nickdanger42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickdanger42

While I have no personal experience with this model, I have had a Onkyo SuperAudio/DVD player. It was less then satisfactory. Broke, as in died, not long after I had it, then after a 6 month or more wait it came back and lasted maybe 2 years of occasional use before it died again.
It may not have been serviced by Onkyo itself, as I purchased it through J&R back when they existed.

This space left intentionally blank.

onkyousa

quality posts: 30 Private Messages onkyousa
bclinton1 wrote:You certainly are not alone.....if you are thinking about buying Onkyo first you should google "HDMI problems with Onkyo"......it may change your mind....

As we have an active support forum which details our assistance on the receivers needing further evaluation and servicing- it also shows as public record. The accompanying customer testimonials also serve to show the customer satisfaction from our efforts to resolve our customer issues specifically (forums.onkyousa.com). Thank you bclinton1 for bringing up this as well. We really enjoy having such support and admiration from an previous Onkyo owner as yourself. On behalf of Onkyo USA, thank you for your time and attention to detail on our products.

CraigTnelson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CraigTnelson
CowBear wrote:Last time they had an Onkyo rep on this forum and he helped me get the HDMI board replaced on my old receiver for free. That kind of customer service is a rare find these days. And my receiver works like it's brand-new.

There are many people on the 'net that have had issues with HDMI boards on Onkyo receivers. You're lucky you didn't have to pay to have it fixed. From the research I've done its my opinion they should have recalled some models due to HDMI-board-cookery.

I've had to replace capacitors on my Onkyo 626 **EDIT** I meant 606. /EDIT receiver and will have to perform the same fixes to my parent's unit in the near future. BEWARE

onkyousa

nickdanger42 wrote:While I have no personal experience with this model, I have had a Onkyo SuperAudio/DVD player. It was less then satisfactory. Broke, as in died, not long after I had it, then after a 6 month or more wait it came back and lasted maybe 2 years of occasional use before it died again.
It may not have been serviced by Onkyo itself, as I purchased it through J&R back when they existed.

Hellonickdanger42; this is Onkyo USA's Product Support department and upon reading your post- we would've provided warranty assistance for your Onkyo unit. If you still have this unit- please contact us via email with the serial number and pdf copy of the sales receipt and we can see on any available options to resolve your issue promptly.

triad203

quality posts: 0 Private Messages triad203

Looks like a good price for the feature-set, but I have to pass. My last Onkyo (HT-RC360) was nice for about 20 months, but died with a POP and never made a sound again. It was out of warranty when I called, so Support was no help. So it now sits collecting dust and waits to be recycled. I eagerly await a Woot deal on another brand, so I can replace that old thing.

drakar2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drakar2007
couchie wrote:Wondering if Onkyo allows access to a Plex media server running on the network it is attached to.

If you figure this out please let me know - the only way to do any sort of DLNA audio that I've been able to figure out so far has been through windows media player, which I detest in practice as well as on principal.

stugoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stugoldstein
CraigTnelson wrote:There are many people on the 'net that have had issues with HDMI boards on Onkyo receivers. You're lucky you didn't have to pay to have it fixed. From the research I've done its my opinion they should have recalled some models due to HDMI-board-cookery.

I've had to replace capacitors on my Onkyo 626 receiver and will have to perform the same fixes to my parent's unit in the near future. BEWARE

Why would you do a self- repair on a new unit and then post it online so that you aren't covered under warranty? I have my two (don't need anymore thank you) 626s and received NO issues and these babies are on almost 18 hours a day!! I smell hogwash about the capacitors.. its those buzz words that attract those who don't know squat about electronics to think the worst. FYI- the only units known for capacitor issues was the 606- nothing on the 626 as per AVSforums. Think of it like this- when you buy this and something goes wrong- onkyo is going to help you like they helped me and some others who posted today. Sorry for the ones who didn't get help- they prob didn't ask nicely lol.

onkyousa

couch wrote:Wondering if Onkyo allows access to a Plex media server running on the network it is attached to.

