firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Newegg has the Roku 2 XS refurbed for $47.95 today. Same as the 3 minus the headphone jack and slightly faster processor. But Roku 2 XS has composite video output as well as HDMI, so it's compatible with older TVs that don't have HDMI. The Newegg bundle actually comes with two remotes and a HDMI cable too. Check the deals section. :-)

Dylistn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dylistn

Bought one of these on woot a while back. It did not respond to the remote. So it's a brick. Did not take any action to correct this other then to contact woot who sent a response that they got the message.

I see for other post that this is not unheard of and can be fixed. So maybe I'll follow up.

DylisTN

cashipley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cashipley
firebirdude wrote:Newegg has the Roku 2 XS refurbed for $47.95 today. Same as the 3 minus the headphone jack and slightly faster processor. But Roku 2 XS has composite video output as well as HDMI, so it's compatible with older TVs that don't have HDMI. The Newegg bundle actually comes with two remotes and a HDMI cable too. Check the deals section. :-)

The 3 also has a USB port and a micro-SD slot. Haven't used either of those on mine yet, but good to have.

sshaina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sshaina
ihatedealswoot wrote:http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/cc4b6655-b0bd-4c52-962b-609370ef54eb/roku-3-streaming-player#49

Out of stock

Falconguy

Morac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Morac

I bought a discounted Roku 2 last year about this time. A month later the Roku 3 came out. I'm not getting fooled again.

It's a good device, but wait a bit.

joecooool

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joecooool

I bought one earlier this month during the woot off. My remote did not work. I called the roku customer service and they had me pair the remote with the unit. She told me ALL of the refurb units will have to be paired with the remote when first used. Unit now works fine and I'm happy.

PS The purple headphones are junk. Seriously, they are the worst things I've ever listened to. I doubt that will be an issue though as everyone probably owns a good pair of headphones or ear buds.

geriellen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geriellen

Do you need paid subscriptions for the channels? How does this work?

I've only had cable and paid for Netflix and Amazon.

agander1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agander1
julieannbowers wrote:Poor quality control it seems. Just received mine from last Woot and trying to set up. Seems remote is DOA. Waiting for response from Woot. Would not order a refurb again, but pay a little more for a new. Not worth the hassle.

Bought one on the woot off a couple of weeks ago and had the same issue. Take the battery cover off and there is a small button. Hold that until the green light on the remote comes on. That will repair the remote with the device (make sure you have it turned on), fixed the problem for me right away.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
mrsly69 wrote:Great system. I have no issues with reconditioned, but I am a bit perplexed about the woot price. In the good ole days of pre 2010 this would have had a better price. You can find these on sale somewhere throughout the year new for under $80. A wholesale club has it on sale with a free HDMI CORD and 30 free days of hulu plus for $75' NEW right now. I miss the great woot prices of years past.

That was the original Woot. Just like the original eBay, it is gone for good.
But this IS an excellent product. I own 3 Rokus of previous generations and cannot recommend this product any higher. The reviews on this newest generation are excellent.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

azs1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages azs1

For those who got a refurb, and say that the remote did not work...

I've ordered two Roku 2xs models from 1saleaday. With the first one, I thought that the unit didn't work since the remote would not do anything. However, after a little further reading of the included user guide, I discovered that I simply I had to go through the process of re-pairing the remote and the Roku unit. Once I did that, everything worked perfectly. (I believe this was an issue with the second unit as well, but by then, I knew that there was a simple fix.)

So, if the remote appears to be a "brick," make sure that you go through the process of pairing the remote and the base unit again to see if that resolves the issue.

Here are the instructions: http://support.roku.com/entries/22282324-Roku-remotes-overview#location_repair

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
geriellen wrote:Do you need paid subscriptions for the channels? How does this work?

I've only had cable and paid for Netflix and Amazon.

It's loaded with a bunch of free programming but I wouldn't say all of them would be what you may want. The popular channels that are worthwhile are paid subscription. The ones I use most is Hulu Plus, Aereo and Netflix.
It connects to the internet through your home network via WiFi or direct Ethernet cable.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

cmirenzi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmirenzi

Picked up one of these from Amazon a few months ago and LOVE it! The only qualm I have against is that it doesn't work super well with our wireless, but when it's plugged into the ethernet, it works perfect.

