bnjmn375


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bnjmn375

There are people called C&E people. We go to church on Christmas and/or Easter, just to make our family happy.

keysmad


quality posts: 10 Private Messages keysmad

Seriously interested in why woot chose this questions... hmmm...

I choose to be Christian. I screw up regularly. All church is to me is a bunch of screwed up people who are trying to love God and love others. I consider myself to be one of the biggest screw ups ever. You will never hear me judge anyone because no one has made a bigger mistake than myself. The best choice I ever made was to go to Celebrate Recovery to deal with my addictions. If you want to meet a whole bunch of people with a whole bunch of issues who are trying to simply live without any sort of facade, just search celebrate recovery and find a meeting and a location near you. It's eye opening. Church was never meant to be a gathering of a bunch of do-goers who sit in pews. It was meant to be a gathering of people who encourage and help all who are struggling. That's my church. A bunch of screw ups who want joy which is only found by saying yes Jesus, I accept, I want to follow you. I need help and I no longer want to do it on my own.

Shinespark


quality posts: 31 Private Messages Shinespark
disciple15 wrote:It's funny how athiests say that there is no God, but are the first to protect the whales, animals, earth, etc. If there is no God, then there is no right. There is no wrong. Shooting up schools filled with children is ok. If there is no God, then right and wrong is a concept invented by man, and has no place in reality.


Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you just implied morality can't exist without a specific monotheistic deity to dictate it. Which is really, really pon farred up.

LittleTimmyTumbledown


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleTimmyTumbledown
mrchris10804 wrote:It takes a TON of faith to believe in the theory of evolution! So many holes it just doesn't hold water. The list of problems is extraordinary . The biggest problem I usually think of is why it's so hard to find in-between species fossils. Darwin agrees in his book Origin of Species:

"Why, if species have descended from other species by insensibly fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms. -Charles Darwin”.

Darwin is also right on this point:

“To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree. -Charles Darwin”



Using quotes by Charles Darwin to disprove evolution is a lot like using things that Alexander Graham Bell might have said in 1876 to disprove the existence of the present day worldwide cell phone network.

Guess what? Evolution has (wait for it...) evolved. Those "issues" you try to bring up and make a big deal about really aren't issues at all. Read Richard Dawkins. Read Daniel Dennett.

bratakeroffer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bratakeroffer
disciple15 wrote:It's funny how athiests say that there is no God, but are the first to protect the whales, animals, earth, etc. If there is no God, then there is no right. There is no wrong. Shooting up schools filled with children is ok. If there is no God, then right and wrong is a concept invented by man, and has no place in reality.



I would say you are right, but you just proved yourself wrong.

cm20158


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cm20158
disciple15 wrote:It's funny how athiests say that there is no God, but are the first to protect the whales, animals, earth, etc. If there is no God, then there is no right. There is no wrong. Shooting up schools filled with children is ok. If there is no God, then right and wrong is a concept invented by man, and has no place in reality.



Do you understand the concept of circular logic? Without god right & wrong are a concept invented by man but god is not a concept invented by man? This entire argument from believers about right & wrong is so infantile. We all know how we feel when we are wronged by another. We do not need to be told we should feel bad. And we all know why we treat people badly when we do. We don't need god to tell us why we did it and it is a hollow feeling.
The admission that if you weren't a godly person you'd be a total $#i! says more about you than it does about others.

richardmeredith


quality posts: 0 Private Messages richardmeredith
danstas wrote:I guess I am just lucky in Lancaster PA because we have soooo many churches with services that actually make a difference in our lives. They help us understand the connection between the Bible and our daily lives and how God wants us to live.





I am also a Lanc resident and could not agree more with the above statement.

ottobord


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ottobord
bsmith1 wrote:It's not the fellowship that is threatening, it's how so many grown-ass adults can be convinced to believe something there is no evidence to support.
It'd be perfectly cool if people just liked getting together to hang out and sing some tunes on Sunday then maybe going out and helping people in need. All the talk about the man in the sky and the burning for eternity if you don't do as he says makes it weird.



