halcyonandon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halcyonandon

Not for the shower or kitchen!? So misleading... and I'm really glad I read the comments before going with the urge to buy.

Come on, Woot... bluetooth shower speakers already!!!1!!!1!

Bione

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Bione
Lened wrote:Pyle offers products similar to its name -- except "of crap" is usually added to the description. Note that the instructions say the speakers ARE NOT TO BE USED NEAR WATER while the Pyle description says they are waterproof. How can you have a waterproof speaker that can't be around moisture? Anyway, I am saying that Pyle products are usually poor quality and not worth even the discount price.

That was my experience with buying one of these last time it was offered on Woot. Volume output was lousy, bluetooth pairing was challenging, and return postage was exorbitant! Mine is now gathering dust.

miketizzy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages miketizzy

Guys, yes the bluetooth range is terrible but the sound is fantastic for the size and PRICE. Pairing is ridiculously easy unlike what some people are saying. I have several of these and none have any QA issues.

I have the Jabra Soulmate and there is not that much of a difference. I am pretty sure the Pyle is louder. No speakerphone on the Pyle though.

Anyone who says the sound is not that loud, isn't turning it up. Unlike other bluetooth devices, this one's volume is independent of the sources volume. So you have to turn both up. Not ideal but it has it's advantages.

The person who thinks one side doesn't work, that is the subwoofer side. All the music comes out of the two speakers on one side.

The charge lasts FOREVER - so the person who has to keep theirs charged needs to send it back for a new one. I am sure Woot will take it back - they are a usually a good company to deal with. They are probably overwhelmed with holiday sales.

BUY BUY BUY

PS just use it wherever, stop worrying about what the fine print says. Take it to the beach! Take in the shower. It's fine. You aren't going to find another rugged bluetooth speaker anywhere near this price.

timothydwyer1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timothydwyer1

Does Bluetooth work under water?

timothytim

appledude9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages appledude9
conanthelibrarian wrote:Appledude9 got one of these in their Crapmas Bag of Carp How do you like it Appledude9?

Whoa, I got a personal shoutout, I feel so famous! *blushes*

Haha anyways, I haven't tried it out yet... I'm a college student and I'm leaving on a 5 hour road trip tomorrow to head back home, so I packed it up with the other goodies from my Crapmas bag to bring home and share with my family. If they don't want it, I'll bring it back to my apartment after the holidays and give it a go. So, unfortunately I can't vouch for it right now, but hopefully the rest of the interwebs can comment on this product in the meantime!

renebruce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renebruce
funkindrum wrote:These speakers sound really good considering their size. Totally worth $39.99. They are sturdy and feel heavy in the hand. I'm not sure how water proof they are, but the construction is heavy duty enough for a camping trip.

I use mine while stand up paddling, and it gets wet from boat wakes, just rinse with fresh water when I get back and no issues going on 9 months now !!!!

To all the cry babies, I'm with the other guy I own 4 of these.. why ? cause I abuse the heck out of mine, as in just took it camping for 21 days in Baja Sur Mexico, yes I charged it up fully, and played it every eve on the beach for about 1hr while chilling by the campfire and it never needed to be charged again, yes the bluetooth range is terrible, but really 6' is plenty for what I do, I carry my iphone in my trunks with it's drisuit case and the pyle on the front of the board and music rocks.. it's loud ( the people complaining that it's not loud ) how about you go back and read the instructions, cause your not cranking it up full volume, I have a 2,000 sqft warehouse and it is loud enough to use when in the back running shirts or what not.. BUY this you won't be unhappy !!!!

Knoobee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Knoobee
Sunshyn1331 wrote:Is this something I could hang from my showerhead?

I bought one last time around (couple months ago) and so far so good. I have it hanging from my shower rod on the back end of the shower. The curtain protects it from getting soaked, but it seems to function fine in the high humidity otherwise.

The battery life has been great. I have charged it once, only because I felt I probably should since it had been so long. It was still working fine.

Sound is good for the purpose. Certainly much better than the phone speakers! For 40 bucks, I'm completely satisfied with this speaker.

As an aside, because of the comments about waterproof problems, I bought the black one, figuring that was the first model and the pictures of it looked solid. I have not submerged it and have had no moisture problems.

zuul36

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zuul36

Ugh. The comments here are all over the place regarding the quality of this. I think I'm going to stay away... even at a good price, I don't feel like buying a piece of junk.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Mescalero wrote:I can't get checked out. There's no place order button visable. Is anyone else having this problem?

Sorry for the problem. This seems to be related to some cached files from the cloud or Woot last week.