Hello Couch; we here have been researching this topic and are trying to find and recommend a suitable media server that is fully functional and supported. I will inquire with my colleagues on their findings and report back to you promptly OK? We tried such mediums as iMediaLite, twonky, PlayOn, etc.

onkyousa

triad203 wrote:Looks like a good price for the feature-set, but I have to pass. My last Onkyo (HT-RC360) was nice for about 20 months, but died with a POP and never made a sound again. It was out of warranty when I called, so Support was no help. So it now sits collecting dust and waits to be recycled. I eagerly await a Woot deal on another brand, so I can replace that old thing.

Hello triad203; this is Onkyo USA and its product Support department and we are definitely assisting HT-RC 360 customers with their reported issues. We're sorry to read that you are also experiencing an issue with your receiver and would like to further assist you to having your unit evaluated and serviced at an authorized Onkyo service center. Please contact our Parts & Services Dept. at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST ; or via email at parts@us.onkyo.com. They can be contacted at 201-785-2600, option # 4 for Parts & Services as they can further assist you.

You will also need to submit a copy of your sales receipt from an authorized Onkyo dealer along with the full serial number (found on the rear of the receiver). Please also provide your FULL mailing address and contact number as well via email to parts@us.onkyo.com [Add in the subject line: FB Moderator Request]. The Parts & Services department will be the department to possibly assist and provide a one-time extended warranty authorization for the repair of your receiver.

MuddyG

quality posts: 9 Private Messages MuddyG
onkyousa wrote:As we have AN active support forum which details our active assistance on the receivers needing further evaluation and servicing- it also shows as public record and the accompanying customer testimonials also serve to show the customer satisfaction (forums.onkyousa.com). Thank you bclinton1 for bringing up this as well. We really enjoy having such support and admiration from an previous Onkyo owner as yourself. On behalf of Onkyo USA, thank you for your time and attention to detail on our products.

Wow. You really need to get a native English speaker working for you, OnkyoUSA. This does not bode well.

Filth. Flarn. Filth.

onkyousa

MuddyG wrote:Wow. You really need to get a native English speaker working for you, OnkyoUSA. This does not bode well.

LOL. Sorry for the spelling errors- using SWYPE and spell checker- working against me LOL. Will edit now...

UPDATE: DONE.

onkyousa

Good day my fellow Wooters; we at Onkyo USA would like to thank all for their comments and testimonials. We would also like to again show the ease of setting up the wireless setup for the TX-NR 626 via our YouTube tutorial:

We again thank you for choosing Onkyo!

knotworking

quality posts: 10 Private Messages knotworking
couchie wrote:Wondering if Onkyo allows access to a Plex media server running on the network it is attached to.

I run plex on a nas4free box and serve the content through several rokus in the house (just add the free plex channel to your roku). With roku opening up the youtube channel for most models, it's a no-brainer spending < $50 on one.

CraigTnelson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CraigTnelson
stugoldstein wrote:Why would you do a self- repair on a new unit and then post it online so that you aren't covered under warranty? I have my two (don't need anymore thank you) 626s and received NO issues and these babies are on almost 18 hours a day!! I smell hogwash about the capacitors.. its those buzz words that attract those who don't know squat about electronics to think the worst. FYI- the only units known for capacitor issues was the 606- nothing on the 626 as per AVSforums. Think of it like this- when you buy this and something goes wrong- onkyo is going to help you like they helped me and some others who posted today. Sorry for the ones who didn't get help- they prob didn't ask nicely lol.

