nealrosier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nealrosier

DID WOOT RIP ME OFF????

I loved Woot for about the first 7 orders. Then 2 weeks ago I ordered a Nexus 7. I ordered it because I NEEDED it. They took my money, but after 2 weeks it still has not shipped and no explanation. I emailed support a week ago and no reply. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!! If you guys read the forums please look into this.

[mod note: we are late in shipping those but yours has a tracking number now, you should be emailed that today]

zhaotong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zhaotong
shariellen wrote:I am thinking about this for my sailboat. How will it handle salty spray and general damp boat life?

good idea

goalzero

quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero
noahtheimagine wrote:Got a couple question about the goal 10 plus, forgive me if this sounds confusing.

When the goal 10 plus stores energy does it store the energy into the changeable rechargeable AAs or AAA or does it have it's own independent storage?

Also is it possible to draw energy from your AAs and AAAs to power your USB devices?

Thanks for any help. Very interested in this product.

The storage on the Guide 10 Plus is the AA or AAA batteries, whichever batteries you have in it. The idea was to be as versatile as possible. You can pop out the batteries and use them in your individual devices, or use the combined power through the Guide 10 Plus USB output. It just so happens that the combined voltage of 4 - NiMH batteries is right at 5V, so it was perfect for this design.

goalzero

bdrake47 wrote:Sweet deal! In for 3.

@GoalZero, these will be used in Afghanistan, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, & Nepal as soon as I get them! Looking forward to resolving recharge issues!

Sounds like you get to have a lot of fun! We hope you enjoy our products and that they help you stay connected and/or charged wherever you may go!

TheCK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCK

What kind of life can I expect out of this unit? Like will it work for the next 5 years expectedly or does it have an expected life of 1 year same as the warranty?

Will I have to buy batteries or some other replacement item to use it?

If I put it in storage for 5-10 years as an "emergency kit" can I expect it to work when I pull it out?

Thanks --CK

--TheCK

goalzero

nordie wrote:Hey Goal Zero Guy/Gal,

Am I able to swap out the AA batteries in the charger unit with my Sanyo Eneloops if I want to charge them?

Thanks!

N.

You can swap them out with any NiMH rechargeable AA or AAA batteries. We branded the batteries included in this kit, because they were so very close to Eneloops. They have a very long shelf life. 70-80% of the battery capacity is retained after 12 months, allowing you to recharge back up to 100%, prior to the batteries completely draining.

Some of our customers use these on an adventure, or have it stored in their glove box, or 72 hour Emergency Prep Kit and go for extended periods of time without using it. It was important to us that when they needed the power, it was there. So that is why we chose batteries with a long shelf life. Eneloops perform the same way.

goalzero

patrice2 wrote:How would I connect the solar panel to my van's cigarette lighter to maintain the van's battery when parked for extended periods? What sort of adapter cord would I need?

Unfortunately, this panel was not designed for that use. We do have a few different product offerings that would help you for this type of situation.

In May of this year, we will launch a product to market that is a true trickle charger, with male 12V output so you can plug it directly into your car's cig-lighter and walk away. It will also have alligator clips for bike batteries, ATV batteries, etc. It will be called the Maintainer 10 and retail for about $100.00.

goalzero

PJStelford wrote:Hi GoalZero,

I have the Switch 8 Kit sold through REI found at the following URL (http://www.rei.com/product/851177/goal-zero-switch-8-solar-recharging-kit). As I just received it for Christmas and have not yet opened it, could you tell me about the difference between the model I have and the model for sale in this woot?

Thank you so much in advance!

Thanks for the great question! The Switch 8 is a lithium ion powerpack. It does not have AA or AAA batteries that you recharge. You are literally charging 1 lithium ion battery. It has some very good design features. The tips were meant to be "switched" out with other tips. One example is a 180 Lumen flashlight tip, so you can have a flashlight, and a cell phone charger, all in one.

Switch 8 is less versatile, but a little bit lighter, and the panel in the Switch 8 kit is a 3.5 watt panel compared to the Nomad 7 here. The Nomad 3.5 in your Switch 8 kit is not recommended for recharging your devices directly, but you can use the Switch 8 as a buffer between your cell phone and the panel. The Switch 8 will collect the energy from the panel, and offer the power to your device at a higher amp output. Your phone will love you for that! Same thing applies with the Guide 10 Plus.

Hope that helps. Either way, you have an excellent product that I know you will enjoy!

goalzero

entrtnm8 wrote:Not a big fan of NiMH batteries that are part of the Guide 10 Plus Recharger in this kit. Can this be used with my own AA Li-Ion batteries?

