binners

quality posts: 1 Private Messages binners
ss4141 wrote:Dang it! Missed the capital X. Congrats to all Wooters who managed to get a bag. 6 years a-Wootin', but still no crap

Yeah, I thought it was a joke tonight with the Facebook page "King Arther's Flour" http://bit.ly/1clxivl

ChrisW6ATV

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChrisW6ATV

These receivers do not have HD Radio built in, and you can no longer get the add-on UP-HT1 HD Radio tuner. This is 2013... No sale.

Figit090

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Figit090
mac daddy1 wrote:Onkyo uses electrolytic capacitors made in Indonesia, not Japan nor the US of A. The chemicals inside are so thin, they quit just before the warranty expires. If you pop some tags at the Goodwill, they always have Onkyos, not very old. That's the reason, aggressive planned obsolescence.

aaack! thanks for the heads up, running!!

Figit090

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Figit090
ChrisW6ATV wrote:These receivers do not have HD Radio built in, and you can no longer get the add-on UP-HT1 HD Radio tuner. This is 2013... No sale.

HD radio!?

Like...that xm thingy?

That's soooo 2003, dude. ;)

Get a dongleeedoo and hook it up to an aux?

bclinton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bclinton1
pseudogourmet98 wrote:If y'all are done with Bawling Over Christmas, can someone tell me how this compares with the Sony STR DN 1040?

I would run very far and fast from Onkyo. Just google 'problems with Onkyo' I've owned 2 an both had HDMI issues as well as they run hot enough to use as a back up stove in case your primary stove goes out. No help from their support folks either. I finally trashed the last one and went with a Yamaha 773. Glad I did....

schelzel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schelzel
bclinton1 wrote:I would run very far and fast from Onkyo. Just google 'problems with Onkyo' I've owned 2 an both had HDMI issues as well as they run hot enough to use as a back up stove in case your primary stove goes out. No help from their support folks either. I finally trashed the last one and went with a Yamaha 773. Glad I did....

Yeah.... I bought a factory reconditioned receiver on woot about four years ago. HDMI handshaking issues galore. I like woot, but that, along with a few other items caused me to run, not walk, away from any refurb stuff on woot. And I also junked my receiver and bought a Yamaha (673).

acraigl

quality posts: 27 Private Messages acraigl

I was going to stay up (EST 1am) to try to get the 12th crap for my wife's account, but seeing how it worked, I'm really glad I didn't. There is no way I would have been fast enough to get it that way.

Kudos, woot for mixing it up and keeping it interesting on the last night.

Kudos, me for having the foresight to prioritize sleep over crap. This time.

sublime-1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sublime-1

Echoing the sentiment of some previous wooters, simply googling "Onkyo hdmi board" should yield enough background to ward you off this product.

I have had everything from the HTIB kits all the way thru a 909, and the 600 and 700 Series persistently have either power supply or hdmi board issues.

Fortunately my higher end models had a 2 year warranty so was usually able to get the factory repaired in 2-3 weeks.

Once my nr-609 dies again (and it will), I'm probably going to switch to a discrete power amplifier and pre-amp.

iamwiz82

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iamwiz82

I tried an Onkyo refurb once as well and it arrived DOA, bad HDMI, so I won't be returning to them.

trichotil

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trichotil

ooooh cant resist another chance to bash craptastic onkyo power supplies.
1 knob dayton dt-100 ftw!

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-100a-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-50-wpc--300-383

hell it's even on sale. great reviews and an easily replaced external power supply though i doubt it will ever have issues. in for 3 they rock!

Scottr268

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scottr268
pseudogourmet98 wrote:If y'all are done with Bawling Over Christmas, can someone tell me how this compares with the Sony STR DN 1040?

Check the following post on Cnet. It compares the 1040 and 840 by Sony.
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-nr626/4505-6466_7-35636573.html

longtrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longtrain
ChrisW6ATV wrote:These receivers do not have HD Radio built in, and you can no longer get the add-on UP-HT1 HD Radio tuner. This is 2013... No sale.

yeah...hd radio sucks. and I work in broadcasting. how you can even think that is a desirable feature is beyond me.

joepirate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joepirate

I have one of these models. It died last week exactly 2 years after I purchased it. Steer clear. I used to be an Onkyo fan but this receiver did me in. I'm still waiting on a reply from Onkyo. If you don't believe me just check out their website posts. Lots of frustrated customers there. Don't say I didn't warn you.

amadeus1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amadeus1
KKadow wrote:Looks like the Onkyo TX-NR626 has similar second-zone restrictions as previous receivers seen on Woot. The user manual says "Only analog, NET or USB input source is output from the ZONE 2... You cannot select different input selector NET or USB for your main room and Zone 2."