Good catch, I have a 606...I edited my last post. There is no denying that the 606 had cap problems though.

onkyousa

Hello my fellow Wooters; this is Onkyo USA Product Support department and we would like to thank all for your feedbacks and questions/ concerns. We would also like to provide you with some YouTube tutorials to better utilize your Onkyo receiver:

As always; we thank you for your choice in Onkyo and can always offer support via phone (800-229-1687, and listen for the prompts for a Spanish speaking representative) or forum support (forums.onkyousa.com).

onkyousa

Hola mi compañero Wooters; esto es Onkyo EE.UU. Departamento de Servicio y nos gustaría dar las gracias a todos por sus reacciones y preguntas / preocupaciones. También nos gustaría ofrecerle algunos tutoriales de YouTube para utilizar mejor su receptor Onkyo:

Como siempre; le damos las gracias por su selección en Onkyo y siempre podemos ofrecer apoyo por teléfono (800-229-1687, y escuche las indicaciones para un representante español que habla) o el apoyo foro (forums.onkyousa.com).

onkyousa

CraigTnelson wrote:Good catch, I have a 606...I edited my last post. There is no denying that the 606 had cap problems though.

Hey CraigTnelson; why didn't you say so?? I would personally like to assist you with your TX-SR 606- and your parents as well. Please contact our Parts & Services Dept via fax 201-934-7823 or email (askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com) at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST. You will need to provide the following information: Name, address, contact info (telephone number/ email address); along with copy of sales receipt, model number, serial number; and full description of issue(s) of your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Note: if you do not have your sales receipt; please provide information on date and dealer of purchase for your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Your correspondence will be reviewed and handled by the Parts & Services representative who will contact you regarding your issue.

onkyousa

knotworking wrote:I run plex on a nas4free box and serve the content through several rokus in the house (just add the free plex channel to your roku). With roku opening up the youtube channel for most models, it's a no-brainer spending < $50 on one.

Good call knot working... thanks for the post!

calvecg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages calvecg

OK OnkyoUSA, if I spring for a 626 here, will you fix my 606 too? Same issue as others have reported, loss of HDMI outputs (2). I switched stuff around twice, but everything's used now, no more switching if another one goes. I bought it new in 2008 from Crutchfield (excellent customer service from them, BTW). I could put the 606 in the basement and really rock the CoD down there if I got a new receiver for the den. I'm assuming the bluetooth means I can pair my phone and stream MP3s? (I have not read any specs as yet). That alone is worth the price of the upgrade, IF I can get the old one fixed too.

steveken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages steveken
knotworking wrote:I run plex on a nas4free box and serve the content through several rokus in the house (just add the free plex channel to your roku). With roku opening up the youtube channel for most models, it's a no-brainer spending < $50 on one.

The Plex channel is no longer free. It is now a $5 purchase.

stugoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stugoldstein
Noxide wrote:Could one of you grand audiophiles tell me how this compares to this Pioneer?
http://moofi.woot.com/offers/pioneer-7-1-channel-network-a-v-receiver-13?utm_source=Commission+Junction+Publisher+-+5426040&utm_medium=affiliate+-+Product+Catalog&utm_campaign=Commission+Junction+-+10860750

Now I also have a Pioneer in my office along with my 2 Onkyos. Pionner is just as good, if not slightly better- but I also had a HDMI issue with the board- but Pioneer is more tight lipped about it.. just check AVSforums. The first thing is that the 626 outputs more watts per channel that the Pioneer (15 watts more per channel). Its states the RMS is 520 watts approx; while the Onkyo does 475 watts not counting the subwoofer wattage. The Pioneer also doesn't have BT built in or WiFi built.

Upon research they use the same DSP chip that is giving Onkyos headache (Texas Instrument Arues RI) so be wary. I seen some reports from AVforums UK about this occurring... sssh!!When it comes to AV receivers- they all have potentials to be problematic; I go with the support aspect of it. I'd hate to be one of those guys who are so upset they search and hunt and post about the receivers that don't have. So far- I can give honest opinions on Marantz, Onkyo, HK, Pioneer, and Sony/ Yamaha-

donaldjlynch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donaldjlynch
jeff32210 wrote:I got this last time it was on Woot and I really like it. Set up was pretty easy, although I did have to call the tech support line at one point to help me with a menu setting I couldn't figure out, but they were helpful and I was on my way.

Here's what I like:

Two independent zones. I can listen to Pandora outside by the pool while someone else watches a movie in the den.

