jrmaurstad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrmaurstad
jj2k1 wrote:I've been wanting to buy this receiver and upgrade my existing Onkyo receiver for a long time now since these keep popping up on woot every other week. However I must say, I was turned off by the number of complaints from people saying that their HDMI controller boards kept burning out, and Onkyo having a relatively short warranty. What really turned me off entirely from purchasing this receiver altogether was Onkyo themselves coming onto the comments section here and giving a 'cut and paste' blanket response to basically every negative and honest thing that was complained about their units. I'm convinced that Onkyo has lost their edge in making a quality product, and I feel that they have been surpassed by other companies that produce higher quality receivers with better and longer warranties. I've been eyeballing a Yamaha receiver at Costco for a couple hundred dollars more with a lot more bells and whistles, since you basically get a lifetime warranty there if you bought it through Costco.

Go look at the comment boards for any receiver and you will see the same thing. I have two Onkyo units and researched them both heavily before buying them and have not had the HDMI board issue in 4 years.

onkyousa

quality posts: 30 Private Messages onkyousa
boxerx wrote:I got my 626 (from the other deal) a couple of days ago, and after a day of playing with the settings, I am struggling to get the volume high. The sound I am getting at half the level is worse than my cheap (50W) pioneer I used to have before.

Can the Onkyo rep help me? I saw a number of similar posts when I searched, but none seemed to actually be resolved.

Hello boxerx; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and I would like to assist you. Have you already completed the Audyssey FULL calibration onto your receiver? If you have already ran the QUICK SETUP- please run the FULL 2EQ calibration to bring out better nuances of the receiver FIRST.

Also, after running Audyssey- what is the current speaker level settings under 2.4 LEVEL CALIBRATION? Go into the HOME SETUP menu by pressing the HOME button and scroll down to 2. SPEAKER SETUP. Press ENTER and then scroll down to LEVEL CAL and press ENTER again. If the current readings are registering a negative value (i.e. - 2); you can increase this speaker channel to a positive value by pressing the > arrow button to +2 (as this is based on customer preference and the acoustical value of the listening environment).

Rule of thumb: the CENTER speaker channel should be slight higher than the FRONT channels. Cycle thru all connected speaker channels and increase the volume output based your listening preference and press the HOME button when ready to fully exit out of the menu.

You also have the option of increasing the output volume of a specific input source (i.e. CBL/SAT) via the INTELLIVOLUME feature. Go into the HOME SETUP menu and scroll down to 4. SOURCE SETUP and press ENTER. When you finished running Audyssey- select 4-2: INTELLIVOLUME and press ENTER. Press the > arrow button to increase the volume output of this particular input up to +12db above normal levels. This is also customer preferred feature.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your Onkyo product, as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

bclinton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bclinton1
slamboy1 wrote:I bought this new on woot a few months ago and when it is working it runs perfectly. The problem is that since the purchase in September it has been in the shop twice and lives there now. Maybe my unit was a lemon but I'm very disappointed and unlikely to buy Onkyo in the future.

You described what the rest of us have seen with Onkyo products for years now. Terrible support of a product with know HDMI issues for years. Why do you think you are seeing so many of these well featured receivers at such cheap prices. Because if it works at all it won't for very long without having problems. You have been warned.....pretty soon the OnkyoUSA rep will start responding to every email. He does every time these go on sale. The fact is, they have left a lot of folks with buggy receivers for years. We will not go away silently....

dagast2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dagast2

This receiver as well as the Onkyo 5600 have been on my short list, but the negative feedback in this thread has me re-evaluating.

Onkyo reviews on amazon are largely positive (4-5 stars) while discussion in woot threads leaves me a little apprehensive. Something not right there.

Thanks for the comments guys.

onkyousa

rfasman wrote:I've been thinking about upgrading my receiver for a while, and this seems like a great price for a solid receiver (hoping/assuming Onkyo corrected those HDMI board issues).
One thing that keeps me on the fence about this seems to be incompatibility with Mac devices? Given that it has bluetooth and networking I can probably live without airplay, but I want to be able to connect my ipod (classic) to the front usb panel and control it with the remote. My understanding is I can't do that on this unit without a special ipod dock (unlike denon, yamaha)? Can anyone confirm/deny?

