a1000wtp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages a1000wtp

Each time Woot has these things on sale I debate getting one and turn to the comments. Each time I just leave more conflicted then when I started...

lykkan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lykkan

Please note that this Roomba has a Red "CHM" or Cleaning Head Module. The red ones are known to have issues where hair can get into the gear assembly easily and ruin the CHM. The red one is no longer made. There was a black CHM that also had problems. The best CHM is the GREEN. Replacement CHM's can run about $75, so keep that in mind. You may be replacing it within 3 years of owning one of these.

iadams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iadams
tommyb134 wrote:.... Also, these things MUST be cleaned after each use (about 5 minutes work).

That is exactly what I can't quite get about these yet. You got these at a steal, but still have $225 tied up in automatic vacuums. If it takes about 5 minutes to clean each before each use, and you have 2, you spend 10 minutes cleaning them that would otherwise have been spent vacuuming.

Nobody will argue that a Roomba is better at vacuuming than a full size vacuum, even a cheap full size vac. All that said, I just don't understand these given how much care and babysitting they require. Picking up all of the mats, moving furniture, and getting things out of the way reminds me too much of cleaning before the maid shows up.

The only use I see for these at their current state is for people who have health issues that would prevent them from vacuuming. As far as a time saver, I don't think you save much. Besides all that, you still need to clean stairs and landings as well as other areas they don't reach, so you'll have a vacuum out anyway for some of the times and you may as well just vacuum the whole house while you're at it.

I bought a Hoover cordless a few months ago. It also doesn't do quite the job of a full size, but I can do the whole house in about 15 minutes (1800 sq ft) because you don't spend any time wrestling the cord, moving to another outlet, or heaving the weight of the full size.

When the robot vacs can battle hair, roam at least an entire floor without any advance prep or babysitting, empty into a bin by themselves (maybe next to the charger), and work reliably long enough to justify the price, I can't bring myself to buy.

Someone should do a side-by-side test over a month of the Roomba and the Neato vacs vs. a regular or cordless vac and see which actually uses less of your time for the same square ft. cleaned.

tigerxchaos

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tigerxchaos

I have one of these from a long-ago Woot where they were $20 cheaper.

It's a neat device and for such a small vacuum, manages to pull a surprising amount of dust and debris out of the carpet.

It *really* suffers when it comes to maintenance/cleaning, efficiency of the job it does, and the fact that you cannot schedule it without buying an expensive interface adapter of some kind.

If you buy one of these, you will need to clean it at the minimum after every time it is used. There have been times where I had to clean it midway through use. Cleaning involves flipping the device over, opening up the roller housing, dislodging hair, dirt and debris from the two rollers and all their little crevices (they are magnets for getting longer hairs wound around the brushes), and emptying the debris bin/filter compartment (which usually results in getting dust all over your hands).

You will also be doomed to still pull out the regular vacuum to get in the corners and along floorboards. Due to the design of the Roomba, it has a very small path for its brushes and it cannot clean a space of 3-4" away from walls and even more for corners. So this is not a replacement for an actual vacuum. It will also take a long time to clean rooms because of the semi-random nature of its cleaning algorithms; you'll find that it will repeatedly go over some areas while others get one pass and then never again, leaving the cleaning a bit uneven. This isn't related to any sort of "smart" behavior where it identifies more heavily-soiled patches of carpet, it's just that when it bumps into something, it wanders off in another direction and eventually it's done this so many times that it's cleaned a majority of the floor.

My 530 was a refurb sold on Woot, and a month or so after I got it, the vacuum motor died. The company sent me a replacement vacuum bin under the 90-day refurb warranty. That bin has not died yet.

In conclusion, it's a neat little device that might be good if it came with an easy way of scheduling it and if you put it in a light-traffic area. They've got a very, very long way to go though before they will ever eliminate actual vacuuming from your chores, so why bother with one?