Other issues we had with it seemed to figure themselves out over time. Like, when we first got it, it had to be restarted just about every other day. Also, the audio and video didn't always sync up. However, we haven't had these issues in over a month.

Great product!

julieannbowers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julieannbowers
agander1 wrote:Bought one on the woot off a couple of weeks ago and had the same issue. Take the battery cover off and there is a small button. Hold that until the green light on the remote comes on. That will repair the remote with the device (make sure you have it turned on), fixed the problem for me right away.

THANK YOU!!!! Problem solved! The batteries sent with the unit were dead, but had already thought that was a possibility.

wizwor

quality posts: 24 Private Messages wizwor
cashipley wrote:The 3 also has a USB port and a micro-SD slot. Haven't used either of those on mine yet, but good to have.

Both the Roku 3 and Roku 2 XS have microsd and usb ports. The microsd card is for additional app storage and not really necessary. The USB port, however, can be plugged into a usb disk for direct play of supported media (mp4, mp3, jpg, etc.)

cmirenzi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmirenzi
cashipley wrote:The 3 also has a USB port and a micro-SD slot. Haven't used either of those on mine yet, but good to have.

Be wary though because 2 doesn't have the option for plugging in your ethernet. If you have great wireless, shouldn't be a problem, but if it's just a little sketch, it's worth having the ethernet port.

paulgraz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paulgraz

I too bought one of these refurbs a few weeks ago, and also found the remote did not work. A little BASIC troubleshooting revealed the cause: it came with 2 dead batteries. 2 new duracells later, everything worked perfectly. Ordering another one today!

(But it's pretty lousy customer service to ship dead batteries...)

nicomp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicomp

I don't like pot roast.

nicomp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicomp
agander1 wrote:Bought one on the woot off a couple of weeks ago and had the same issue. Take the battery cover off and there is a small button. Hold that until the green light on the remote comes on. That will repair the remote with the device (make sure you have it turned on), fixed the problem for me right away.

re-pair

tazzyjasper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tazzyjasper

Currently use a PS3 for streaming media interface. Any reason to replace with a Roku? Improved interface, functions, etc? Thanks

dadrepus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dadrepus
Dylistn wrote:Bought one of these on woot a while back. It did not respond to the remote. So it's a brick. Did not take any action to correct this other then to contact woot who sent a response that they got the message.

I see for other post that this is not unheard of and can be fixed. So maybe I'll follow up.

did you try pairing the remote to the roku by pushing the little button inside the battery compartment while aiming it at the roku? I have purchased 3 refurbs and had to do that with every remote. Also replace the batteries as the ones they sent me were already pretty much shot.

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

The 2XD does have an ethernet port.

The first Roku I bought was a 3 but it was for the bedroom and the lack of composite out was a deal breaker. In hindsight my biggest complaint with the 3 is they made the remote do more, the headphones, and made the batteries smaller, from AA to AAA.

killertomato187

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killertomato187

Question, I have a roku ready TV. Should I get this or the stick?? What works better or faster? Or is it the same thing pretty much?
I'm new to the whole streaming player, but I'm getting ready to drop uverse.

And... Is this better than our ps3 that we currently use??

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
cmirenzi wrote:Be wary though because 2 doesn't have the option for plugging in your ethernet. If you have great wireless, shouldn't be a problem, but if it's just a little sketch, it's worth having the ethernet port.

The 2XS has ethernet port (in addition to USB and microSD as pointed out by wizwor)

IMHO and everyday use the "superduper" processor in the 3 offers me nothing vs. the older, cheaper 2XS (I have both). The only thing that is probably certain is that Roku will drop support for the 2XS before the 3 someday.

I think this assesment by wizwor is fair and accurate.
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5684864&pageindex=1&replycount=64#post5685008

mvblair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvblair

I bought this same model when it was offered the last time. It was a refurbished model and it was at the same price. It replaced the first Roku model, which still worked for me. I'm happy with this new one.

It's very, very easy to set up. Plug the cables into the TV and connect it to your modem (or enter your wifi password).

