gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
bluemaple wrote:@gak0090, agreed, the Tab 3 - 7 screen rez is not wonderful, but it works fine the way we use it. Alternatives are a good thing - but after a closer look at the Nook, it could have full 1920x1080 resolution and still fail for us.

1) Nook has no cameras. Tab 3 has front and back cameras. We Skype (China mention above). We also use the back camera as a document grabber for other apps.

2) Nook looks a bit clunky. It is over 0.60 inches wider (5 in vs 4.37 in). The Tab 3 is a nice clean, thin design.

3) Nook has only an Accelerometer vs. Tab 3 Accelerometer + GPS + IR.

4) Not so sure what the manufacturer Android version update chances are for the Nook, but Samsung has announced KitKat 4.4 for the Tab 3's.

Yeah - no GPS,IR or camera-if you need those things, Nook is definitely out. But these Nook HD are really sturdy, perform well and have great battery life. They have great reviews- you don't have to take my word. I bought the Samsung Note 8"- I have nothing against samsung- I love that tablet. But a 7" tablet with 1024 x 600 by today's standards is pushing it.
woot has the 2012 version of Nexus 7 for $120- it only has a front facing cam on it (not rear camera)- this is a great tablet also

patrice2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages patrice2

I bought the Tab3 7inch in January new for $129...I am STILL waiting for the upgrade from jelly Bean 4.1.2 to at least 4.4.2 (which the 10 inch has), and without that the 32gig sd card is useless to me--there is no way to move apps to the external sd card (without rooting). I am on the phone with Samsung (again) right now as I type and they are saying NONE of the Tab3 line will get KitKat, never mind what the media reported they said in February...and I don't think I'm gonna get the later Jelly Bean for the 7 inch either.

If you like to root things or you only use the external SD for videos/media, then these are fine.

xterra11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xterra11
HughHemington wrote:Dual-core is dead.

You need quad, and graphics hardware to keep up today.

I agree Dual-core is dead.

patrice2

Rooting a device voids the manufacturer's warranty, but Square Trade told me that it will not void my 3 yr with accidental (you can't get that with a refurb, though)...so if the device bricked on me they would deal with it.

danbfas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danbfas
Sbahr1 wrote:Samsung Galaxy's are crap! If you let the battery go dead they will no longer work! Google this issue. I found this out after taking a vacation and coming home to a black screen and unable to turn on. I have opened the case and restarted the battery to no avail. Will take sending it back to the factory which I guess is why they are now being offered as reconditioned. Love Woot. Hate the Galaxy!

Have had a galaxy tab 10.1 for over a year and a half. Battery has discharged fully many times, always back on with a charge. Not sure what you're talking about.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
patrice2 wrote:I bought the Tab3 7inch in January new for $129...I am STILL waiting for the upgrade from jelly Bean 4.1.2 to at least 4.4.2 (which the 10 inch has), and without that the 32gig sd card is useless to me--there is no way to move apps to the external sd card (without rooting). I am on the phone with Samsung (again) right now as I type and they are saying NONE of the Tab3 line will get KitKat, never mind what the media reported they said in February...and I don't think I'm gonna get the later Jelly Bean for the 7 inch either.

If you like to root things or you only use the external SD for videos/media, then these are fine.

@patrice2,
The following is not "what the media reported they said in February" - it is what Samsung themselves said:

Samsung Press Release - KitKat for Tab 3

ejeon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejeon
patrice2 wrote:I bought the Tab3 7inch in January new for $129...I am STILL waiting for the upgrade from jelly Bean 4.1.2 to at least 4.4.2 (which the 10 inch has), and without that the 32gig sd card is useless to me--there is no way to move apps to the external sd card (without rooting). I am on the phone with Samsung (again) right now as I type and they are saying NONE of the Tab3 line will get KitKat, never mind what the media reported they said in February...and I don't think I'm gonna get the later Jelly Bean for the 7 inch either.