Hello rfasman; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and I wanted to answer your inquiry. The TX-NR 626 now utilizes wireless connectivity for various Apple products (iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, etc.). It is not compatible for USB connection with the iPod classic. You can use an AUXILIARY stereo audio RCA cable to connect the iPod Classic to the receiver- but you now need to manually operate the iPod. Unfortunately- you will need an iPod dock to both operate and connect your iPod Classic onto this receiver.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your Onkyo product, as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

edstocks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edstocks

Hi All

Can any owners help with a question I have?

My primary source is Apple TV so I get a mix of TV and movies with and without surround.

I have been frustrated by my HK amp, where I must manually switch to Stereo mode to stop it using a dreadful sudo-surround with any stereo source. This means dragging out the remote and is generally inconvenient as I realize a DD source is possibly playing as I have to again dig out the remote to switch it back manually to surround Auto Select to get DD/DTS.

**Does this amp automatically switch from Stereo to DTS/DD when that data is available on the HDMI input?**

Or does it use some god awful echo-and-reverb faux surround like logic 7?

Thanks!

onkyousa

bclinton1 wrote:You described what the rest of us have seen with Onkyo products for years now. Terrible support of a product with know HDMI issues for years. Why do you think you are seeing so many of these well featured receivers at such cheap prices. Because if it works at all it won't for very long without having problems. You have been warned.....pretty soon the OnkyoUSA rep will start responding to every email. He does every time these go on sale. The fact is, they have left a lot of folks with buggy receivers for years. We will not go away silently....

Hello again bclinton1; this is the Onkyo USA Product Support representative and we have constantly reached out to you to better understand your issue and offer ANY options to resolve your issue.

We would again like to lend an ear and see what issue(s) you'd like to refresh our memories and offer some resolutions that were probably not available to you previously. As we have assisted and helped many current and previous customers with their issues; I would love the opportunity to further assist you personally.

Please send a detailed email to my attention at askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com and I will respond back promptly. As always bclinton1- we thank you for your continuing interest in Onkyo.

kershek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kershek

Oh no, I clicked through on an order and forgot to change the shipping address. I submitted a ticket to change the address, but now I'm concerned it will go to a place I'm no longer at! It also won't let me cancel and they've already charged me. With no woot online chat or custserv phone number, I'm really concerned about this order.... Here's hoping woot sees this at least as fast as the ticket I submitted before it ships.

onkyousa

silber32 wrote:Does anyone know whether an HDMI source can be output to Zone 2? Or, whether the Zone 2 menu interfaces would appear on the HDMI out to the display?

According to the manual, I think the first answer is no, only analog and NET/USB sources, but was hoping for confirmation.

Thanks!

Hello silber32; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to answer your questions- (1) HDMI via ZONE 2 is NOT available on this receiver (as it is available on the flagship models only). The 1080p OSD menu is only visible using the HDMI MAIN OUT terminal and NOTHING is outputted for the HDMI SUB OUT terminal.

szapinski

quality posts: 1 Private Messages szapinski
johnbreen wrote:Wondering about the warranty: Woot shows 1 year for this. Onkyo's site lists 2 years. Is that just because this is a refurb? Thanks.

The Onkyo rep did say before that you can purchase and extended warranty for refurbs through their website.

onkyousa

xonzon wrote:Is this 110v/220v or just 110v? I am overseas but plan to return to the US some day. I would love to have this reciver but I need to make sure I can run it without a transformer/converter.

Hello xonzon; this is Onkyo USA and we would like to answer your question. All US models operate on 120v- you'd need to purchase a compatible receiver model from the ONKYO International website- as their models do operate on 220-240v. Any unauthorized modification of the receiver's power supply will directly void the manufacturer's warranty. Although it is not recommended by Onkyo to do so for performance standards; using a voltage converter to provide power to the receiver is an option- but can cause potential and permanent damage of the internal components of the receiver.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

eggwolio wrote:This is a main contender for some of my tax return, but I've gotta ask, did Woot ever replace the TAXSUCKS coupon with something else? $50 in tax is a little overwhelming.

Sorry, we are no longer able to offer that coupon.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

onkyousa

jespensc wrote:Tempted, very tempted. But I actually like listening to the radio, and I look at the specs... nice amp, theater sound for more speakers than I'm gonna wire, wifi and bluetooth (and a wired ethernet port!), hdmi AND component switching for those older devices, client support for half a dozen streaming services.... looks nice. But the tuner has AM but no HD radio? Just basic FM?

It's like it's wearing a top-notch tuxedo, and forgot to tie its shoes.

