frankz00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frankz00
mfeferman wrote:Also, it holds 24GB of RAM and I run CentOS on it flawlessly.

And...I work for HP.

So are you saying I can put more than the stated max in this laptop?

tjdarge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjdarge
rober67t wrote:no HDMI

No HDMI = deal breaker!

I was really considering it until I read that. The price is pretty good, I don't need anything super powerful and a SSD would spice it right up anyway. But I use it primarily for travel and putting movies up on the hotel tv is a big thing for me. Oh well.

Qiset

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Qiset
ThunderThighs wrote:There are function keys. Look at the row above the numbers. I think that's pretty standard these days.

True, howver, those are pc function keys. They are not application key-pad keys. I need to use vt-100 key-pad keys and would like to do it without using the virtual keyboard. Sorry I wasn't explicit enough.

johndoe123123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johndoe123123

In case it's not obvious guys, off lease means "used". That does not mean refurbished. It will show signs of two-three years of use.

It may still be a good deal, but compare the price to ebay + 1 yr squaretrade warranty to compare.

SDNick484

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SDNick484
mfeferman wrote:Also, it holds 24GB of RAM and I run CentOS on it flawlessly.

And...I work for HP.

You must be on a newer version of the Probook line as according to Intel, the max memory for the processor (i5-520m) is 8GB.

Brihen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brihen
Brihen wrote:I am having a similar problem with Woot.I purchased a Belkin router which does not work, and after 16 days have not heard back from woot other than the initial automatic "We will look into it" email. They are selling junkier products matched with poor customer service. IMHO.

OK I just received my return label,and I take back everything negative I said about Woot. They are back in my good graces. I have bought many items on line from Woot and Amazon and others and this is only my second or third return ever (and the slowest but oh well).

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Brihen wrote:OK I just received my return label,and I take back everything negative I said about Woot. They are back in my good graces. I have bought many items on line from Woot and Amazon and others and this is only my second or third return ever (and the slowest but oh well).

Thanks for sticking with us... and sorry it was so slow.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

blavia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blavia

Wow, how can you spend that kind of money on any woot item, let alone a refurb anything, when there is absolutely no customer service whats so ever. Pray you get the right item and it works or you might as well flush your money.

blavia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blavia
Brihen wrote:OK I just received my return label,and I take back everything negative I said about Woot. They are back in my good graces. I have bought many items on line from Woot and Amazon and others and this is only my second or third return ever (and the slowest but oh well).

had the same thing happen to me haven't heard anything in two weeks -looks like days of woot are no longer woot but duud!

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
escalante wrote:But you nailed the reason I do not buy from them. I also have checked their site for years but have NEVER purchased anything from them. You have to assume too much. If I purchase a refurbished item, it HAS to be factory refurbished. But they do not even state who warranties this laptop and there no easy way to find out, so why take the chance?

NO FORUM = NO SALE

I have had no problems with any of my purchases from 1Sale. Woot lowered their price from $299.99 because 1Sales price included free shipping and no tax to more states. Now woot has the best price but you can thank 1Sale for the competition. I had posted a link to the 1Sale site with this same laptop but it has been deleted.

[MOD: It was deleted because it had already been posted earlier and was being discussed.]

shortwave8669

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shortwave8669

1sale is now sold out of this item

escalante wrote:But you nailed the reason I do not buy from them. I also have checked their site for years but have NEVER purchased anything from them. You have to assume too much. If I purchase a refurbished item, it HAS to be factory refurbished. But they do not even state who warranties this laptop and there no easy way to find out, so why take the chance?

NO FORUM = NO SALE

AutobahnSHO

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AutobahnSHO
micamoca wrote:NO FPO / APO WHY?

Bought a laptop here last week on "Sellout" tab.

That's cool, we'll stop blocking the Chinese from hacking WOOT!

WOOT has no Love for the Military?

Seems all the items which have lithim-ion batteries are not allowed because airlines now will not carry them- and shipping to APO/FPO sometimes goes via air.

Booooo for batteries which catch fire...

me= BASD 20000413, PFCIC of APO 09086 MAY-NOV2001

dufoes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dufoes

Longtime lurker here, finally made an account for this.

Question on this deal: I feel like I have zero way of knowing what kind of condition these would come in. WOOT, can't you do a better job than saying "Refurbished"? Are these certified in any way, and by whom? Who were they refurbished by - the manufacturer? What does it's "refurbishment" entail? Please provide some additional information here.

Throwing "Off Lease" out there without other key information such as the above leaves me without enough confidence in the condition/viability of the product to purchase it. The WOOT customer service issues I see posted here and WOOT's no return policy also do not help.

kenerg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kenerg
frankz00 wrote:So are you saying I can put more than the stated max in this laptop?

12 gig Dimms? I hope he doesnt work for HP,... (I also work for HP)

Max is 16 gig.

Can Woot confirm that HP branded memory is installed? (typicly has a better cache latency 2.5 vs 5)

kenerg

tjdarge wrote:No HDMI = deal breaker!