If you could try:
Clearing the cache/temp files for your browser
Try a different browser
Restart your computer
Last resort: Try a mobile device.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

swatterx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swatterx

How is the volume? My hearing is not very good so I need something loud. The Galaxy S3 speaker is not cutting it.

uwbrent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uwbrent

I bought one of these the last time they were on Woot. It's awesome. Sound quality is just as good as my jambox. I have taken the speaker and fully submerged it under water. No issues at all. I primarily use it out on my boat and just rinse the saltwater off when I'm done.

reeksterx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reeksterx

OK speaker. The range is kind of weak. I have my iPad in the bedroom and if I put the speaker in the bathroom, about 10 feet away and around a corner, I can't go much further than that. It's a little more bassier than the others I have including the JBL puck like speaker which is very compact and sounds pretty good also. This price doesn't seem to be anything special.

krc333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krc333

I've had this unit for about two months now and it's solid. Really the only negative is the Bluetooth range. If I get my S3 more than 8 or 10 feet away I get a skipping noise. I usually set my phone down right next to it and it's fine.

I use mine mainly in the back yard hanging from a hook on my deck and it has enough volume to fill my backyard which isn't small.

The build is solid, and I love the rubber sides. The unit sounds much better when it's hanging versus laying on it's side.

atomizer

quality posts: 13 Private Messages atomizer
clark3rd wrote:I got one last time, a couple of months ago. Sounds good, except one side of the speakers doesn't work. I sent an email to Pyle asking if it should work and I got, in the words of Genesis, no reply at all. So, good luck on your purchase and here's hoping your unit fully works.

This device is oddly constructed with regards to the buttons & speakers. With the device standing/hanging and the buttons facing you, there are two powered drivers on the left side and two passive radiators on the right. This would be why you didn't notice sound coming out of that side; in reality those passive radiators aid in reproducing low frequencies (bass) so place that side against a flat surface. I'll mention the controls below in my full review.

So I bought one of these a month or two ago, and I generally like it. It sounds good (particularly in the shower), has long battery life (I recharge it once a week and it has never died on me), and sufficient range (the audio player I use is in the next room, not too far away but I've never had any connection issues). Mostly, the fact that it's water-resistant and can be controlled in the shower (changing volume & skipping tracks) are what sold it for me.

The odd things are the speaker positions as described above and the controls. The arrangement of the speakers mean that it's possible to have them or the controls facing away from the user, which is inconvenient at the very least. If I hung it at the opposite end of the shower rod that would either put the controls away from me where I couldn't reach them, or the speakers against the wall, muffling the audio output. This (and the controls) limits the convenience & usability of the device.

Regarding the controls, there are three buttons (power, back/down, forward/up) and the charging port. These 4 objects should really be reversed, because when the unit is hanging/standing the down button is on top and vice-versa. Look at any remote control in your house: if you want to lower the volume, do you press the button on top? Nope, but on this device that's how it works! And imagine skipping to the next station/channel by pressing the button on the left! It works, technically, but is counter-intuitive.

Finally, the worst thing about the controls, and this unit, are that the forward/back buttons are dual-function; one button controls both volume and track skipping. It's nice to be able to skip tracks remotely but the buttons should really be separate. On this device a tap/short press controls tracks, and a hold/long press controls volume. The problem is that a hold will often be interpreted as a tap, so an attempt to adjust volume in the middle of a track will often skip to the beginning or next track. This is even after you've held the button and clearly hear the volume adjustment; the device does both functions with the single activation of one of the buttons. This is why they really should've added two extra buttons and separated the controls. Plus, having volume control attached to the "hold" input is imprecise, and often you overshoot the desired volume and have to use the opposite button to readjust, which increases the likelihood of inadvertently skipping tracks.

I have another bluetooth speaker from Woot (by "Braven") that is actually very similar in functionality: two active drivers, two passive drivers, a pair of dual-function buttons. However, the controls on the buttons are reversed compared to the Pyle: you tap to adjust volume in steps, and hold to skip tracks. This is how it should work, and it does indeed work perfectly.

I like both units, and am going to continue using the Pyle one because it's the only such device I have that's shower-safe, but I will never be happy about the control configuration of this thing.

85 Woot-offs; 4 random craps

troy92850

quality posts: 0 Private Messages troy92850

I have had mine for about 6 weeks now, and I like it a lot.

The sound is really good, and I've used it in the shower every day without any issues.

It has never been directly under the show head, or under water, but the little splashing it gets exposed to has not effected it yet.

Can't really comment on the range as it's usually 4-5 feet from my phone when I use it.

I've gone through quite a few shower radios over the years, and they all had crappy sound and crappy reception in the shower. Now my vocals are improving daily as I can hear more of the music and less of me.

talkaboutus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages talkaboutus

I have no PLACE YOUR ORDER button after I log in and try to place order in my cart. Anyone else getting this ?

ilovereality

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ilovereality
talkaboutus wrote:I have no PLACE YOUR ORDER button after I log in and try to place order in my cart. Anyone else getting this ?

