wizwor

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wizwor
tanios wrote:I live in New England. What would any of these sling tv devices provide if one showed up at my door and I plugged it in?

This isn't a sling device -- it's a whole house DVR. The DVR records and plays television signals broadcast over-the-air. You need an antenna of some sorts to receive that signal. You also need some sort of device to play the recordings and live programming on your television. Chromecast, a Roku, or some sort of PC is required. I think you can also fling to an Apple TV using the IOS app. Once you have all that hooked up, you can watch live tv or recordings. It's much more amazing than it sounds. You can also watch this using a tablet or pc on your LAN or remotely.

awesomeaustin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages awesomeaustin

I picked up an HD HomeRun Prime on the last woot offering a few weeks ago. I was a little skeptical about the initial setup and configuration but I can tell you one thing fellow wooters - WOW. The HD HomeRunPrime is a three tuner adapter but otherwise the software and setup should be nearly identical. I'm using mine with Time Warner Cable and the total setup time with sitting on hold for cablecard activation was less than an hour and I am now happily streaming CNN and ESPN on my desktop computer while I "work." The picture quality is outstanding and I am so impressed with how Windows Media Center handles the guide and recording with multiple tuners.

I've got an XBOX 360 in another room acting as a windows media center extender (a no brainer on setup - literally just open the application on the xbox under TV & Movies and enter the 8 digit setup code from my desktop computer) wam bam thank you ma'am I know have my full digital cable lineup in a room without a cable outlet that I'm not having to pay monthly service for. Glorious.

HD HomeRun makes good stuff. You need some technical IT ability to set this up - I would rate it a 6/10 on hardness scale but if you read the comments in here and the comments on Amazon you can work through the setup incredibly quickly.

Good luck - I love mine!

phearlez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phearlez
wizwor wrote:This isn't a sling device -- it's a whole house DVR.

If this is a DVR then so is an antenna. There's nothing in this device that stores anything. It captures a signal and distributes it somewhere else via network.

So if you take it out of the box and plug it in you now have the capacity to watch things live. You could always get some additional software for other platforms and do some recording that way, but it requires more work and likely more purchases.

This device, as provided, just turns television signals into a digital format for immediate consumption. You can have some other gadget record those signals but you need more hardware/software to do it.

wizwor

i think we are talking about two different devices. Simple is a DVR -- you have to add a disk -- and the HDHomeRun is what you describe.

phearlez wrote:If this is a DVR then so is an antenna. There's nothing in this device that stores anything. It captures a signal and distributes it somewhere else via network.

So if you take it out of the box and plug it in you now have the capacity to watch things live. You could always get some additional software for other platforms and do some recording that way, but it requires more work and likely more purchases.

This device, as provided, just turns television signals into a digital format for immediate consumption. You can have some other gadget record those signals but you need more hardware/software to do it.

petermrozik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petermrozik

I have one of the HomeRun Plus units - I had to get one when COMCAST started encrypting the QAM signals, so I needed a streamer that supports CableCard installations. It works great for recording TV to my mediacenter PC, but streaming to any of my android devices is sub-acceptable. Once I got over the fact that I COULD do it, the the poor performance (stuttering, long audio screeching) made me lose interest in that function immediately.

mariolimonciello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mariolimonciello
petermrozik wrote:I have one of the HomeRun Plus units - I had to get one when COMCAST started encrypting the QAM signals, so I needed a streamer that supports CableCard installations. It works great for recording TV to my mediacenter PC, but streaming to any of my android devices is sub-acceptable. Once I got over the fact that I COULD do it, the the poor performance (stuttering, long audio screeching) made me lose interest in that function immediately.

Sounds like you don't have the HDHR Plus but rather the HDHR Prime. Very different beasts.

eddykim3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddykim3
petermrozik wrote:I have one of the HomeRun Plus units - I had to get one when COMCAST started encrypting the QAM signals, so I needed a streamer that supports CableCard installations. It works great for recording TV to my mediacenter PC, but streaming to any of my android devices is sub-acceptable. Once I got over the fact that I COULD do it, the the poor performance (stuttering, long audio screeching) made me lose interest in that function immediately.

