NyCShadow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NyCShadow

I own the second generation of this with the built in 1080p camera. This thing is not a toy and you should put some time into learning this before just launching it up in the air and thinking you can do it without any experience. You will either break it or lose it, I dont recall if the first gen has gps mode as the second version does. The gen 2 has an wireless adapter you can connect to with your mobile device and watch the camera live as you are flying. It also has built in GPS so if you fly it out of range it will come back to its home position (position where you turned it on and it acquired its GPS signals) Over all this is awesome to have if you have the $ to spend on it, I have had my DJI Vision 2 since it first came out in Nov 2013 and from my personal opinion I think it's worth it.

psi3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psi3000

I really want to buy this. its sounds great, connecting to android and iOS devices. However when i googled a review of it I found a bunch of DJI flyaway videos. That is the only thing making me hold off. Anyone have any real experience with these?

rtolley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtolley

Interesting article on drones and wild fires:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29711301&nid=148&fm=home_page&s_cid=toppick5

I have the cheaper parrot drone from Woot that you fly with your smart phone. It has been fun and a good starter

wootnessless

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootnessless

ditto, had to read the comments before looking at the other items.

promize wrote:Woke up this morning and said the same thing. Might be the best item I've seen Woot ever sale.

themammal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themammal

I own the second generation of this quadcopter (the Phantom 2) and it is nothing short of phenomenal. I've never flown an R/C device before and was able to successfully do so (after reading the directions) right out of the box. In my opinion, the best feature is that while flying, if you take your hands off the controls, the copter immediately hovers until it receives another command from the remote. This really reduces the "panic factor" during the first few flights. It's actually so responsive that it could conceivably be flown indoors except that the blades could REALLY REALLY hurt someone/something if things went wrong. I'm a bit of a risk taker, but I'd never try flying this thing indoors or near crowds. Overall, the specs you see online are fairly accurate in regards battery life/flight times and altitude/distance limitations. Finally, the biggest difference I can see between the Phantom and Phantom 2 would be that the Phantom 2 has a built in vibration dampener that will make the videos appear a bit more smooth.

Hope you find this useful!

themammal

skeller3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skeller3

I have the version that does not come with the camera. Instead I install my gopro in the provided gopro bracket. This quad works awesome!!! so much fun. I fly it over the ocean all the time in high winds and it works perfectly. Definitely not a toy, but very easy to master after a short time. The views you get from the crazy heights is magnificent. sidebar. also run it above my football teams practice to get birdseye views of plays - exceptionally overboard nerdy, but works awesome!!! especially with gopro, when you can replay in slow motion.

joehrule

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joehrule

Why the $5 shipping charge? Can't this thing just ship itself?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ANSWERS ON DISTANCE & GHz

The camera operates at 2.4GHz. You can view it live via Wi-Fi up to a distance of about 980 ft. It will still record beyond that distance, you just won’t be able to view it live.

The Phantom operates at 5.8GHz. You can control it up to a distance of about 1600 ft.

Hope that helps!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

joehrule wrote:Why the $5 shipping charge? Can't this thing just ship itself?

Not until at least 2015.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mikewillis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikewillis
garygary52 wrote:Does anyone know what are the major difference between the 1st and 2nd gen? The price is a huge different. Btw, I had bad experience with 1sale, they sent me a fake tracking number and refused to refund my order for 5 months..

Over the last few years I have ordered three separate times from 1Sale and there is always a problem with the shipping. They will say it takes 4-6 weeks (or something along those lines), and when I start asking about it at 5 weeks they tell me to stop worrying because they still have a week left. Then at week 7 they don't answer my emails. At week 8 they don't admit there is a problem but agree to ship a new one, which happens remarkably quickly. I admit this doesn't happen every single time, only two out of the three times I ordered from them.
Bottom line on my 1Sale experience: don't do it; the frustrations of horrible customer service and shipping delays far outweigh any sale price you may find.

Bradr19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bradr19

I bought one a month ago for $500. I love it. The only problem is I live in the Texas Panhandle and it has been too windy to fly lately. Be sure to go to Amazon and buy an extra battery. The camera is cheap, but still works. There are many ways to "Trick" this out. Just go to Utube and search for Phantom and flights.
Be sure to look for the one with Horses. You will see a guy following horses and then later the horses getting revenge.

trance728

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trance728
psi3000 wrote:I really want to buy this. its sounds great, connecting to android and iOS devices. However when i googled a review of it I found a bunch of DJI flyaway videos. That is the only thing making me hold off. Anyone have any real experience with these?