The earphones that I got were not the ones pictured. They were just cheapo earphones. Also, the batteries that came with the package were dead, so I had to use my own AAs.

One thing I like about this new Roku model is the Youtube channel. It saves searches, so you don't always have to type everything in hen-peck style. I don't have a Youtube account, but I still use it to watch lots of international stuff. The quality of the video on Youtube isn't great, but it works.

International folks who don't have satellite will probably enjoy some of the channels you can get from Africa, South Asia, and even Latin America now.

The best channels are paid channels: Hulu, Netflix, and so forth. If you have cable, you can watch live TV from ESPN, CNN, and so forth. Since we don't have cable, the only things I get from those channels are little clips. The free channels have all the public domain stuff that you can get from Archive.Org. It's fun, but most of my "media consumption" is from Netflix.

So, positive review from me.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude
redrotors wrote:The 2XS has ethernet port (in addition to USB and microSD as pointed out by wizwor)

IMHO and everyday use the "superduper" processor in the 3 offers me nothing vs. the older, cheaper 2XS (I have both). The only thing that is probably certain is that Roku will drop support for the 2XS before the 3 someday.

Bullseye on all accounts. The 2XS DOES has a microSD slot and USB port AND Ethernet port. Don't get the 2XS mixed up with the 2. The 2XS deal I mentioned (now posted in the deals section) is a far better deal than this. Sorry Woot. It's true.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
bnbsouthworth wrote:Did it get pulled? I don't see it.

Looks like woot is going head-to-head with 1sale(aday). Same price if you buy just one. Woot wins if you buy multiples because of shipping.

I have not had to use woot CS but I can tell you that 1Sale CS does not exist except in name only. If you contact them it is a good bet you will probably never hear back, if you do it will be in a week or two and you will not resolve your issue. Be prepared to file a chargeback with your CC (1Sale can't be bothered to respond to the CC company either).

wizwor

cmirenzi wrote:Be wary though because 2 doesn't have the option for plugging in your ethernet. If you have great wireless, shouldn't be a problem, but if it's just a little sketch, it's worth having the ethernet port.

Again, both the Roku 3 and the Roku 2 XS have both network options. The newer Roku 2's and some of the older Rokus do not have an ethernet jack. Here is a chart that compares features of all currently available Rokus plus the venerable Roku 2 XS...

If you cannot see the image, click here.

agentshawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agentshawn

anyone else seem to have bad luck w/Roku players? I've bought new and refurb and they seem to die or get finicky way before other electronics seem to. Especially for something w/no moving parts.

klandon61

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klandon61

Have TWC and got one of these as a substitute for a cable box. Roku has a TWC app for this and it works great! Can watch all the channels on my cable subscription without TWC's basic (also large,ugly,and energy hogging) cable box and avoid the outrageous $12 month rental fee. Love it!

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
agentshawn wrote:anyone else seem to have bad luck w/Roku players? I've bought new and refurb and they seem to die or get finicky way before other electronics seem to. Especially for something w/no moving parts.

I purchased a Roku XD from Woot a couple of years ago. For the first year or so, I had to re-enter my password every time I used it. Not sure what was wrong with it. I also have a Sony media player that unlike the Roku, it can be turned off, a feature I like. It probably has nothing to do with it, but I always figured that the lack of ability to be able to turn off my Roku was the problem.

For some reason the Roku XD works now, I do not have to enter my password each time. I did nothing to fix it.

wizwor

agentshawn wrote:anyone else seem to have bad luck w/Roku players? I've bought new and refurb and they seem to die or get finicky way before other electronics seem to. Especially for something w/no moving parts.

I have four Roku 2 XS refurbs. One came from Meritline, one came from Woot, and two came from 1saleaday. The one from Meritline had a bad remote and Roku replaced it. Other than that problem all have worked fine. I also have had no problems with three (new) LTs I purchased. The oldest Roku is the one I purchased from Meritline on 9/17/2012.