Unfortunately, the Guide 10 Plus was not designed to recharge Li-Ion rechargeable AA or AAAs. The voltage is too high when all 4 are combined. You may damage your devices batteries if you tried to output through the USB on the Guide 10 Plus with the Li-Ion batteries inside. Please only use with NiMH AA or AAA batteries. Sorry!

goalzero

zhaotong wrote:@goalzero , Can Nomad 7 used for Switch 8 battery pack ?

Yes it can! That is how I use my Switch 8, with my Nomad 7!

goalzero

shariellen wrote:I am thinking about this for my sailboat. How will it handle salty spray and general damp boat life?

We test our products in the most remote places on Earth. We have not seen an issue with our products in a tropical, sea level, or even on-sea environment. Had mine up in Alaska last year, dropped it in the water, let it dry out, and I was good to go!

209Mason

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 209Mason

I have the Guide 10+ kit from a year or so back and love it. I took a few pictures:

Full Kit (I don't know if all of the same stuff is included in this Woot kit, I would be interested to know if the DC charger is included. For example, mine did not include the luna-light or the AAA batteries, just the spacer)
Nomad 7
Guide 10+
4 Nicad Batteries
AAA battery spacer
USB - Mini USB
Nomad 7 cable
12V DC adpater

http://imgur.com/nzgHhzW

I/O on the Guide 10+ charger
http://imgur.com/NbCVDID

Outputs from the Nomad7
http://imgur.com/3joErYw

I haven't tried this yet, but as my kit includes the DC adapter for car chargers... I don't know why it wouldn't charge a Li-on battery pack that plugs into 12v DC... For example, I have the Intellicharger I2 with DC adapter, I would think I could charge any batteries using this setup.

Goal Zero, can you confirm?

1. Is the DC charger included in this kit? Is there any reason I couldn't charge lion batteries in a lion charger via the DC adapter?

2. Is this kit a newer version than my kit shown above?

Thanks!!

goalzero

GreatJorge wrote:Product link in Amazon ($81.36): more):http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-19010-Guide-Charging/dp/B005XVBIL6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

All Reviews:link:http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-19010-Guide-Charging/product-reviews/B005XVBIL6/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

The most helpful critical review:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2Q374M2UVIG1Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2Q374M2UVIG1Y

Keep in mind that there is another $25.00 worth of product in this kit, that you will not find on Amazon. Maybe if you look at the "products usually purchased with" section and you will see the AAA batteries and Luna light. Again, most popular kit, with all the extra goodies!

goalzero

TheCK wrote:What kind of life can I expect out of this unit? Like will it work for the next 5 years expectedly or does it have an expected life of 1 year same as the warranty?

Will I have to buy batteries or some other replacement item to use it?

If I put it in storage for 5-10 years as an "emergency kit" can I expect it to work when I pull it out?

Thanks --CK

The batteries can be used for hundreds of cycles. However, if you leave it for 5 years, they most likely will be dead. We recommend you leave the Guide 10 Plus charging from any USB source, when you are not using it, and it helps you accomplish a few things. One is that when you do need to bug out an go, you know your batteries are full, and you're not waiting for the sun to come up if it happens to be night time. Two, you get to use the Guide 10 Plus outside of an emergency situations. I use mine every day! My son even uses it for his controllers on the XBox. Keep the panel in the bug-out bag, and use the Guide 10 Plus daily.

Having said that, you could throw it in the bag and leave it. The batteries would be dead in 5 years, but all you would need to do is swap them out with a fresh set of AA and/or AAA NiMH batteries in 2019 or whatever year you needed it. Hope that helps!

lloydrj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloydrj

I found Goal Zero customer support to be BAD. I bought a kit from amazon that was missing the "AAA" adapter. I contacted Goal Zero several times and twice they promised to send me one. I NEVER got one and by then was past the 30 day amazon return period. If you have issues with the device, don't expect help from Goal Zero.

goalzero

209Mason wrote:I have the Guide 10+ kit from a year or so back and love it. I took a few pictures:

Full Kit (I don't know if all of the same stuff is included in this Woot kit, I would be interested to know if the DC charger is included. For example, mine did not include the luna-light or the AAA batteries, just the spacer)
Nomad 7
Guide 10+
4 Nicad Batteries
AAA battery spacer
USB - Mini USB
Nomad 7 cable
12V DC adpater

http://imgur.com/nzgHhzW

I/O on the Guide 10+ charger
http://imgur.com/NbCVDID

Outputs from the Nomad7
http://imgur.com/3joErYw

I haven't tried this yet, but as my kit includes the DC adapter for car chargers... I don't know why it wouldn't charge a Li-on battery pack that plugs into 12v DC... For example, I have the Intellicharger I2 with DC adapter, I would think I could charge any batteries using this setup.

Goal Zero, can you confirm?

1. Is the DC charger included in this kit? If so, I may be in for another considering you're getting $25+ in batteries and chargers alone.
2. Is this kit a newer version than my kit shown above?

Thanks!!

