fantismalspider

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fantismalspider

I've had the tall one of these for about two years now, and I can't imagine waking up any other way. Haven't had a single zombie-morning in two years. the light starts half an hour before the alarm it's set, so walking up it's gentle, no heart-attack inducing BEEP BEEP BEEP! My cat has also learned that the light= cuddle time, and the birds= food time, so right now, for example, she's curled up in my lap while I write this. In another minute, the birds are going to start chirping and she will drag me from my warm bed to feed her. No better way to get up for work.

At full brightness, this light is BRIGHT! It has no trouble waking me up from across the room.

Because I love this clock so much, I have a replacement halogen bulb sitting in a drawer, just in case. Two years on, and I haven't had to use it, but it only cost a couple of bucks on Amazon.

I know, I know, $80 for an alarm clock? Not worth it. But $80 to never wake up feeling exhausted? $80 to skip the overwhelming NEED for morning caffeine? $80 to spend every work day morning just cuddling with my cat in my cozy bed without worrying about losing track of time and being late? Bargain of the century.

maninblack

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maninblack

I've been using the tall model for two years now, with the nature sounds option (bird song). Love this alarm clock. What used to be hit-or-miss waking up at 5 AM every day, sometimes relying on my phone's alarm as a backup, is now a wake up that I never sleep through. Can't recommend this kind of clock.

Yes, it's more expensive than a cheap, blaring alarm clock. It's worth every penny.

jasonmatthews

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonmatthews
Parkertron wrote:Can anybody comment on how much light is omitted from these when they're not lit up and trying to wake me? I sleep in a blacked out room and try to keep any light to a minimum. The notification light on my phone is about it.

They get quite bright. Get the round one, there are known issues with: bulb life of the tall oval one and the multifunction switches on the tall oval on, We have had both. The round one has buttons and switches that are easier to use. Both are pleasant to wake up to, and are effective at waking my wife who has a hard time waking on her own. She feels they have transformed the aversion she has to the hours before noon from a horror show to a pleasant time to be alive.

thechocoholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thechocoholic
fantismalspider wrote:I've had the tall one of these for about two years now, and I can't imagine waking up any other way.

I've had one for about the same, though I searched my Amazon orders (Dec. 2011) and it was actually model HF3471. I can't figure out what's different about this model though, other than the one I have cost less but is no longer available. I love the thing, but actually found it best for me to set a regular alarm for about 10 or so minutes after this light starts to come on - it usually wakes me up as soon as it comes on, and something about the 30 minute wait made me feel restless (not in a waking up way, but an annoyed way). I also (knock on wood) have not had to replace the bulb.

My cat also knows that the light means cuddle time, but I have to use the chimes instead of the birds because the birds drove her nuts - too real I guess.

won23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages won23

I just purchased the 3510. A little expensive for a wake up but have to omit I'm really looking forward to the dusk feature. Hey Woot, thanks always for the speedy deliveries. Omit, lol

juliaktx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaktx

I bought the one on the right about a year ago, after a different model I had died. Love it!

mmmsoap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mmmsoap

I have the HF3740 model, and I can tell you that it has absolutely changed my life. I live in the north, where the sun rises about 15 minutes before I'm due at work, and waking up in the dark sucks and is difficult.

The light gets brighter and brighter over a half hour period, timing it so the brightest light and the alarm/sound/radio go off at the time you want to wake up. When I wake up, it's no longer being jarred awake violently by an alarm, but more nudged awake.

Highly recommended!

inflationary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inflationary
honeybadger12 wrote:A few things I want to add in addition to my post above:

- The chirping birds and the bells sounds are repetitive. This has caused me to use the regular alarm sound. This is not a deal-breaker to me.

- When I initially bought this on amazon last spring, I was deciding between the halogen version and the LED version. After reading several reviews for both, I decided to go for the halogen version because: 1) I read that the light from the LED version is directional and if it's not pointed toward your face, it's not as effective, and 2) if the LED goes out, you're screwed, whereas if the halogen bulb goes out, real simple to replace.

