onkyousa

quality posts: 29 Private Messages onkyousa
entraine wrote:Onkyo? Never again.

The heat-generated issues with the HDMI boards are pretty widespread. After a couple-three years, the boards are cooked to the point of failure. Just check out opinions on www.avsforum.com
Maybe with a Squaretrade 4+ year warranty I could be swayed to consider another one, but doubtful.

Hello entrains; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we do thank you for your posting. We also would like to advise you that we have progressed in the design and performance of our receivers and based on customer sentiment- it shows greatly. Have you recently visited an authorized Onkyo dealer for a demonstration of one of our 2013 models? Our newer units employ more features to dissipate heat and provide more reliability for AV enjoyment. We have always stand behind our products and would love the opportunity to make you a believer as well. Feel free to check our customer reviews on such dealer website as Amazon for this exact model(s). You will see the favorable ratings given and no one heating complaints.

We simply want to show our progression from adaption to providing stellar AV receivers, like you'd expect from such a reputable company.

onkyousa

blipper67 wrote:I read a comment that the Yamaha AVR's are as complicated and confusing as my Denon 7.1. Seems like they just have to over design these things where even a 100 page manual is hard to use. My Denon is over-designed with a lot of techno-marketing driven crap I don't need.

Onkyo? No, been there done that. High end receiver in which the center amp pooped out.

Hello blipper67; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and upon reading your post- what is the model number of the Onkyo receiver you have an issue with? Depending on the model number and/ or if it is currently out-of-warranty; we may be able to offer some options or accommodations to you. We would like to help you resolve the repair of your receiver and provide you with the clean and distinct sound Onkyo is known for.

Please send an email with the model number, serial number of the receiver, pdf copy of your sales receipt OR dealer and date of purchase to askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com. We'd hate to know we could offer some help and you not be aware of it. We also would like to wish you a Happy New Year from Onkyo USA.

onkyousa

mysterytrout wrote:Agreed, Onkyo HDMI = Cr@p. Never, never again. Even if these were 3 for $200 I'd pass. Denon FTW for me.

Hello mystertrout; this is Onky

onkyousa

Jasmine23 wrote:"This is exactly the kind of deal I was hoping to find today. After the holidays it is such a relief to find some bargains to give my wallet a break. Thanks for sharing this great find and Happy New Year!"

Hello Jasmine23; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department appreciate the feedback you provided. We also want to inform you that we also have a 24 hour Product Support department available via phone (800) 229-1687, email (onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com) and support forum (forums@onkyousa.com) to further assist you with any questions or concerns you may have on your new Onkyo unit. Thank you again for choosing Onkyo and also wish you a Happy and Rockin' New Year from Onkyo USA!

onkyousa

jbserra wrote:Were you seeing artifacts in the converted image? I see this with my SD Tivo and Wii. I've been hammering on them ever since and they just told me "Engineering's looking at it" which apparently means they no longer need to talk to me.

Hello again Jbserra; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support dept and we have already updated you via email/ phone call, and Amazon posting. We have even tested using the same components you have mentioned and have not replicated this issue.

We can ask to have your NR 616 reviewed at our facility to determine further what the issue is- as we have recorded video from testing with other NR 616s (customer units and laboratory stock). If this would be ideal for you- please respond back via email: onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com promptly so we can commence a technical evaluation for your receiver.

onkyousa

bclinton1 wrote:I totally agree. Have you noticed the number of Onkyo receivers hitting the bargain sites lately? That is from years and years of problems with them and Onkyo leaving its customers hung out to dry. Later today an Onkyo rep will be on here answering all of these negative posts. You should not screw your customers over....

Help again bclinton1; Happy New Year!! The answer to why we have expanded onto new dealers is that our new receivers are actually awesome and based on customer sentiment on Amazon- they are favorably rated. We have progressed from past issues and are standing more so by our products and services for customers like yourself.

We would simply love to assist you and whichever issue you have with your Onkyo receiver; please email us to askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com for the supervisory department to further review this correspondence.

EmmetBrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EmmetBrown

A couple of weeks ago I bought the TX-NR626 on Woot. So far its excellent for the money I paid. the only issue I've had is that I can't get the wireless to connect. No problem with any other wireless device in my house. The manual says the AP should be in the same room, but that's not realistic for many people. I think I'll be buying a range extender or media convertor to bring an Ethernet cable to the Onkyo.

Regarding HDMI heat issues, I'm not reading about too much of this for the recent products. Its mostly 2012 and previous models. These 2 receivers are 2013 models. I'm also not feeling any more heat from the unit than I got with my 12 year old Kenwood surround receiver. With any modern electronics you need to allow room in the cabinet for ventilation.

abillmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abillmann
mysterytrout wrote:Agreed, Onkyo HDMI = Cr@p. Never, never again. Even if these were 3 for $200 I'd pass. Denon FTW for me.

Yawwwwn. This was absolutely true with 2010 models. Everyone knew it. Onkyo knew it. They've fixed it.

I'm not saying there aren't better options out there, but let's not pretend we know about a serious design flaw and Onkyo is completely in the dark. EVERYONE knows they had HDMI problems related to long-term heat exposure. Think that might have motivated them to get it right?

There's no question Onkyo totally screwed up with those older designs and the lack of support they offered. If that's your reason for not buying newer models, hey, cool. But that does not mean newer models suck. For the money, they definitely do not.

onkyousa

billthegunowner wrote:80W per channel is a little on the low side for a 5.2 receiver. My JVC 5.2 is 130W per channel, and sometimes I wish it had a little more umph.

Hello billthegunowner; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and to compare apples with apples; does your current receiver offer these options:

- Audyssey Room calibration
- 4k video upscaling and passthrough
- InstaPrevue
- Wireless and Bluetooth connectivity (with use of Onkyo UWF-1 and UBT-1)
- Network radio connection
- ZONE 2 LINE OUT capability

for this price and construction- you can't beat this option. Plus a solid unit with exceptional support. I checked and no JVC unit offers at our price point many of the options we provide. Check this weblink for more features of this receiver: http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR525&class=Receiver&source=prodClass.

Thank you again for your posting and for your interest in Onkyo as well.

onkyousa

Wholesaleforless wrote:Yea! What a wonderful opportunity for those who wanted one but missed out when it was on here a week or two ago...

Hello Wholesalesforless; this is Onkyo USA and we hope you take advantage of today's special on our awesome two Onkyo models available today! Tell a friend to tell a friend that we have some cool AV models that will enhance movie night or video game enjoyment with the kids.

We also would like to inform you that we do provide 24 hour Product Support at (800) 229-1687 and also have a FAQ and Product Support forum as well at forums@onkyousa.com to better assist you as well. We thank you for your posting and also for making an excellent choice in Onkyo.

onkyousa

rd760118 wrote:I bought an Onkyo 5.1 last December. Just like everyone is saying the HDMI just stopped working, only had the unit a little over a year. I also found out that it was a B-Stock which means it only had a one year warranty not the two years. The only good news is Onkyo gave me a 45 day grace period so they are going to fix it for me, I was lucky. I searched the web and sure enough lots of HDMI issues with Onkyo. I'm not impressed with the Onkyo quality, I'm not buying another Onkyo.

Hello this is Onkyo USA and we would like to further see what model and problems you are reporting to have. We would like to obtain some information to further see if we can provide more options to you to resolve this more than we offered before. Please send your model number, serial number, pdf copy of your sales receipt and contact information to askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com and the supervisory department will correspond with you promptly. Thank you again for your post and we wish you a Happy New Year from Onkyo USA!!

onkyousa

steveken wrote:The issues I've read about with the Onkyo's and HDMI are that they are using really poor quality capacitors on the HDMI boards. I've seen where, if you bust out your soldering skills, you can go get new caps from Rat Shack and fix them yourself and have them last a LONG time.

And, by what people have said here, this receiver will let you put in a component or composite source and have it come out via HDMI??? You don't have to have another set of component or composite wires running from the AVR to the TV? That is kinda neat.

Hello steveken; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department. Thank you again for posting and interest into our products and yes many of our receivers are capable of upscaling from COMPOSITE or COMPONENT video cabling and outputting via HDMI for improved video clarity.

