msadesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msadesign

Reading the comments below I have learned that some of you Woot people are crazy smart but scary.

I am perhaps missing the point of Roku. It basically does what Apple's AirPlay does, no? Dialup Amazon Prime on the iPhone, throw it to AppleTV?

But advice needed: I have an LCD TV I use as a second monitor and want to also watch live TV when the mood strikes me…how can I get my cable channels to this critter without, you know, running a cable across Hill and Dale? We're talking MSNBC, or local channel 2, or whatever.

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
Tufflaw wrote:Currently using a Boxee Box, looking to add a streaming device to another TV in the home. All I want to know is this - I don't care about netflix, amazon prime, hulu, apps, etc.

All I want to do with this is stream stuff already in folders on my PC. I want it to scrape set directories at certain intervals and show me what's new.

Does this do that?

You can do that if you use Plex or the Playon channel but in both cases you'll need a media server running elsewhere on your local network. Plex's client software on the Roku and Plex's media server are both free and work great.

kimberlyjs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimberlyjs
Tufflaw wrote:Oh and I should add that I have an AppleTV 2 that I can jailbreak and run XBMC, not sure if worth the trouble if I can get this for cheap. Any thoughts from anyone who's used both?

I have both, but, like the roku better because I can get my amazon prime content with the roku. Btw - how do you jailbreak the apple tv? Have done it to the phones, but, not atv - please share

cwfenn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cwfenn
crabboy wrote:For what it's worth - I bought one of these from Woot recently. All I get is a scrambled menu screen. Woot tells me it's under warranty and to contact Roku. Roku has failed to respond twice. I have no idea where to go from here. Buyer beware.

Bought one of these during the Woot-Off last week to upgrade my first-gen Roku XD. Hope there aren't too many of them with the same problems.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
CVagts wrote:This really couldn't have come at a better time, as our house is looking to dump cable TV in favor of Roku boxes. Any concerns about it being reconditioned instead of new, though?

I bought my first Roku (XD)as a refurb from Woot 2 years ago and it works great! I've since bought 2 more of the one Woot is offering now and and they too are perfect.
Roku support is excellent. If you have any trouble with the setup their phone support will get you up and running within minutes (my first one needed to be re-flashed.
This is a very good deal (uncommon for Woot lately) and recommend.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

AZdm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AZdm
Tufflaw wrote:Currently using a Boxee Box, looking to add a streaming device to another TV in the home. All I want to know is this - I don't care about netflix, amazon prime, hulu, apps, etc.

All I want to do with this is stream stuff already in folders on my PC. I want it to scrape set directories at certain intervals and show me what's new.

Does this do that?

YES - Just add the PlayOn My Media Channel. Super easy to use. I love it.

HiThere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HiThere

Wireless only, huh? Any problems with delays in the wireless signal if the unit is a floor away from the router?

NoThru22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NoThru22

Warning: Woot knows that it doesn't come with that remote and they have no interest in providing that remote, but they still show the picture with that remote! Shame!

madcat6183

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madcat6183

FWIW, I have 1 of these from Woot(2XS NOT XD, this is the slower version I believe) and a Refub 3 from another seller and both have worked flawless since start. I will say the 3 is way faster and I do prefer it to this model BUT for the spare bedroom/office this is perfect for that. A lot slower menu selections but again, works perefect for a 2nd unit. I would personally buy the 3 if you can find it for under 70(I did).

AZdm

HiThere wrote:Wireless only, huh? Any problems with delays in the wireless signal if the unit is a floor away from the router?

My server/pc is in the bedroom 40 feet from TV with roku. It streams ok. I have a basic 150N router.

AZdm

AZdm wrote:YES - Just add the PlayOn My Media Channel. Super easy to use. I love it.

I think the playon, my media channel is way easier to use and setup compared to Plex. You install the channel on the roku, install the software on your pc, point to the folder where your files are at, click roku channel, select a file and hit play, easy, easy.

http://www.playon.tv/mymedia

Ringo4422

msadesign wrote:Reading the comments below I have learned that some of you Woot people are crazy smart but scary.

I am perhaps missing the point of Roku. It basically does what Apple's AirPlay does, no? Dialup Amazon Prime on the iPhone, throw it to AppleTV?

But advice needed: I have an LCD TV I use as a second monitor and want to also watch live TV when the mood strikes me…how can I get my cable channels to this critter without, you know, running a cable across Hill and Dale? We're talking MSNBC, or local channel 2, or whatever.

