Peaty


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Peaty

I have the 720p version from a much earlier woot. It's about what you'd expect for the money. Here is a quick video I took of my son noodling on his guitar. I just wanted to see how it worked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HgNXREevWE&feature=youtu.be

Peaty

150+ Woots and no signs of stopping...

jkeefe51


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkeefe51

SO excited to find this Gear Pro Cam. For my son's ski helmet!!

furiousporkchop


quality posts: 3 Private Messages furiousporkchop

I bought the 720 version from WOOT! a few months ago. I don't recommend buying this camera if you're a serious video junkie. But it's ok if you're using it to goof around with.

If you're planning on taking videos at night then you're going to hate this camera - even if you're only using it for fun. It's beyond terrible when it comes to dark or night time video shoots. I tried it out and I could barely see anything. My street had plenty of light but the camera just couldn't work with it and gave me a very dark video of which I could barely make out what was onscreen.

ski920


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ski920

Does anyone highly recommend this camera?

Or

Should we just stay away from it?

daveinwarshington


quality posts: 15 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I wonder, how to fit this to one of my dogs.
What the heck do they do all day?????

rootatlocalhost


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rootatlocalhost
daveinwarshington wrote:I wonder, how to fit this to one of my dogs.
What the heck do they do all day?????



It will be trying very hard to pull/chew itself free from the 5-ton battery you'll need to hook up for the day's worth of video.

You're welcome

bluemaple


quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
bluemaple wrote:First warning sign: brand name clearly rips off the brand name of the original market-maker, GoPro.

They walk right up to legal line and back away just enough to give the activist judges an excuse to dismiss.
unorthydox wrote:"Activist judges"? Really dude?

Thanks, Obama.


@unorthydox, 'can't discern from your response whether or not you understood my choice of words. Do you appreciate or detest activist judges? .... BTW, if it wasn't already clear, I detest them.

rbastedo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbastedo

I got the 720p version last year from Woot. Took it to Alaska fishing, it worked great and I had only one complaint - it isn't 1080p. It wasn't supposed to be 1080p so that is no slam on the product. I am in for one of the new ones, I'll give my old one away or use it on my car or dog or whatever. Here's a video compilation from our fishing trip last summer, begins with some effects I tried to make in edit, I like the colors and detail in the fog around the islands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRb_361zXNA

davidstevenrachel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidstevenrachel

I bought one of these from Woot last year. It was a total waste of money. The camera would not save any data to the micro-SD card. No contact number or any warranty information in package. I do not recommend that you buy one of these at any price.

deeluxx


quality posts: 1 Private Messages deeluxx
ChrisW6ATV wrote:Does anyone know what format(s) can be used on the memory card? A friend has one of these or a similar GoPro knockoff, and its memory card can only use the FAT32 format. That limits the video files to 2GB or 4GB, not very long for 1080P video.



Sad fact of life, SD cards have to be FAT32 formatted for use in ANY camera.

On the plus side, the GoPro splits files at 4gb so it'll keep recording to the limit of the card, don't know about this crappy knockoff though.

rbastedo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbastedo
davidstevenrachel wrote:I bought one of these from Woot last year. It was a total waste of money. The camera would not save any data to the micro-SD card. No contact number or any warranty information in package. I do not recommend that you buy one of these at any price.



Info on what SD card you used would be helpful. I used a 16GB micro sd card from SanDisk, class 10.

chasd60


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chasd60
ScottFromWyoming wrote:lol "Gear" pro? Never heard of it. I wonder if these are on Woot because of lawyers.


Looks like the Emerson Action Cam I just bought at WalMart for $39.99 for the 720P

http://www.focuscamera.com/emerson-go-action-cam-720p-hd-digital-video-camera-pro-grade-5-mp-video-with-screen-black.html?gclid=COfMtZTTurwCFRPxOgodhxAAIg

rbastedo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbastedo

IMHO you are getting a WHOLE lot more in the 1080p version, just bought mine and I already have last year's model.

wootatchakobsadotnet


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootatchakobsadotnet
bluemaple wrote:give the activist judges an excuse to dismiss.



These words appear to be English but I have no idea what they're intended to mean when arranged in this sequence.

No doubt the name Gear Pro was chosen to let people know that they're offering the same sort of product as Go Pro. But competition is good. Trademark law was never intended to grant monopolies, merely to prevent fraud. If you're so careless as to not be able to distinguish the word "Gear" from the word "Go" then you need to become a smarter shopper.

bluemaple


quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
bluemaple wrote:First warning sign: brand name clearly rips off the brand name of the original market-maker, GoPro.

They walk right up to legal line and back away just enough to give the activist judges an excuse to dismiss.
wootatchakobsadotnet wrote:These words appear to be English but I have no idea what they're intended to mean when arranged in this sequence.

No doubt the name Gear Pro was chosen to let people know that they're offering the same sort of product as Go Pro. But competition is good. Trademark law was never intended to grant monopolies, merely to prevent fraud. If you're so careless as to not be able to distinguish the word "Gear" from the word "Go" then you need to become a smarter shopper.


@wootatchakobsadotnet, protestation not withstanding, from your words it appears you fully understand the the intent of that statement.