This does seem like a bit of an improvement over previous offerings; looks like you can select HDMI on Zone 1 and play MP3s to Zone 2 from a network-attached DLNA file server simultaneously.

Most, if not all receivers at this price require analog connections for Zone2. this has powered zone 2 and line out so you can use just speaker wire to connect to a 2nd room. it's very simple to use this feature. i have an older model (NR3010) but the feature is the same. Don't let the haters fool you.

amadeus1

Figit090 wrote:aaack! thanks for the heads up, running!!

Really? someone make a unsubstantiated claim about where components come from and you believe it at face value? Wow! how about asking a simple question like, how do you know this? or where do the components come from for other manufactures product. Lemmings!

ktking84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ktking84

Look at all the recent comments in Amazon. All negative and 1 star. I had the same receiver and it seems after 2-3 years problems occur. Especially loss of audio. They extend the warranty and fixed it but who knows how long that will last. There is a reason they are trying to unload these refurbed.

webwidejosh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages webwidejosh

So you can't even play your Bluetooth phone music in zone 2 (garage, bedroom, porch, etc.)

KKadow wrote:Looks like the Onkyo TX-NR626 has similar second-zone restrictions as previous receivers seen on Woot. The user manual says "Only analog, NET or USB input source is output from the ZONE 2... You cannot select different input selector NET or USB for your main room and Zone 2."

This does seem like a bit of an improvement over previous offerings; looks like you can select HDMI on Zone 1 and play MP3s to Zone 2 from a network-attached DLNA file server simultaneously.

amadeus1

ktking84 wrote:Look at all the recent comments in Amazon. All negative and 1 star. I had the same receiver and it seems after 2-3 years problems occur. Especially loss of audio. They extend the warranty and fixed it but who knows how long that will last. There is a reason they are trying to unload these refurbed.

The definition of most is "greatest in amount or degree." There is one 1 star ratings on NR626, mostly (33/41) 4 and 5 stars and only one 1 star on the NR727; most (10/12) are 4 and 5 stars. News flash people... some things don't work out of the box and nothing lasts forever. how the dealer and manufacture handles the problem is the key. Anytime I've had to deal with Onkyo, they've taken care of the problem.

webwidejosh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages webwidejosh

How does non-powered work? I've never heard of having to add an amp to a second zone, even with the silly analog restriction.

amadeus1 wrote:Most, if not all receivers at this price require analog connections for Zone2. this has powered zone 2 and line out so you can use just speaker wire to connect to a 2nd room. it's very simple to use this feature. i have an older model (NR3010) but the feature is the same. Don't let the haters fool you.

amadeus1

webwidejosh wrote:How does non-powered work? I've never heard of having to add an amp to a second zone, even with the silly analog restriction.

line out connections for a 2nd zone a pretty common. it just means that the amps in the receiver aren't being used to power the 2nd zone. an amp, connected by RCA cables is providing the power.

jj2k1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jj2k1

I've been seeing these Onkyo receivers pop up on woot over the last year and I really would like to pull the trigger on this as I have a 6 year old Onkyo that I would like to replace. However hearing about the repetitive issues and failures, planned obsolescence, and Onkyos crappy warranty service, I suppose I won't be replacing my working receiver.

And I agree with someone who posted before, its almost 2014, this receiver should have an HD radio tuner as a standard function.

amadeus1

jj2k1 wrote:I've been seeing these Onkyo receivers pop up on woot over the last year and I really would like to pull the trigger on this as I have a 6 year old Onkyo that I would like to replace. However hearing about the repetitive issues and failures, planned obsolescence, and Onkyos crappy warranty service, I suppose I won't be replacing my working receiver.

And I agree with someone who posted before, its almost 2014, this receiver should have an HD radio tuner as a standard function.

having trouble understand these planned obsolescence comments. just because older products don't support new features doesn't necessarily mean it was planned that way. It could very well mean they're actually putting new technologies and features into their products. Take a look at the computer industry if you want to talk about planned obsolescence.

KKadow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages KKadow
lamautomatic wrote:be careful wooters... I have still not received some of my stuff that i ordered in November, and they have not gotten back to me in repeated emails.... this is the email I have sent.

I've gotten what I ordered in November, no issues.

If you need something "in time for christmas", select an item or a vendor that promises exactly that. Woot is not known for the speed of their shipping department.

onkyousa

quality posts: 22 Private Messages onkyousa
craigthom wrote:If I didn't already own a TX-NR515 I would not hesitate to buy the 626. It adds wifi, better Audyssey, and probably me other stuff.

