in addition to AAC. Perhaps just have one soundtrack, and make it AAC.

It will also see your shared folders on your computer, which is pretty neat. Once I discovered that, I didn't even have to hook up my portable drive anymore; just leave it with my computer. The feature I use the most is one that lets you replay every move in the directory, which is great if you're a TV-sleeper like me.

It does have Cinavia, unfortunately. Sometimes audio will cut off halfway through the movie with a big warning blocking most of the screen, and other times it closes you out all the way to the main menu.

This past week I bought a Ouya and put XBMC on it. I'm probably going to use that for movie files from now on, and leave the Blu-ray for... Blu-rays.

jawharris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jawharris

I bought a tablet a week ago, it arrived with a broken screen, woot customer service won't respond. I thought they were better than that.

grenade01

quality posts: 6 Private Messages grenade01

I've been waiting for woot to put a non garbage bluray player with a decent price deal up for a year thinking I'd give one for my parents who refuse to move on from VHS. Alas, I'm still waiting....

richiem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richiem

Bought one new. Works well. Little and black with hard to see controls, so don't try to run it without using the remote.

dvdchris

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dvdchris
Glich wrote:BE aware http://consumerist.com/2013/09/06/samsungs-disposable-blu-ray-player-wont-play-new-blu-rays/

refers to a 2009 model, not this one. Although it does say something about Samsung...

missmoneypenny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages missmoneypenny

Only buy this if you need it for a blu ray player. Otherwise get Google Chromecast for $35. Save $4

KidKobun

quality posts: 7 Private Messages KidKobun

This method of pushing Brigadier of Carolling sucks. Go back to the old method of selling them during Woot-Offs.

missmoneypenny wrote:Only buy this if you need it for a blu ray player. Otherwise get Google Chromecast for $35. Save $4

Holy lord! You joined 3 1/2 years ago and this is your first post here?! Congrats on your first post.
Also, blu-ray players can be wonderufl gifts for those with family and friends in remote areas without a fast internet connection.

mrdigby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrdigby

I am not usually concerned with such things, but I find your use of the term "Crapmas" highly offensive. It will be a cold day in July when I make another purchase on Woot or Amazon.

lonestranger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lonestranger

I enjoy humor and especially clever humor but do you think that this Crapmas thing is pushing it a bit? I personally find it very offensive.

[MOD EDIT: Deleted personal information; privacy]

Kbene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kbene

I bought this exact model seven months ago on sale at Costco and it has worked flawlessly. I mostly use it for Netflix but it plays DVDs with no problems. I'd buy another myself.

Kim T. Bene'

ak1803

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ak1803
jrarey wrote:Wishing holiday Wooters more luck with today's WOOT than with this one from NINE days ago that still hasn't shipped and has apparently been abandoned by anything resembling actual customer service; http://home.woot.com/offers/candy-basket-salted-caramels-your-choice

S_H_A_M_E ON YOU WOOT!

I was wondering about my order of those caramels as well, then early this morning I got a shipment notification in my email that they shipped on the 9th, and then they arrived today! So, the notification was definitely a little late, but I did receive mine.

fordhamjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fordhamjr
justonebrat wrote:Damn you woot :|

Denied

What's going on here?

Your payment authorization was denied. You can either sit and grieve, continue shopping, or go back to your cart.

fordhamjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fordhamjr
fordhamjr wrote:

I had the same thing happen to me recently, I got a new credit card and had to go into my account and redo my expiration date and credit card info and that fixed the problem.

wootbrooked

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootbrooked
lonestranger wrote:I enjoy humor and especially clever humor but do you think that this Crapmas thing is pushing it a bit? I personally find it very offensive.

[MOD EDIT: Deleted personal information; privacy]

I'm totally with you on that one! Pretty crude and pushing past the limits....not at all funny.

mart92336

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mart92336

boo hope it doesnt freeze

mart92336

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mart92336

Just got mine today. Haven't had any problems people are posting about. BluRay/DVD works Netflix/Pandora/Youtube work, wifi works with wep doesn't forget my ssid no freezes or stutter. USB works played MKV, AVI, DIVX. Honestly it looked like a new unit in a refurbished box.