Pick up a media server like a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun. Connect it to your router and cable/ antenna input and it will play through any computer ( is also a HD DVR). This might do what you are looking to do.
The Roku does not do this. It simply replaces what many smart TVs and DVD players have built in, BUT it is MUCH faster and is easier to navigate.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

If you already have accounts for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., this would make a great gift for a family member as you can give one to your parents in another state and have them on your account. You can add as many Roku boxes as you want and share accounts with family members all over the country at no additional charge.

geraldcatalanotto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geraldcatalanotto

I bought one of these last month and hooked it up over this past weekend. I have to say I am quite disappointed. The HDMI port was dead on arrival so I can only use the video output port. I contacted Roku and waited for over a half hour on hold. The person who "assisted" me could barely understand English - and was of no help at all. I guess this is the risk you take when buying "refurbished" carp from China...

Ringo4422

admrgd wrote:Junk. No DLNA support, no NAS support.

Why in the world would that matter? Does your TV/ monitor have only 1 HDMI?

XTCfan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages XTCfan
NoThru22 wrote:Warning: Woot knows that it doesn't come with that remote and they have no interest in providing that remote, but they still show the picture with that remote! Shame!

Seriously?!? Woot, is this true?

dcord319

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcord319
NoThru22 wrote:Warning: Woot knows that it doesn't come with that remote and they have no interest in providing that remote, but they still show the picture with that remote! Shame!

Really?

In the box:

Roku 2 3050B XD Streaming Media Player with microSD Slot, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI
Standard IR Remote Control
2 AAA Batteries
Composite AV Cable
Power Adapter

aafa83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aafa83

I'm new to all this streaming media player thing so this may be a stupid question. From researching about the Roku, I read that it doesn't support Youtube. Is there a way to get around that? Also, if I want to stream videos from a site that's not listed on the menu (say, a foreign movie site)can I do that?
Thanks for your help.

HiThere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HiThere
AZdm wrote:My server/pc is in the bedroom 40 feet from TV with roku. It streams ok. I have a basic 150N router.

I have no idea what a 150N router is, but this sounds good. Thanks!

agentfox1942

quality posts: 5 Private Messages agentfox1942

When trying to research this, I can't find any 3050b roku's. Only the 3050R shows up with 2 XD nomenclature. Can anyone help with this? Is this an old model? Maybe the R means retail and the B means refurb.
Thanks

inthelead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages inthelead

We have a specific use case I am hoping someone can help with. We have a promotional video we want to play in our store on a loop in the waiting area. New TV and it has a USB port so we thought we could just put the video on memory stick and let it play. Works fine but won't loop. In researching, some people said you can use a Roku box to do it somehow - maybe with SD card instead of usb. Will this one do that? Is there a 'play in loop from SD card' option or something? Thanks.

richroni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richroni

No HDMI cable?

trlovejoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trlovejoy
crabboy wrote:For what it's worth - I bought one of these from Woot recently. All I get is a scrambled menu screen. Woot tells me it's under warranty and to contact Roku. Roku has failed to respond twice. I have no idea where to go from here. Buyer beware.

Did you try a different cable? A different input? A different TV? If so, same problem?

----------
I woot, therefore I woot.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

So, if you subscribe to NOTHING, how much free content is there with Roku? For example, can I watch The Daily Show (which streams free on their site)

Also, can you play ISO dvd rips over Plex or some other way?

------------------
I Bet on Sky

kamnet

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kamnet
miken927 wrote:So, if you subscribe to NOTHING, how much free content is there with Roku? For example, can I watch The Daily Show (which streams free on their site)

Also, can you play ISO dvd rips over Plex or some other way?

There's tons of free content available via Roku: http://www.roku.com/now-playing

No, you cannot stream .iso files since they are not a video container format. You can always convert them into an .mkv or .mp4 file and stream those via Plex.

Tourney3p0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tourney3p0

Plex runs like utter garbage on the Roku 2. Especially if you try to use it on a wireless network. Plus the screen goes completely black when you fast forward and rewind, so you don't know where you are in the movie.

If you want to stream movies on a network, don't waste your money on this steaming pile. It's good for Netflix though.

benjimorales1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benjimorales1

No youtube? Is there any way to get around that?

edmcguirk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages edmcguirk
Ringo4422 wrote:Pick up a media server like a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun. Connect it to your router and cable/ antenna input and it will play through any computer ( is also a HD DVR). This might do what you are looking to do.
The Roku does not do this. It simply replaces what many smart TVs and DVD players have built in, BUT it is MUCH faster and is easier to navigate.