We also would like to inform you that we do provide 24 hour Product Support at (800) 229-1687 and also have a FAQ and Product Support forum as well at forums@onkyousa.com to better assist you as well. We thank you once again for your posting and also for choosing Onkyo.

onkyousa

ManiacDan wrote:Just chiming in to be the 4526th person to say "never buy an onkyo." Cheaply made, bug-ridden, and have a shockingly high failure rate. Save your money and get a yamaha or a sony.

My current onkyo stopped outputting HDMI last night, requiring a factory reset. Now it won't play pandora. It sees the account and the list of channels, but none of them will play. Firmware is up to date and everything. When you get an onkyo, you're signing yourself up for annoyance and frustration.

(inb4 onkyoUSA starts telling us we're all exaggerating)

Hello again ManiacDan; Onkyo USA here again to assist you. Have you contacted our 24 hour Product Support department for assistance? Have you also contacted our support forum for assistance. As reading your posting- it seems to be an network setup issue- as you have down a FAC reset and haven't probably enabled NETWORK CONTROL/ NETWORK STANDBY and DHCP to enable the network to properly communicate with Pandora's servers. You also possibly need to disable HDMI DEEP COLOR again since your reset.

See- easy. If you still experiencing issues and would like to be promptly assisted- We also would like to inform you that we do provide 24 hour Product Support at (800) 229-1687 and also have a FAQ and Product Support forum as well at forums@onkyousa.com to better assist you as well. We thank you for your posting and also for choosing Onkyo.

onkyousa

On behalf of Onkyo USA; we thank all current and prospective new Onkyo customers for your purchases made today and recently. We believe you have definitely made an excellent choice and we will support you and your product for years to come.

BigCheeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigCheeze

I have an Onkyo surround receiver from the early 90's. When I went to upgrade to a new one, I wanted Onkyo. After doing research, and talking with some people I discovered that Onkyo is no longer the same Onkyo.

Apparently, they made an agreement with Walmart to get in their stores - to meet the famous Walmart low prices, quality had to be reduced. Because it didn't make sense to have a "Walmart" quality line, and a real quality line... everything is now made to Walmart quality standards.

Guess that's why they keep showing up on Woot for cheap as referbs.

stugoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stugoldstein

I been reviewing this Woot site for a few months now when I see AV equipment on sale and I have to ask this question:

by a show of hands: how many people here work for Denon, for Sony, for Yahama, for Onkyo?

It's amazing that a webpage for Onkyo products get so much abuse- yet SONY receivers are cheap and not robust, yahama have a flat sound and Denon's name is going down the toilet. Now Onkyo isn't no better in the PR dept. but I sees from them what I don't see from other manufacturer's- this take charge and we as good as we think we are.. let's put up or shut up mentality.

That really moves me as a avid AV consumer.. I see them answer the same users who say the same recorded responses about HDMI boards but can't tell an aficionado like myself the THD rating of the receiver or why the circuitry is important.

New flash people- receivers are made basically for sound. Video is a added bonus but you should buy a receiver for its sound quality. Now if the sound dies on you- get it repaired. I still have a Yahmam in my basement Im waiting for either Best Buy or Yahama to grow some balls and offer servicing.

Another news flash- the bogus hate just entices more people to view and research more. That's what enticed me onto Woot and viewing from Amazon and crutch field- Onkyos are fairly priced and they seem to be willing to offer out of warranty support. Denon- good luck with that. Its like buying a BMW 5 series to find it works like Volkswagen Passat. And to get service is like you are telling a lie about there product. " WHAT?" " NONSENSE our products are greatly engineered".

Now I'm contemplating on the 7.2 receiver and a 5.2 for a missed Xmas gift to my son-in-law. You will have hit and misses with all products- there is no one MUST HAVE WILL NEVER FAIL product on the market. Let's be sensible ladies and gentleman.

Good Day- Stu

Fardinando

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Fardinando

No HD Radio?