How is this threatening? Many people believe things with out evidence like massage therapists who believe they can feel the energy off if someone's back or the common consumer who thinks the 100$ monster cable they bought at best buy improves the picture. I cannot see a good explanation as to why an atheist would feel the need to speak out against that principle with religion but not for the thousands of other things that are done with no evidence. Do you believe a person can be straight or gay? There is no hard evidence to prove someone sexual orientation other than ones own experience. So unless atheists start attacking every part of society that lacks an evidence base in an effort for a purely evidence based world, it just makes them look like the are threatened by truth in religion.

fierogt


quality posts: 1 Private Messages fierogt
MountainWestBob wrote:Used to be religious, but began to study the origin of the Biblical stories, the origin of "Sin," the development of the books of the newer Testament and so on. Upshot: no longer religious.



Same here. I find it truly amazing how much more atheists know about religion than the religious folks do. Then again, ignorance is what keeps religion alive and well.

ottobord


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ottobord


Someone is messing with posts

ottobord


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ottobord

I tried to post a comment opposing atheism and someone changed my post to saying I am ignorant. Sad someone would need to change someone words.

manhandsha


quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

ottobord wrote:I tried to post a comment opposing atheism and someone changed my post to saying I am ignorant. Sad someone would need to change someone words.



Depending on the words you used, we have filters in place. It's a pretty good chance that no one touched your post, just simply our word filters at play.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

ottobord


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ottobord
manhandsha wrote:Depending on the words you used, we have filters in place. It's a pretty good chance that no one touched your post, just simply our word filters at play.



Ok I did not curse or anything plus it added words I never said making my points different. But whatevz

mm20


quality posts: 34 Private Messages mm20

Where is the "Religion is a crutch for the weak and gullible" option?

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

Shinespark


quality posts: 31 Private Messages Shinespark
ottobord wrote:Ok I did not curse or anything plus it added words I never said making my points different. But whatevz



Personally, that's my favorite kind of word (un)filter, "alcohol."

s810


quality posts: 0 Private Messages s810

Church duped me! They told me the first and only two people on earth were Adam and Eve. They had two sons. One brother killed the other. That brother, Kain (sp?), was banished by "god" to the land of Nod where he took a wife. Hey,wait a minute. Where did she come from? Don't tell me it's his sister!!! What is this book telling me?! One example,good bye organized religion hello freedom and happiness.

ibhunting


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibhunting

Many believe only Cain and Abel were born to Adam and Eve but the Bible says that by the time Cain took a wife there were many human beings, that came from Adam.
Genesis is not written in chronological order.
Genesis 5:4 states, "Then the days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years, and he had other sons and daughters."
Adam and Eve were kicked out of
Eden. And if you go by this, it is
entirely possible for Cain to marry.

charliecarroll


quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
bsmith1 wrote:It's not the fellowship that is threatening, it's how so many grown-ass adults can be convinced to believe something there is no evidence to support.
It'd be perfectly cool if people just liked getting together to hang out and sing some tunes on Sunday then maybe going out and helping people in need. All the talk about the man in the sky and the burning for eternity if you don't do as he says makes it weird.



That is why it is called "Faith". It is so surprising to me there are so many grown a***d adults that do not understand the definition and/or the concept of the word.

jeffredo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jeffredo

Ten years ago. Realized I was just going through the motions to be part of a social group. After a few years I finally stopped looking the other way on a number of issues. Since I wasn't a conservative Republican and I supported gay rights an evangelical Protestant church probably wasn't the best fit for me.

middlehead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages middlehead

The last time I "went to church" was over 10 years ago, for my grandfather's 75th birthday. Before that, when I was a child and not allowed to decide.

The last time I was in a church for any reason was a wedding last summer.

strawhousepig


quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
disciple15 wrote:It's funny how athiests say that there is no God, but are the first to protect the whales, animals, earth, etc. If there is no God, then there is no right. There is no wrong. Shooting up schools filled with children is ok. If there is no God, then right and wrong is a concept invented by man, and has no place in reality.


A lot of crap being thrown out in this thread but this takes the crown. I'm not joking in saying that if you truly believe this then you may be a sociopath. You should consider professional help. And no, your imaginary friend isn't gonna cut it because, were they real, shooting up a school full of children was perfectly OK with them. And you defend this "almighty" creature. For shame.