Hello jespensc; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and to better answer your question. While the TX-NR 626 doesn't provide HD radio- it does provide TuneIn radio which does register any available HD channels. TuneIN provides both AM/ FM and HD channels as well via network connection.

ThunderThighs

Staff

kershek wrote:Oh no, I clicked through on an order and forgot to change the shipping address. I submitted a ticket to change the address, but now I'm concerned it will go to a place I'm no longer at! It also won't let me cancel and they've already charged me. With no woot online chat or custserv phone number, I'm really concerned about this order.... Here's hoping woot sees this at least as fast as the ticket I submitted before it ships.

I'm sorry but for security reasons, we do not change addresses on order. You will need to make arrangements to get it from that address or it's possible they'll refuse the shipment. Just keep an eye on the tracking.

In the future, you can cancel the order in the first 15 minutes and place the order again with the correct address. There's a link in my signature to instructions.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

onkyousa

stash911 wrote:What exactly do these things do? I recently moved into a house with ceiling and outdoor speakers with lots of wires under my TV, would this connect everything for me?

Hello stash911; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and YES the TX-NR 626 can accompany up to 7 speakers and also provide ZONE 2 connection to power a pair of speakers. You can also possibly reduce the need for excessive AV cabling with the use of HDMI cables as well.

ThunderThighs

Staff

onkyousa: Thank you for joining us again today to answer questions. It's always good to see you!

FORUM MODERATOR

onkyousa

thomas998 wrote:Does the HDCP handshake between the tv and Bluray work when passing through the receiver? The one I currently have doesn't work worth a flip.

Hello thomas998; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and I would like get some further information on both your TV and BD player. You should experience NO issues connecting these devices onto the NR 626 and also disabling the HDMI DEEP COLOR option of the receiver.

Go into the front panel of the receiver and press and holding down the following buttons: GAME and the ON/STANDBY buttons. Now you will see "DEEP COLOR: ON" on the front LED display- press these 2 buttons again and turn this option OFF. You may also need to adjust the video resolution of the source device to 1080p (or 1080i) to determine if this resolves your issue as well.

wootuser1967

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootuser1967

My experience with Onkyo is mixed. Years ago (think 2004-ish) one of the local audiophile stores told me they were 99+% solid... meaning almost no failures in the units they sold. So I bought one around 2006 when I was ready to replace my Kenwood receiver. THAT was a refurb.

Years later (2011) I replaced it with a new unit because I wanted HDMI switching. I still have the older Onkyo and it works just fine as a basic stereo receiver and CD player in my basement. Not bad for a refurb! The second NEW unit, however, failed within 18 months. HDMI board issue. Fortunately it was still under warranty and I sent it to an Onkyo Service Center for repair. It was repaired and has been flawless for over a year now. The real test will be if it makes it past that 18 month mark where the first one failed.

For $279, this is a pretty good deal if you're willing to take the risk AND use the warranty if it fails. If you're not inclined to use their warranty and don't want to be without your shiny new (or dusty slightly older) electronics, skip it.

Sound quality is very good but a lot of this depends on your speakers, of course. The Onkyo rep's note about making the center channel louder than the left and right is spot on. Set up is very important to maximizing the quality of this receiver.

I have 4 HDMI sources plugged into mine along with a component source (egads!) with no video issues.

onkyousa

grumlenz wrote:How does this compare to the obviously older tx-sr805? I have a chance to pick that up for a good used price. No wifi and no bluetooth on the 805, what else might I be losing or gaining going with one over the other?

Hello grumlenz; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to supply you with some needed information for yourself and others interested. The new TX-NR 626 provides 3D and 4k video pass-through and video compatibility for today's AV content. This receiver also supports Audio Return Channel for compatible smart TVs and also provides DOLBY TRUEHD and DTS MA HD audio formats for today's audio enjoyment.

With the included WiFi connectivity; you can now control and stream audio from your Apple or Android device- as well as connect your Android device to the receiver via MHL as well. You can further review the features and specs via this weblink: http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR626&class=Receiver&source=prodClass.

