jhollifield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhollifield
Boredmaster wrote:When are they going to offer shoes or boots in real men sizes? Only up to a 14? chucker. Wake me when you have an 18.

chucker?

digitalis303

quality posts: 5 Private Messages digitalis303
nrm7t3 wrote:would it work to spray these with one of those water repellent aerosols?

My guess is "somewhat". It will certainly allow water to bead up and roll of on the fabric, but depending on the construction of the tongue and the zipper, I'd say if you dunk your foot, water is coming in. You'd need pleated material behind the zipper and a tongue stitched in at the sides to stay dry in even partial submersion....

VanBreezy wrote:Well, mass and weight are different :P

Well, to be fair, if there is zero mass, there would also be zero weight, no?

newfiepage

quality posts: 43 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

flowerchild59 wrote:I am looking for a boot in smaller sizes too. Wish woot would offer them.

Smaller than 4?

spummerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spummerr

Read the ad. Says fits true to size

rasco wrote:How do the sizes run? Thanks

newfiepage

quality posts: 43 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

Boredmaster wrote:When are they going to offer shoes or boots in real men sizes? Only up to a 14? chucker. Wake me when you have an 18.

18?! Impressive. I always buy as big as I'm offered, so if I ever see 18s, I can assure you I'll buy 'em.

lethargicmass

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lethargicmass
slcarter wrote:I wonder how well they'd work for motorcycle boots.

Waterproof, for riding in the rain? No.
Insulated, for riding in the cold? No.
Non-slip soles, for putting one's foot down when stopped? Yes.

I'd say they'll be fine if you're a (let's be polite) casual rider.

I love bacon!

lethargicmass

ikickedagirl wrote:They look more "Avengers" than punk to me.

Neo-nazï skinhead <> Punk rocker. (Don't make me go get Ian McKay!)

I love bacon!

lethargicmass

Only outside Earth gravity.

I love bacon!

bcarr123

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bcarr123

I have worn Bates tactical boots for years! Super comfortable, good quality and these are a good price. If I needed a new pair, I would buy them now!

schep999

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schep999

You are quite correct. I should have more properly asked how much force does a zero mass boot apply to a scale on the surface of the earth.

Should I decide to make this purchase, it is highly unlikely I would use them anywhere other than this planet, so the easier calculation is what is commonly thought of as weight.

But I do thank you for correcting my ubiquitous question. They look like an OK deal, I hope they fit me.

z28gal1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages z28gal1
shneurgarb wrote:Is the boot waterproof? I would use this for the Snow shoveling. I have Gout and super wide feet. Using my regular Boots Lace up kills my feet.

Hope it is.

I was wondering about them being waterproof also, if they arent, I think I will spray them with that stuff that repels water..

omoomo

quality posts: 16 Private Messages omoomo

In addition to the Military, Bates also sells to law enforcement.

These are on the low end of their product line...but I've worn Bates for years and while they are expensive, you get what you pay for in my experience.

While I have no experience with this particular model, I can't recommend Bates enough for quality, workmanship and customer service.

sounddude

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sounddude

Tempted to get these. I wore Hi-Techs during my 9 years working with law enforcement. I found that you do need steel-toes and water-proof. The insulated boots get hot in the summer in the south or southwest. I preferred to just wear insulated socks and that worked fine. But if you are going to use them as work boots, you need the steel-toes. And for hiking or work in or near wet areas, you do need the water-proof boots, which have a sewed in inner water-proof pleaded lining. Still a great deal!

daramis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daramis

BAD BUY! If you actually need these for tactical work they last for a maximum of 2 months. We bought the MUCH higher end model bates boots for my husband, whose in law enforcement and they completely fell apart after 2 months, soles fell off and also caused him incredibly bad foot pain probably since they had to be cobbled back together with super glue and duct tape. Bottom line not good for every day work use might be ok if you wear them only occasionally or if you're a lazy cop who mostly sits.

jonnycando

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonnycando

As far as motorcycle boots and Bates goes, they do make some to their credit. Insulated, waterproofed, steel toes, whatever you require or fancy. None of those funky crotch rocket racer boots though.

kggoodman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kggoodman
rootatlocalhost wrote:The other boot place (edit: if you wear combat boots, you should know) has $300 batesesses for $40, but they're no goretex, no waterproof. I'll wait for a sale on w/p 5.11s.

Any hints about what "the other place" is?

davidbowser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidbowser

These are boots, not boats.

shadowfist

quality posts: 8 Private Messages shadowfist

this was my thought exactly.

TheRaven65

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheRaven65

They'd obviously be better than flip-flops or running shoes, but motorcycle-specific boots are a much better choice - as they usually have armor in the places you need it, are better designed to keep rain out, and don't have laces - which can potentially become untied and cause big problems for you. I'd spend a little more and get the right tool for the job.

satch69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages satch69

Runs large, according to the mothership

edited link:
http://www.amazon.com/Bates-Zero-Mass-Inches-Side/product-reviews/B00814U232/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

Am I a man who has just been dreaming that he was a butterfly, or a sleeping butterfly, now dreaming that he is a man?

jsull210

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jsull210
kggoodman wrote:Any hints about what "the other place" is?

http://www.lapolicegear.com/co-bates-29502-usmc-rat.html

tallguy425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tallguy425

I was thinking the same thing. I'm shopping for them now.

azndante

quality posts: 1 Private Messages azndante
jsull210 wrote:http://www.lapolicegear.com/co-bates-29502-usmc-rat.html

If you do a little bit google-ing, you will see people say there is a manufacturing defect in which the sole is coming off after 3 weeks of use. The product description acknowledge the defect, hence, the bargain price of $40. Not saying you shouldn't buy them, because nobody knows for sure what will happens.

willyone

quality posts: 28 Private Messages willyone
SelfGovern wrote:Anybody have a line on a good pair of strategical boots?