As long as the input requirements of the 3rd party charger is not more than 0.3 amps. That is the amperage you are getting out of the 12V on this panel. But yes, I have seen that work. And it does include the 12V adapter.

goalzero

lloydrj wrote:I found Goal Zero customer support to be BAD. I bought a kit from amazon that was missing the "AAA" adapter. I contacted Goal Zero several times and twice they promised to send me one. I NEVER got one and by then was past the 30 day amazon return period. If you have issues with the device, don't expect help from Goal Zero.

I apologize that you had that experience. I am embarrassed that you took away that negative feeling about our Customer Support. If you wouldn't mind to give us another shot, I would appreciate it. I'll email my support team right now to let them know to expect a call about the AAA insert, and we'll take care of you. Again, I apologize and hope to make it right with you!

brianpi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianpi

Is this the newer solar panel that has the triangle output port or the older version that has a rectangle output port?

goalzero

brianpi wrote:Is this the newer solar panel that has the triangle output port or the older version that has a rectangle output port?

Rectangle.

jonryan18

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jonryan18

These are nice but a bit large for my needs.I work for a large Intnl. non-profit. We do humanitarian relief in very remote places around the world way off the grid.

What I need is something small (for travel), something that will power my small electrics ie..cellphone, batteries etc... something that gives me some light at night, lots of light! Something that I can just put out in the sun for the day to charge (no need to buy and replace batteries!).

Same as what anyone would need during a power outage at home.

We travel with a SunPortX1 solar light &charger from www.CompactSolarDevices.com
It’s a fraction of the price of the big solar chargers and it does what you need in a small package.

drdr2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drdr2

I used this last summer at Voyageurs National park. Camped on an island for four days on Lake Namakan. The solar panel kept cell phone charged, and the light was great for use in the tent at night. Never ran low on battery charge.

The solar panel will charge an iphone directly, but it works better if the battery pack is used between the solar panel and phone. The phone will sometimes stop charging directly from the solar panel if a cloud passes by, and using the battery pack prevents this problem.

There is a light built into the battery pack, but the included LED light bar is much brighter and better for camping use in a tent. Overall highly recommended for camping use.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 12 Private Messages billthegunowner

Does anybody know if this will work in Seattle where the sun never shines?

Bill

zhaotong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zhaotong
goalzero wrote:The batteries can be used for hundreds of cycles. However, if you leave it for 5 years, they most likely will be dead. We recommend you leave the Guide 10 Plus charging from any USB source, when you are not using it, and it helps you accomplish a few things. One is that when you do need to bug out an go, you know your batteries are full, and you're not waiting for the sun to come up if it happens to be night time. Two, you get to use the Guide 10 Plus outside of an emergency situations. I use mine every day! My son even uses it for his controllers on the XBox. Keep the panel in the bug-out bag, and use the Guide 10 Plus daily.

Having said that, you could throw it in the bag and leave it. The batteries would be dead in 5 years, but all you would need to do is swap them out with a fresh set of AA and/or AAA NiMH batteries in 2019 or whatever year you needed it. Hope that helps!

@goalzero as you said the batteries would be dead in 5 years, but how is Nomad 7 Solar Panel life?

kane968

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kane968

Can I use this to charge my Escape 150?

dhuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhuff

One of our scouts at the Seabase National BSA camp in the Florida Keys last Summer had one of these that he used on our 40-ft sailboat for the week. While I'm sure the whole rig is hardly waterproof, it stood up to 16-yr old boy use out on deck, charging the battery pack to power cell phones & iPods. Seems like a nice product, and it was sure popular on-board ;)

rambo91145

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rambo91145

@goalzero rep-there have been reports all over the net of the guide 10 frying/scrambling charging circuitry on devices, particularly apple and kindle it seems. Could you comment on that? Was it an issue that's been fixed or what's causing it?
I'm not a goal zero hater, love your life lights in my camper and have a bigger panel of yours but these reports concern me, thanks!

Peaty

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Peaty
patrice2 wrote:How would I connect the solar panel to my van's cigarette lighter to maintain the van's battery when parked for extended periods? What sort of adapter cord would I need?

I believe this type of panel is not made for that purpose. However, if you find something that is, you need to verify that when the key is off your lighter port is powered. Most cars today it turns off so it won't charge. You might have to hook directly up to the battery somehow.

Peaty

150+ Woots and no signs of stopping...

goalzero

jonryan18 wrote:These are nice but a bit large for my needs.I work for a large Intnl. non-profit. We do humanitarian relief in very remote places around the world way off the grid.

What I need is something small (for travel), something that will power my small electrics ie..cellphone, batteries etc... something that gives me some light at night, lots of light! Something that I can just put out in the sun for the day to charge (no need to buy and replace batteries!).

Same as what anyone would need during a power outage at home.