Lastly; we provide exceptional 24 hour Product Support to assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your NR 626 and/or SR 805 at (800) 229-1687, option # 3.

onkyousa

onsitestudios wrote:So far I'm happy with my purchase. I have some quibbles with it, but it turns out ALL receivers have the same limitations:
1. WiFi connection works and I can stream a bunch of services including SiriusXM. Even though this receiver handles video switching and even upscaling to 4K, it won't connect to Netflix. Dumb.
2. Bluetooth connectivity is limited. I'd like to be able to send content to my Bluetooth headphones, but all this receiver (and it turns out every other one that has Bluetooth) can do is receive content from Bluetooth devices like smartphones and tablets. (cue Price is right loser horn)
I have a Sony Blue Ray player connected that also decodes SACD and my copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon sounds AMAZING - the music dances around the room. Just like being at one of their shows.
Love the remote app on my phone - makes switching the Zone 2 audio source a piece of cake.
The auto setup with the included mic locked in my room and movies and TV shows sound fantastic. Blows away my old Sony 5.1 receiver.

Hello onsitestudios; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we thank you for your feedback. Currently- wireless video streaming (i.e. Netflix, video DLNA) is NOT available on many AV receivers. Also- receivers act as a Bluetooth receiver and NOT as a BT transmitter to send the audio to your BT headset.

Nevertheless- your commentary was awesome and we thank you for choosing Onkyo as well.

kershek

ThunderThighs wrote:I'm sorry but for security reasons, we do not change addresses on order. You will need to make arrangements to get it from that address or it's possible they'll refuse the shipment. Just keep an eye on the tracking.

In the future, you can cancel the order in the first 15 minutes and place the order again with the correct address. There's a link in my signature to instructions.

I didn't see any indication on the cancel page that there was a 15 minute limit to successfully cancel. I was sitting on that page ready to cancel but was awaiting a customer service reply so I wouldn't get charged twice for reordering.

I really think your ordering process needs to improve.

If they refuse the shipment, what happens then? Will you cancel the order then?

onkyousa

davejonas wrote:I know, no HD radio bugs me too... Have you seen many receivers with HD radio though? I haven't, at least below the price of a moped. I was trying to figure out whether the web-connectivity would be a passable substitute for HDFM, but I'm not sure. I like Onkyo, but I REALLY like HD radio.

Any suggestions, anybody?

:/

Hello davejonas; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and the receiver does provides TuneIn radio- which can tap into certain HD radio stations. You can check onto TuneIn for a listing of HD supported radio stations: http://tunein.com/radio/search/07507/Paterson-NJ/?qlc=1.

dagast2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dagast2
ThunderThighs wrote:I'm sorry but for security reasons, we do not change addresses on order. You will need to make arrangements to get it from that address or it's possible they'll refuse the shipment. Just keep an eye on the tracking.

"For security reasons we have to ship your $300 piece of audio equipment to a stranger"

kershek

I know, right? Please just cancel the order! It hasn't shipped yet!

dagast2 wrote:"For security reasons we have to ship your $300 piece of audio equipment to a stranger"

onkyousa

slamboy1 wrote:I bought this new on woot a few months ago and when it is working it runs perfectly. The problem is that since the purchase in September it has been in the shop twice and lives there now. Maybe my unit was a lemon but I'm very disappointed and unlikely to buy Onkyo in the future.

Hello slamboy; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and upon reading your post- we would like some information to inquire with the service center on the issues you are reporting. We would also like to see what level or support and resolution we can possibly provide for you as well.

onkyousa

bluemaple wrote:@jespensc, completely agree on the lack of HD radio thing. Anybody who has heard HD radio, even in a noisy car environment, will recognize the sweetness of it! It brings the mediocre FM spec limits up to near CD sound quality. And it even improves AM to approaching FM quality - you do notice it even on news/talk content.

I guess the Receiver brands figure nobody listens to broadcast radio anymore. But this can't require more than a $5 chip. Seems like the broadcast industry would even subsidize it to prevent their death.

Hello bluemaple; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to mention that TuneIn radio also provides access to some HD radio stations. Please check onto this weblink for a listing of supported HD radio stations: http://tunein.com/radio/search/07507/Paterson-NJ/?qlc=1. Simply select the LOCAL tab and it'll register the local HD radio stations in your area.

onkyousa

hlywd wrote:OK, it's not the same device, however, when they ran this receiver, and the 727 before Christmas I bought the 727. It has a lot of great features, but controlling them is a little sloppy... That wouldn't necessarily put me off of it, but the real problem is that it has video problem. The video cuts in and out for a while, then goes to a green screen. I haven't had time to deal with it yet, but be aware there are issues with some of these units.