I'm no hardcore techie or anything, but rooting is basically the first thing I do whenever I buy a phone or tablet. There are just so many benefits... I don't know why anyone wouldn't be willing to spend 20 minutes figuring out how to do it.

ejeon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejeon
Sbahr1 wrote:Samsung Galaxy's are crap! If you let the battery go dead they will no longer work! Google this issue. I found this out after taking a vacation and coming home to a black screen and unable to turn on. I have opened the case and restarted the battery to no avail. Will take sending it back to the factory which I guess is why they are now being offered as reconditioned. Love Woot. Hate the Galaxy!

Sounds like you broke your charger cable. Go buy a new one and be more careful next time.

bolasdeferro

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bolasdeferro
clanecks wrote:I hope no one is considering this or any other tablet for a toddler. Playing with tablets instead of real toys greatly hinder their development of spatial awareness and shorten their attention span. These are not babysitters or pacifiers. Don't be lazy parents. Your kids deserve better parenting.

True story. I second that fact, and I don't even have kids... but based on my friend's kids, who are completely glued to their tablets and electronics, I'd say there's an issue that deserves attention.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

8" is $174.99 including delivery from reputable seller on Ebay. 455 sold there as of now with 3 days before it ends. No need to rush and if you include tax price is about equal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-3-8-0-16GB-Wi-Fi-Tablet/191052601686?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2c7b9f5956

Also,if you want 4G TMobile deal is here.

NEW Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" WiFi + 4G 16GB Tablet $192

http://www.t-mobile.com/internet-devices/samsung-galaxy-tab-3.html?AID=11031750&PID=552179

Sbahr1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sbahr1
johnt007871 wrote:Could you be more specific? Samsung Galaxy applies to like 40 products if not more. My Samsung Galaxy S Captivate , like 4 years old, is still stock and runs great and I'm really impressed how well the single core cpu and 512mb ram keep up with the overdone apps these days.
However, if you found a particular product that isn't up to snuff, it would be nice of you to share it with us.

This issue is with the 7" GalaxyTab 3. There are multiple posts about them going dead and not being able to turn on. You can not let the battery drain to zero on these.

Sbahr1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sbahr1
ejeon wrote:Sounds like you broke your charger cable. Go buy a new one and be more careful next time.

Not the cable. I have tried three different ones. The unit was only two months old and I used it only a few times. I left it on by accident and went out of town came home it was dead and won't take a charge. Many others have complained of the same thing happening.

patrice2

ejeon wrote:I'm no hardcore techie or anything, but rooting is basically the first thing I do whenever I buy a phone or tablet. There are just so many benefits... I don't know why anyone wouldn't be willing to spend 20 minutes figuring out how to do it.

I spent days, actually, in January trying to find a root file for the 7 inch to no avail...one became available in later February. The 10.1 and 8 inch receive a lot more tech attention from Samsung and from elsewhere han the poor lil 7 inch (that is the right size for my hands). An upgrade, or a root kit, for one size is not suitable for the others as their hardware is different, so their OS must be tweaked. I have been waiting for a root kit for the 7 inch that got more than one review of "it worked" followed by 8 "my device keeps turning itself off."

Today Samsung support told me that JB 4.2.2 was available through Kies; I made them stay on the phone with me until I downloaded Kies and then they changed their story and said it was NOT available yet because it was causing the 7 inch to brick and needed more work...and KitKat would come to all Tab 3 devices "maybe by March"...I told them we were at the end of March and they needed to update their customer service script.

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

I meant hardware acceleration for graphics. And a good media player app will use the quad core, without which your 720p media will skip and jerk.

It's pretty common to find quad-core on refurb'd tabs in this price range, so why buy less?

But knock yourself out, if this seems like a value.

patrice2

bluemaple wrote:@patrice2,
The following is not "what the media reported they said in February" - it is what Samsung themselves said:

Samsung Press Release - KitKat for Tab 3

Yes, I know. That was Feb 18, and still no progress. And in the last week there is buzz that a couple of phones on the list from Feb have been dropped...and KitKat upgrade rolled out to a couple devices is causing black screens and other issues and might be dropped before it is fixed.

Also, KitKat seems to have the same issue on Samsung devices that Jelly Bean 4.1 has with not allowing apps to write to external storage--this must be what the first tech support guy at Samsung was talking about today when he said to get a special sd card to fix my JB 4.1 problem--but it is only for KitKat, involves rooting, and voids the warranty. http://gs4.wonderhowto.com/how-to/bypass-sd-card-restrictions-android-4-4-kitkat-your-galaxy-s4-0152036/

patrice2

A new 7" is 149 at Amazon. I wouldn't get a refurb because you can't get a 3 yr extended warranty--and when they battery bites it you need to solder in a new one. On my Galaxy Player I needed a new battery at 11 months, and Samsung dragged their heels until it was a year and they were off the hook--but Squaretrade put in the $50 battery (which paid for the warranty) and had it back to me in 8 days.

mikeeyram

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikeeyram
bluemaple wrote:@mikeeyram, wow, less than $100? Great price - where was it? We watched pretty closely for Tab 3 7 inchers around the holidays and the best we found was $129 new, delivered.

Tigerdirect.com had them, December 2nd I think is when I got it. Got like $30 off instantly, then a $30 rebate, then Samsung messed up so instead of a $10 google play credit I got a $20 one. Then 5% back from discovery.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
mikeeyram wrote:Tigerdirect.com had them, December 2nd I think is when I got it. Got like $30 off instantly, then a $30 rebate, then Samsung messed up so instead of a $10 google play credit I got a $20 one. Then 5% back from discovery.

@mikeeyram, interesting, that Tiger Direct deal is the same one where we paid $129.99 after Tiger rebate. Didn't notice/recall a Google Play offer but that would have exactly zero value to us since we don't pay for anything on Play. And the Discover % rebate would apply from any similar vendor. So $129.99.

BTW, not that it helps folks who don't have one nearby, but Micro Center has been selling the Tab 3 7 inch for $139.99, new, for several weeks... In store only.

tanaise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanaise

Posting on the off chance that anyone else who wooted this woot stops by for the same s, I got the 8 inch, it's lovely, was easy to use for the first 2 hours, after which it stopped actually connecting to my wifi. I'm attempting to convince Samsung that it's their responsibility to fix it, but I don't have much hope for it. This seems to be a fairly common problem with these tablets (and possibly why it was refurbished to start with), so I figured there was a chance others would wander by looking for help. Sadly, I don't think there is any.

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

The problem with rooting and custom ROMs is figuring out which one to use. There are so many awesome ones. I rooted android onto a HP Touchpad every which way for months -- not just 20 minutes. I even bricked it for a couple weeks until I found some Ubuntu utilities to bring it back to life and installed Jellybean. I gave it away and now live with stock Kitkat on a Nexus 7. 20 minutes my ___.

patrice2 wrote:I spent days, actually, in January trying to find a root file for the 7 inch to no avail...one became available in later February. The 10.1 and 8 inch receive a lot more tech attention from Samsung and from elsewhere han the poor lil 7 inch (that is the right size for my hands). An upgrade, or a root kit, for one size is not suitable for the others as their hardware is different, so their OS must be tweaked. I have been waiting for a root kit for the 7 inch that got more than one review of "it worked" followed by 8 "my device keeps turning itself off."

Today Samsung support told me that JB 4.2.2 was available through Kies; I made them stay on the phone with me until I downloaded Kies and then they changed their story and said it was NOT available yet because it was causing the 7 inch to brick and needed more work...and KitKat would come to all Tab 3 devices "maybe by March"...I told them we were at the end of March and they needed to update their customer service script.