Hello Craigthom;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department; as we would like to thank you for your posting. We also want to inform you that we also have a 24 hour Product Support department available via phone (800) 229-1687, email (onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com) and support forum (forums@onkyousa.com) to further assist you with any questions or concerns you may have on your new Onkyo unit. Thank you again for choosing Onkyo.

szapinski

quality posts: 1 Private Messages szapinski
onkyousa wrote:Hello Craigthom;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department; as we would like to thank you for your posting. We also want to inform you that we also have a 24 hour Product Support department available via phone (800) 229-1687, email (onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com) and support forum (forums@onkyousa.com) to further assist you with any questions or concerns you may have on your new Onkyo unit. Thank you again for choosing Onkyo.

Do you know of any KNOWN bad capacitor or bad hdmi boards issues with the 626 receivers? Are these prone to any problems? We all want to know

dg619ifoom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dg619ifoom

If the NR626 was introduced in mid-2013, how can someone own this “exact” device for longer than it existed? I’ve been looking for a newer AV receiver for quite some time and this had all the features I wanted – especially Wi-Fi, phono (yes, some of us LP-lovers are still alive) and internet radio apps. The NR616 had too many reported problems with HDMI ports for me to consider but after months of research I have decided that, although the 626 “looks” similar to the 616 and other Onkyo’s, there has been enough internal hardware changes for me to take a chance that this newer model won’t have the plethora of hardware failures as was unfortunately common in the past. FYI, I paid full retail on a new NR626 less than a week ago and, so far, it rocks. Hope this one lasts another 20 years!

onkyousa

joepirate wrote:I have one of these models. It died last week exactly 2 years after I purchased it. Steer clear. I used to be an Onkyo fan but this receiver did me in. I'm still waiting on a reply from Onkyo. If you don't believe me just check out their website posts. Lots of frustrated customers there. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Hello joepirate;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department. Upon reading your feedback on your new receiver- it is unfortunate that you experienced this unforeseen issue with 2 year old receiver (as it is not actually the TX-NR 626 as referenced). We would like further information and the opportunity to further assist you with this issue.

Please contact our Parts & Services Dept at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST ; or via email at parts@us.onkyo.com. They can be contacted at 201-785-2600, option # 4 for Parts & Services as they can further assist you regarding warranty and service issues. You will need to speak with the Parts & Services/ Warranty department for any servicing options or resolutions available for your issue. You can also email the following representative for expedite support and servicing (jose.torres@us.onkyo.com) regarding this issue. Please provide this sales invoice and serial number of your receiver for prompt processing. If you have a credit card statement for this purchase; this would also suffice as well.

onkyousa

szapinski wrote:Do you know of any KNOWN bad capacitor or bad hdmi boards issues with the 626 receivers? Are these prone to any problems? We all want to know

Hello szapinski;

Contrary to public and inaccurate folklore; our new TX-NR 626 receiver has received rave reviews and is also currently HOMETHEATERREVIEW.com 2013 BEST OF...

We at Onkyo USA Product Support are readily available to assist you and provide accurate information and support for our esteemed Onkyo products. Please feel free to contact us via email: askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com or our 24 hour Product Support department at (800) 229-1687. We have employed the integration of improved designed HDMI and other internal components and will always stand behind our products- as we proudly thank all for choosing Onkyo.

szapinski

onkyousa wrote:Hello szapinski;

Contrary to public and inaccurate folklore; our new TX-NR 626 receiver has received rave reviews and is also currently HOMETHEATERREVIEW.com 2013 BEST OF...

We at Onkyo USA Product Support are readily available to assist you and provide accurate information and support for our esteemed Onkyo products. Please feel free to contact us via email: askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com or our 24 hour Product Support department at (800) 229-1687. We have employed the integration of improved designed HDMI and other internal components and will always stand behind our products- as we proudly thank all for choosing Onkyo.

Thanks for the response.

wjb216

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wjb216

If your built-in speaker system is set up for 5.2 CH can you run them without problems on a 7.2 CH amp?

onkyousa

amadeus1 wrote:having trouble understand these planned obsolescence comments. just because older products don't support new features doesn't necessarily mean it was planned that way. It could very well mean they're actually putting new technologies and features into their products. Take a look at the computer industry if you want to talk about planned obsolescence.

Hello amadeus1;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we couldn't agree with you more. We are steadily and progressively changing with the times and are known for innovativeness and price conscious advancements to our awesome products. We do not employ inferior internal components into our AV products and also provide exceptional support as well.

onkyousa

bclinton1 wrote:I would run very far and fast from Onkyo. Just google 'problems with Onkyo' I've owned 2 an both had HDMI issues as well as they run hot enough to use as a back up stove in case your primary stove goes out. No help from their support folks either. I finally trashed the last one and went with a Yamaha 773. Glad I did....