While I do believe in free markets, it sounds like we have differing viewpoints on the ethics of trading upon another company's good name.

Successful free markets demand property rights, one of the few rightful places for government intervention (protection).

If you're offended by the term "activist", I apologize, but cannot help you there.

rbastedo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbastedo
chasd60 wrote:Looks like the Emerson Action Cam I just bought at WalMart for $39.99 for the 720P

http://www.focuscamera.com/emerson-go-action-cam-720p-hd-digital-video-camera-pro-grade-5-mp-video-with-screen-black.html?gclid=COfMtZTTurwCFRPxOgodhxAAIg



Yes, the cheaper one is very much like that, I believe there are also a couple other "brand names" this is being sold under. I haven't seen the 1080p version anywhere else though. (on Amazon yes, but no reviews yet)

likeaboss6


quality posts: 0 Private Messages likeaboss6
neller0414 wrote:I 100% agree with this. Plus look at the pics of what comes with each...all you're really missing in the 1080 is the "shield" which is pointless now that they have a remote (on 720p you can't use touch screen in waterproof case), the car charger which is also no big deal, and the helmet strap....but you still get the helmet mount. If a strap really isn't included, I'm sure you can figure something out.

I bought the 720p last time it was on here. It lasted about 20 minutes, not a fault to GoPro...it's because I had it mounted on my boat's wakeboard tower and the first time we were using it somebody on my boat accidentally threw it in the drink when our own wave hit the side of the boat while circling back to me, the rider in the water. Why did he do this? Because in order to get any decent actual ride time on HD video, he was opening the case every time the rider went down to pause the camera, because there's no other way to pause or play. It just so happens the wave hit the boat right as he was taking the camera out of the case.

Moral of my story....the remote is invaluable, as I would still have the old one if it had a remote, most likely. Plus for me it's especially a no brainer since I still have all those other accessories in the old box lol! Go for the 1080p.


Gear pro, not GoPro. This is a knock off.

fuzzy409


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzzy409

Why are you messing with my head -- per ststement -"Look this over. If it all looks right, click the "place your order" button to finish buying your stuff".
There is no order button and believe me I looked everywhere. Your website sucks big time woot... Dave in Canton ohio

wacwac


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wacwac

Can't ship to Alaska? Can't ship to Alaska?
God will PUNISH you. maybe you could find UPS,USP, FED EX, THEY ship to Alaska

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

fuzzy409 wrote:Why are you messing with my head -- per ststement -"Look this over. If it all looks right, click the "place your order" button to finish buying your stuff".
There is no order button and believe me I looked everywhere. Your website sucks big time woot... Dave in Canton ohio



Could you please give me more info:

Device
Operating System & version
Broser & Version



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

wachin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wachin

I have the 1080 version and suits my needs as a net cam/ goalie cam. The suction cup mount behind the net on the glass works great. This was my attempt at hanging it from inside the net. Best part is if a puck smashes it, I was only out $65.

y2kvfr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages y2kvfr
wachin wrote:I have the 1080 version and suits my needs as a net cam/ goalie cam.



Nice save!

avianchaser


quality posts: 0 Private Messages avianchaser

Hi,

I just bought the 1080p on Woot and was wondering what kind of battery life are you experiencing with the 720? Cool fishinbg video. Do you know what type of battery it takes and who has them?

Thanks!

rbastedo wrote:I got the 720p version last year from Woot. Took it to Alaska fishing, it worked great and I had only one complaint - it isn't 1080p. It wasn't supposed to be 1080p so that is no slam on the product. I am in for one of the new ones, I'll give my old one away or use it on my car or dog or whatever. Here's a video compilation from our fishing trip last summer, begins with some effects I tried to make in edit, I like the colors and detail in the fog around the islands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRb_361zXNA



anthonycolsen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthonycolsen

It says "AVI" but doesn't say what the ACTUAL compression is. (I really couldn't care less whether the video ends up in an AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, (etc) "container").

Does this compress in h264 compression, or an older compression (h263, MJPEG, MPEG)... or is it *gasp* uncompressed? :-(

Is there an official website for this camera with manuals (to download) etc?

mook10


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mook10

DO NOT BUY FROM WOOT! I bought this exact camera from woot for my son for Christmas. He opened it Christmas day and it wouldn't turn on. I had to contact customer service 3 times AND post a message in the forum before I even got a response, at which time they told me it was before the 21 day return policy and I was out of luck. I only came on here today to delete my woot account but thought I'd throw out a warning before leaving.

sb4321


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sb4321
chasd60 wrote:Looks like the Emerson Action Cam I just bought at WalMart for $39.99 for the 720P

http://www.focuscamera.com/emerson-go-action-cam-720p-hd-digital-video-camera-pro-grade-5-mp-video-with-screen-black.html?gclid=COfMtZTTurwCFRPxOgodhxAAIg



for your ingo the emerson does not have touch screen and the battery and chipset is not as good I tried them both

nutrageous


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nutrageous

This camera was in our family Secret Santa grab bag and there was grabbing and wrestling and nearly a punch thrown over it.

Skiers.