For those who want to be on the bleeding edge, there is an app to play live TV from HDHomerun Prime. And it looks like the soon to be released HDHomerun boxes should be directly supported without a PC transcoding in between the HDHomerun and the Roku box.
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15760

Otherwise, you need to record TV to disk and then use PLEX or similar program to get your PC files to Roku.

If you live in New York, there is a company called Aero TV offering local TV on Roku.

If you are a Time Warner customer, there is a Roku channel available.

But for the unwashed masses, no live TV.

jahlers

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jahlers
Tourney3p0 wrote:Plex runs like utter garbage on the Roku 2. Especially if you try to use it on a wireless network. Plus the screen goes completely black when you fast forward and rewind, so you don't know where you are in the movie.

If you want to stream movies on a network, don't waste your money on this steaming pile. It's good for Netflix though.

I stream movies and TV shows ripped from my Tivo all day long over this device. It streams from my home server over wireless just fine, but don't try to do bluray quality unless you hard wire it or have some serious transcoding going on.

But yeah, the screen going black is a PITA but you just guess where you are. Sometimes I have to rewind a bit.

This price for being able to stream Dora, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, any Disney Movie, etc for a toddler whenever they want is a steal.

MDubb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MDubb
benjimorales1 wrote:No youtube? Is there any way to get around that?

The Roku3 just added a YouTube channel. No other Roku product supports it.

jimjenkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimjenkins

Youtube is officially coming to the Roku 3 by the first of the year. Can't find any information about it working with the Roku 1 or 2. I just ordered a Roku 3 because of this.

vixro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vixro
richroni wrote:No HDMI cable?

www.monoprice.com

Learn it, Live it, Love it.

paakraat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paakraat

Someone alluded to this in an earlier comment, but I'm wondering if you can get netflix's closed captioning with the Roku 2.

gavspen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gavspen
cfox612 wrote:Bought 2 of these the last time they were up, and LOVE them! We haven't had any issues, saving over $100/month from ditching cable, and really haven't even noticed that we're missing anything. We're Prime members as well, which means a lot of free content there. It's also been fun discovering the free channels available. Highly recommend before they inevitably sell out like before!

As someone who would also love to cut the cord, how does this actually replace cable? It would seem that most of the stuff you're really going to want isnt actually free but requires an extra subscription, no? Doesnt that add up? And can you watch things like local (or network news) news, as it's actually being broadcast?

bowlingb

quality posts: 19 Private Messages bowlingb
drblaw wrote:Yes it can, if you download PLEX Home Theater for Windows or Mac. It is free and can be found at http://www.plexapp.com/desktop/

I am running Plex and I can stream movies stored on my PC as well as my entire iTunes folder to the TV. It works great.

Apparently something is broken with the plex downloads right now.

Firefox can't find the server at downloads.plexapp.com.

mboss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mboss
gavspen wrote:As someone who would also love to cut the cord, how does this actually replace cable? It would seem that most of the stuff you're really going to want isnt actually free but requires an extra subscription, no? Doesnt that add up? And can you watch things like local (or network news) news, as it's actually being broadcast?

You can access local broadcast TV directly with an HD antenna. Pair that with a DVR and you are set for the big 4 networks. If you get Hulu + and Netflix that will only run you ~ $20/month.

possumhopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages possumhopper

Can someone from Woot verify if I will be getting the remote shown?

joelaver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joelaver
geraldcatalanotto wrote:I bought one of these last month and hooked it up over this past weekend. I have to say I am quite disappointed. The HDMI port was dead on arrival so I can only use the video output port. I contacted Roku and waited for over a half hour on hold. The person who "assisted" me could barely understand English - and was of no help at all. I guess this is the risk you take when buying "refurbished" carp from China...

Had the same problem. 1. go to you Roku and set it up using the cable with the red yellow and white. 2. go to setup on the roku and change the display to 1080p or 480p whatever your tv supports. Unplug your red yellow and white cable and plug your HDMI cable in. It take about 5 to 10 seconds for it to show up on your tv. Hope it works for you.

natrldsastr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natrldsastr
gavspen wrote:As someone who would also love to cut the cord, how does this actually replace cable? It would seem that most of the stuff you're really going to want isnt actually free but requires an extra subscription, no? Doesnt that add up? And can you watch things like local (or network news) news, as it's actually being broadcast?

Local news is tuff. Generally those are network products, and not available thru Roku. If you need reality TV, don't bother. If you want to binge watch many series available thru Netflix, or Hulu, Roku is for you. More and more stuff all the time (History channel>American Pickers! yay!) PBS, CBS etc. Don't expect live TV experience. But for less than $20 mo, totally worth it.

abellee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abellee

Bought a total of four from woot. All work great.

Cheers