That said, these things have a 90 day warranty for a reason.

davearnold731

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davearnold731

Sam's Club sells this BRAND NEW with a free HDMI cable for $74.99. Has a one year warranty (not 90 days). Either way this is a GREAT device that now has a real YouTube channel. The Flex channel works best for streaming and compatible content from your PC. Pictures, Videos, music. If you need great free conversion software for your videos then use www.freemake.com

David D Arnold

firefox91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firefox91

A lot of people keep talking about how sexy the Roku 3 is and the old ones are obsolete. Why? I just bought a brand new Roku 1 from Amazon for $50 and it works perfectly. The menu scrolling is spot on, so I don't see where the faster processor is needed. I have no need for the headphone jack in the remote nor the need for the motion remote to play games since I already have a ton of other gaming devices. The only limitations I found is where Roku sandbags certain updates just to get people to buy the more expensive Roku 3. (Like the Netflix profiles update.) That update will still come to my unit, just delayed. Bottom line, I haven't seen anything substantial that makes the Roku 3 so much better than the Roku 1 that I actually need.

phertiker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phertiker
rcl3027 wrote:The Roku app for the iOS devices makes your Apple device a remote control for the Roku.

And also allows you to stream music and video from your device, like the Op was asking.

phertiker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phertiker

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the Roku 3 is the only model (at the moment) to sport Netflix' shiny new interface, and it is awesome.

It also has an official Youtube app (again, exclusively, for now). This is important, because:

The Roku 3 now supports the DIAL protocol, which allows you to "cast" from Youtube and Netflix apps on Android, iOS and Chrome browser. Those apps will show you an extra button, and tapping it will list the destination devices you can choose from. You don't need to launch the app on Roku ahead of time, it will start automatically.
It's the same thing you can do with Chromecast, or Airplay if you're all Apple.

Plex has similar functionality but it doesn't support DIAL yet, so you have to launch the app on the Roku ahead of time.

giorgitd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages giorgitd
wizwor wrote:Again, both the Roku 3 and the Roku 2 XS have both network options. The newer Roku 2's and some of the older Rokus do not have an ethernet jack. Here is a chart that compares features of all currently available Rokus plus the venerable Roku 2 XS...

If you cannot see the image, click here.

OK, from this very nice table (thanks!), it appears that the 2XS does not have the headphone jack in the remote. True?

cloudpunch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cloudpunch
ILGal wrote:I have two earlier models and am thinking of replacing the oldest with this.

One question...maybe kind of silly...would I have to use their earbuds with the remote, or would any headphones with the correct sized jack work?

Thanks for the info, whoever might know...

They work just fine with any standard ⅛" / 3.5mm / mini plug. I use the same headphones I use with my iPhone all the time.

blindandcynical

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blindandcynical
atlwxman wrote:89.99 with free shipping for a new one direct from Roku. Headphones not included.

http://www.roku.com/products/roku-3

What’s Included

Roku 3 streaming player
Roku 3 enhanced game remote + headphone jack
In-ear headphones
Two AA batteries
Power adapter
Get Started guide
Free full Angry Birds Space game

julieannbowers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julieannbowers
redrotors wrote:I have not had to use woot CS but I can tell you that 1Sale CS does not exist except in name only. If you contact them it is a good bet you will probably never hear back, if you do it will be in a week or two and you will not resolve your issue. Be prepared to file a chargeback with your CC (1Sale can't be bothered to respond to the CC company either).

1saleaday SUCKS. I ordered items for Christmas (on 12/6/13) and received them finally around 1/20. I wrote them after they didn't arrive for Christmas and asked for a refund. They replied they couldn't because the order was "already processing". HA! Received a month later. Awful experience- do not trust them. But- shipping is free with them if you can get them to ship. Personally, will never buy from them again regardless of how great a bargain it appears to be.

rjapril

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjapril
cascade2k wrote:Also bought one last time around and wound up with a bad remote. I was a little worried that the Roku people wouldn't help me out since I bought a refurb, but once I linked to the sale page and forwarded them my receipt, they spent a good two weeks trouble shooting with me via email. Eventually got a brand new remote and it works like a charm. The whole family loves the unit. Recommended buy.

Having the same trouble - bought in December, hooked it up in Jan and remote doesn't work - what do you mean you 'linked to the sale page'... and got started with help? Should I just reach out directly to Roku?

Thanks,
R