You can modify the transcode profile to "mobile" which would be much more stable for a smart phone or tablet. Works fine with my Nexus7 and Samsung Galaxy.

Silicondust

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silicondust
tanios wrote:Forgive my naivety, but please help me understand what exactly I would gain by purchasing this. I do not have cable. I have high speed internet access in my home (25Mbps downstream). I have Amazon Prime (Instant Video), a Netflix subscription, and a Plex media server streaming to my Chromecast. I live in New England. What would any of these sling tv devices provide if one showed up at my door and I plugged it in?

Basically, they would allow you to add broadcast TV to your over-the-top services. The HDHomeRun Dual is primarily designed to be used to turn your PC into a DVR using software like Windows Media Center or MythTV. HDHomeRun Plus adds hardware conversion of the video to H.264 format, enabling live streaming to tablets, phones, and such. With the Simple.TV, you add a hard drive and it functions as a standalone DVR, which can be accessed via Android, iOS, Roku, PC web browsers, and just recently added, Chromecast. The Dual and Plus are primarily designed for use within the home, while the Simple.TV has the option to access your TV from anywhere in the world (requires Premier subscription).

Official account of Silicondust, makers of the HDHomeRun Dual, HDHomeRun Plus, and HDHomeRun PRIME networked digital TV tuners.
Website | Community Forum | Submit a Support Ticket

Silicondust

awesomeaustin wrote:I picked up an HD HomeRun Prime on the last woot offering a few weeks ago. I was a little skeptical about the initial setup and configuration but I can tell you one thing fellow wooters - WOW. The HD HomeRunPrime is a three tuner adapter but otherwise the software and setup should be nearly identical. I'm using mine with Time Warner Cable and the total setup time with sitting on hold for cablecard activation was less than an hour and I am now happily streaming CNN and ESPN on my desktop computer while I "work." The picture quality is outstanding and I am so impressed with how Windows Media Center handles the guide and recording with multiple tuners.

I've got an XBOX 360 in another room acting as a windows media center extender (a no brainer on setup - literally just open the application on the xbox under TV & Movies and enter the 8 digit setup code from my desktop computer) wam bam thank you ma'am I know have my full digital cable lineup in a room without a cable outlet that I'm not having to pay monthly service for. Glorious.

HD HomeRun makes good stuff. You need some technical IT ability to set this up - I would rate it a 6/10 on hardness scale but if you read the comments in here and the comments on Amazon you can work through the setup incredibly quickly.

Good luck - I love mine!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with HDHomeRun PRIME. I just want to make sure it is clear to everyone that today's products are designed for over the air broadcasts, while the HDHomeRun PRIME you purchased was designed for digital cable. Still the same great people who designed the hardware, just aiming for a different audience with these products. Hope everyone ends up with the right product for their needs, whether that's cable or broadcast. Sorry satellite users, DirecTV and Dish Network don't allow for customer-owned hardware, so you don't have the option to receive their signals with something else.

Official account of Silicondust, makers of the HDHomeRun Dual, HDHomeRun Plus, and HDHomeRun PRIME networked digital TV tuners.

LinuxRandal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LinuxRandal
blueconversechucks wrote:Can someone tell me whether I can use one of those three devices (preferably the cheapest one) in this way:
1) Plug my HD antenna into it (I don't have cable)
2) Get the feed from that into my Raspberry Pi (via ethernet cable/home network) which is running XBMC (Raspbian).
3) Watch TV and record TV on my Raspberry Pi (thereby replacing/supplementing my very old Tivo.)

If so, is it pretty easy to set that up?

I want to buy this but I'm not super tech savvy but it seems like the perfect add-on to my Rasberry Pi which I just got to work a week ago and which I love.

1: Yes
2: Yes, XBMC will handle streaming
3: I would ask over at the Raspberry PI forums (I am wondering if the PI can be setup to record, or not powerful enough). I expect you could record on another system, on the network and then stream it later.

Not sure about all the Mythtv plugins for XBMC.