The fly aways are because turning on the GoPro wifi interferes with the controller signal, even if you just have it turned on and not connected to anything. If you want to use the GoPro to see what's going on live you have to hook it up a different way than through the WiFi to your phone.

blackbox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blackbox
trance728 wrote:The fly aways are because turning on the GoPro wifi interferes with the controller signal, even if you just have it turned on and not connected to anything. If you want to use the GoPro to see what's going on live you have to hook it up a different way than through the WiFi to your phone.

Which is why, unlike the previous model, this one puts the controller on 5.8GHz, so that shouldnt happen.

masrawy79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages masrawy79

www.bhphotovideo.com have it for the same exact price with free shipping and no tax for Californian . that's $40 cheaper than woot

psi3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psi3000

just to let everyone know, this is straight from a website stating the differences in the phantom, phantom 2 (Vision) and this FC40 model:
"With the FC40, however, the camera angle has to be set by hand before each flight – on the Vision, the camera can be tilted by remote control."

richiers

quality posts: 3 Private Messages richiers

drone and speed boats http://youtu.be/KtiDPmjde94

nashmofo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nashmofo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018648-REG/dji_cp_pt_000027_phantom_fc40.html

same thing same price??

crg5980

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crg5980

Great toy. I prefer building my own fixed wings myself. I can get a good couple miles in range with live video.

Nesher

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Nesher

Disclaimer: I have never flown this model, just the Phantom 2 Vision.

There are two basic Phantom models: the original Phantom (like the one for sale today on Woot) and the Phantom 2. Either one can be purchased with or without an integrated camera, with or without a camera mount. A camera mount that tilts the camera to keep it level when the copter tilts (which is how the copter steers itself around the sky) is called a gimbal.

The current state-of-the-art Phantom is the Phantom 2 Vision + which is a Phantom 2 with an integrated HD 1080p 30fps camera and a three-axis (3D) gimbal, MSRP $1299.

The Phantom 2 Vision has a different 1080p 30fps camera, with a 1D (tilt only) camera; since the introduction of the Vision +, I have seen the Phantom 2 Vision going for under $900 on eBay.

The FC40 for sale here has no gimbal; so whenever the copter tilts, to go forward, backwards, left, or right - the camera tilts also, so your video tilts as well. Even just hovering in place, you will see the small movements the copter makes to control/maintain its position. You cannot adjust the camera tilt in flight with the Phantom FC40; you can with the Phantom 2 Vision (Vision means it has the built in camera and 1D gimbal).

The Phantom 2 uses a proprietary battery that has its own built in charger controller/battery level meter. It allows for 25 minutes or so of flight time. It costs $159 per battery. This Phantom for sale here uses more widely available batteries, which cost anywhere from $25 to $50, and allow for up to about 15 minutes of flight time. Battery swapping is easy on both models.

The Phantom 2 has better flight control and GPS return to home features. How much better - hard for me to say but on message boards, pilots who have upgraded say they can notice the difference.

I have had no fly-aways - in fact, I routinely fly my Phantom beyond the control distance, and let it automatically return home to me. The trick here is that when the Phantom loses control, it rises to about 20 meters, then flies back to above its origin point, then descends. So you have to take off from a spot where the Phantom can ascend/descend straight up or down about 20 meters (i.e. don't start your flight under the canopy of a tree.)

Most of the message boards report that fly-aways occur when the pilot does not have the Phantom set to all the "automatic" settings, or did not calibrate the compass before flight (takes about three minutes), or had some sort of non-standard WiFi setup.

I'll watch this board today, try to answer any further questions/criticisms I can.

And yes, I am very happy with the money I spent for my Phantom! But I would consider saving up for a better model, as after you enjoy flying this one, you'll be hooked!

aliusa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages aliusa

Is the 15 min flight time a huge negative? How long does a recharge take?

I mean if I'm paying $500 I want more than 10-15 min play.

Artemus2u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Artemus2u

I live on a mountain at 7,000 feet. Does anyone know if this will fly well at altitude?

peanut squirrel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peanut squirrel

Maybe if I sell my $300 RC rock crawler...

w00t!

bcurt002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bcurt002

I think this is about what I paid for my first car, although admittedly it didn't have a camera or was able to fly. But I did drive it for about 6 years before selling it....
Between this and the Oakley watches woot is getting a little rich for my blood.

miikl1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages miikl1

I soooo want one. But have no idea why.

Signed,

Captain Impractical

iadams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iadams
miikl1 wrote:I soooo want one. But have no idea why.