You may be interested in some of the boots shown on these pages at FIELD SUPPLY. They have a pretty good selection. Of course, they're more expensive than what's being offered here.

rw19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rw19
PurduePilot08 wrote:Great looking, and need some good boots... so I was excited but I see no mention of being WATERPROOF

This + Vibram + Gore-tex would be perfect. Pass.

EDIT: After further review of Bates' boots, they have a Vibram+Gore-tex model, for $220. If only it was at this price...

If only they were 7 league boots covered in gold! They only cost $55

atomizer

quality posts: 14 Private Messages atomizer
willyone wrote:You may be interested in some of the boots shown on these pages at FIELD SUPPLY. They have a pretty good selection. Of course, they're more expensive than what's being offered here.

He was being facetious. He asked for "strategical" as opposed to these "tactical" boots.

89 Woot-offs; 4 random craps

barryb2008

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barryb2008

I will be Wootin while I am bootin !
Great deal one these boots. Thanks WOOT !

philmills

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philmills

While they're undeniably better than flip-flops, tennis shoes or penny-loafers (I see these every day on my commute and cringe) they're still going to rank below a boot actually designed for motorcycle use.

Specifically: how deformable are they? Where they fold and squish, so will your foot/ankle/shin.

A true "motorcycle" boot should have a sole that is not only non-slip, but also crush and twist resistant. When 400lbs of motorcycle is sitting on the edge of the sole, does it retain its shape or fold like a long taco? Can you fold the sole back on itself in either direction? If so, that's bad. You do not want your foot doing that.

Also: Laces? Yes. Are they secured down? No. Then they're eventually going to end up tangled around your brake, shifter or chain no matter how conscientious of a double-knotter you are. You'd rather not have that happen.

willyone

quality posts: 28 Private Messages willyone
atomizer wrote:He was being facetious. He asked for "strategical" as opposed to these "tactical" boots.

I thought he was looking for tactical, but was just saying it wrong. You just never know. Tactical boots are often used in strategic situations so thought maybe he was just getting a little mixed up and, if that was the case, just tried to help.

rootatlocalhost

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rootatlocalhost
azndante wrote:If you do a little bit google-ing, you will see people say there is a manufacturing defect in which the sole is coming off after 3 weeks of use. The product description acknowledge the defect, hence, the bargain price of $40. Not saying you shouldn't buy them, because nobody knows for sure what will happens.

And if you go to the actual site and read the words you'll find they've run out of the defective batch.

My original point, though, was that if you wear combat boots you know where to find them and that this is an ok deal at best.

ginawoot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ginawoot

Probably too late, but I just saw these and have a serious question: since these aren't waterproof and don't have steel toes, what do they offer? Do people buy them just for the look of a boot but with the weight, feel and utility of a sneaker?

RaisinROM

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RaisinROM
Sokudoningyou wrote:I really, really don't need another pair of boots, but I have to give them props for actually having small sizes. I'm a size 7 in women's, and more often than not, I find men's boots I like that are never small enough to fit me (5-5.5).

I REALLY don't need another pair either, but I'm a boot freak. I ALSO have to give kudos for having smaller sizes, they rarely do.

and the "men's boots are usually much better quality, so THANKS Woot

Dazzle DVD, Tornado USB, No Crank Hose Reel, SCREAMING Monkey, Woot Off Lights, Solar Panel, Ion USB Turntable, Power Squid, Sansa, Slacker, Ed Hardy RC Plane, EzyFlare, iPod, hammer, tv, A N D . . . my FIRST Bag of Coal !!!!!!!!!!! After that: Little Giant ladder, large button remotes for dad, Dremel Multi-Max tool, Vornado Fan, Emerson Timer, Oliso Iron, EZY Flares, LED Safety Triangle, Dyson DC21, Screaming Monkeys, Mini CamCorder

SirGecko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SirGecko

Just FYI these aren't in uniform for the Navy. The panels on the side mean these are out of regs.

Tatts

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tatts

I have a pair of Bates (slightly different, but also with the side zipper). They are very, very comfortable--the only boots I have ever worn that are as comfortable as walking shoes.

I wear them when flying-- comfortable for all the walking, and there's no metal in them except the pull tab on the zipper, good for going through security.

I'd buy these, but I really need to try shoes on first. I normally take a wide shoe, but my boots are medium and fit just fine.

Now, if Woot just had Brooks Addiction leather walkers is a size 12, I'd be all over them.

StarKnightGoku

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StarKnightGoku

Don't forget wide, too.

azndante

quality posts: 1 Private Messages azndante
ginawoot wrote:Probably too late, but I just saw these and have a serious question: since these aren't waterproof and don't have steel toes, what do they offer? Do people buy them just for the look of a boot but with the weight, feel and utility of a sneaker?

Yup. You know how girls love shoe shopping? I admit, I might have the same symptom, except with boots.

tomcat5909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomcat5909

Ordered a pair, delivery scheduled for day after tomorrow.
Plan on wearing them for motorcycle riding in the summer, snow removal in the winter, and sexual excitement in the bedroom all year long (hopefully not alone).
Will report back.

unixrab

quality posts: 11 Private Messages unixrab

got my boots today... wow. Are these boots comfy! Great price - great product! Shipping was abnormally fast by woot standards ! Thanks woot!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

khamiam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages khamiam

I just received my order today and these are the most comfortable shoes/boots I have ever put on my feet. They are amazing.

pcmann2004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pcmann2004

I have received my shipment yesterday. I have tried them on... No go. Unfortunately a size 12 is not a size 12. I have multiple Bates® Size 12 from years ago, fit like a dream. What different about these. Please let me know what's wrong. Woots no help.