Found a video of one with a cable one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKpqmkpkyOA

RobE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobE
wizwor wrote:This isn't a sling device -- it's a whole house DVR. The DVR records and plays television signals broadcast over-the-air. You need an antenna of some sorts to receive that signal. You also need some sort of device to play the recordings and live programming on your television. Chromecast, a Roku, or some sort of PC is required. I think you can also fling to an Apple TV using the IOS app. Once you have all that hooked up, you can watch live tv or recordings. It's much more amazing than it sounds. You can also watch this using a tablet or pc on your LAN or remotely.

If I'm reading correctly, and I'm not sure that I am, this is actually half of a DVR. It gives you the tuners and the ability to save programming, but has no storage capacity. You provide that yourself.

Once you have a hard drive with recorded programs on it, are they accessible (open format) to do with as you wish? I don't see myself using the "view anywhere" option often enough to merit a subscription (but maybe), but I could see some utility in occasionally putting a file on my tablet when I'm going to be out of town.

sh90706

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sh90706
Xenrid wrote:Strange, Woot! says the list price is $250 but on the Simple.TV site the $250 price point includes a year of their Premier Subscription service.

Just to lay it out for anyone who doesn't want to go to their site and look, the subscription adds:

• Whole-planet Remote Access
  • Automatic Series Recordings
  • Pause & Resume on Select Devices
  • Offline Viewing for Mobile Devices (Coming Soon)
  • Early Access Pass (see the new features before everyone else)

Prices to add the Premier Subscription are:

• $59.99 - 1 year
  • $149.99 - Lifetime (You can get a 1st gen unit with lifetime for cheaper on Amazon and use it for both instead.)

I've been looking to get a HDHomeRun for years now but I must admit I'm a little torn between the Plus and the Simple.TV.

The specs indicate the Simple.TV has H.264 encoding like the Plus, so that's good, but they also state the audio output is only AAC stereo which (if permanent) is a deal breaker for anyone who wants to preserve 5.1 surround from broadcast signals. Some reviewers of the Plus indicate that surround audio support was added to that device with a firmware update. Simple.TV also lacks the DLNA streaming capabilities of the Plus.

I'm skeptical as to whether the Simple.TV device will continue to receive support like I know the HDHomeRun Plus will, especially if company doesn't make it (They've only been selling devices since late last year and they're already on their second gen hardware after all).

[MOD: Thanks for the callout. We adjusted the list to $199.99. We are selling the BASIC version.]

If u have Roku, just get Play-on and Play-later. cheaper and easier.

scottjl

quality posts: 12 Private Messages scottjl
RobE wrote:If I'm reading correctly, and I'm not sure that I am, this is actually half of a DVR. It gives you the tuners and the ability to save programming, but has no storage capacity. You provide that yourself.

Once you have a hard drive with recorded programs on it, are they accessible (open format) to do with as you wish? I don't see myself using the "view anywhere" option often enough to merit a subscription (but maybe), but I could see some utility in occasionally putting a file on my tablet when I'm going to be out of town.

It's a little confusing because there are actually 2 (really 3) different devices being offered and unless people look at the last photo (which enlarges very poorly) you won't see the differences.

1. The HDHomeRun *DUAL* will stream unencrypted OTA and digital cable channels to a receiving device.

2. The HDHomeRun *PLUS* will stream unencrypted HD channels to a receiving device.

3. The Simple.TV will record OTA digital(ATSC) signals to a user-supplied hard drive. You can watch those shows using a Roku, iOS or Android device, or web browser on a computer. It will also work with a Chromecast or allow you to download shows if you have the latest firmware.

The most features is in the third device, which of course costs the most. It also pretty much needs a subscription service, available through Simple.TV for an extra charge.

The first two units can not record shows, however they can work with 3rd party software that will record shows, such as Windows Media Center or MythTV.

atlgeek

quality posts: 2 Private Messages atlgeek

The Simple.TV unit being sold on Woot! today has a List price of $199 and includes a 30 day free trial of the Premier service.

sh90706 wrote:If u have Roku, just get Play-on and Play-later. cheaper and easier.