What would it cost to add HD Radio ... like 15 cents? Why is adoption of free digital radio so poor?

steve6611

quality posts: 1 Private Messages steve6611
bclinton1 wrote:I totally agree. Have you noticed the number of Onkyo receivers hitting the bargain sites lately? That is from years and years of problems with them and Onkyo leaving its customers hung out to dry. Later today an Onkyo rep will be on here answering all of these negative posts. You should not screw your customers over....

Most. Prophetic. Post. Ever.

stugoldstein

Fardinando wrote:No HD Radio?

What would it cost to add HD Radio ... like 15 cents? Why is adoption of free digital radio so poor?

Who uses HD radio? Satellite radio is were its at.. A feeble attempt that was worn its welcome.

- Stu

stugoldstein

steve6611 wrote:Most. Prophetic. Post. Ever.

Why is everyone here using monikers? bclinton1? couldn't think of a better president to use? Why not JCarter1? GBush 1 or GBush2? by BObamabinLaden1? Guess you took that time to think of a way to complain about your issue. It's a glad thing you are a microcosm of the buying public today. I see why consumer confidence is down currently in this country.

- Stu

pallaromp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pallaromp

Download the Iphone or Android App and the interface problems are gone.

I am listening to this thing play audio from my NAS music drive controlling it with my Iphone right now.

Oh, and it plays .Flac files too!

This is a fantastic unit and sounds a bit better in 5.1 than my 1500 dollar Denon.

Fardinando

stugoldstein wrote:Who uses HD radio? Satellite radio is were its at.. A feeble attempt that was worn its welcome.

- Stu

Agree to send me $10 a month forever, and I will tell you.

kowidge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kowidge

Yeah so, but you can't plug in a record player - so what's the point?

Fardinando

Fardinando wrote:Agree to send me $10 a month forever, and I will tell you.

Sorry -- my bad -- $15 a month. It's been a while, obviously!

Yes, HD Radio is clearly crap technology, and only associated with low-rent companies like Acura, Audi, Bentley, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Rolls Royce, Tesla, ...

drakar2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drakar2007
kowidge wrote:Yeah so, but you can't plug in a record player - so what's the point?

I guess you missed the 626's 'phono' inputs?

mistershiney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistershiney

The very first A/V receiver was an Onkyo, and I have bought Onkyo's ever since. Never had a problem with them -- until recently. A few months ago I bought a model 616 receiver from another merchant. My 616 has given me a lot of trouble, and if you search the forums (e.g., avsforum, amazon product review, this site, etc.) you will see similar complaints about the model 616 and even the 626 which supposedly replaced it. Several of the complainers stated they followed up with Onkyo support, in some cases updating firmware as directed, or in other cases getting the unit repaired (even multiple times) and yet their problems were not fixed. I am very dissatisfied with my Onkyo receiver and if it were not for the fact that it's past the return period for the merchant, I would have already returned it. I doubt I will never buy another Onkyo product.

--
Mister Shiney

digitaleagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages digitaleagle
ttriolo wrote:Denon is no better. Sent my AVR 2312 back to Denon twice in a year for HDMI problem. They replaced the circuit board the fist time and the second time (had to wait a week for them to finally pick up the shipping) they said there was no problem and sent it back. Still doesn't work. I have a $600 doorstop now. Going to look at Yamaha next time.

Interesting that Denon quality has also dropped. I still have a 12+ year old Denon 3300 AVR that is built like a tank.

I just decided that if I was going to buy another AVR I would spend some money and get something decent. I purchased a Yamaha Aventage 1020. It was last year's model and is priced at about $400 less than the newer model. The only difference in it is the newer model uses different DACs.

There was quite a learning curve but all I can say is I'm very impressed with the quality of the product. It also has a 3 year warranty.

I'm sure Onkyo builds some decent AVR's also - but I wouldn't expect much in this price range.

onkyousa

pallaromp wrote:Download the Iphone or Android App and the interface problems are gone.

I am listening to this thing play audio from my NAS music drive controlling it with my Iphone right now.

This is a fantastic unit and sounds a bit better in 5.1 than my 1500 dollar Denon.