I was really considering it until I read that. The price is pretty good, I don't need anything super powerful and a SSD would spice it right up anyway. But I use it primarily for travel and putting movies up on the hotel tv is a big thing for me. Oh well.

Display port can be converted to HDMI with a dongle... I do it today.. http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B005H3I38Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389042138&sr=8-1&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi

ThunderThighs

Staff

kenerg wrote:12 gig Dimms? I hope he doesnt work for HP,... (I also work for HP)

Max is 16 gig.

Can Woot confirm that HP branded memory is installed? (typicly has a better cache latency 2.5 vs 5)

We would have no way to confirm that on every computer. Sorry.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

dufoes wrote:Longtime lurker here, finally made an account for this.

Question on this deal: I feel like I have zero way of knowing what kind of condition these would come in. WOOT, can't you do a better job than saying "Refurbished"? Are these certified in any way, and by whom? Who were they refurbished by - the manufacturer? What does it's "refurbishment" entail? Please provide some additional information here.

Throwing "Off Lease" out there without other key information such as the above leaves me without enough confidence in the condition/viability of the product to purchase it. The WOOT customer service issues I see posted here and WOOT's no return policy also do not help.

These are refurbished by a 3rd party, not by HP. We use the term "Factory Reconditioned" when an item is reconditioned by the manufacturer or a 3rd party they designate.

Our official definition:

“Refurbished” covers everything from buyers’ remorse to returns and products whose defects have been repaired by the pros to damaged packaging and discontinued items. If you can accept their checked past, refurbs have a lot of love to give.

FORUM MODERATOR

jimsinkorea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea
AutobahnSHO wrote:Seems all the items which have lithim-ion batteries are not allowed because airlines now will not carry them- and shipping to APO/FPO sometimes goes via air.

Booooo for batteries which catch fire...

me= BASD 20000413, PFCIC of APO 09086 MAY-NOV2001

There are no restrictions on shipping batteries to APO/FPO anymore.

jimsinkorea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea
pgillies wrote:SO, what you're saying is that a business shouldn't operate if it can't meet the extremely specific shipping needs of military personnel. I'm sorry, who's being selfish again?

It ships via USPS, not extreme or any different than shipping USPS to your home.

kenerg

ThunderThighs wrote:We would have no way to confirm that on every computer. Sorry.

Thanks!

timhart1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timhart1

Since they were bought by Amazon its been hard for them to get their orders right. This was a deal I would have bought but I am still waiting for them to get my last woot fixed..Hummmmm seriously? I worry about wooting till satisfied. Am I the only one?

TGPhilly666

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TGPhilly666

This is a 3 year old laptop. Processor isn't bad, just original generation of i5 when they're currently on the 4th generation. Battery life is pretty short, small hard drive, thick and heavy. A new machine at $400 will be much more modern in appearance and features. As a kids laptop or something like that, this is a good deal since it could take some abuse.

wiator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wiator

Any idea if the refurb. includes a new battery or is it luck of the draw?

ienvyno1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ienvyno1
ThunderThighs wrote:We ship from various locations.

If an item ships from an Amazon warehouse (our inventory), they have access to a variety of shipping methods to get the item to its destination in the most cost effective way. This includes the ability to use FedEx Smartpost or USPS to get packages to the military addresses.

Some items, like this, are drop shipped directly from the vendor. They use FedEx and FedEx won't deliver to PO Boxes. APO/FBO = PO Boxes.

I'm sorry. It's definitely not meant as an insult to our hard working military personnel.

Got the drop shipped right or is that shipment dropped? Saw FedEx many times just fling the neighbors shipment onto her front porch. Looked like he was going for gold on those throws.

rarson

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rarson

The size of the hard drive and the lack of HDMI shows you just how old this thing is. This is a first-generation Core i5, not a bad chip, but not nearly anything recent. This is barely a bump above a Core 2.

Even worse, it's a dual-core. I just don't see the point of buying anything less than a quad-core if you're going for an i5 or higher. Perhaps you just want a machine for surfing the internet, but in that case, I'd recommend any number of NEW laptops with newer processors, like an AMD APU which has graphics that blow this thing away, for only about a hundred dollars more. Oh, and all of them come with at LEAST 500 GB of hard drive space.

I just don't see the value here. I'd pay $280 for a refurbished version of a $350 laptop, but this doesn't come anywhere near the specs of any new $350 laptop. The Core i5-520M might still be competent, but the Intel graphics that come with it certainly aren't. And HP's support sucks, as does their build quality from this era. There's good reason for why there are a bunch of these available as refurbs.

gudsport

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gudsport
Brihen wrote:I am having a similar problem with Woot.I purchased a Belkin router which does not work, and after 16 days have not heard back from woot other than the initial automatic "We will look into it" email. They are selling junkier products matched with poor customer service. IMHO.

Well, I was sent a message telling me that business was so great for them that they probably would not have time to answer my email for awhile. That really made me feel good...for them. Meanwhile, the refurb warranty clock keeps ticking and it was especially nice to be told when I requested the RMA that the time it took to fix my device in no way stopped the refurb warranty clock from continuing to tick away.

rjpsjfg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjpsjfg

I am surprised that Woot would offer several hundred (I would image that quantity) and yet not get an accurate photograph from those for whom they are selling the product.