Simple.TV Staff

SimpleTV

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SimpleTV

In addition to iOS, Android, Roku, and Chromecast, this might be a good place to show off a screenshot of our upcoming Windows Phone 8 client for the first time.

Shhhhh.

- Patrick @ STV

-Patrick @ Simple.TV

claynpotter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages claynpotter

I purchased SimpleTV version 1 from a year ago woot.
I also have Sling from previous woot.
I needed to record TV shows and Sling does not do that. I like Simple TV except
1. No way to copy recorded file to my PC so I can archive it on DVD or Bluray.
2. When hard drive run out of space, the device will delete recorded show randomly to record new show (without asking)
3. Fast jump or back doesn't seems to be working on Android device.
4. Roku channel will not let me delete the recorded show, although click on "delete"

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase though.

Xenrid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xenrid
wizwor wrote:Also, how about getting your android app into the Amazon app store.

Isn't it there already?:
http://www.amazon.com/Simple-TV/dp/B00IMHFOVS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401732151&sr=8-3&keywords=simple.tv

Xenrid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xenrid
SimpleTV wrote:In addition to iOS, Android, Roku, and Chromecast, this might be a good place to show off a screenshot of our upcoming Windows Phone 8 client for the first time.

Okay, that looks pretty sweet!

I don't suppose there are any plans to extend your Android app to support GoogleTV devices? Your current app isn't listed as compatible with my first or either of my second gen GoogleTV devices. I know GoogleTV never really took off but I greatly enjoy the ability to run apps and I have no burning desire to switch to Roku any time in the near future.

scottjl

claynpotter wrote:I purchased SimpleTV version 1 from a year ago woot.

According to the email I received last week you can now download shows from 2 tuner devices to your PC and save them. This will be available for 1 tuner devices in a few weeks. Check your email if you get notices from Simple.TV.

SimpleTV

claynpotter wrote:I purchased SimpleTV version 1 from a year ago woot.
2. When hard drive run out of space, the device will delete recorded show randomly to record new show (without asking)
3. Fast jump or back doesn't seems to be working on Android device.
4. Roku channel will not let me delete the recorded show, although click on "delete"

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase though.

Appreciate the comments.

#1 We recently enabled this on the new dual-tuner models, it’s a lot more complicated than it sounds. Broadcast video is not ready for just throwing into your favorite player or on your favorite device and it took a lot of tweaking to make it usable. We’re working on enabling video downloads for the single-tuner now, we may need to leave the downloads on this model as transport stream files you could watch in VLC or convert using your favorite apps. Still a work in progress - but actively in progress.

2. The deletion isn’t random, when everything is working as it should what you’re seeing are the oldest recorded shows being overwritten by the newest recordings. It would be good at add a “never delete” flag to certain recordings though!

3. Some of the behavior is different depending on your device or Android version since we use their native HLS playback, still some tweaking to do on our side.

4. That one I’m not quite sure about but will peek…. thanks!

- Patrick @ STV

-Patrick @ Simple.TV

dlevasseur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dlevasseur

Can the Simple.TV device tune analog OTA stations along with the digital OTA stations?

SimpleTV

wizwor wrote:Also, how about getting your android app into the Amazon app store.

Xenrid wrote:Isn't it there already?:
http://www.amazon.com/Simple-TV/dp/B00IMHFOVS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401732151&sr=8-3&keywords=simple.tv

The app is in the Amazon App Store - however it isn't flagged as compatible for Kindle which is probably what he is referring to. At the moment, the only way to get it onto a Kindle device is to get the APK from another device and sideload it manually.

I wish I could tell you why since we developed with and tested with all models - but at the moment we're not getting any information back.

It's a bit of a pain since I use a Kindle HDX as my primary tablet right now..... but sideloading is relatively simple. This one is in Amazon's court.

dlevasseur wrote:Can the Simple.TV device tune analog OTA stations along with the digital OTA stations?

Only Digital OTA!