Hello pallaromp; this is Onkyo USA and thank you again for your post showing the innovation and advancement of our latest receivers. We wish you and yours a Happy New Year from Onkyo USA.

stugoldstein

kowidge wrote:Yeah so, but you can't plug in a record player - so what's the point?

Sir- I think you are mistaken. The 7.2 has a PHONO input, not the 5.2 and that's a small shame but not a deal breaker to me. For $100 more I can get 2 extra speakers, a variable multi zone and a Phono input.. and more wattage per channel? Any other manufacturer offered the same between there 2 models and you'd be an Krampus not to jump in. Onkyo gets the first swing- Next will be Yahama,

-Stu

stugoldstein

Fardinando wrote:Sorry -- my bad -- $15 a month. It's been a while, obviously!

Yes, HD Radio is clearly crap technology, and only associated with low-rent companies like Acura, Audi, Bentley, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Rolls Royce, Tesla, ...

You know Sat Radio is also available in those cars.. And its also available continentally/ internationally and readily more available than HD radio. Plus its hard to lock into an HD radio station and its the same playlist crap as FM radio station. Give me Pandora or SiriusXM with Howard any day.

To be obvious- its not implemented because there's no real demand for it. Obviously not a lot of AV receivers at $200 provide HD radio.

stugoldstein

mistershiney wrote:The very first A/V receiver was an Onkyo, and I have bought Onkyo's ever since. Never had a problem with them -- until recently. A few months ago I bought a model 616 receiver from another merchant. My 616 has given me a lot of trouble, and if you search the forums (e.g., avsforum, amazon product review, this site, etc.) you will see similar complaints about the model 616 and even the 626 which supposedly replaced it. Several of the complainers stated they followed up with Onkyo support, in some cases updating firmware as directed, or in other cases getting the unit repaired (even multiple times) and yet their problems were not fixed. I am very dissatisfied with my Onkyo receiver and if it were not for the fact that it's past the return period for the merchant, I would have already returned it. I doubt I will never buy another Onkyo product.

You know whats funny- I actually have an TX-NR 616 and a Pioneer 1223. Both of mine receivers work flawlessly- I might had to wait a century for the firmware to fix my video but it hasn't gone dead since.

Are you sure you doing it right? It can be a pain in the you know what.. but when it works- it works. I say if you have real issues- don't hide behind a kooky nickname- I'm Stu Goldstein and I can proudly sand by what I say- so should every character on this blog.

- Stu

stugoldstein

I have to admit this online chatting is fun.

- Stu

onkyousa

stugoldstein wrote:You know whats funny- I actually have an TX-NR 616 and a Pioneer 1223. Both of mine receivers work flawlessly- I might had to wait a century for the firmware to fix my video but it hasn't gone dead since.

Are you sure you doing it right? It can be a pain in the you know what.. but when it works- it works. I say if you have real issues- don't hide behind a kooky nickname- I'm Stu Goldstein and I can proudly sand by what I say- so should every character on this blog.

- Stu

Hello Stu Goldstein; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we really appreciate your posts and recognize a great AV consumer. Your points are valid and we are happy that we have proven to provide a reputable product. We enjoy acknowledging previous and current customers who share our love for clean and a pristine AV experience.

We would also like to advise you if you need any assistance with your Onkyo AV products or support- please contact us at our 24 hour Product Support department (800) 229-1687.

ParadisePete

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ParadisePete

I don't understand why companies add so many nice features, then at the end stick in only a 110 volt power supply. Even my toothbrush supports all voltages, but this can't?

wootuser1967

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootuser1967

I've had Onkyo receivers for years and in 2010 upgraded my regular AV receiver to one with the HDMI switching capabilities. There was nothing wrong with the old Onkyo. The new Onkyo (TX-SR607) exhibited HDMI board issues at about the 21 month mark. I shipped it to an Onkyo service center and after a long wait for the replacement HDMI board, they fixed it and sent it back pretty quickly.

Knocking on wood, but 2 years after that repair (or nearly 4 years after buying the receiver), it's still working just fine.

If I needed a receiver I'd go for the 626 for $299. Except now there aren't any left. :-p

mistershiney

stugoldstein wrote:You know whats funny- I actually have an TX-NR 616 and a Pioneer 1223. Both of mine receivers work flawlessly- I might had to wait a century for the firmware to fix my video but it hasn't gone dead since.