We travel with a SunPortX1 solar light &charger from www.CompactSolarDevices.com
It’s a fraction of the price of the big solar chargers and it does what you need in a small package.

I think you just described this kit on Woot, exactly.

To clarify, the product you describe above will die over time, and you will have to buy a whole unit. With this GOAL ZERO kit, you only will have to replace the AA batteries every 5 years or so.

kjonmyway

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjonmyway

To clarify charging a dslr battery -

It's been awhile since I did this, so my hubby pointed out errors in my post.

First, my dslr came with a transfer cable, but at the same time I purchased it, I also bought a charger that had both usb and cigarette lighter charger. My husband reminded me the first night we tried the usb, it charged, but not fully, and terribly slowly. The second night of our trip, we used the cigarette lighter charger, (this GoalZero panel has a lighter adapter) and that is how we actually got a good charge.

Sorry for the confusion.

damnilocano

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damnilocano
kjonmyway wrote:
Another note - REI members, (and not sure if this applies to non-members) can return any product at any time....no questions asked.

REI recently changed their return policy to one year from purchase and 30 days if you buy from their outlet. I was told this in December 2013 when I was returning something two years old. I think there is a grace period because the clerk let me return it. YMMV.

damnilocano

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damnilocano

@GoalZero
Would I be able to swap out the rechargable batteries when they die? I have a whole bunch of Eneloop batteries.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Hey all, our Goal Zero rep is going to be popping in and out of the thread today as he can, but keep checking in!

spedebump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spedebump

The storage on the Goal 10 Plus, is the batteries that you see. I have successfully used the older Nomad 7/Guide 10 setup to charge my ENLOOP NiMH AA and AAA's. Once the light goes solid green indicating full charge, swap the batteries. Or use pre-charged batteries to dump to your phone. I have not used Alkaline batteries to push to a phone, only NiMH, since they operate at a different voltage. (1.5v vs 1.2v)

noahtheimagine wrote:Got a couple question about the goal 10 plus, forgive me if this sounds confusing.

When the goal 10 plus stores energy does it store the energy into the changeable rechargeable AAs or AAA or does it have it's own independent storage?

Also is it possible to draw energy from your AAs and AAAs to power your USB devices?

Thanks for any help. Very interested in this product.

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090
kjonmyway wrote:I have a Nikon D3200, and it came with a usb charging cable, but if you google your camera model (or battery model) and "usb battery charger" you will see that there are a ton of inexpensive chargers that will charge your battery via usb.

Good to know thanks!

girardot

quality posts: 5 Private Messages girardot

Does anyone know if the battery charger part of this package is one of those chargers that requires batteries to inserted in pairs only?

Seems I have a number of devices (ok, flashlights, I'm one of those guys) that use 3 AAA batts or 1 AA batt so I often do not have even pairs of batteries that need charging. Many inexpensive charges need the batteries to be in pairs.

Does this one charge the batteries individually so I could pull one out to use and put another one in its place?

11/5/2007 SanDisk Sansa e250 2GB (Rhapsody version, love the player, hate hate hate Rhapsody)
7/17/2007 Zcyber i3 Mini Speaker 2-Pack (work well)
3/6/2007 iRiver AFT100 Mobile FM Transmitter - 2-Pack (they work great)
11/17/2006 RCA Lyra 1GB MP3 player with FM Modulator - Woot Off! (love it)

JPElectron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JPElectron

The specs on the USB light ...seem... wrong...

12.5V±2V ???

and it has an output? what?

Yiddil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yiddil

Just got one What a great price on a great unit was thinking about getting one for an emergency kit, Boat, etc...now its done..heard nothing but good about these...

j4gold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j4gold

I purchased a Guide 10 with the Nomad 7 kit at REI in 2009. It does work to charge an IPhone but there are some caveats. If you try to charge on a day with cloud cover the stopping and starting of the charging process can make the IPhone power management system have issues. Generally a hard boot will fix this. My biggest complaint is that I have purchased 3 Guide 10's and all but one of them has broken. They stop charging and the USB stops providing power and only the light will work. I have several LUNA lights and they are awesome, but if the Guide 10 USB stops working the Luna light stops working too. I could plug it into another USB device but I do not own any other suitable device for rugged outdoor use. Plus I have never been able to fully charge the IPhone from a fully charged Guide 10 alone. It will get it to 80 plus % but not a 100%. Of course Goal Zero may have improved the quality of their devices as my devices are 5 years old, but I would be somewhat hesitant to buy this again until I know that the Guide 10 will last more than 18 months.

stmpspaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stmpspaz

I have the smaller model (switch 8) - can I link it to this model?

I LOVE it! I used it at the Boy Scout Jamboree 2013 - and my son purchased a Guide 10 kit while we were there!

My favorite part is all the loops - you can attach it to backpacks, etc easily!

Patti