Hello hlywd, this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and upon reading your post- have you already disabled HDMI DEEP COLOR on the receiver? Have you also contacted our 24 hour Product Support department for further assistance (800-229-1687, option # 3)? How much ventilation spacing are you providing on the top and rear of this receiver? What is displayed when you press the DISPLAY button repeatedly on the receiver? It seems you will benefit from disabling the DEEP COLOR feature of the receiver

wwinch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wwinch
Chmarr wrote:We've just got one of these (yes, the 626) at home, and it's a damn fine device.

And, likely a minor point, but one that I'm especially fond making about Onkyo devices: the remotes DONT SUCK. Just about every other receiver manufacturer - Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon - the remote controls are a UI and industrial design DISASTER.

I've got a different model but with the same remote. I like the Onkyo remote better than the Harmony remotes I've tried. (Wonder if I can get just a remote to replace the ridiculous Sony remote in my other room?)

Only flaw is no subtitles button.

stugoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stugoldstein
jj2k1 wrote:I've been wanting to buy this receiver and upgrade my existing Onkyo receiver for a long time now since these keep popping up on woot every other week. However I must say, I was turned off by the number of complaints from people saying that their HDMI controller boards kept burning out, and Onkyo having a relatively short warranty. What really turned me off entirely from purchasing this receiver altogether was Onkyo themselves coming onto the comments section here and giving a 'cut and paste' blanket response to basically every negative and honest thing that was complained about their units. I'm convinced that Onkyo has lost their edge in making a quality product, and I feel that they have been surpassed by other companies that produce higher quality receivers with better and longer warranties. I've been eyeballing a Yamaha receiver at Costco for a couple hundred dollars more with a lot more bells and whistles, since you basically get a lifetime warranty there if you bought it through Costco.

OK I'm glad to see this receiver is available again and I'm ready to buy. Cut and Paste- rhetoric- whatever at least Onkyo is here. What receiver do you own and why are you commenting on a receiver you do not own? Do you do this all day? Who do you work for and they must be paying you good to look like a smuck online.

Last time they were some angry guys on Woot and I guess they were happily assisted cuz they usually online. So your comment just shows you are either delusional (as my Denon is having the same HDMI board issue and my son's much louder Pioneer is also having HDMI issues). Good luck trying to get a word with them- all thru email- no online support. So they keep their dirt in house but when you are the one affected- you realize why they do so. For the money paid (costs more than an Onkyo + the name alone) my AV units should last 10 years before an issue arises. I read somewhere that HDMI is a new and changing technology- but I also seem on a forum that the other AV manufacturers are also having their own issues bigger than one person who's shaky on buying a receiver.

FYI- contact Onkyo and the Product Offers department to buy a extended 2 year warranty. This way you are covered by Onkyo and they must own up to the issue. It seems as if they are actually convincing others and your efforts are falling on deaf ears. Thank you Onkyo and the CS person for your assistance.

stugoldstein

wootuser1967 wrote:My experience with Onkyo is mixed. Years ago (think 2004-ish) one of the local audiophile stores told me they were 99+% solid... meaning almost no failures in the units they sold. So I bought one around 2006 when I was ready to replace my Kenwood receiver. THAT was a refurb.

Years later (2011) I replaced it with a new unit because I wanted HDMI switching. I still have the older Onkyo and it works just fine as a basic stereo receiver and CD player in my basement. Not bad for a refurb! The second NEW unit, however, failed within 18 months. HDMI board issue. Fortunately it was still under warranty and I sent it to an Onkyo Service Center for repair. It was repaired and has been flawless for over a year now. The real test will be if it makes it past that 18 month mark where the first one failed.

For $279, this is a pretty good deal if you're willing to take the risk AND use the warranty if it fails. If you're not inclined to use their warranty and don't want to be without your shiny new (or dusty slightly older) electronics, skip it.

Sound quality is very good but a lot of this depends on your speakers, of course. The Onkyo rep's note about making the center channel louder than the left and right is spot on. Set up is very important to maximizing the quality of this receiver.

I have 4 HDMI sources plugged into mine along with a component source (egads!) with no video issues.

That's what I like to read- a concise and actual post. Im liking what I'm reading so far today. And yes that Bill Clinton guy is always on and Onkyo always asks to speak with him and get info and I guess he isn't ready for change LOL.

stugoldstein

stugoldstein wrote:That's what I like to read- a concise and actual post. Im liking what I'm reading so far today. And yes that Bill Clinton guy is always on and Onkyo always asks to speak with him and get info and I guess he isn't ready for change LOL.