Thanx for the clarification. Birds and bells...I was hoping for water and wind. Techno comment: "Halogen" bulbs are tungsten filament with halogen gas and a small quartz envelope. They are intended to be used at full rated power because the evaporated tungsten will only then NOT deposit on the hot quartz envelope. Below full they darken and burn out prematurely. And the bulbs are rather costly. All that said, we used Tungsten Halogen bulbs at work with Variac dimmer in the labs...replace as needed. My cats might attack the lamp if set on "chirping birds"...that would surely wake me up!

yduras

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yduras

I love the concept, but I sleep with a sleep mask, which probably would defeat the purpose...

twinkle391

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twinkle391

So, my alarm failed to go off this morning. Is today's Woot serendiptous or what?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Found one of these branded "Sunbeam" at Goodwill new in box for $5. However, my version used the small peanut-sized bulb (not LED) and had a warning sticker on the top about the possibility that the top could get hot.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

fuzoid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzoid
JTMc wrote:I don't think they omit any light. They give all the light they can. None is left out.

I believe I need to get one of these alarm clocks as I wake at 4AM every morning and am always dragging. Even now, after a 5 Hour Energy, cup of espresso and a Provigil, I still can't wake up. So when I read the comment you were replying to it didn't register they meant "emit," not omit. Until I read your reply, that is! All I can say is Hahahaha!!! Thank you for the laugh this early in the morning. But not even that has helped me to shake the morning fog so I'm moving on to my next cup of coffee now.

kframe19

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kframe19

A few years ago I took a job that requires me to get up at 4:15 a.m. I was having a horrible time adjusting until I bought an HF3740.

It's still not entirely pleasant getting up that early, but it is a LOT easier with the Wake Up Light.

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako
sdc100 wrote:LED technology is still expensive which is why most homes have not converted to them yet.

$20 more expensive than halogen? (Although... depending on the connector, it might be possible to refit the Halogen with a smaller LED bulb.)

radi0j0hn

fuzoid wrote:I believe I need to get one of these alarm clocks as I wake at 4AM every morning and am always dragging. Even now, after a 5 Hour Energy, cup of espresso and a Provigil, I still can't wake up. So when I read the comment you were replying to it didn't register they meant "emit," not omit. Until I read your reply, that is! All I can say is Hahahaha!!! Thank you for the laugh this early in the morning. But not even that has helped me to shake the morning fog so I'm moving on to my next cup of coffee now.

Wow Does your doctor know you are putting all that stuff in your system as well as the prescribed sleep-disorder medication? There must be a better way, at least I hope so.

legacy5k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages legacy5k

I had owned the taller model for a couple of years. I can't believe that I'm not seeing any comments about the two MAJOR issues that I had with it which led me to sell it on eBay.

1. The time is extremely dimly lit even at full brightness, and the viewing angle is awful. You have to look at it from just the right angle to see the time, and that's incredibly annoying in the middle of the night when you don't feel like moving around.

2. It keeps horrible time. Mine would probably lose a couple of minutes every month! Completely ridiculous considering the price of this thing.

Maybe I had an early model... I have seen others with these complaints as well though. Be warned! It's not much of an actual clock.

Panther2k3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Panther2k3
pakopako wrote:$20 more expensive than halogen? (Although... depending on the connector, it might be possible to refit the Halogen with a smaller LED bulb.)

The time and materials to refit the Halogen model with LEDs is going to cost you less than $20?

jjdche

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jjdche

Well, someone needs to say something negative about this thing!

It seems like lots of people love these, but it really didn't work for me. For the first couple of weeks it definitely helped, then my body got used to it and it was completely useless.

It was functionally fine, no problems there. I think it should be brighter. It didn't really light up the room, but if it was right next to you it's fairly bright. For $100 you'd think they could afford to put a freaking light cannon in the thing. Someone earlier mentioned a lamp on a timer. I honestly think that would be better than this. It's nice that it gradually gets brighter, but I don't know if that's really necessary.

hillabeans22

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hillabeans22

I bought the HF3510 last January. Long story short - I really like it. Long story long - here's the Amazon review I gave it after a month of use. Everything still applies a year later:

I bought this HF3510 Wake-Up Light to replace our old, standard, digital little radio/alarm. I was a little freaked about spending $100+ (as of January 2013) on an alarm that I wasn't even sure was going to wake me up...but it has quickly proven to be a good choice.