From a reply above.....

ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry for the problem. This seems to be related to some cached files from the cloud or Woot last week.

If you could try:
Clearing the cache/temp files for your browser
Try a different browser
Restart your computer
Last resort: Try a mobile device.

pbarkley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbarkley
darkinc wrote:Thats a big no...

As per the instructions...

WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this appliance to rain 
or moisture.   
CAUTION: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this apparatus to rain 
or moisture. Also, do not remove the cover or back. No user serviceable parts inside. 
Refer servicing to qualified service personnel.

Do not keep the apparatus in a high humidity area such as a bathroom, kitchen sink 
or pool. Keep the apparatus away from heaters, stoves, etc. Never leave the 
apparatus in an area exposed to direct sunlight where there could be a considerable 
rise in temperature.

. The apparatus should not be exposed to dripping or splashing, and no objects filled 
with liquids such as vases, should be placed on the apparatus. 

Not to mention, IPX-4 = Protected against splashing water - Same as IPX-3 but water is sprayed at all angles. http://www.lakemartin.com/BoatingWaterproofSpecs.asp

I've had mine hanging in the shower for months now with ZERO problems. The battery lasts exceptionally long (weeks) with daily use. The sound is meh, ok, but what do you expect for such little speakers. The Bluetooth connectivity can be a bit temperamental, but otherwise very happy with this.

seanswarner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seanswarner

Had mine in the rain for less than a minute...... Now it doesn't work.

joec56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joec56

Did anyone else receive this yet, purchased late on 12/16 & received it on 12/18, getting ready to plug it in to charge, never received any shipping info, here's hoping it's a good one. most definitely did not expect this before Christmas......nice job w00t....really hoping it works!

So far it works perfectly, it is as good as other positive posters have said, really don't like paying sales tax to w00t. buying much less online now.

DOOGIEMILLER

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DOOGIEMILLER
joec56 wrote:Did anyone else receive this yet, purchased late on 12/16 & received it on 12/18, getting ready to plug it in to charge, never received any shipping info, here's hoping it's a good one. most definitely did not expect this before Christmas......nice job w00t....really hoping it works!

I ordered 3(gifts) and my wife ordered 1. They came today and I loike them a lot, but the one my wife ordered was d.o.a.. This is a first after 72 successful woots, and I have faith that WOOT! will take care of it.

heskin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heskin

I bought one, it arrived like 2 days later. I like it. The sound is a tad bit louder than my Jambox, but the Jambox has better tonal qualities and has a more "balanced" sound and a little more bass. But the Pyle is fantastic in the shower. If this comes up again, I'm buying two more -- another for a shower and one for the kitchen. Well worth the $40.

DOOGIEMILLER

DOOGIEMILLER wrote:I ordered 3(gifts) and my wife ordered 1. They came today and I loike them a lot, but the one my wife ordered was d.o.a.. This is a first after 72 successful woots, and I have faith that WOOT! will take care of it.

so... The response is to wait a week or so for the problem to be addressed because you're busy with holiday business? Not exactly stellar customer service.

eflah37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eflah37

I bought one of these and tried it out and it worked great. The next time I went to turn it on it just made a popping noise. I charged it and tried to turn it on again and still nothing but a popping noise. Bummer!

Anyone else have the same issue?

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 120 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

eflah37 wrote:I bought one of these and tried it out and it worked great. The next time I went to turn it on it just made a popping noise. I charged it and tried to turn it on again and still nothing but a popping noise. Bummer!

That sounds no bueno- you may want to check with Pyle since you have a warranty with them, you can find their contact info here.

DOOGIEMILLER

eflah37 wrote:I bought one of these and tried it out and it worked great. The next time I went to turn it on it just made a popping noise. I charged it and tried to turn it on again and still nothing but a popping noise. Bummer!

Any luck getting a replacement or refund? My wife can't get a response from woot.

ThunderThighs

Staff

DOOGIEMILLER wrote:Any luck getting a replacement or refund? My wife can't get a response from woot.

I'm sorry for the late response. I'll let CS know of your concern.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

DOOGIEMILLER

ThunderThighs wrote:I'm sorry for the late response. I'll let CS know of your concern.

Thank you, she is cookiemiller01

ThunderThighs

Staff

DOOGIEMILLER wrote:Thank you, she is cookiemiller01

Doogie, we are unable to locate the emails from the email addresses on your woot account. Could you please email in from one of those accounts or Private Message me a case number?

To PM me, click on the envelope next to my name on this post. To view your private messages, click on the envelope to the right of the Everything But Woot tab.