Remote app. I can control volume,change stations, skip songs, and perform basic control functions from my phone. Great for when I'm poolside.

However, a complaint: The app could really use some work. The UI is unintuitive and clunky at best. It offers no shuffle functionality so if you are a Spotify Premium subscriber and you want to listen to a playlist, you have to listen to it in order. This is not a Spotify issue. Onkyo needs to fix their app. I find this omission quite ridiculous. Speaking of streaming music subscriptions, Google Play Music All Access is not an option here, which again, Onkyo should address.

There are work arounds of course. Plug your phone or computer into the receiver or connect via Bluetooth and you can bypass Onkyo's app shortcomings, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of having these services built in.

That being said, I'm very happy with this receiver overall. I was going to buy it brand new, but this deal saved me $200 so I'm even happier.

Question
I have a blue tooth headset (LG HBS-800). I like to watch TV at night and have to keep it down. Could I use the my headset with this?

onkyousa

calvecg wrote:OK OnkyoUSA, if I spring for a 626 here, will you fix my 606 too? Same issue as others have reported, loss of HDMI outputs (2). I switched stuff around twice, but everything's used now, no more switching if another one goes. I bought it new in 2008 from Crutchfield (excellent customer service from them, BTW). I could put the 606 in the basement and really rock the CoD down there if I got a new receiver for the den. I'm assuming the bluetooth means I can pair my phone and stream MP3s? (I have not read any specs as yet). That alone is worth the price of the upgrade, IF I can get the old one fixed too.

Sure calving; I would LOVE to assist you with your SR 606 to having it serviced and working again ASAP. Please contact our Parts & Services Dept via fax 201-934-7823 or email (parts@us.onkyo.com) at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST. You will need to provide the following information: Name, address, contact info (telephone number/ email address); along with copy of sales receipt, model number, serial number; and full description of issue(s) of your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Note: if you do not have your sales receipt; please provide information on date and dealer of purchase for your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Your correspondence will be reviewed and handled by the Parts & Services representative who will contact you regarding your issue.

audichopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages audichopper

OK, not sure where to begin, but i to bought this from woot back on Dec. 14th. I have had nothing but issues with this unit on several occasions and support pretty much blew me off. To save me time from re-typing everything, i am pasting the 2 separate postings form what i wrote in the Dec. 14 forum from when i purchased.

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5642450&pageindex=3&replycount=114

First post on Feb. 29th

"Has anyone had issues with the audio taking 5 seconds to upwards of 10 minutes to come in? Worked fine at first and gradually got worse. Every time I change an input or even change device the audio is EXTREMELY slow to startup. Even pausing tv and then playing it again, it also happens. I did a reset on the receiver and seemed to fix the problem but it is gradually coming back again. Very disappointed at this point. When I called Onkyo support they suggested I mail the receiver in (at my expense!) or drop off at an authorized service center (closest one is about an hour and half drive. Not sure what to do at this point."

Second post on May 19th:

"Just to update, my Onkyo literally popped, orange flame and sparks. Started by shutting itself off. When i pressed the power, it would try and come on for 10 seconds then shut off. While on the phone with Onkyo support, i unplugged for 2 minutes and powered back on and the dang thing made a loud bang and sparks and flame came out both the bottom and top. The tech on the phone heard it and suggested i send it in, AT MY EXPENSE!!! What a joke!! working on the phone with someone else now."

The latest is i had to call back in the morning to speak to someone and did finally get them to say they will pay the shipping both ways. Unfortunately, they have yet to send me anything to ship the unit in or a pre-paid label. So it is still at my house. This thing literally blew while i had the tech on the phone, i'm talking out the bottom and top! Cant believe they are taking this long to do anything. I am very disappointed in their support, i mentioned that i do not want this same unit back in my house, so either a replacement or refund, but have yet heard anything in regards to that. Matter of fact the only email i have received from them was them telling me the SN i gave them was incorrect, which took about 5 days before i received that. Sent them the picture i read it from and haven't heard anything since.

jppullen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jppullen

I bought one of these from Woot (or was it Amazon? I can't remember) last year. I would not buy it again. Audio quality, setup, all these things are good.

