stet

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stet

Does it have a web browser capable of streaming video?

XTCfan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages XTCfan

People haven't mentioned yet that the Roku 3 is the only device of theirs that will stream YouTube, though their site does say that "it is a priority for us to make YouTube available on more Roku devices next year" (that comment was posted in Dec. 2013).

In for one. I love the refurb 2XD that I got here previously.

kurtois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kurtois
wizwor wrote:You can select among multiple Simple DVRs, watch, record, delete shows.

Any chance you have picked up the SiliconDust version of the SImpleTV yet? Or do you prefer v1 of the SImpleTV?

I wonder if we will see the v1 pop up again on woot. I have one still in box, but considering a second.

wizwor

quality posts: 26 Private Messages wizwor
kurtois wrote:Any chance you have picked up the SiliconDust version of the SImpleTV yet? Or do you prefer v1 of the SImpleTV?

I wonder if we will see the v1 pop up again on woot. I have one still in box, but considering a second.

I prefer the v1. There are no fans, they cost 1/2 the price, and I think one tuner writing to a disk at a time is a good idea. I have four of the v1 DVRs each with a 2t disk, so 8t of storage. I have called them Sitcoms, Dramas, Lifestyle, and Movies which makes it obvious where to look for Bones or This Old House. Some good info here (this is not a Simple woot).

wizwor

XTCfan wrote:People haven't mentioned yet that the Roku 3 is the only device of theirs that will stream YouTube.

Probably because it's not true.

VideoBuzz
See Question 6

wizwor

stet wrote:Does it have a web browser capable of streaming video?

No web browser at all. Kind of sucks at hotels where you have to enter a code and agree to TOS.

wizwor

prepperj wrote:got one a month or so back when it was on here last time and I couldn't be more pleased. This will be replacing my cable. Prime Netflix and hulu combined have far more content than dish or directtv and for all of 24 a month.

This is that stuff that refurbs are made of. If you enjoy local programming, cable sports, continuous programming, or time shifting, the Roku 3 is not going to replace your cable or broadcast television service. I think Roku and other streaming media interests misrepresent themselves as a substitute for cable or broadcast television. It’s obvious that they are not once you plug the device in and, as a consequence, there is no shortage of refurbished Rokus.

retropug

quality posts: 2 Private Messages retropug

I think one of the coolest features is the headphone port on the side of the remote! I wish more devices were able to work this way. I have a couple Roku 3s and it's great to be able to use your own headphones and have a volume adjustment right on the remote for your own personal listening. I can crank stuff up and not disturb the wife who's sleeping. Pretty cool feature.

shadow7118

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadow7118
daemonfly wrote:My Roku 3 has been great, but the main question should be "How good are the Roku Refurbs?" Do they have QC issues? Are they reliable?

For example, in my experience: Samsung refurbs - never again, ugh, 0/3 there.

The Roku I got from WOOT back in January powers up, but the remote won't 'Pair' with the unit rendering it useless. I contacted WOOT asking for a replacement or refund, but they said this is a known issue w/Roku and they deferred me to Roku for support.

per the manual, I've already spent an hour trying to Pair the remote, which I already told them didn't work. Yes WOOT, I can read a Manual!

I'll try Roku, but I don't have time to have non-working junk delivered to my doorstep.

I've bought a LOT of stuff from WOOT in the past, but their customer service has been pretty worthless IMO & it will be the last refurb I purchase from them.

Very disappointed WOOT..
My advise, just get a NEW one at Costco for a couple $$ more.. at least if you have a problem, they'll allow you to return or exchange it for a working product.

wizwor

retropug wrote:I think one of the coolest features is the headphone port on the side of the remote! I wish more devices were able to work this way. I have a couple Roku 3s and it's great to be able to use your own headphones and have a volume adjustment right on the remote for your own personal listening. I can crank stuff up and not disturb the wife who's sleeping. Pretty cool feature.

Better to get a dedicated rf headset. It will pay for itself in batteries not replaced plus you can listen to EVERYTHING that comes out of your TV.

sirpas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirpas

Usually I would take Woot's sarcasm pretty well, but the "Time Warning" text actually got my attention. This isn't the first time I've heard about media corps. wanting to control streaming media. How real is this issue? I have an Apple TV and have enjoyed it plenty (along with DirecTV). Would like to dump satellite all together. Thoughts?

mrpeach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrpeach
Tufflaw wrote:It does via Plex

And via PlayOn.

yinhong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yinhong
kurtois wrote:Is anyone using their Roku with a SimpleTV? How is it working out?