I primarily went in hoping that it would deliver on the claim that it "improved the quality of waking and left them more energized and in a better mood", but I also was just tired of the obnoxious alarm noise that came from our previous alarm clock. I'm not sure about the whole energized part of it, but I can tell you it has definitely left me in a better mood. Now I don't know if that can really be attributed to this wake-up light, or if it's just the fact that I don't wake up to the previous alarm's terrible sound. But really, I don't care. One way or another it did deliver on that claim.

I tend to wake up to the light about 15 minutes before the alarm sounds start going off. (Alarm sounds being the "chirping bird" sound available on the device.) I like just being able to lay there and slowly wake up for the next 15 minutes as the light gets brighter. (As the bedroom sun rises? Sure. OK. I can roll with that. It does actually feel like it.) If that sounds like a way you'd like to wake up too, then I'd definitely recommend this to you.

Pros:
- Delivers on the "leaving me in a better mood" claim, and maybe the "more energized" claim. I'm not really sure, I've also been working out in the mornings. Who knows how much of my energy comes from the light or from the exercise? Not I.

- If you have to wake up to an alarm, this is absolutely, 100%, no doubt the best alarm to wake up to. It is guaranteed to not make you want to throw it across the room.

- It looks like a little rising sun! Aw.

Cons:
- Maybe I was just having a stupid day when I tried to program this, but it took me longer than I expected. Maybe 20 minutes. I don't know if this is really a con, but I was annoyed. I work in tech. It shouldn't be that hard, right? Again, maybe this really isn't a "con" ... maybe it was just a day where I was stupid.

kaepora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaepora

I received the tall model as a Christmas gift. While I'm somewhat on the fence as far as whether or not it makes me feel better in the mornings, I do know that I've woken up to the light virtually every morning - that is, just a few minutes before the birds chirp I'm opening my eyes. It's pleasant. I also love that it functions as a great bedside lamp, as I can make it bright enough to illuminate the entire room and dim enough to not wake my wife. I've never noticed it getting hot, though I'm sure it would if I left it on for hours at a time.

marbaulo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages marbaulo
Parkertron wrote:Can anybody comment on how much light is omitted from these when they're not lit up and trying to wake me? I sleep in a blacked out room and try to keep any light to a minimum. The notification light on my phone is about it.

I've had the 3470 for about three years. I find the display illumination to be very minimal. When i wake up and want to see what time it is, I have to search it out. I don't need to cover it.

hanuta44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hanuta44

I bought the tall unit (3470) just in November of 2013. Like some here, I waffled between the tall one or the round one. In the end I went for the tall one for various reasons.
First the buttons on the tall one are all down the side in one row, with the one to use the lamp as a side lamp having a little spike on it so I can find it easy by touch.

I also love the snooze bar as it is. Its a metal stick basically. You set the alarm with it, turn the alarm off of snooze, all with that one. When the sounds comes on I like to snooze once so all I have to do with my eyes still glued shut is reach over, find that metal bar and push it down. I don't have to actually look where the darn buttons are.

I also use it as a reading lamp each night before turning in. And it works fantastic for that. I use it on 15 and it is the setting kept then for the wakeup light. For the alarm in the morning it uses the setting you used it as a lamp the night before. So if you want to read at 20, but wake up with it at 15, you have to change the light before you turn in. You can do that while the light is still on, or after you turn it off. Again, the buttons on the side are easy to feel with the fingers.

In the mornings I kind of wake up when the light initially comes on. But its a gentle wake up. Just keeps getting brighter and brighter.

The sounds for the tall one are some crazy birds and something that sounds like wind chimes. I have used both and they are both pleasant. But by then I am pretty much ready to get up anyway. Well, after one snooze that is.