- Stu

Hi Stu, thanks for your contributions to this discussion: 1) questioning my ability to properly set up my receiver, and 2) questioning my posting under an alias. Gee, that Onkyo rep you are chummy with seems to post under an alias too -- got any problems with that?

But to answer your question, yes, I am "doing it right". I agree with you that the setup of this receiver is needlessly complicated. That seems to go with the territory -- what I AM deducting points here is that the HDMI switching in this receiver is buggy and it has problems which are mentioned on many forums like this one. I have not personally experienced the power supply or heat-failure issues mentioned by some of the other posters but the HDMI switching issues, sudden loss of sound via HDMI, and weird delays when switching inputs are all problems my receiver has in spades. I bought what I thought was a great brand (Onkyo) from an authorised seller and the end result has been negative. I will definitely look at another brand next time.

In another post you downplayed the video switching issues saying that these receivers are meant for audio. I beg to differ, sir. An audiophile would be looking at separate components (pre-amp, amp, etc) not an integrated receiver . A big selling point of these receivers is video and I think your Onkyo friends should be able to explain that to you. I will grant you that as far as I was concerned Onkyo had a good reputation -- their discrete power amplification was a big reason I bought my last three Onkyo receivers. Unlike other brands, if Onkyo said 100w/channel that power output was measured at very low distortion levels, unlike some competitors who would inflate their wattage numbers to move units. Look, I am not saying these receivers suck -- what I am saying is that the HDMI switching and other key features are badly executed and if Onkyo wants to ever earn my business again they can take my 616 back and give me a new model that has none of the problems.

--
Mister Shiney

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

I own an Onkyo HT-RC460 I purchased from the big A for $245 on Christmas Day 2012. So far it is working great. I haven't seen the fireworks or smell of ozone or HDMI issues other posters have. Keeping my fingers crossed the 7.2 channel receiver continues to give me good experiences.

I have also owned a Yamaha natural sound receiver and a Pioneer SX780 receiver I loved back in the 80s until it died. Nothing tops that old Pioneer.

mistershiney

EmmetBrown wrote:A couple of weeks ago I bought the TX-NR626 on Woot. So far its excellent for the money I paid. the only issue I've had is that I can't get the wireless to connect. No problem with any other wireless device in my house. The manual says the AP should be in the same room, but that's not realistic for many people. I think I'll be buying a range extender or media convertor to bring an Ethernet cable to the Onkyo.

Regarding HDMI heat issues, I'm not reading about too much of this for the recent products. Its mostly 2012 and previous models. These 2 receivers are 2013 models. I'm also not feeling any more heat from the unit than I got with my 12 year old Kenwood surround receiver. With any modern electronics you need to allow room in the cabinet for ventilation.

What kind of signal level (wifi) do you get in the room. Network radio should run fine even at very low levels since the bandwidth requirements are pretty low. In my case I had a network switch 3' away, so I just went wired. I usually go wired whenever it is possible.

--
Mister Shiney

mistershiney

pallaromp wrote:Download the Iphone or Android App and the interface problems are gone.

I will give it to you that the Net Radio feature is cool. I actually use the Pandora capability quite a bit. Just wish it had airplay.

--
Mister Shiney

mistershiney

onkyousa wrote:Hello entrains; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we do thank you for your posting. We also would like to advise you that we have progressed in the design and performance of our receivers and based on customer sentiment- it shows greatly. Have you recently visited an authorized Onkyo dealer for a demonstration of one of our 2013 models? Our newer units employ more features to dissipate heat and provide more reliability for AV enjoyment. We have always stand behind our products and would love the opportunity to make you a believer as well. Feel free to check our customer reviews on such dealer website as Amazon for this exact model(s). You will see the favorable ratings given and no one heating complaints.

We simply want to show our progression from adaption to providing stellar AV receivers, like you'd expect from such a reputable company.

are you saying that there IS a heat dissipation problem with the 2012 models? how does Onkyo plan to address that?

--
Mister Shiney