Yes... works fine with the roku app for simple.tv. But you have to remember that steaming is not HD so the picture suffers a bit. Also remember that it takes a minute or two for resolution to improve once you start streaming.

inirons

quality posts: 3 Private Messages inirons
shadow7118 wrote:The Roku I got from WOOT back in January powers up, but the remote won't 'Pair' with the unit rendering it useless. I contacted WOOT asking for a replacement or refund, but they said this is a known issue w/Roku and they deferred me to Roku for support.

per the manual, I've already spent an hour trying to Pair the remote, which I already told them didn't work. Yes WOOT, I can read a Manual!

I'll try Roku, but I don't have time to have non-working junk delivered to my doorstep.

I've bought a LOT of stuff from WOOT in the past, but their customer service has been pretty worthless IMO & it will be the last refurb I purchase from them.

Very disappointed WOOT..
My advise, just get a NEW one at Costco for a couple $$ more.. at least if you have a problem, they'll allow you to return or exchange it for a working product.

I agree whole heartily with this post, bought Roku off woot back in December and it simply would not pair.

Took 2 weeks for them to respond and every email to their support checking the status of request for RMA resulted in another trouble ticket. I finally got RMA.

So you roll the dice and takes your chances... if you get a Roku that has actually been QC'd you will be happy, otherwise you are on your own.

An overall observation of woot... absolutely TERRIBLE customer service now, to me this company has lost its way, so Caveat Emptor

rollee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rollee

I bought one of these Roku 3 players a few weeks ago, and it works really well. I WAS disappointed though, in the misleading talk about so many channels. Most of them you have to PAY for, so it isn't free like I thought. Oh sure, there are a lot of free channels out there with free movies, etc, but it is somewhat difficult to find them. There is a tab on the menu which allows you to see "free" channels, so that makes it easier to find them. But, considering the advertising talks about 1600 channels, I sure expected to be able to have that much of a free choice. I have found that most of my time on Roku is spent watching the YouTube channel. It looks SO much better than watching via the computer!

mrpeach

gwarnock wrote:I purchased 2 Roku2 XD's for Christmas, and they have worked flawless.

I purchased an original Roku refurb, and based on that experience I have since bought 4 more Rokus (XDS & HD-XR) off eBay. I'll never go back to watching streaming video on my PC.

mrpeach

rollee wrote:I bought one of these Roku 3 players a few weeks ago, and it works really well. I WAS disappointed though, in the misleading talk about so many channels. Most of them you have to PAY for, so it isn't free like I thought. Oh sure, there are a lot of free channels out there with free movies, etc, but it is somewhat difficult to find them. There is a tab on the menu which allows you to see "free" channels, so that makes it easier to find them. But, considering the advertising talks about 1600 channels, I sure expected to be able to have that much of a free choice. I have found that most of my time on Roku is spent watching the YouTube channel. It looks SO much better than watching via the computer!

Get Plex or PlayOn, they increase your variety significantly. I personally have both.

mrpeach

sirpas wrote:Usually I would take Woot's sarcasm pretty well, but the "Time Warning" text actually got my attention. This isn't the first time I've heard about media corps. wanting to control streaming media. How real is this issue? I have an Apple TV and have enjoyed it plenty (along with DirecTV). Would like to dump satellite all together. Thoughts?

The only reason I continue to have a relationship with my local cable co (Comcast) is because they are the only BB provider in town. If I had an option I'd drop them like a wedding dress.

mrpeach

wizwor wrote:No web browser at all. Kind of sucks at hotels where you have to enter a code and agree to TOS.

I usually carry along a small gateway and my cellphone. This solves both the problem you raise (authorize with the cell, play on Roku) as well as the no (or pay) internet problem (grandfathered Verizon account with unlimited BB and free wireless hotspot via rooted phone).

rollee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rollee

I have never had any problems buying anything refurbished. I have bought two of these Roku 3s, and each of them was refurbished. Today's deal is one of those deals that you should just jump on, because it is a great deal for a Roku 3.

daemonfly wrote:My Roku 3 has been great, but the main question should be "How good are the Roku Refurbs?" Do they have QC issues? Are they reliable?

For example, in my experience: Samsung refurbs - never again, ugh, 0/3 there.