EDIT: After going back and reading through the comments here, an alarming number of people who own Roombas have named theirs and seem proud to flaunt this fact here. If the Roomba showed some sign of intelligence in its cleaning habits, I could understand this, but it's not healthy to anthropomorphize such an unintelligent device, because you end up ascribing it qualities it doesn't have--like the ability to save a significant amount of time from your cleaning chores.

WLAURENT

quality posts: 7 Private Messages WLAURENT

As in the post above, the red brush carrier (along with the old blue and black ones) will only last a year or so before hair and other dirt gets into them and tears up the gears. The green and gray brush carriers are a much better design and you can get them for about $55-$75. Plus they come with a much better brush design that is a little easier to clean.

We have 2 roombas (a 595 pet and 550 from Costco). I replaced the brush carrier in the 550 to the new design after it started getting noisy (about 1.5 years). We have 2 Shiba Inus that shed twice a year for six months each time. The Roombas run 3 times a week and I have to clean out them about every 2-3 runs.

As far as battery health goes, you should allow them to fully discharge every month or two. I lock mine in a room without a charging dock and let them run until they stop. This usually results in a pretty big change in run time - 45-50 minutes of run time after a month or two, then 75-80 minutes after full discharge.

Our home is all tile and hardwood with some short pile runners and carpets. If I had a house full of plush carpet I probably would not be a roomba owner.

penguin9271

quality posts: 6 Private Messages penguin9271

I love my Roombas and my Scooba. They are not meant for deep cleaning, more maintenance cleaning. I have 3 cats, 1 with long hair, a clutzy significant other and very long hair. Yes, we have to clean the brushes after each use. I bought a spare set of brushes so I can swap them out and clean one set while the other is in use. It would be nice if this had a scheduling mode but I know that there are hacks that you can do to make this one schedule-friendly. Never been a problem for us, just start it when we walk out the door for work and come home to empty out the waste bin and clean the brushes. Speaking of waste bins, spring for the aerobin (or whatever the call it), it is well worth the cost. Newer models come with the bin already. Cats were initially afraid of it but now they ignore it, and sometimes one of them will even inadvertently step on the power button to start it running.

tommyb134

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tommyb134
iadams wrote:Someone should do a side-by-side test over a month of the Roomba and the Neato vacs vs. a regular or cordless vac and see which actually uses less of your time for the same square ft. cleaned.

I'm not so interested in which way takes less of my time (but Roomba is faster for me). Even if there is zero time saved, I prefer the Roomba over a manual vacuum. Roomba takes the drudgery out of a brain numbing task that I don't care to do. The little fella is fun to watch and has a nice personalty too. But for those that love to push a suck machine around the house, I will defend your right to do so!

Overall I think the satisfaction of using a Roomba type vacuum will really depend on your lifestyle or your hatred of vacuuming. It's not for everyone and some homes are not a good fit for it.

tigerxchaos wrote:{snip} After going back and reading through the comments here, an alarming number of people who own Roombas have named theirs and seem proud to flaunt this fact here. If the Roomba showed some sign of intelligence in its cleaning habits, I could understand this, but it's not healthy to anthropomorphize such an unintelligent device {snip}

Youtube videos seem to contradict that; My roombas have demonstrated as much intelligence as the typical human activity recorded in front of a camera. So Roomba deserves a name just as much as those lunkheads we watch on the tube.

tigerxchaos

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tigerxchaos
tommyb134 wrote:Youtube videos seem to contradict that; My roombas have demonstrated as much intelligence as the typical human activity recorded in front of a camera. So Roomba deserves a name just as much as those lunkheads we watch on the tube.

I don't give Youtube raspberrys names either. ;) It's just "that dumbarze who always jabbers on and on about nonsense", and then I let whoever is listening figure out which nonsensical dumbarze I'm talking about.

Dralex75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dralex75

Replacement Lithium batteries:

http://www.lithiumpowerinc.com/

Works great in my 4 year old 530.

