ElGuappo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ElGuappo
Kebsis wrote:How do these compare in toughness to a standard Carhartt?

You'll find that many manufacturers of Dickies products are also manufacturers of Carhardt products. Both companies license their brand to wholesalers, with certain standards that have to be met in the products of course.

And these being just wholesalers rely on manufacturing networks globally to create the products. Those networks overlap even between wholesalers.

ElGuappo

biggs13 wrote:Unfortunately made in America is a statement very few companies can make these days. DIckies is still an American-owned and operated company based in Fort Worth, Texas and they make really durable, affordable and stylish clothing. I'm a fan. Even if the description is a tad misleading it should not be a deal breaker.

And that is just an office for licensing their brand.

ElGuappo

earlyre wrote:yes/no. while Carhart's are More expensive than Dickies, many people do spend the money for them.

Carhart is/are made in MI, by Unionized American workers.
they are part of the UFCW (United Food and Commercial Workers)as am I (I work @ a grocery store)

No, they are made in many of the same factories as Dickies.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
roadrunnermoore wrote:I was getting ready to post the same comment.

I bought a pocket comb and the back of the blister-pack cardboard has [company name] "AN AMERICAN COMPANY" then an American flag and under it "MADE IN CHINA."

George Orwell would have been proud.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

ElGuappo

radi0j0hn wrote:"with certain standards that have to be met??" Yeah....a very high profit.

Yes, they do. Designs have to be approved, materials, sizes, many things. They do not just license some fly by night overseas company to stitch on a label. They license companies in their markets to do that and maintain a certain (if lowered) expectation.

iamjakecollier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamjakecollier

*Ahem*

So, um... opinions on size?

I'll keep my political opinions to myself... Just trying to stay warm here.

tattooedbear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tattooedbear
iamjakecollier wrote:*Ahem*

So, um... opinions on size?

I'll keep my political opinions to myself... Just trying to stay warm here.

Well, my opinion on size is... I prefer hefty, thick, husky and chubby guys, but it just depends on the guy. From time to time I find an occasional "skinny little rat" cute too. ;-)

tattooedbear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tattooedbear

[quote postid="5676169"

So are these jackets any good?[/quote]

Well, I own one that's a size too big for me because I was freezing last winter and couldn't afford to get a coat at the time. It was given to me. I love it. Durable as hell. Love the inside pockets.
On the political front.
Yup! Look how it turned out! Hell yeah. If RomneyBus won, we'd all be dead.

bighdj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bighdj

Other sizes sold out already? I would love one of these but you don't list my size or have it blocked for ordering.

wollern

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wollern
bighdj wrote:Other sizes sold out already? I would love one of these but you don't list my size or have it blocked for ordering.

That usually means that they are sold out of that option....just, fyi.

ktappe

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ktappe
sudsyboy wrote:I have this jacket...

It is not waterproof.

Many thanks. This is the ONE feature I needed to know about and you just saved me $35. Appreciated!

greatwhite35

quality posts: 7 Private Messages greatwhite35
sfcchase wrote:Not a fan of Dickies. If you want a quality jacket in this style that will keep you warm and dry I'd go with Carhartt.

but a Carhartt equivalent jacket will set you back well over $100 when I looked at them in Dick's Sporting Goods.

Toothy, The Hamptons (160 woots and 3 Bunch of 60s Cartoons#39;s as of April 1, 2013!!)

whebert1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whebert1
earlyre wrote:yes/no. while Carhart's are More expensive than Dickies, many people do spend the money for them.

Carhart is/are made in MI, by Unionized American workers.
they are part of the UFCW (United Food and Commercial Workers)as am I (I work @ a grocery store)

Carharts are almost exclusively made in Mexico. It has been many years since you could be sure that a carhart garment was Union and US made.

jaburg

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jaburg

I would buy one, just to hang by the door to throw on except for one thing.