Maybe Clinton should stop trying to have sex with fat interns and respond back to Onkyo. LOL. your wife looks like she can write a letter to Onkyo- you can sit back and eat Big Macs and play the saxophone. LOL

stugoldstein

szapinski wrote:The Onkyo rep did say before that you can purchase and extended warranty for refurbs through their website.

Right- my point exactly. For added peace of mind- I always buy the extended warranty from Onkyo.

stugoldstein

dagast2 wrote:This receiver as well as the Onkyo 5600 have been on my short list, but the negative feedback in this thread has me re-evaluating.

Onkyo reviews on amazon are largely positive (4-5 stars) while discussion in woot threads leaves me a little apprehensive. Something not right there.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Here's a rule of thumb- many happy customers don't have the time to write back about their receivers. They go on with their lives and some are conscious enough to reply back to help others. It's the ones that work for a company that adds negative comments from their clients to benefit. My daughter in law works for a company based out of Atlanta who does that. Knowing that- they are basically showing "people are dumb" and act as lemmings going out to sea. It's sad- best bet is to review everything.

goatcrapp

quality posts: 16 Private Messages goatcrapp

How does the 626 compare to a denon 1913? I have a 1913 now, and the audio fidelity is superb, but it's also no frills. I like the wifi/bluetooth and app capability of this onkyo, but am unsure how it compares, sonically.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Well, y'all done gobbled this one up so have a go at the TX-NR727 model.

FORUM MODERATOR

hogleg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hogleg
stugoldstein wrote:OK I'm glad to see this receiver is available again and I'm ready to buy. Cut and Paste- rhetoric- whatever at least Onkyo is here. What receiver do you own and why are you commenting on a receiver you do not own....

Yamaha.
Before that, Onkyo. Before that, Technics. Before that, a really old Technics. My brother rolls with vintage Marantz and some even more vintage stuff I don't even pretend to get. My cousins, who got me into music, are Pioneer and Sony guys, respectively. It's not my first trip to the rodeo.

The fact is other brands are NOT having problems of the magnitude reported for this device. When you see this many refurbs it indicates a flawed design.

We have had posts in the past discussing the quality of the caps on the HDMI boards (or lack thereof). I understand a budget line can't use top of the line components, but when you create a product or situation in which your lesser components fail by design, that is BAD DESIGN. Plenty of companies use comparatively weaker parts, only they try to do it in places where the parts can succeed. Even football coaches do that.

Yay for Onkyo coming on here and talking. CS is a strength and we can all agree on that now. It does not, however, outweigh the fact that they NEED that CS just to cover up for miscues in the design.

People are complaining because Onkyo used to be spoken in the same breath as Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Harman Kardon and Yamaha, and now they are...woot refurb deals. Go and try to find ANY of those other brands with problems of this magnitude. I've tried.

Maybe the next Onkyo model will be the one to rule them all; if it is I'd consider it. This model and its derivatives are verifiable duds, and disturbingly, that trend carried over from last year.

What I want to see that Onkyo rep post are some statistics that indicate WHY these are factory refurbs. Maybe it was a one time thing. For now, I have to doubt it.

jbserra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jbserra

Every email, but mine...

Maybe I'm on a "special" list over there at Onkyo support :-)

bclinton1 wrote:You described what the rest of us have seen with Onkyo products for years now. Terrible support of a product with know HDMI issues for years. Why do you think you are seeing so many of these well featured receivers at such cheap prices. Because if it works at all it won't for very long without having problems. You have been warned.....pretty soon the OnkyoUSA rep will start responding to every email. He does every time these go on sale. The fact is, they have left a lot of folks with buggy receivers for years. We will not go away silently....

maynerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maynerd

How do I cancel my order? I sent a message to support but worried it will ship before cancelation.

kershek

maynerd wrote:How do I cancel my order? I sent a message to support but worried it will ship before cancelation.

I'm in the same boat - I tried canceling with a support ticket but they aren't responding. In fact, their auto-response says they're swamped due to the "holiday season" which ended 6 weeks ago!

I have a feeling I just lost $285 and Woot is not helping me cancel my order.

RBWard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RBWard
bluemaple wrote:
I guess the Receiver brands figure nobody listens to broadcast radio anymore. But this can't require more than a $5 chip. Seems like the broadcast industry would even subsidize it to prevent their death.

FYI, HD Radio is a proprietary standard so there's also the licensing fee to iBiquitiy. I'm not a fan of proprietary & licensed technologies being official standards with government endorsement.