cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
kamikazewave wrote:The A8 is two years old tech, but it still runs pretty well.

^^^ Don't let this scare you away. The A8 6500 (this computers CPU) was introduced in June of last year. So the chip itself is less than a year out of the gate. In fact, the A8 series are their current, standard CPUs. They have released the A10 series, but those are targeted toward gaming PCs. So don't worry about the processor, it's good.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

dsherwoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsherwoo

Please don't buy this computer or purchase from Woot. I received my computer on January 21. The graphic card is defective and HP could not fix. I notified Woot on January 25. Woot took more than a week to respond (finally today) and now says the 21 day return window is closed. That means the return window starts before you receive your merchandise.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
derek0001 wrote:Is anyone geek enough to know if the AMD A8-6500 will support an ESXi-5.x install? I know it will need more RAM, I just can't find anything indicating if the chip can handle it. Thanks

AMD CPUs and ESX[i] have always had at least some issues. It seems like these newer APUs have more issues with ESX than the older separate setups too. But then you're talking about installing an enterprise-level operating system on mid-range (at best), consumer-level hardware. That generally never works well.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

DRitzheimer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DRitzheimer

Not a bad computer. I bought a similar one before. Just big enough to fit a new power supply (that can support a mid-high end graphics card). But it will be a tight fit.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mikeashe wrote:Did anyone else catch that they misspelled Pavilion a dozen or so times in the description? Pavilion has only 1 "L", not 2. (Luckily, HP got it right on the emblem on the box itself!)

We did that to drive y'all crazy.

Also, it's a play on Heroes vs Villains.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

derek0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derek0001

Thanks! I have VMware player running 5.1 on my laptop with 16GB, but I need an EXSi server for my lab. Thanks again!

mr88talent wrote:I can tell you that after a week of trying, I could not get this PC to boot to EXSI 5.5. I had to restore Windows 8 (make sure you create restore disks), install Vmware Player and install EXSI in that. Even at that, it crashes. The Artheros NIC card is not in the standard EXSI build either, so you have to create a custom ISO.

Lagirl0221

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lagirl0221

Thank you! This helps!

bluemaple wrote:@Lagirl0221, I do some tech support on the side. I do not believe HP PCs to be any worse (or better) than others. We have several veteran HP desktops running very happily in our home. I was simply relaying the experience of others above.

Personally, when I am not confident of ease of return, I prefer a local vendor for refurbs or off-lease computers. Refurbs and off-lease computers can be great buys - nothing wrong with them in principle.

It would seem that Woot could improve its volume by providing more cooperative return of defective merchandise... but note that there might be lots of happy customers who easily returned stuff - we might be seeing the exceptions here. (Not that it excuses their mistreatment.)

One thing to consider, tho, I'd avoid all slimline (small cases) desktop PCs no matter who makes them.

I see more of them with failed power supplies than full size desktops. A failed power supply can also fry other components. And those compact power supplies are often proprietary, more difficult to find, and more expensive.

dieppe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dieppe
FezMonkey wrote:Ah yes ... HP continues it's run of excellence!

A certain irony in this statement from a Grammar Police standpoint...

willnott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willnott

Well, Woot's parent company describes that "Factory reconditioned is usually done under strict standards, "refurbishment" may not be...", and this is listed as "Factory Reconditioned. Can't get better than that, unless new, and higher cost. BUT one DOES have to ask, if the "factory" did such a great job reconditioning, why is the warranty NOT equivalent to the original one of ONE YEAR???? Yes, it is within HP's "standard T&C's" for their reconditioned products, but is also an indication that the "care & standards" used are not, in fact, as good as the original factory can do.... On that basis, along with the infamous crapware that one knows will be included, most of us thinking folks will simlpy walk on by.

willnott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willnott
Lagirl0221 wrote:Thank you! This helps!

One should also bear in mind this is a "low end CONSUMER product", and design compromises are made in favor of "economics". For non-demanding HOME use, it may be OK (if it lasts very long), but it is going beyond original design intent to "stretch" it into non-traditional uses.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

willnott wrote:Well, Woot's parent company describes that "Factory reconditioned is usually done under strict standards, "refurbishment" may not be...", and this is listed as "Factory Reconditioned. Can't get better than that, unless new, and higher cost. BUT one DOES have to ask, if the "factory" did such a great job reconditioning, why is the warranty NOT equivalent to the original one of ONE YEAR???? Yes, it is within HP's "standard T&C's" for their reconditioned products, but is also an indication that the "care & standards" used are not, in fact, as good as the original factory can do.... On that basis, along with the infamous crapware that one knows will be included, most of us thinking folks will simlpy walk on by.

“Refurbished” coveres everything from buyers’ remorse to returns and products whose defects have been repaired by the pros to damaged packaging and discontinued items. If you can accept their checked past, refurbs have a lot of love to give.

A "factory reconditioned" item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It's as close to new as you can get without technically being "new".

Here’s the official definition by a previous Woot staffer of the conditions and here’s an explanation of refurbished/recertified that may help.

RSteve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RSteve
dsherwoo wrote:Please don't buy this computer or purchase from Woot. I received my computer on January 21. The graphic card is defective and HP could not fix. I notified Woot on January 25. Woot took more than a week to respond (finally today) and now says the 21 day return window is closed. That means the return window starts before you receive your merchandise.

Virtually every card card company; Visa, AmX, MasterCard, Discover has mechanisms to resolve issues such as yours. Many extend normal product warranties. Notify the credit card company you used for the purchase. Request a charge back to Woot. Bear in mind that Woot is now an Amazon property. File a consumer fraud charge against Amazon with your state's department of consumer affairs. In your local judicial district, file the necessary paperwork in small claims court. I have always found Amazon to be very reasonable. But, decisions concerning returns/credits are made by "people" and some may be unreasonable or, simply, ignorant. Your credit card company will almost always take a stand in your behalf.

vanevenhoven

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanevenhoven

TT,

I know - but I can't PM.

And now that this is closed, I'll copy the entire message I have been trying to send:
n/m, I can't paste it and post. it gives an error.

ThunderThighs wrote:There's no reason on our end for you not being able to post. You might log out & log back in. You can send me a PM with more info. Case numbers are extremely helpful.

To PM me, click on the envelope next to my name in this post. To view your private messages, click on the envelope to the right of the Everything But Woot tab.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

vanevenhoven wrote:TT,

I know - but I can't PM.

And now that this is closed, I'll copy the entire message I have been trying to send:
n/m, I can't paste it and post. it gives an error.

What error?

Can you clear out your temps/cache on your browser?

What browser?
Are you trying from work? Firewall/security there?

Try a different computer?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders