morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
ssand23 wrote:I've been researching ipads for my child with autism but really could use some sort of protection plan like Apple Care. Obviously, we'd also buy some serious, over the top case for safety if dropped.

Is there any way to get that or something more than what the product comes with if I bought one of these? Does Woot offer anything beyond the basic plan that this product comes with? Can anyone offer some more information about that?

If you want Apple Care+, just buy it from Apple when you register it.

http://www.apple.com/support/applecare/

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

crktfrog wrote:Ridiculous. Denied again even though I fixed the issue. If it's this hard to give woot my money, I won't be doing it again.

Try logging out and clearing your temps/cache. That sometimes helps. Sorry.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ssand23

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ssand23
morriea wrote:If you want Apple Care+, just buy it from Apple when you register it.

http://www.apple.com/support/applecare/

Thank you for the heads up! This would be my first ipad purchase and didn't realize it was that easy.

mrmel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrmel

There has been a lot of talk on data from AT&T. Why not take the tablet to T-mobile and get 200 mb of data a month for free? I know it's not much but would come in handy if needed.

dhuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhuff
ssand23 wrote:I've been researching ipads for my child with autism but really could use some sort of protection plan like Apple Care. Obviously, we'd also buy some serious, over the top case for safety if dropped.

Is there any way to get that or something more than what the product comes with if I bought one of these?

We recently bought a refurb 4th gen iPad from Apple's website and you have to make the decision to buy Applecare+ within 30 days of purchase (note: Applecare+ is what you want for an iPad - that incls some coverage for screen breakage, etc...) I just ran the device over to the local Apple retail store and they got me fixed up. Super easy.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
jlagraff wrote:CoevetteJoe is spot on about everything he said. 3rd party apps exist for either os to share cross platform apps. I don't use them so I can't vouch for the effectiveness but there are a lot of power users out there who know how to do this. The simple fact is hardware based latency issues in Android prevent certain types of live music apps from being viable. This isn't a dig at all, they're just different. I have both because I appreciate the differences. Find what's important to you and buy the right hardware. For people that hurl insults at hardware, well, they have their own issues to deal with that probably can't be solved in this forum.

He said "you can load whatever you want on iOS too."

Please tell me how, not how to play a guitar, as I don't beleive he meant loading apps.

I have an iPad2 AND Android tablets. The writer seemed to indicate that you could also simply pop in a card and use what was on it, as can be done with Android units. This simply is untrue. I've gotten used to the limitations of the iPad and use the Android stuff when I simply need to load music, ePubs, etc. and use them.

I AM proofing my latest book on my iPad, but I had to email the PDF to the iPad to do it.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear
kschoenberg wrote:Be forewarned that this model might drop off the Apple update schedule in the near future. Apple tends to drop update/security support of iOS devices relatively quickly. You can live without the upgrades, but since they're the only way to get security fixes you could end up with a device with well-documented security flaws and no potential fix.

I dont think that is quite true. As I got the Ipad 2 and Im Still geting updates for it . And Apple Just recentally updated it to the iOS7

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

IcedCorn

quality posts: 7 Private Messages IcedCorn

Couple of comments...

1. 128GB is very nice to have. Some apps are 1GB+ (The Elements). Movies can be up to 4GB. If you load up your iPad before a trip, it's nice to not have to rely on Wifi. Also, if you travel internationally, sometimes streaming (Netflix/Amazon) doesn't work.

2. AT&T LTE is very good in my neck of the woods.

3. If you have your cell phones on AT&T, adding this on a shared plan is a no brainer. It's $10 a month, but you get a $100 credit with a 2 yr agreement.

3a. One important note: AT&T does charge a $36 activation fee AND taxes on the $10 a month tablet. (so it's more like $13.86).

3B. If you use pre-paid (ie 1GB for 30 days) you do NOT have to pay an activation fee. Just food for thought.

4. This iPad is not the AIR, but it does use the Lightning cable. So...if you haven't gone to an iPhone 5 yet, be aware you'll be buying all new adapters, etc if needed or a 2nd lightning cable at your favorite electronics store.

5. It doesn't seem like the 128GB holds the trade in value as well -- not sure why that is.

6. It works fine on iOS 7. I did trade mine in for a Mini w/Retina 128GB..but if you're new to the world of ipad, get this one.

7. Don't forget having built in cellular is very handy. Who wants to use a hotspot and burn two batteries and set up the network (I mean it's easy but still a pain). This way it's all in one.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
Denimbear wrote:I dont think that is quite true. As I got the Ipad 2 and Im Still geting updates for it . And Apple Just recentally updated it to the iOS7

Apple also updated my iPad2, but my "old" iPod Touch cannot be updated to ios7, so slowly, slowly all the new apps won't work. But since there will be no upgrades, I did finally jailbreak it and that was fun.

Keep in mind that only now is Windows XP being officially unsupported...after how many years?

I'm more concerned that Apple changed the connecting hardware for no good reason than I can see.

The ghost of Steve Jobs still haunts the place.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

potatochobit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages potatochobit

I own both, an ipad2 and ipad mini, I also own a 4S and HTC android phone. I recommend people not buy a mini and get a full size ipad. Some people might think having a mini is nice so they can carry it around with them. The reality is, it's not practical and most people already have a smart phone, so basically you are carrying around TWO smart phones in your pocket. The novelty wears off quickly. Most people are going to watch the ipad in bed. In this case the ipad2 is far better. The mini is very light and falls over easily. The small screen is very noticeable when compared next to each other and eventually you will start comparing the mini to your smart phone again. If you need to save money, the mini is Ok but you might consider an android alternative. If you can get the larger ipad, that is the way to go.

lloydrj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloydrj

I'm still thinking of this woot OFFER VS getting a new MINI with retina display - 32gb for $499? Anybody have suggestions on this choice?

bluemaple

quality posts: 72 Private Messages bluemaple
radi0j0hn wrote:Apple also updated my iPad2, but my "old" iPod Touch cannot be updated to ios7, so slowly, slowly all the new apps won't work. But since there will be no upgrades, I did finally jailbreak it and that was fun.

Keep in mind that only now is Windows XP being officially unsupported...after how many years?

I'm more concerned that Apple changed the connecting hardware for no good reason than I can see.

The ghost of Steve Jobs still haunts the place.

@radi0j0hn, accurate points, but I don't think the comparison to Windows XP is fair.

1) PC's are far more mature than tablets. Therefore it is to be expected that OS's will have longer lives because the underlying hardware is not changing as dramatically.

2) Windows XP is still (even today, a few months before end of support) being run in a lot of businesses. Microsoft got major grief from businesses when they last tried to end support for XP. And likely will this time.

3) We have an older, but not original gen Android tablet that is deadended at version 2.1 whilst the latest version is 4.3.

BTW, we have several 30-pin Apple devices and while I initially did not like the idea of the new Lightning connector due to having to buy new adapters/cords, I now love it. Unlike virtually every other mobile connector, it doesn't care which way you insert it! That's huge in a dark car or bedroom. (no puns pls) I now detest the old 30-pin.

And while micro/mini USB connectors have become near universal, they have the same gotta-insert-it-this-way problem.