Dozer11


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dozer11

I guess you definitely get what you pay for?

You'd be better off getting that Rob Dyrdek camera... Action Shot or whatever it's called where it's shaped like a hockey puck.

stancol


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stancol
raizor wrote:ordered 3 last time they came available. 2 dead out of the box, 3rd won't stay on. Gave up trying to deal with getting them replaced. Gear pro almost impossible to contact. Beware, as will all electronics on woot anymore.



I bought 2 of the 720p last time. One of the 2 doesn't work. Broken one will not record to SD drive correctly. Can still be used as a USB web cam on a computer.

Ruzzell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ruzzell
chasd60 wrote:Looks like the Emerson Action Cam I just bought at WalMart for $39.99 for the 720P

http://www.focuscamera.com/emerson-go-action-cam-720p-hd-digital-video-camera-pro-grade-5-mp-video-with-screen-black.html?gclid=COfMtZTTurwCFRPxOgodhxAAIg



Looks just like the Vivitar 785HD (720p) too which I just bought at WallMart on clearance, $29.00.

stancol


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stancol
furiousporkchop wrote:I bought the 720 version from WOOT! a few months ago. I don't recommend buying this camera if you're a serious video junkie. But it's ok if you're using it to goof around with.

If you're planning on taking videos at night then you're going to hate this camera - even if you're only using it for fun. It's beyond terrible when it comes to dark or night time video shoots. I tried it out and I could barely see anything. My street had plenty of light but the camera just couldn't work with it and gave me a very dark video of which I could barely make out what was onscreen.



I bought them last time around too. Review is spot on. One of the two I bought was bad right out of the box. Won't record correctly to an SD card.

stancol


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stancol
Pony99CA wrote:How well will these work as dashboard cameras, especially at night? And, if you've tried them in a '99 Mustang, I'd love to hear how you mounted it.



They are very bad in low light and impossible to use after dark.

notsomuch


quality posts: 6 Private Messages notsomuch

Hmmm... tempting at first; I want to know where my dogs go for two hours every morning, but after reading the reviews...

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

stancol


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stancol
anthonycolsen wrote:It says "AVI" but doesn't say what the ACTUAL compression is. (I really couldn't care less whether the video ends up in an AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, (etc) "container").

Does this compress in h264 compression, or an older compression (h263, MJPEG, MPEG)... or is it *gasp* uncompressed? :-(

Is there an official website for this camera with manuals (to download) etc?



I'm not sure it uses any compression. If I recall correctly the max record time on a 32G drive is like 4 hours. If it was using H264 I would expect double that. Unfortunately you can't pick from any compression options. It's either 640x480 or 720p (for the cheaper version).

stancol


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stancol
ChrisW6ATV wrote:Does anyone know what format(s) can be used on the memory card? A friend has one of these or a similar GoPro knockoff, and its memory card can only use the FAT32 format. That limits the video files to 2GB or 4GB, not very long for 1080P video.



If you use the 'Auto' (Automobile) it will start a new file every 5 minutes. Record time then becomes the maximum size of the SD card. Of course if you forget to stop it, it will record over your earlier five minute videos once it fills up the SD card.

stancol


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stancol
ruffy wrote:It sure would be nice if Woot would support our troops and ship to APO addresses. It is such a small step to take to show that we care about our men and women serving overseas.



This is one item your probably better off for not being able to order it.

stancol


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stancol
nutrageous wrote:This camera was in our family Secret Santa grab bag and there was grabbing and wrestling and nearly a punch thrown over it.

Skiers.



So who wound up being the Loser...err I mean Winner? ;-)

stancol


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stancol

Maybe Woot will offer to replace all the bad and DOA Gear Pro 720p cameras they sold last time with one of the 1080p cameras. Not sure that would be a whole lot better but at least it should be able to record something. If the 1080p camera is twice as good as the 720p version it should be at least worth $12.95.

anthonycolsen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthonycolsen
stancol wrote:I'm not sure it uses any compression. If I recall correctly the max record time on a 32G drive is like 4 hours. If it was using H264 I would expect double that. Unfortunately you can't pick from any compression options. It's either 640x480 or 720p (for the cheaper version).



My math might be missing something, but doesn't that roughly imply a 35-to-1 compression ratio

32 GB for 4 hours =
34,359,738,368 Bytes for 14,400 seconds =
2,386,093 (rounded up) bytes per second (or 2 MBps)

720p is 720x1280 or 921,600 pixels. At 30 fps that means 27,648,000 pixels generated per second. Since this is 24-bit color, that's 82,944,000 bytes of information generated each second.

...for only 2,386,093 bytes used each second.

...or a compression ratio of roughly 35 to 1.

So... it is DEFINITELY compressed. :-) (*phew*)

Now... just need to find out WHICH compression it uses.

Nekosdad


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nekosdad

Thanks Woot for lighting the fire under my butt! I went out and got the GoPro with ALL the bells & whistles, straps, harness and even the remote control 1080HD...The comments helped me out here with peoples problems also skimping on the produce with NOT INCLUDING all the fun stuff is what sent us to Best Buys...Don't worry, you didn't lose a Wooter, just not taking this deal...

Nekosdad