Also, you can 'upgrade' the vac bin to the aerovac. It works _much_ better.
http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4017590

Also the Cleaning Head Module (the red thing seen from the underside int he pics) also has a few different options. Grey one is a significant upgrade from the red/green version. The Reg/Green versions have a tendency to pull hair into the gear box over time. Run it till it dies and then replace with a grey one (hopefully under warranty).

http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20644206&cp=3744764.3358508&s=A-ProductAge&parentPage=family

northcjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages northcjr

I have had a Roomba 550 I bought from Costco about 4 years ago. Same series as this. Just make sure you realize they have zero suction, just a sweeper pushing small debris and hair into a tiny bin. With daily cleaning you can make it last for a long time. No way does this replace a suction vacuum for carpets, unless you are fine with having tons of dirt left in your carpet. It is more of a daily tidy up machine. You will still need to break out the suction vacuum when you really want to clean your floors.

Jeembo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Jeembo
pdhenry wrote:Biggest problem I've had with mine is that the IR LED that's used in the wall bumper sensors goes dimmer over time and eventually the Roomba thinks it's always hitting a wall on one side or the other. Look around you'll find instructions and part numbers to replace the emitter-detector pair. Buy two and replace both of them when one side goes because you'll be replacing the other side soon after. Besides, being able to disassemble and repair your Roomba helps you feel accomplished.

Long dog hair plays havoc with the gears in the brushes but now we have a Weim and his short hair gets swept up without going into the gears.

THAT'S what went out on mine? The friggin IR LED? I basically disassembled the whole thing to try to figure out why it thought it was running into a wall and couldn't find anything wrong.

Anyway, had this exact model. It worked alright. Definitely does not replace a normal vacuum, especially for carpet. It'll get hung up on cords pretty often if you have any out. I'd never buy one again - you can get a stick vac for half the price that does twice the job.

tallguy425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tallguy425

I've had my roobma for 4 years now. No problems at all here. I do clean it out every time I use it. Plus, I don't have any pets.

dukeofwulf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dukeofwulf

Anyone have any thoughts on if the Roomba is safe for hardwood floors? I thought you're supposed to turn the beater bar off when vacuuming hardwood. Is that an option with this Roomba model?
Thanks in advance for any info!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 618 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tigerxchaos wrote:...

EDIT: After going back and reading through the comments here, an alarming number of people who own Roombas have named theirs and seem proud to flaunt this fact here. If the Roomba showed some sign of intelligence in its cleaning habits, I could understand this, but it's not healthy to anthropomorphize such an unintelligent device, because you end up ascribing it qualities it doesn't have--like the ability to save a significant amount of time from your cleaning chores.

I agree. It does indeed sound like an unhealthy habit to name inanimate objects.

Now excuse me while I go brush my teeth with Scrubby. Then I need to update Gabby the Garmin.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Bogie21

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Bogie21

After 6 years of debating if I should buy one or not I broke down and purchased one. We'll see how it goes!

Now, does anyone have tricks on how to train my cats to ride on it?

Oh it vacuums too? cool!

nancyloitz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancyloitz

I have owned several Roombas and a Neato. This is an older model that had lots of problems which newer models don't. It doesn't look like these have been retrofitted with the new parts. So stay away.

chefwiener

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chefwiener
teedo757 wrote:I also got this deal. Mine has had light use but still works fine. My biggest problem is getting the kids to pick up all their toys so the roomba doesn't suck them up and stop vacuuming.

Same! But replace kids with dog, and toys with bones.

eddieregi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eddieregi

Ours is a Woot! from March 2010. A model 540 for $174.99. Don't use it much, but it works.
We should reconsider how much we use it now that the long-haired daughters are off to college - less work cleaning the brush.

Calling it a vacuum is misleading. It's a smart carpet sweeper. But, there's a tool for every job! My wife was so happy with this tool I was able to get some real tools for me. :-)

0ldeag1e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0ldeag1e
a1000wtp wrote:Each time Woot has these things on sale I debate getting one and turn to the comments. Each time I just leave more conflicted then when I started...