Hello Again bClinton1;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we were awaiting your correspondence and documentation of our alleged problematic products you previously owned. We would like to always inform you when you need support and advice on your next Onkyo receiver- we are readily available 24 hours a day at (800) 229-1687 for your prompt assistance. Happy Holidays from Onkyo USA!!

onkyousa

wjb216 wrote:If your built-in speaker system is set up for 5.2 CH can you run them without problems on a 7.2 CH amp?

Hello wjb216;

Yes you can simply disable SURR BACK speakers in the HOME SETUP menu under SPEAKER SETUP> SPKR CONFIG. This will utilize a 5.2 speaker configuration for your receiver.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your Onkyo product, as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

onkyousa

szapinski wrote:Thanks for the response.

Hello again szapinski;

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your Onkyo product, as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

onkyousa

jj2k1 wrote:I've been seeing these Onkyo receivers pop up on woot over the last year and I really would like to pull the trigger on this as I have a 6 year old Onkyo that I would like to replace. However hearing about the repetitive issues and failures, planned obsolescence, and Onkyos crappy warranty service, I suppose I won't be replacing my working receiver.

Hello jj2k1;

We at Onkyo USA and its Product Support department appreciate the feedback you provided. We also want to inform you that we also have a 24 hour Product Support department available via phone (800) 229-1687, email (onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com) and support forum (forums@onkyousa.com) to further assist you with any questions or concerns you may have on product warranty and services. Thank you again for choosing Onkyo and wish your countless years of AV enjoyment as well.

onkyousa

ktking84 wrote:Look at all the recent comments in Amazon. All negative and 1 star. I had the same receiver and it seems after 2-3 years problems occur. Especially loss of audio. They extend the warranty and fixed it but who knows how long that will last. There is a reason they are trying to unload these refurbed.

Hello ktking84;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and upon reading your feedback- we advise you to please review the feedback page for this new receiver via Amazon, Woot, and other authorized dealers. This receiver has also received praise and admiration for its features.

Also as some other Woot users have pointed out; you may need to review your statement again. We are also available to further demonstrate our support and product knowledge via our support forum (forums.onkyousa.com). Thank you again for your post and attention to our stellar products- Happy Holidays to you and your family from Onkyo USA!!

onkyousa

iamwiz82 wrote:I tried an Onkyo refurb once as well and it arrived DOA, bad HDMI, so I won't be returning to them.

Hello iamwiz82, this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department. Upon reading your feedback on your new receiver- it is unfortunate that you experienced this unforeseen issue. We'd hope you would've soon receive a new Onkyo receiver and will happily report back with satisfactory comments on the performance of your receiver. Have you contacted the dealer of purchase for a replacement of the receiver? It is always difficult to indicate the fault of a electronic product- factory new or reconditioned- being discovered non functional. We would hope to provide you with the BEST sound and video presentation we know our products offer.

onkyousa

sublime-1 wrote:Echoing the sentiment of some previous wooters, simply googling "Onkyo hdmi board" should yield enough background to ward you off this product.

I have had everything from the HTIB kits all the way thru a 909, and the 600 and 700 Series persistently have either power supply or hdmi board issues.

Fortunately my higher end models had a 2 year warranty so was usually able to get the factory repaired in 2-3 weeks.

Once my nr-609 dies again (and it will), I'm probably going to switch to a discrete power amplifier and pre-amp.

Hello sublime1;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we want to inform you if you experience any issues with your TX-NR 609 to please follow below.

Please contact our Parts & Services Dept at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST ; or via email at parts@us.onkyo.com. They can be contacted at 201-785-2600, option # 4 for Parts & Services as they can further assist you regarding warranty and service issues. You will need to speak with the Parts & Services/ Warranty department for any servicing options or resolutions available for your issue. You can also email the following representative for expedite support and servicing (jose.torres@us.onkyo.com) regarding this issue. Please provide this sales invoice and serial number of your receiver for prompt processing. If you have a credit card statement for this purchase; this would also suffice as well.

Thank you for choosing Onkyo for your AV needs and we wish you Happy Holidays as well.

Rezfreq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rezfreq
mac daddy1 wrote:Onkyo uses electrolytic capacitors made in Indonesia, not Japan nor the US of A. The chemicals inside are so thin, they quit just before the warranty expires. If you pop some tags at the Goodwill, they always have Onkyos, not very old. That's the reason, aggressive planned obsolescence.

So you're saying if I pick one up at the Goodwill and replace the caps on my own, I'm going to get a great deal?

szapinski

szapinski wrote:Thanks for the response.

Is there an extended warranty we can purchase through Onkyo or do you recommend the extended service plan with Square Trade?
Is it true that since this is refurbished this product does not qualify for the Square Trade service plan?
Is there an extended warranty that can be purchased for this product?