But there is one deal breaker: It's HDMI feed is inconsistent. Sometimes it doesn't output a video signal. I had to troubleshoot every part of my system, from my TV to my cables, and the Onkyo was the problem.

This is a known issue with their devices, and I saw it in advance. I thought "Oh, it won't happen to me." But then it did.

Buyer beware -- if could happen to you, too.

wwinch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wwinch

The Onkyo remote has replaced my Harmony remote. The three separate power buttons seem to be a unique and very useful feature. It makes my past purchases of other brands of receivers feel like mistakes.

onkyousa

donaldjlynch wrote:Question
I have a blue tooth headset (LG HBS-800). I like to watch TV at night and have to keep it down. Could I use the my headset with this?

Hello donaldjlynch; as the TX-NR 626 receiver only RECEIVES Bluetooth audio signals and doesn't transmit from the receiver- unless your TV, cable/ satellite STB outputs via BT; this may NOT be supported. Now I personally use my BT headset to stream the audio from my PS3 and/ or my MacMini at night to avoid disturbing my fiancé and the baby and these devices are connected into my receiver as well.

ndaipori

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ndaipori
tonyp063 wrote:"robbroncs" will this convert composite IN and component IN to the HDMI OUT??

the Onkyo I have now will not. which really sucks for my old gaming consoles which do not have an HDMI option.

thanks for your help

"tonyp063"Yes it will. From the product page

Qdeo™ technology from Marvell upscales standard video to silky-smooth 1080p (for regular HDTVs) and to an incredible 4K on compatible displays.

In the spec section it says the following:
Component Video Upconversion - (no)
Analog To HDMI Upconversion ✓ (from 480i/576i)

That's pretty clear that Component to HDMI is not an option here.

onkyousa

jppullen wrote:I bought one of these from Woot (or was it Amazon? I can't remember) last year. I would not buy it again. Audio quality, setup, all these things are good.

But there is one deal breaker: It's HDMI feed is inconsistent. Sometimes it doesn't output a video signal. I had to troubleshoot every part of my system, from my TV to my cables, and the Onkyo was the problem.

This is a known issue with their devices, and I saw it in advance. I thought "Oh, it won't happen to me." But then it did.

Buyer beware -- if could happen to you, too.

Hello jppullen; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and reading your post- it doesn't seem as if you have contacted our Product Support department regarding this issue. It can be as simple as disabling HDMI DEEP COLOR properly or the HDMI cable itself. As this could've been determined with the assistance of our Product Support department; can you please contact our Product Support department at 800-229-1687 24 hours a day for further assistance. I would also like to asset in this phone call- so inform the representative that you were referred by the Woot Moderator.

onkyousa

ndaipori wrote:In the spec section it says the following:
Component Video Upconversion - (no)
Analog To HDMI Upconversion ✓ (from 480i/576i)

That's pretty clear that Component to HDMI is not an option here.

To better assist; this receiver CAN up convert from either COMPOSITE to HDMI and from COMPONENT VIDEO to HDMI. The source device must output its video signal at 480i for proper up conversion via HDMI. We would usually rely on the manual for concise information.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your Onkyo product, as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

onkyousa

audichopper wrote:OK, not sure where to begin, but i to bought this from woot back on Dec. 14th. I have had nothing but issues with this unit on several occasions and support pretty much blew me off. To save me time from re-typing everything, i am pasting the 2 separate postings form what i wrote in the Dec. 14 forum from when i purchased.

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5642450&pageindex=3&replycount=114

First post on Feb. 29th

"Has anyone had issues with the audio taking 5 seconds to upwards of 10 minutes to come in? Worked fine at first and gradually got worse. Every time I change an input or even change device the audio is EXTREMELY slow to startup. Even pausing tv and then playing it again, it also happens. I did a reset on the receiver and seemed to fix the problem but it is gradually coming back again. Very disappointed at this point. When I called Onkyo support they suggested I mail the receiver in (at my expense!) or drop off at an authorized service center (closest one is about an hour and half drive. Not sure what to do at this point."