71firebird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 71firebird

The Roku 3 is awesome. Get it now!

dbhamilton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbhamilton
kurtois wrote:Is anyone using their Roku with a SimpleTV? How is it working out?

I have been using this combo to rec/watch the Olympics and it works fantasic! *****

royalpet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages royalpet
nyisless13 wrote:Speaking of Plex, the official Plex app for Roku requires payment, but for reasons I'm not entirely sure of, there's an app known as RARflix which is free and seems to be a slightly modified Plex app. Go to the RARflix page for more info:

http://www.rarflix.com/

Plex charges a very small fee for a year of service. Well worth the money. Flawless streaming of video from computer to Roku. Plex will also convert video on the fly to what ever video quality you want

AVspec

quality posts: 6 Private Messages AVspec

I am still using the Roku XD I purchased from woot over 2 years ago. What would I gain by upgrading to the Roku 3? I already have a Chromecast that I use for my Netflix as all my other devices seem to have more compression and buffering issues with Netflix so the only thing I use my Roku XD is for HBOGO as it seems to work better on the Roku then the Chromecast. So is there really any reason I should upgrade my Roku if it is working fine?

http://www.woot.com/offers/roku-xd-1080p-streaming-player

cindyharveyneal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cindyharveyneal
murphdogrrr wrote:HOW MUCH ARE THE MONTHLY SERVICES?

There are no monthly charges for the Roku. you can get many channels free. I currently have about 20 free channels added, and pay $8.95 a month each for my Netflex and Hulu Plus accounts. Then there are movie channels like VUDU that just charge by the movie, comparable to TV Pay-per-View.

numb1prncss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages numb1prncss

Got one of these in January from Woot. Came in great condition & works great. Haven't had one issue with it. You do have to pay for services like NetFlix, but it has been super fun watching shows and movies we had never heard of before. Makes it very easy.

jeph4e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeph4e

1) Bought mine last time was here and the refurb worked great. Very nice.

2) Playing media files is a PITA. Don't bother. Netflix great. A&E Great. Have to use USB. Kept Apple TV for this.

3) The micro sd is only for apps not for movies...

4) I got a cheap HDMI monitor and this is my entertainment for the dreadmill.

hmadrid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmadrid

I ordered one the last time they offered these and the remote control didn't work. These are refurbished with NO support or warrantee so buy at your own risk.

Wholesaleforless

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wholesaleforless

I was at Sam's Club this Saturday evening talking to a manager.

She said she thought that Sam's Club no longer carried these because so many TV's are "smart" these days and have these capabilities built in.

My TV is about 6-7 years old and doesn't, but my TiVo does.

LittleBird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleBird

Love my Roku 3. Didn't think the earphones in the remote would be a big deal, but they came in handy right away. Husband can practice his guitar while I watch Being Human and neither of us have to be subjected to the other's stuff.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hi all. I see a couple comments from people that received Rokus that had problems. Our customer service will refer you to the manufacturer (per our FAQ) because they will have the parts to replace non-functioning items. We don't carry those parts.

However, if you aren't getting the help you need from Roku, contact our customer service and explain what you've tried. Include your woot username and order number for faster service.

We were behind in answering CS requests for a while there. We apologize to those of you that encountered this delay. Good news is that CS is now caught up. Response time is back to our usual 24-48 hours.

We've sold thousands of Rokus and only a few have had issues. Most are working just dandy. Apologies to those of you that are having problems with your Roku.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just gonna put this here so you can come back to it later.....

If the remote doesn't work out of the box, it's because it needs to be paired with the Roku. Here are the instructions.

How to pair your Roku player with the Enhanced remote:
• Open the battery compartment and carefully insert the provided batteries into the slots, following the correct battery orientations (Note: the front LEDs on the remote will flash indicating it is ready to pair to your Roku player)
• Power up the Roku player by connecting the provided power adapter to the Roku player and to an available wall outlet.
• Turn on your TV and select the correct TV input
• Note that during the startup process, the Roku enhanced remote will automatically pair to your Roku player (the front LEDs will stop flashing)

If the Enhanced remote does not pair to the Roku player, please use the following directions:
• Open the battery compartment and locate the pairing button found inside the battery compartment
• Simultaneously hold down both the A and B game buttons (on front side) while pressing and holding down the pairing button for 3 seconds. (front LED will blink)
• Remove and reinsert the batteries, following the correct battery orientations (Note: the front LEDs on the remote will flash indicating it is ready to pair to your Roku player)
• Power up the Roku player by connecting the provided power adapter to the Roku player and to an available wall outlet
• Turn on your TV and select the correct TV input
• Note that during the startup process, the Roku enhanced remote will automatically pair to your Roku player (the front LEDs will stop flashing)

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

wizwor

FYI, Roku support says just the opposite: Try to resolve your problem with the seller. If the seller is not responsive, contact Roku. FWIW, I had a problem with a Roku 2 XS remote. After a couple minutes of troubleshooting, Roku sent me a new remote.