In this day and age with digital imaging you can't get some one to e-mail and ACCURATE photo of the product to post with the previously mentioned 'cutesy Woot text we've all come to expect'.

Must agree since Amazon purchased Woot it's not nearly as fun nor user/customer oriented.

mfeferman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mfeferman

I'm saying you can run 24GB RAM in this thing.

frankz00 wrote:So are you saying I can put more than the stated max in this laptop?

"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."

mfeferman

Mine has three memory slots with 3 - 8GB sticks.

If you want to meet at the Houston campus, I'm happy to show you.

kenerg wrote:12 gig Dimms? I hope he doesnt work for HP,... (I also work for HP)

Max is 16 gig.

kenerg

mfeferman wrote:Mine has three memory slots with 3 - 8GB sticks.

If you want to meet at the Houston campus, I'm happy to show you.

Sent you an email at your work address! Please provide a pic...

kenerg

SDNick484 wrote:You must be on a newer version of the Probook line as according to Intel, the max memory for the processor (i5-520m) is 8GB.

I am going to take a guess and he is using an 8560W as that has 4 Dimm slots. As he stated he has 3 8 gig dimms

mfeferman

I stand corrected...
I have a 6460b Probook.
My bad.
Sorry.

kenerg wrote:I am going to take a guess and he is using an 8560W as that has 4 Dimm slots. As he stated he has 3 8 gig dimms

lightyear1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lightyear1

Is this llaptop refurbished by the maker, HP?

mwilkes83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwilkes83

Has anyone had any luck lately in getting Woot to reply to a support email?

mfeferman

By the way, my trusty fellow HP employee (and Wooter) set me straight! I have the 6460b with a max of 16GB of RAM.
Still, running Linux, it rocks!

mfeferman wrote:I stand corrected...
I have a 6460b Probook.
My bad.
Sorry.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind

I know this is a late reply but your post contains enough obvious inaccuracies that it still deserves a fair response.

rarson wrote:The size of the hard drive and the lack of HDMI shows you just how old this thing is.

You might want to note that DisplayPort is actually about 4 years NEWER than HDMI. Also I'm pretty sure the small docking station that most of these business class models can connect to supports DVI/HDMI and possibly even dual monitors, etc (if desired) and those should be fairly easy to find cheap for older models.

I'd pay $280 for a refurbished version of a $350 laptop...

This is actually a refurbished version of an ~$800 laptop, but off-lease generally means a couple of years old, so of course you're not getting the latest processor, etc, and the lower price reflects that.

And HP's support sucks, as does their build quality from this era. There's good reason for why there are a bunch of these available as refurbs.

Actually their business support has been mostly top-notch, AND that's also irrelevant in this case since it carries a Woot warranty, not an HP one. The reason there are so many of models like this is because businesses leased huge quantities of them to issue to employees, got a couple years of good use out of them, and they were still in good enough shape to clean up and sell again. That actually illustrates the opposite of the incorrect point you were attempting to make.
The same also applies to Lenovo and Dell business-class laptops. You'll find lots of them off-lease and seller-refurbished years later because the business class products tend to be sturdy and well-built, and were high enough spec'd originally to still be useful.

In contrast, a laptop that's $350 when new is much less likely to stand the test of time so well.

It's personal preference though. Some people like to get something new and shiny every year or two while others prefer to spend more and keep something longer. There are reasonable arguments to be made for and against either philosophy.

mfeferman

+1

(how do you like them apples?!)

kmartind wrote:I know this is a late reply but your post contains enough obvious inaccuracies that it still deserves a fair response.

Actually their business support has been mostly top-notch, AND that's also irrelevant in this case since it carries a Woot warranty, not an HP one. The reason there are so many of models like this is because businesses leased huge quantities of them to issue to employees, got a couple years of good use out of them, and they were still in good enough shape to clean up and sell again. That actually illustrates the opposite of the incorrect point you were attempting to make.
The same also applies to Lenovo and Dell business-class laptops. You'll find lots of them off-lease and seller-refurbished years later because the business class products tend to be sturdy and well-built, and were high enough spec'd originally to still be useful.

In contrast, a laptop that's $350 when new is much less likely to stand the test of time so well.

It's personal preference though. Some people like to get something new and shiny every year or two while others prefer to spend more and keep something longer. There are reasonable arguments to be made for and against either philosophy.

bvzhong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvzhong

I bought this as refurbished but I received a USED ONE! This is the 2nd time I was cheated by WOOT!!!! I sent the complaints to WOOT a couple times; so far, I got no response!!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

bvzhong wrote:I bought this as refurbished but I received a USED ONE! This is the 2nd time I was cheated by WOOT!!!! I sent the complaints to WOOT a couple times; so far, I got no response!!!

I'm sorry you're unhappy with the computer. They were listed as refurbished "off lease" laptops. We do no accept returns for cosmetic damage on refurbished/reconditioned items.

I'll let CS know to look for your emails.

Update: CS doesn't have any emails from the email address on your Woot account.

FORUM MODERATOR