Needless to say, I don't buy the churches lies or any of the ancient superstitions they teach as truth without *any* facts, not even one, to back it up. Not a single observation. Nothing. Yet I do in fact hold value for the lives of my fellow man and their well being in general. I try to have faith in them and their abilities. Why? Because even though that can be proven as misplaced in some individuals, in some it is more than worth it and my life has been enriched due to it. Hopefully, so long as I try, others will say the same about me.

As for the Darwin fan, don't bother asking questions you will never accept the answers to. You play a fool when you do.



"phasers on you" is in the scare filter? What the hell??

swivan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages swivan

All faith is built on evidences. That said, it takes far more faith to believe in evolution than in God. One is a theory (unproven) and the other is self-evident.

mainmchc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mainmchc

Easter 1993. That was just before I moved out of my Moms house.
(I was 12)

Serafyna


quality posts: 11 Private Messages Serafyna
disciple15 wrote:It's funny how athiests say that there is no God, but are the first to protect the whales, animals, earth, etc. If there is no God, then there is no right. There is no wrong. Shooting up schools filled with children is ok. If there is no God, then right and wrong is a concept invented by man, and has no place in reality.



You seriously scare me. If you're only good because you fear eternal punishment -- does that really make you a GOOD person, much less a godly Christian? (Or whatever faith you have that stops you from shooting up schools)

I am an atheist. Like many others here I read the bible, I even went to churches, one for over a year. I didn't make the choice on a whim. I don't believe. Simple as that. I am not on a personal quest to disprove religion, it's just not for me.

I can't stand the hypocrisy of modern Christianity picking a choosing which parts of the bible to follow to the letter and which to ignore. It's like Ghandi so aptly pointed out, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

The last time I was in a church was Boy Scouts, which we quit because they still don't allow atheist members.

januarymick


quality posts: 0 Private Messages januarymick

Not since I came to my senses. Atheist and happy!

LittleTimmyTumbledown


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleTimmyTumbledown
swivan wrote:All faith is built on evidences. That said, it takes far more faith to believe in evolution than in God. One is a theory (unproven) and the other is self-evident.



Theory means a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained. So, yes, evolution is a theory—with evidence to support it that no rational person could dispute. By the same token, gravity is a theory since we have a system of ideas to explain it as well. Do you also have doubts about gravity?

As far as belief in some god figure being self-evident, so is belief in the tooth fairy: "I went to sleep with a tooth under my pillow, and I woke up and the tooth was gone, and there was a dollar in its place. It must be the tooth fairy—just like Mommy and Daddy told me!"

An even better example is Santa Claus: a being who lives up north on top of the world, can accomplish things physically impossible in a rational world, and knows when you've been good or bad and rewards or punishes you accordingly. And the only reason any child believes in this nonsense—or any other supernatural belief system—is because parents indoctrinate their children into this cult of lies, not because it is self evident.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
brok3n wrote:LOL. Church.



Nice. In the world of Catholic Saints, there is St. Kateri Tekakwitha, the first Native American (First Nation) person to be given that honor.

But many of the representations of her look awfully European, and also ignore the fact that she was scarred by smallpox.

She was sometimes referred to as the "mystic of the wilderness," which I think is a pretty cool thing!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

What a nice thread. My local Wisconsin paper posts letters from Atheists on a regular basic (usually on Sunday). They do it just to get more "eyeballs" and clicks to their site so the salespeople have better-looking stats. [There are also local extremists placed there for the same reason.]

Replies to posts for or against religion are pretty shallow, AND there are several posters who log on with different names, so it's pretty useless reading.

While your poll is "unscientific" it is still interesting and many of the comments on either side show some thinking behind them.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

dtairtime


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtairtime

OK I have to chime in after all the post I keep reading here that the person seems to feel THEY know more than someone else who feels differently.

Faith SHOULD be about forgiveness and acceptance. If your church tries to make others out to be wrong because they don't go to that church, feel the same, etc then sorry but they are NOT good or what religion SHOULD be about.

If God exists (I have fluctuated many times over the years on my personal beliefs for many reasons)and he is ANYTHING like those who believe in him say he is then he must be accepting of people of all religions and those who don't believe in him at all. Think about it this way. There are billions of people in this world who will never have the chance to know more than what they are taught by their parents or where they live. Does that make them bad or sinners? Does that make them unworthy?