ThunderThighs wrote:

Hi all. I see a couple comments from people that received Rokus that had problems. Our customer service will refer you to the manufacturer (per our FAQ) because they will have the parts to replace non-functioning items. We don't carry those parts.

However, if you aren't getting the help you need from Roku, contact our customer service and explain what you've tried. Include your woot username and order number for faster service.

We were behind in answering CS requests for a while there. We apologize to those of you that encountered this delay. Good news is that CS is now caught up. Response time is back to our usual 24-48 hours.

We've sold thousands of Rokus and only a few have had issues. Most are working just dandy. Apologies to those of you that are having problems with your Roku.

ginabarrett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ginabarrett

I bought this last time it was on. I was so excited. But I cannot get it to connect to our Internet. It gets part way through the connection and then says it can't connect. So it's worthless to me. I have tried restarting our wireless, I can still receive the signal on my laptop and phone. Just not this. Actually, it gets the signal. Just can't log in to use it.

zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt

Lot's of people talking plex, you get get plexpass which gives you access to chromecasting and use plex with chromecast.

I ruined my signature with poor cut and paste skills

urbsnspices

quality posts: 7 Private Messages urbsnspices

I dont doubt that the Roku3 is great.....right now.

However with a little research you will find many many people having streaming issues with Roku+netflix on older Roku's. They started out great as well.

I get 25MB/s service and even when plugged right into the cable modem, it will not stream in a watchable video quality. It is not the ISP, but it has been established in the community that this is a Roku+netflix problem.

Roku's solution is that you purchase a Gen3. No thanks, I already own 3 old ones.

I was a huge proponent of Roku but now I can only say buyer beware. Treat it as a 3 year disposable device. And for 30 bucks a year, it is probably still a good buy. FWIW, they all still work like a champ with HD youtube just soured on the product when it comes to netflix.

harihuss

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harihuss

I have refurb roku3 and will say it is a great streaming box, faster than my other roku's and a pleasure to use.

You should note one significant downside. The remote on this model uses wifi connect and will transmit on the same channel as your nearest wifi router/access point and decrease signal strength. Most people don't notice or care but to some it is significant. Google "roku 3 wifi interference" for full info.

I've been happy using plex to stream content from my pc to to tv via roku. Music, Photos and video have all been good with plex media server on my wired pc and the plex app on my wireless rokus.

SpacemanSpif

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpacemanSpif
AVspec wrote:I am still using the Roku XD I purchased from woot over 2 years ago. What would I gain by upgrading to the Roku 3? I already have a Chromecast that I use for my Netflix as all my other devices seem to have more compression and buffering issues with Netflix so the only thing I use my Roku XD is for HBOGO as it seems to work better on the Roku then the Chromecast. So is there really any reason I should upgrade my Roku if it is working fine?

http://www.woot.com/offers/roku-xd-1080p-streaming-player

I'm on a Roku XD as well. I'm hoping a newer unit will load apps faster, and have a better Hulu app (current one is slow and unresponsive at times).

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

Will I be able to get 5.1 surround audio with this Roku? Will I need to connect to my AV receiver?

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

rampo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rampo

Recently a Slingplayer for Roku app has become available and works with the newer Slingbox models (i.e., Slingbox SOLO and above). The caveat is that you need an iPhone or Android phone with the $14.99 Slingplayer app for those phones and use that to "sling" the signal to the Roku, similar to the way the Chromecast works. (NOTE: The Slingplayer app for tablets including the iPad does not appear to work. It needs to be the phone app.) Not nearly as simple as the Slingplayer app on media devices like the WD Live and WD Play, but an adequate workaround if you already have those phones and the Slingplayer apps for them.
http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000582.html

As for using the Plex or RARflix apps to play media files, I use these ALL the time to watch videos stored on my network. Love them!