I apologize for weighing in and weighing in, but if you're conflicted about getting a robot vacuum I may be able to help.

It all depends how much time or money you have to spend vacuuming.

Neither the Roomba or the Neato will quite do the job of a whole-house corners-and-stairs vacuuming with an upright, but if time is valuable to you, both robots will take at least 3/4s of your vacuum work away.

Even if you have maid service, the robots are still good because they can vacuum for you at any time. You'll get more cleaning from maid service than a robot, but if you have the maid do less vacuuming, you'll get more cleaning from maid service! And maids don't vacuum as well as robots - they're the kind of folks who'll vacuum 1700 sq ft in 15 minutes... :-)

Some people here complain about having to clean the robot's brushes; you WILL have to do that a lot if you haven't been vacuuming frequently, but unless you are an INCREDIBLE slob that will lessen after a couple cycles. I think it's fair to say you have to clean the robot's brushes about twice as often as an upright, but guess what? It's less than half as much work to do so. Even if you're all thumbs it's not going to take you 10 minutes to completely clean the robot, not even the first time.

You'll have to empty the robot's bin after every room. This takes less than two minutes, and you will find all the missing buttons, earrings, screws etc that you would have vacuumed into the upright's bag and lost forever.

Contrary to what SOME people here are saying, Roombas have impressive suction - better than a standard upright. I would say the Neato is actually more powerful, but both clean deeper than your old Hoover. The Roomba does a better job at edging, but in both cases, at some point you are going to need someone to go around with an upright.

So - looking to save money? Do your own vacuuming.
Looking to save time (or, ahem, looking for SOMEONE to vacuum the darn place for a change)? Buy a robot.

rgarnier

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rgarnier
w3kn wrote:The batteries don't have a long life, but if you look on Youtube, there are step-by-step guides on how to disassemble the battery pack and replace the cells inside. *Disclaimer: I am in no way endorsing this, it is done at your own risk!

And I was going to track you down and make you buy me a new one if it didn't work. Darn.

Now, understanding you are not expressing any fact, opinion, song, slander or whatever in any manner, have you done it and did it work for you?

pike513

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pike513

What is happening to woot??? I bough this identical robot before for $129 on woot then they raise to $139 then $149 now $189 are you kidding me guys? Woot used to be the most amazing deals now deals are average nothing special....get back to the basics

stevematlbch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stevematlbch

I have 2: A 570 that is just this week completing 6 full years of service, running nearly every day. A 530 that is 18 months newer and also run almost daily. These are actually the same identical machine. I upgraded about a year ago to the new aerovac bins and new CHM's at a cost of about $90 each, this was a huge improvement. Given the years of service and the fact that better performing stuff should be coming out over time, I do not consider this unreasonable.

Batteries: I get the least costly 3500 mah ones off ebay, by seller with 1000+ transactions and 99+ rating. Last $31 battery went 16 months. the other unit I really do not recall just how long ago I changed that. Long. My recent purchase was just $26 to the door.

Hairs etc: 3 dogs including a Siberian husky in FL - hair by the crapload. Every day I remove it from the brushes and empty the bins. Total effort for the pair of robots: Maybe 3 minutes. The new bin and brushes much improved this issue and also solved the 'hairs in the gears' problem, or so it seems.

I also have a Neato which is nothing but problems, that's a story for another day. If a Roomba dies it will get repalced with a Roomba.

My $.02.