Signed,

Captain Impractical

Same here. And if I were single, I would have one. If I bought one, I'd be single. Hmmm....

nashmofo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nashmofo

yep cheaper for me at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018648-REG/dji_cp_pt_000027_phantom_fc40.html

Give me a reason to buy woot, I want one!!

ktappe

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ktappe
Artemus2u wrote:I live on a mountain at 7,000 feet. Does anyone know if this will fly well at altitude?

That's a great question. I wonder if you could/should put slightly larger props on it to compensate for the thinner air?

crg5980

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crg5980
ktappe wrote:That's a great question. I wonder if you could/should put slightly larger props on it to compensate for the thinner air?

Larger props would possibly require larger motors and would most likely drain the battery faster. Not really worth it.

It should fly fine at altitude although it may drain the battery slightly faster.

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

I've had a blast with the Parrot 2 I got here a while back. It's great to be able to see and take video up over the trees and neighborhood, and look at water towers from above etc.

Now I want a "real" one that can get more than 75 feet up or 100 feet away before losing signal. The DJI is a "real" product, but this is basically generation 1, and still married to WiFi.

I'm going to pass and look into the more open platforms I can put non-WiFi FPV on. I'd like to get more like 1/2 mile range.

epictitus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages epictitus

So, does a gimbal come with this?

djslack

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djslack
ktappe wrote:That's a great question. I wonder if you could/should put slightly larger props on it to compensate for the thinner air?

Phantom 2 Vision props are slightly larger in diameter with a slightly lower pitch, do not require bigger motors and several people have reported running them on the fc40 with success. This may help.

djslack

epictitus wrote:So, does a gimbal come with this?

No gimbal. Camera goes in a gopro-style mount (several interlocking tabs held together with a thumbscrew). The camera pops into a little case that is vibration isolated, and you set your viewing angle by hand before flying.

djslack

HughHemington wrote:I've had a blast with the Parrot 2 I got here a while back. It's great to be able to see and take video up over the trees and neighborhood, and look at water towers from above etc.

Now I want a "real" one that can get more than 75 feet up or 100 feet away before losing signal. The DJI is a "real" product, but this is basically generation 1, and still married to WiFi.

I'm going to pass and look into the more open platforms I can put non-WiFi FPV on. I'd like to get more like 1/2 mile range.

The only thing wifi is the camera. Take it off, add a gopro and a 2.4ghz video link and you have realtime fpv. Just don't use 5.8ghz equipment with this - keep your control and your video links on separate bands to keep from losing control of it. Or buy a 2.4ghz quad and use 5.8ghz video links.

djslack

aliusa wrote:Is the 15 min flight time a huge negative? How long does a recharge take?

I mean if I'm paying $500 I want more than 10-15 min play.

Recharge at 2A with the included charger takes ~1hr. If you care about lipo batteries you don't want to charge them much faster than 1C (although you can get by with 2C or sometimes more) so you're looking at an hour to charge properly.

Spare batteries for this quad run $12-30 each depending on brand and vendor (I bought some from hobbyking for around $15 each). Get a few and charge them all beforehand.

nicomp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicomp

Ordering this, then I am going into competition with Amazon.

nicomp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicomp

joehrule, Stop now. You can't do any better.

bwoods77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bwoods77
ganesanchennai wrote:http://1sale.com/electronics/portable-electronics/drone-quadcopter-for-gopro/

has the same deal for less today

[MOD EDIT: 1Sale offer does NOT include camera]

Yea and get ripped off by 1 sale...They don't shipp your item for weeks. i never got my dvd players and filed fraud on paypal and they had to refund my money. also they would not answer any of my emails...

bkgoodman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bkgoodman
djslack wrote:
This video is from like my fourth or fifth flight, a few weeks ago:

From some of the trees - it appears to have been quite windy when some of this video was shot! That being said - copter appeared to do quite well!!

the.ronin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the.ronin

Oh boy. Looks like there's going to be a ton new Phantom flyers soon. Guys this is not a toy. Don't be like the braintrust in Manhattan that flew his around the city and crashed it everywhere and made the news. Understand that laws governing use is iffy at best (yes, FAA did just lose out to a kid in Federal Court). Stay below 400 ft and at least 5 miles away from any airport. If you plan to transmit video back to you then you technically need at a minimum a HAM radio license as per FCC regulation. MOST IMPORTANTLY - google "lipo battery fire" and "Naza flyaway". This is an awesome piece of kit, but understand what you are buying here. And if you still go ahead and buy, here's your new home: http://www.djiphantomforum.net/

Here's a video I made with a *heavily* modified version 1 Phantom:

RadarRon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RadarRon

If you buy it from Amazon maybe it would.