Only a fool would think their way is the only way and only a another fool would worry about what the first fool thinks.

MosquitoControl


quality posts: 14 Private Messages MosquitoControl
disciple15 wrote:It's funny how athiests say that there is no God, but are the first to protect the whales, animals, earth, etc. If there is no God, then there is no right. There is no wrong. Shooting up schools filled with children is ok. If there is no God, then right and wrong is a concept invented by man, and has no place in reality.



I don't want to live in a world where the only reason people don't shoot up schools is because they're afraid of eternal punishment.
Apparently this is your point of view - right and wrong come solely from religion.

Also, some of you really need to better understand scientific theory (as a term) and evolution as a whole. No one is claiming a chimp gave birth to a half-man half-chimp. Many of you have extremely poor understanding of the science, most likely because it was taught to you by someone trying to discredit it in return for you giving him some money every week.

Religion and evolution can coexist just fine, yet people still fight evolution. It's odd.

And morals existed before religion. They'll continue to exist after. It isn't the sole place to find them. I mean, more deaths have likely been done in the name of God (or a God) than otherwise. Hooray Inquisition!

dark7474


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dark7474

what does it have to do with woot ,i can think of a lot of additives why it doesn't ,fire that person who thinks these stupid things up ,is top of my list .

EchoSeven


quality posts: 0 Private Messages EchoSeven

Proud Christian here, so I had to sound off on this. I still question the Bible as I study it, just as many of us do. When I was younger and not a believer I would have agreed with those calling the Word 'fantasy' or 'manipulation', but even then would refrain from accusing anyone of being ignorant because of their faith. Now I worship my God my way, alongside many friends who considered themselves lost or broken before finding Christ.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
mrchris10804 wrote:Amen csc03c. I'm actually surprised how many grown people believe in evolution. It takes a heck of a lot of faith to believe in evolution.



(CNN) -- A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died of a snakebite.

Jamie Coots died Saturday evening after refusing to be treated, Middleborough police said.

On "Snake Salvation," the ardent [religious sect] believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
dark7474 wrote:what does it have to do with woot ,i can think of a lot of additives why it doesn't ,fire that person who thinks these stupid things up ,is top of my list .



It's a nice discussion and I'm going to credit Woot! and talk about it on my radio show next week.

Better than asking about boxers vs briefs, although the model in the cartoon panties ad could make a believer out of me.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

btuck895


quality posts: 1 Private Messages btuck895
disciple15 wrote:It's funny how athiests say that there is no God, but are the first to protect the whales, animals, earth, etc. If there is no God, then there is no right. There is no wrong. Shooting up schools filled with children is ok. If there is no God, then right and wrong is a concept invented by man, and has no place in reality.



As Penn Jillette said:

"The question I get asked by religious people all the time is, without God, what’s to stop me from raping all I want? And my answer is: I do terrible act all I want. And the amount I want is zero. And I do murder all I want, and the amount I want is zero. The fact that these people think that if they didn’t have this person watching over them that they would go on killing, raping rampages is the most self-damning thing I can imagine. I don't want to do that. Right now, without any god, I don't want to jump across this table and strangle you. I have no desire to strangle you. I have no desire to flip you over and terrible act you. You know what I mean?"

btuck895


quality posts: 1 Private Messages btuck895

LOL at the word filters. They won't allow the word meaning sexual assault but will allow all the derivative words.

januarymick


quality posts: 0 Private Messages januarymick
btuck895 wrote:LOL at the word filters. They won't allow the word meaning sexual assault but will allow all the derivative words.



Thanks for the clarification on the wording (filter). I think I've heard this from Penn before and something about it just didn't seem to flow right!, lol.

hot72chev


quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev
radi0j0hn wrote:(CNN) -- A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died of a snakebite.

Jamie Coots died Saturday evening after refusing to be treated, Middleborough police said.

On "Snake Salvation," the ardent [religious sect] believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God.



So how is that Jesus thing working out for ya?

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

Do you want to know when I went to church, or my preferred house of worship? The first 2 months ago ( for a baptism) and the second, about a month ago, just because.

bombarde


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bombarde

I repair church organs and go to church six days a week.