Second post on May 19th:

"Just to update, my Onkyo literally popped, orange flame and sparks. Started by shutting itself off. When i pressed the power, it would try and come on for 10 seconds then shut off. While on the phone with Onkyo support, i unplugged for 2 minutes and powered back on and the dang thing made a loud bang and sparks and flame came out both the bottom and top. The tech on the phone heard it and suggested i send it in, AT MY EXPENSE!!! What a joke!! working on the phone with someone else now."

The latest is i had to call back in the morning to speak to someone and did finally get them to say they will pay the shipping both ways. Unfortunately, they have yet to send me anything to ship the unit in or a pre-paid label. So it is still at my house. This thing literally blew while i had the tech on the phone, i'm talking out the bottom and top! Cant believe they are taking this long to do anything. I am very disappointed in their support, i mentioned that i do not want this same unit back in my house, so either a replacement or refund, but have yet heard anything in regards to that. Matter of fact the only email i have received from them was them telling me the SN i gave them was incorrect, which took about 5 days before i received that. Sent them the picture i read it from and haven't heard anything since.

Hello audichopper; this is Onkyo USA Product Support and upon reading your post- I would like to personally assist you with this instead of handing off to our Parts & Services department. Please send to me all your email correspondence to askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com. I am currently in the inbox and would like to assist you promptly for your issue. Thank you for your cooperation and patience in our ability to finally have this resolved. I will also work on the shipment to our facility at NO cost to you.

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming
onkyousa wrote:
NOTE: ZONE 2 is an ANALOG only source- With all of our products that have a Zone 2 or more features they use only analog connections (RED &WHITE) so you need to hook up an analog connection from the source into the back of the receiver into the input that you are using.

Excellent... my 2nd audio source is from an Apple Airport Express, so that should work.

Altho it sounds like this has that function built in... and another user said they listen to Pandora on the 2nd zone... is that possible? To send music to this via WiFi and have it play on Zone 2?

audichopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages audichopper
onkyousa wrote:Hello audichopper; this is Onkyo USA Product Support and upon reading your post- I would like to personally assist you with this instead of handing off to our Parts & Services department. Please send to me all your email correspondence to askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com. I am currently in the inbox and would like to assist you promptly for your issue. Thank you for your cooperation and patience in our ability to finally have this resolved. I will also work on the shipment to our facility at NO cost to you.

Just forwarded the emails, thanks.

davevpi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davevpi
mikes123 wrote:Warning, the networking in Onkyo's receivers is flawed, it violates well established Internet standards (RFCs), and produces a significant amount of network traffic even when the unit is in standby (which is especially significant if you expect to connect it via WiFi). The result is that their receivers simply "don't play well with others."

Onkyo is aware of the issues, claims they were by design, and seems not to be interested in fixing them. Why they would deliberately design a product with defects is unexplained.

This is interesting. Since buying my Onkyo receiver (TX-NR727 - not the model being offered today), I have had about three occasions where my wi-fi has died. All three times have been when I was watching Netflix on my Apple TV. Each time, my router said everything was perfect, but no device could actually connect to it. I had to reboot the router to resolve it.

I hadn't really considered the receiver as a possible culprit, but I wonder if I can just turn off the receiver's wi-fi and see if the problem goes away - I don't really use the wi-fi on the receiver at all, but had never turned it off because I didn't consider it to be a possible culprit.

onkyousa

ScottFromWyoming wrote:Excellent... my 2nd audio source is from an Apple Airport Express, so that should work.

Altho it sounds like this has that function built in... and another user said they listen to Pandora on the 2nd zone... is that possible? To send music to this via WiFi and have it play on Zone 2?