KINGZWORLD

quality posts: 4 Private Messages KINGZWORLD

old school wooter here.. i bought my first roomba from woot.. 7 years ago.. at the time i had no kids and one great dane.. and a 1300 sq ft house.. hard wood and tile.. it worked great.. till i met my wife her three kids and had three kids of our own to make 6 kids. 2 great dane and two cats and a 3600 sqft house.. so we added one more roomba and another roomba called dirtdog for shops.. they all worked hard over the years and the babbies love playing with them.. tover time yes batteries die... brushes replaced.. parts broke.. but they all lasted about 4 to 5 years.. and today i order three new ones..

owning one does not mean you dont have to sweep or vac anymore.. just not as much... i usually deep sweep once a week.. vs having to sweep everyday at 20 min to 45 min a day it would take..

msstatecoletrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msstatecoletrain

If I didn't already have a Roomba, I would pounce at this price. I believe the Roomba is a real time saver. Yes I do have to clean it after it runs, but that time is significantly less than the time it takes to vacuum or sweep. I don't have mine running through the whole house; only through the high traffic/high dirt areas on a set schedule. It's certainly not gonna deep clean but it helps lessen the daily chores. Woot it!!

shumu16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shumu16

How often do you have to clean it out?

options01

quality posts: 2 Private Messages options01
fiktitious wrote:I have owned three of these and invariably the Roomba dance (i.e., just runs in circles) eventually occurs. Before you buy, google "Roomba dance."

same issue... not exactly circles, but it will not keep a straight line.
easier to vacuum the same room in just a few minutes rather than listen to the roomba bump into everything.. sent both of ours to the dump.

chad

ambermarie1221

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ambermarie1221

I've always wanted to have a Roomba. However, it would turn into an overpriced cat toy too quickly.

Rayzdaroof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rayzdaroof

I would love one of these!!! Are they as convenient as they look?

ToHelenBackAgain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ToHelenBackAgain

Just got this, only two days after ordering. Nice job there, Woot! Have only tried it once so far, so I hesitate to get TOO positive. (I remember when I thought my hand-held Dyson was awesome. IT IS NOT.)

But, so far, so good! The only way I can even tell it's a refurbished unit is that it's a little loud, which does not bother me. Goes right over my cotton area throws with no problem, picks up all the Santa Fe dust from the tile floor nicely, good with pet hair too. SO FAR, anyway. I'll come back if it starts to suck, not in the good way, in future.

One warning for fellow pet owners: If you thought it was sensitive enough that you could leave your pet dishes out while it ran, think again! I regret to say that I did. Results were comical.

dukeofwulf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dukeofwulf

I got mine in today. GladOS is adorable and entertaining to watch... with time, we'll see if she's an effective cleaner. But I am disappointed with something. The product specs on the item page list the following as "In the box":

iRobot Roomba 530
Virtual Wall
Self-charging Home Base
Power Supply (3 hour charge time)
Rechargeable Battery
Filter

I don't appear to have received my Virtual Wall! What's up with that, Woot? I have a fairly "open-concept" living area, so it looks like I might need it...

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

dukeofwulf wrote:I got mine in today. GladOS is adorable and entertaining to watch... with time, we'll see if she's an effective cleaner. But I am disappointed with something. The product specs on the item page list the following as "In the box":

iRobot Roomba 530
Virtual Wall
Self-charging Home Base
Power Supply (3 hour charge time)
Rechargeable Battery
Filter

I don't appear to have received my Virtual Wall! What's up with that, Woot? I have a fairly "open-concept" living area, so it looks like I might need it...

Hmm. I'm not sure why you're missing the Virtual Wall, but if you haven't yet, please email support@woot.com. Be sure to include your order details; CS can resolve this for you.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

scuac

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scuac

We received ours yesterday and after charging it overnight we let it clean our familiy room today. it did a pretty good job, went over the whole room almost three times before going back to base. One question though:

Has anyone else that bought this one on May 28 have trouble registering the product at irobot.com? We cannot get ours registered, the website complains that the serial number is invalid. Is it because it is refurbished? I have an open ticket with the folks at irobot but have not heard back yet.

EDIT: Got it sorted out by the iRobot CS. They ended up registering it manually.

joelmullins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joelmullins

Set ours up in the living room, open hardwood floor. Keep getting 'move to a new location' no matter where in the room we place or face it. Tried all the troubleshooting the user manual recommended. Any advice would be helpful before we return it, really would rather have a working iRobot..