Black shows cat hair like a police flashlight shining on your girlfriend's panties.
A different color choice would be nice. Something like khaki ... or tabby.

david223

quality posts: 2 Private Messages david223
Kebsis wrote:How do these compare in toughness to a standard Carhartt?

Retired construction worker here. Carhartt is tougher but more expensive. Dickies are good strong stuff. This is a good buy. If I were still working I'd buy one.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 120 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

zonkerrob wrote:Yeah, this happened to me too. Emailed Woot!, and we the week they promised to get back to me in has passed ...

Have you emailed back in since you stopped hearing from us? Please do to nudge them!

I also just cleaned up a lot of political stuff, I'm sympathetic to wanting to talk about it, but can it go somewhere else? This thread's for the product and things were getting way off topic.

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen

Dickies = Kmart clothes. My MIL used to buy me Dickies flannel shirts for Christmas from the aforementioned Kmart. The shirts were very thin and would shrink so badly that they were unwearable after a couple times through the dryer. That is my only experience with Dickies. YMMV.

fastlane65

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fastlane65

Darn. By the time I read all the comments and decided to buy a jacket - - my size has sold out.

eq5150

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eq5150

Dickies makes high quality blue collar clothes but I never understood why the put ad tags on the outside of the clothes. Even if Dickies was considered designer clothes only associated with the very wealthy, I still don't want a brand ad on my clothes.

earlyre

quality posts: 2 Private Messages earlyre
whebert1 wrote:Carharts are almost exclusively made in Mexico. It has been many years since you could be sure that a carhart garment was Union and US made.

looking @ the Carhart website, they have a "Made in the USA" line, and an "Imported from Detroit" line, both designed in Dearborn, and made in KY, and TN. Maybe My MI based employer is only stocking those lines?? IDK...
All I know for sure is the Carhart hooded bombers(similar to this Product) i looked @ in Dec. had a tag in side stating they were made in the USA by UFCW labor.

BeanDip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BeanDip

Received mine today. I bought it to leave in our RV for camping during winter and the price was right.

Got a large and it fits well. Coat is thicker than I was expecting and I only expect to wear it on really cold days that I know I will be outside for long periods.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

BeanDip wrote:Received mine today. I bought it to leave in our RV for camping during winter and the price was right.

Got a large and it fits well. Coat is thicker than I was expecting and I only expect to wear it on really cold days that I know I will be outside for long periods.

Thanks for returning to post your thoughts and review. WE LOVE THAT!

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

D3thM3tal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages D3thM3tal
iamjakecollier wrote:Any opinions out there on how sizes run on these bad boys?

I'm a pretty big guy, and always find myself between a L and an XL... It's a crap shoot most of the time.

Think it would be smart to go XL?

I typically wear XXL and once again, this DOESN'T"T FIT!!!! I bought a Fila jacket awhile back in my size and that didn't fit either... Twice now I've been bitten - and of course no returns or exchanges. GRRRRR

jaymaj

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaymaj

Received mine today and overall I am very satisfied. Heavy and in good condition. Not sure if its warm enough for this current polar cold snap, but it should be perfect once Buffalo warms up to say a balmy 20 degrees.

XL jackets fits 180lbs perfectly.

Thanks woot.

larrywootr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larrywootr
Craig234 wrote:Wages aren't the problem. CEO salaries and corporate profits are. Worker income is flat, top 1% is up hundreds of %.

Workers should start their own company I'm sure it is easy, just wondering why they do not do that
?

Erevu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Erevu

I was so excited for this jacket to come after agonizing over what size to order and making what I thought was an educated decision based on the comments and sizing charts. I'm 6'1" 180 lbs and ordered the large. It arrived today and I tried it on as soon as I could get it out of the big bag it came in.
The sleeves come down to just above my wrists and the jacket barely reaches my waist with the pockets landing high on my rib cage. Soooo disappointed!!! Guess someone is gonna have a nice jacket cause it sure isn't me