Yes ScottfromWyoming; the TX-NR 626 can play separate audio source between the ZONES- except for BLUETOOTH (which needs to be also be broadcasted thru the MAIN listening zone as well. So yes- you can watch Cable TV in the main zone and stream audio from Pandora; DLNA, or even your terrestrial AM/ FM tuner for ZONE 2.

We are always available to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have via phone support (800-229-1687) , forum support (forums.onkyousa.com) or email (onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com). Thank you again for your question and interest in Onkyo.

onkyousa

audichopper wrote:Just forwarded the emails, thanks.

One moment- while I answer some more posts and review your email... Ok??

kensmiles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kensmiles
onkyousa wrote:Hello sdempster; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department- reading your post I would like to personally assist you in having your receiver evaluated at an authorized service center if needed. I would also like to have or on site technician contact you b as well via Skype or phone call to better assess your reported issue and advise if servicing is needed.

Please provide your contact information to this email address along with a suitable timeframe when you are near your unit for our technician to assist you. Please email to information to askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com ATTN: Woot Moderator. If needed, we can inquire about shipment arrangements further to appease abd resolve your issue with your NR 626, as your NR 626 now has internal fans and better heatsinks. It also can provide the current internal temp of the receiver & if it registers above 150 degrees Fahrenheit, the internal fans become active. You also seemed not to fully disable the HDMI DEEP COLOR feature to eliminate the video flickering.

onkyousa, your offer for help is a good one. I do have this question, though: Does this receiver have a known heat problem, as reported by a number of customers? The readers of these posts are considering a purchase and are interested in knowing if this is a known design defect.

onkyousa

davevpi wrote:This is interesting. Since buying my Onkyo receiver (TX-NR727 - not the model being offered today), I have had about three occasions where my wi-fi has died. All three times have been when I was watching Netflix on my Apple TV. Each time, my router said everything was perfect, but no device could actually connect to it. I had to reboot the router to resolve it.

I hadn't really considered the receiver as a possible culprit, but I wonder if I can just turn off the receiver's wi-fi and see if the problem goes away - I don't really use the wi-fi on the receiver at all, but had never turned it off because I didn't consider it to be a possible culprit.

Hello davevpi; if you do so happen to research mikeS statement on our forum and Amazon posting- we already resolved his issue via firmware and his issue is NOT to be confused with what you are reporting. He is not happy that we are not within his specifications for DLNA configuration; although we are within DLNA's certification. We would like to obtain some more information on your issue to better assess the cause and explain better to you.

Please provide your information and description for further review to askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com and our technical representatives will research and gather information from our field svc centers to determine if this is a reoccurring issue that requires further evaluation.

onkyousa

kensmiles wrote:onkyousa, your offer for help is a good one. I do have this question, though: Does this receiver have a known heat problem, as reported by a number of customers? The readers of these posts are considering a purchase and are interested in knowing if this is a known design defect.

Hello ken smiles; as our receivers utilize a HIGH CURRENT POWER SUPPLY (HCPS)- Our receivers do tend to run about 80 degrees above ambient room temperature, this is normal. If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation, such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is adequate ventilation. Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and 10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4") away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like gap for warm air to escape. Please make sure that when you turn off the main receiver that you also turn off the Zone 2 because if you don’t turn off Zone2 (if your receiver has this feature) then the receiver will continue to run and will produce heat. There is an internet dealer selling cooling fans that can be used with our receivers www.coolerguys.com.

If HYBRID STANDBY or ZONE 2 is enabled; a slight power consumption is expected due to the activation and usage of these features. Our receivers have been greatly improved from previous models due to such customer demand and reported issues. These units now also provide an internal cooling fan when the internal temperature exceeds 150 degrees Fahrenheit- so operation under this parameter is optimal for the receiver's performance and with this and the improved heatsinks- is no longer a reported issue.

We do appreciate your question and concern; as there is probably someone reading who is also concerned about this. We are readily available to assist our customers and followers with their questions and will offer the best support for their specific issue in a prompt and courteous effort. Thank you again for your choice and support in Onkyo.