Oh, and the display is not too bright. I cannot stand having lit up things in my room when I sleep. But there are 4 settings for the brightness of the light, I think its 4, I used the dimmest. And because its the cylinder shape, I just slightly turn it away to the left so the display is not pointing towards me in bed. But because again the buttons are so easy to find and the metal bar is so obvious, you can have it face pretty much any direction you want.

So for me it wasn't expensive as I needed a good reading side lamp and a new alarm clock anyway. So I got that all in one. Saves space for me on my small side table too.

And I have been way less grumpy in the mornings now.

marbaulo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages marbaulo
legacy5k wrote:I had owned the taller model for a couple of years. I can't believe that I'm not seeing any comments about the two MAJOR issues that I had with it which led me to sell it on eBay.

1. The time is extremely dimly lit even at full brightness, and the viewing angle is awful. You have to look at it from just the right angle to see the time, and that's incredibly annoying in the middle of the night when you don't feel like moving around.

2. It keeps horrible time. Mine would probably lose a couple of minutes every month! Completely ridiculous considering the price of this thing.

Maybe I had an early model... I have seen others with these complaints as well though. Be warned! It's not much of an actual clock.

Having the time be dimly lit is actually a PLUS for most people. I don't want the time to light the room up or the whole idea of sleeping in a dark room and waking up to "sunrise" is moot.

As for keeping time... I've had mine three years and only reset it when I moved and it was unplugged for a day. Sorry - think mine was a good one on that front.

dkf295

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dkf295

I got the 3470 for my wife when she started working overnight shifts a few years back and had a horrible time adjusting and waking up. As a straight-up "sun lamp" it's second-class and doesn't have a ton of brightness but still works. As a sun-alarm-clock it's awesome! The gradual brightening is an awesome feature, and I wish my own alarm clock would gradually get louder with bird sounds like this one.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871
JTMc wrote:stuff

Are these your initals?

O.O mine too...

John Thomas?!

(did you just feel like you were in trouble? I kinda did...)

kierkier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kierkier

I am comforted to read all the positive reviews here. I have what I will call a self-diagnosed case of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder.)

While most the sound science research I've read on this topic recommends spending about .5 hours a day in front of full spectrum lighting to offset seasonal lighting changes (in the winter/darker months), there is quite a bit of research out there on establishing patterns of waking to sunlight as well. I guess I am hoping this purchase can provide some relief.

As a newer disorder in the realm of psychology, there are a large number of goofy remedies out there. This alarm clock, at least, seems to provide other functionality besides the lighting effect. In for HF3510.

mrdancer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrdancer

Just a comment on status of LED lights. I got some really nice CREE 60W-equivalent light bulbs from HomeDepot for $12.97, they use 9W. They are the warm white bulbs and you cannot distinguish them from an incandescent 60W bulb. They are dimmable, also, but when you dim them the light remains the same color, not deep orange like incandescents will dim to, and their dimming range isn't as great as incans. There are a lot of bad (directional) LED bulbs out there, but these HD CREE ones are nice. The bulb itself feels rubbery and remains cool to the touch.

I also got a cheap 4W LED bulb for outside the garage, as it stays on all night with a light sensor. It is more directional, but it is nice having a 25W-equivalent bulb lighting up the driveway for the same cost in energy (4 watts!) as an old-style incan nightlight.

Maybe WOOT can get a deal on these CREE bulbs (although I think Home Depot is the only one who sells them).

rgbfoundry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgbfoundry
Parkertron wrote:...how much light is omitted from these when they're not lit up and trying to wake me.

The orange LED letters are pretty dim. When you're sleeping, that's the only light that's on. Since it's not a backlit LCD, the overall light from the numbers isn't very bright.

radi0j0hn

I think people are confusing the light from one of these with the "full-spectrum" lights sold to help with SAD. These lights are supposed to wake you up, not be on all time while you work, etc.

Bozanimal

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Bozanimal

I've been using the HF3470 version for over a year, and it is fantastic in the winter when it is difficult to wake up.

