Castille360

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Castille360
DrChops wrote:It's always nice when you find a computer that you feel like you got your money's worth out of .

HP Really does have a (well earned) reputation for being horrible though. Part of that is their bad customer service too.

It's a pretty widely shared sentiment :D..
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=HP+Sucks

Not that I'm going to vigourously defend HP's customer service - I've heard too many stories, lol. But don't you think that notoriety comes from having more PCs out there in use than any of the other companies, rather than those companies actually offering a superior customer service experience? With Lenovo's recent gains, I bet we'll see a matching gains in online griping about them as well.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
candreae wrote:You and every other DV-7 owner who didn't bother to research the line's reliability problems, which began almost immediately.

That's basically nonsense. You can find reliability problems or "sucks" posts about every single model and product line in existence, including Apple products.
The companies that sell the most PCs, especially if they sell a lot of value-priced ones (like Dell and HP), will naturally have a larger total number of dissatisfied customers who bought on price alone and then were surprised when their computer isn't quite as slick as the 4x as expensive models.

Also, a huge portion of the historical reliability problems with laptops in general were actually the result of faulty Nvidia chips, which also affected every other manufacturer at the time and has long since been resolved. Although, you do still see a post popping up here and there about it even in recent years, for example:
http://www.techspot.com/news/48272-macbook-pro-owner-beats-apple-in-court-over-faulty-8600m-gt.html

A lot of the other complaints in poor reviews seem to be by people who failed to take the extra 15 minutes to figure out how to get used to Windows 8 and blamed the PC manufacturer instead of Microsoft for the different user interface.

kmartind

candreae wrote:Vista got a bad rap, it's rather interesting to put it on a modern computer and see how stable it is, now that drivers are readily available. The two problems that killed it were the resources it required not being inexpensive at the time, so the average buyer had a terrible experience and a complete failure on the part of hardware manufacturers to get on board and provide drivers...which are abundant today.

Vista actually was crap prior to SP1. I had an early Vista PC that was well-spec'd and had all the drivers, but the OS, just plain sucked. It would sometimes take a minute or two to simply do a copy of a small file, and it would also blue screen for no particular reason (admittedly that part might have been a buggy Vista graphics driver from Nvidia).
After SP1 and some subsequent updates finally came out, Vista actually became usable and relatively stable, and with SP2 even a bit better, though it never fully attained the performance and efficiency of Windows 7.

Windows 8 on the other hand, and especially 8.1 is pretty stable and performs well (as good or better than Windows 7 in most cases). It's mainly just the split-brained user interface that confuses folks who haven't taken some extra time to get the hang of it (nor to just load a start menu replacement like Start8, StartIsBack, or Classic Shell to work around it).

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

So hi there. How's your Sunday going? Just wondering if you noticed that we have a laptop for sale that doesn't come with Vista or Windows 7. Thought you might want to talk about this laptop in this laptop's discussion thread. You know... for a change of topic.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

codejoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages codejoy

thanks it does help.
though yah my dad got bit by hp laptop quality..and so reading these other threads seems like they are still not any better.

candreae wrote:Well, this depends completely on the kinds of games you play. If you're a FPS type and don't need DX11 quite yet, stick with what you have as the dedicated graphics you have are more powerful than the HD4600 Intel chip on this machine. Obviously if you want to play DX11 games you need to step up from the 330, and this wouldn't be a bad choice. Finally if you're an online MMO kind of guy (this is expecially true for Warcraft) I would pick this machine up in a heartbeat as it (and games like it) tend to be more processor intensive and will benefit from more cores at a higher clock speed. Effectively, the more modern the game, the more benefit you will find with the integrated graphics on the Haswell i7. Be sure to stock this notebook with DDR3 1600 RAM (which it comes with) as it also serves as your video memory. Additionally this machine is capable of a higher resolution than your current computer, something you may need to tone down for gaming but you will greatly appreciate for other activities. Hope this helps.

MarkJohn16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MarkJohn16

Any warranty for this laptop?

ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkJohn16 wrote:Any warranty for this laptop?

You bet. It's at the bottom of the features:

Warranty: 90 Day HP

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pjmccli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjmccli
candreae wrote:If you don't know how to make windows 8.1 look and feel like windows 7, but with better performance then I object to your summary of the operating system as 'fail.' 8 has some great features and you can lose the metro interface easily. The majority of people who have a visceral reaction to windows 8 haven't even bothered to use it for any signifigant amount of time and are just parroting what they read online.

I Have HP windows 7 on this unit running just fine... you just have to know what your doing and look in the right place for the drivers.. the tricky one was that you had to use the VISTA 64 bit version for one of the drivers.

themacguy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages themacguy
kmartind wrote:Probably no drivers for Windows for Workgroups 3.11 either :-/
People really just need to load Start8 or StartIsBack or Classic Shell and get over it EDIT: (Or actually just get used to Windows 8.1, it's noticeably better than 8.0). Windows 8 is not crappy under the hood like Vista was, it's mostly just a new user interface over the top that a lot of folks dislike.