Plus, if it's good enough for the rooster, it's good enough for me.

Boz

dander10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dander10
badhabit12 wrote:I sleep and wake up much better now that I didn't buy this product. And by taking the $100.00 or so dollars I saved and keeping it under my pillow I sleep like a baby. My blood pressure has even dropped as I chuckle myself into a deep restful sleep each night thinking of those folks lining up to fork over almost $100.00 for a product that's worth about $5.00.

Yes, and no reason a ring should cost more than 3 cents, so you just wrapped that bit of wire around your finger. You are a clever, frugal one!

mahalaasoonour

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mahalaasoonour

Guys, I am traveling abroad for a few months, do these models have dual voltage? I mean does it say on the power specification that it is 110/220 volt and 50/60 Hz.

Please if anyone could look this up and let me know that would be nice.

rgbfoundry

I've had the tall version for a little over a year now. It uses a halogen bulb for the main light, so it gets quite bright. It makes a good bedside light for reading, too. My wife and I both like waking to the light. I favor the radio when I wake up, but I have to mention the birds and a very relaxing "steel drum" jingle option. If I were independently wealthy and never had to hurry out of bed, I'd favor the steel drums! There's just something about it that warrants an odd posting on Woot.

I wish this had a battery backup since setting the entire clock/alarm/sound/light isn't very intuitive. It's nice to own, but could be improved.

rgbfoundry

mahalaasoonour wrote:...do these models have dual voltage?

I don't think it does. I just looked on the bottom of my HF3470 (the tall one). It says 60/A 120V~60Hz 50W 0.52A

rockytrh

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rockytrh
mglennx wrote:... as opposed to being introduced to yet another work day by AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" at full volume, you will no doubt consider it money very well spent.

I actually use "Sixteen Tons." I wonder why I'm so crabby ...

daobrien21

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daobrien21

Bummer
I went to purchase the tall light, the HF3470, and Woot wanted to charge me $7.31 in tax! I've shopped from Woot a lot, as recent as December for some Christmas gifts and never got charged tax. Furthermore, the light is only $69.99, so $7.31 is over 10% in tax! Higher than any tax in the nation, so I canceled the order, what's the deal?

adamwibby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adamwibby

I own the sun shaped lamp and no longer am grumpy in the morning! the thing works amazing

rogerstacey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rogerstacey

Will the halogen bulbs continue to be available now that the world seems to be switching over from them?

hanuta44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hanuta44
mahalaasoonour wrote:Guys, I am traveling abroad for a few months, do these models have dual voltage? I mean does it say on the power specification that it is 110/220 volt and 50/60 Hz.

Please if anyone could look this up and let me know that would be nice.

In my instruction manual for the 3470, tall one, it says:

Warning:
- Check if the voltage indicated on the appliance corresponds to the local voltage before you connect the appliance.

- the appliance is suitable for voltages of 120V and 60Hz

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

I've been looking at these for a while now, ever since I saw an ad for the HF3500 model show up on my Kindle. Mornings are AWFUL for me. The abrupt awakening of the alarm clock will jar me back to consciousness, but not useful consciousness. All my body wants is to go back to sleep. This usually results in me hitting the snooze bar three separate times before I force myself to crawl out of bed. I wind up running late more often than not because waking up is such an uncomfortable process. It still takes me 30-45 minutes after I'm up and moving before I fully regain consciousness and become a functioning human being again. Even then, I'm often dragging for the rest of the day.

I like the concept that these clocks play on. In the pre-industrial age, humans woke with the sun and went to bed with the sun. Our modern life has forced us out of that natural rhythm and our bodies pay for it. The idea of a "dawn simulator" seems like a wonderful thing to me. A gentle waking up process that allows me to regain consciousness slowly (which I do anyway) sounds EXACTLY like what my body needs.

I actually had one on my Christmas list, so I held off buying it in the hopes that one of my Santas would wrap one up for me. Sadly it didn't happen. Now one of the ones I was looking at (the HF3510) is on Woot for almost $40 less than at The Mothership? I'm taking that as a sign, friends!

In for one!