Actually in many (possibly most) cases loading Win 7 will work fine even if not officially supported by the manufacturer. Forum postings can usually confirm whether that's the case or not for a specific model, and whether or not there are any components that won't function properly, but really Win 8.1 is just fine for most people, especially when you have a Touch Screen.
After loading one of the above programs and/or tweaking a couple things you can mostly ignore the Metro interface and use it just about as though it were Win 7 for the most part if desired, but with optimizations and updates (faster boot time, possibly a tiny bit better overall performance, more automated drivers, etc).

On a side note, one of the MS designers commented recently on why they did what they did. I'm not sure I fully buy into it, but at least it seems to make a LITTLE bit more sense now:

http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/microsoft-designer-reddit-windows-8-decisions/

I'm not convinced enough to actually buy a Windows 8.1 upgrade for a system that already has Windows 7, but if it comes with 8, I won't bother trying to roll it back to 7.

Also it looks like this Woot ships with Windows 8.0, but 8.1 is a free downloadable upgrade. There are lots of videos with tips on how to get used to Windows 8 and get things done quickly. For example:

...or you can just use a Win7 machine and get your work done instead of working to get to the point where you can get your work done.

Win8 is awful. While whatever they put under the user interface may be okay, I work with the UI so if it's an ugly, confusing collection of carnival barkers all screaming at me though their tiles, I'll pass.

When I've bought other Win8 machines (here) that had Win7 drivers available for them (and not some sort of "maybe this hack will work..."), I've been pleased (because the machines actually run a lot faster under Win7 than Win8).

StartIsBack is, however, a decent hack if you can handle the rest of what Win8 foists off on you.

Woot Tang Clan

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Woot Tang Clan
codejoy wrote:I am curious if anyone could tell me if this would be a good upgrade to my current "gaming" laptop:

Samsung
4gb
64 bit win 7
Intel i5 M 430@2.27 ghz
nvidia GT330m
500GB hd

Advise?

Gaming laptops always need a discrete graphics card which this does not. However the Intel HD 4600 is faster than your GT330M. If you want to upgrade you would be better off doing a higher jump. However with this price, you can't lose, it is very cheap. I own a few high end gaming laptops and unless you want the best, I think this will do just fine.

kmartind

themacguy wrote:...or you can just use a Win7 machine and get your work done instead of working to get to the point where you can get your work done.

By that logic nobody should ever use anything besides Windows; they all have a learning curve for a current Windows XP/Vista/7 user. It's really not that difficult once you figure out about 3-4 new concepts.

Win8 is awful. While whatever they put under the user interface may be okay, I work with the UI so if it's an ugly, confusing collection of carnival barkers all screaming at me though their tiles, I'll pass.

Metro is very usable on a touch screen, especially for phone/tablet style apps. It's not really any worse than Android or iOS, but also not as elegant as webOS used to be before HP killed it off. It's rather out of place on a desktop PC though, and even worse on a server OS (what the heck were they thinking there!?). In my opinion their single stupidest UI decision was to have basically zero visual UI cues. If walking up to a Windows 8 system for the first time, a user would have no clue how to do something as seemingly simple as shut down the system. So yes, it's kind of annoying initially, but it takes only seconds to learn a couple gestures and a short adjustment period to get used to them and then you're fine. Or you can load a program to get the Windows 7 look.

I've been pleased (because the machines actually run a lot faster under Win7 than Win8).

Both personal experience and just about every test I've ever seen have shown Windows 8 performing as well or better (in a few cases, like boot time, a lot better) than Windows 7.
One exception I can think of might be if running Windows 7 with zero antivirus/security software loaded at all, versus Windows 8 with no add-on security software (since it basically has MS Security Essentials embedded in it by default and that can have some performance impact). That's not really a fair comparison though.

Doldham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Doldham

I love the computer but the packing was horrible. The Computer in its original box was placed in a much larger shipping box with just a small amount of brown packing paper tossed in. The volume of the packing box was 5 times the volume of the computer box. The result was the computer banged around inside the shipping box in transit. The inside of the shipping box actually incurred damage. I guess "no harm no foul" applies since the compter suffered no apparent damage. Since Woot is now owned by Amazon, it is shocking that their packaging is so poor. Amazon does amazingly well with their packaging IMO.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Doldham wrote:I love the computer but the packing was horrible. The Computer in its original box was placed in a much larger shipping box with just a small amount of brown packing paper tossed in. The volume of the packing box was 5 times the volume of the computer box. The result was the computer banged around inside the shipping box in transit. The inside of the shipping box actually incurred damage. I guess "no harm no foul" applies since the compter suffered no apparent damage. Since Woot is now owned by Amazon, it is shocking that their packaging is so poor. Amazon does amazingly well with their packaging IMO.

Sorry for the problems with the packing but glad every thing is ok. I will let the buyer know so he can pass on the information to our vendor.