-Patrick @ Simple.TV

SimpleTV

Xenrid wrote:Okay, that looks pretty sweet!

I don't suppose there are any plans to extend your Android app to support GoogleTV devices? Your current app isn't listed as compatible with my first or either of my second gen GoogleTV devices. I know GoogleTV never really took off but I greatly enjoy the ability to run apps and I have no burning desire to switch to Roku any time in the near future.

Good question - it's a matter of demand. The market for Google TV is small (relatively) at the moment and we see very few requests for this right now.

Our Android devs are focused on a bit of a UI overhaul including a full EPG (electronic programming guide) grid guide which has been heavily requested. If the latest Google TV rumors are true though, we'll be focusing on that soon.

As for "anything but Roku", we would jump on Fire TV pretty quickly if Amazon would allow it, but Plex is probably the next new client you'll see (I'm not promising a timeframe here) after Win 8....

-Patrick @ Simple.TV

ericgus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericgus

I just wanted to add if you opt to use RasPLEX the current version allows you to make the Pi look alike an appleTV that you can stream to via AirPlay from an iOS device .. that might do what you need if you use iOS

blueconversechucks wrote:Can someone tell me whether I can use one of those three devices (preferably the cheapest one) in this way:
1) Plug my HD antenna into it (I don't have cable)
2) Get the feed from that into my Raspberry Pi (via ethernet cable/home network) which is running XBMC (Raspbian).
3) Watch TV and record TV on my Raspberry Pi (thereby replacing/supplementing my very old Tivo.)

If so, is it pretty easy to set that up?

I want to buy this but I'm not super tech savvy but it seems like the perfect add-on to my Rasberry Pi which I just got to work a week ago and which I love.

mariolimonciello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mariolimonciello
SimpleTV wrote:Appreciate the comments.

#1 We recently enabled this on the new dual-tuner models, it’s a lot more complicated than it sounds. Broadcast video is not ready for just throwing into your favorite player or on your favorite device and it took a lot of tweaking to make it usable. We’re working on enabling video downloads for the single-tuner now, we may need to leave the downloads on this model as transport stream files you could watch in VLC or convert using your favorite apps. Still a work in progress - but actively in progress.

2. The deletion isn’t random, when everything is working as it should what you’re seeing are the oldest recorded shows being overwritten by the newest recordings. It would be good at add a “never delete” flag to certain recordings though!

3. Some of the behavior is different depending on your device or Android version since we use their native HLS playback, still some tweaking to do on our side.

4. That one I’m not quite sure about but will peek…. thanks!

- Patrick @ STV

Patrick,

Quick Q on #1. Is it possible to problematically pull up the list (or a playlist) of all the transport stream files in gen2 too?

I'd love to be able to let some software hit a URL pull that list down and then stream the transport files if they don't need to be transcoded.

crashsite68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crashsite68

Thanks! Your comments confirmed what I was already thinking and led me to the Channel Master DVR+, which is what I'll go with unless nothing else better comes out by this October (when my DirecTV contract is up). Looking to save money, not just change who gets it.

wizwor wrote:This appears to be Simple's third device. We all loaded up on the v1 device for <$100 with lifetime premier service, right?

I got five of the V1 DVRs and have been satisfied -- which is different than delighted or thrilled or suicidal.

The two tuner DVR came out around Christmas. I passed on this one as it was very expensive and I already had five of the other model. There were lots of problems. The DVR got very hot, the fan ran continuously, and the fan was very noisy. At the same time RSS changed their guide provider and there were a LOT of problems with the guide. Things have gotten better, but there are still a lot of problems. The biggest problem is their support team -- it's awful. AWFUL! The web site and its FAQ are out of date. They rarely respond to requests for help. When they do respond, it's clear they have no idea what is going on.

So, here we have a third DVR. RSS has improved the fan management even in their V2 device. This one is supposed to be better. Note the holes in the top of the box. That and an improved heat sink/fan are supposed to dramatically improve operation. @$155 (for those who got their lifetime premier service with the v1 model), this is a good deal for a two tuner DVR, but here are some things to think about...

The Good: This is a whole house DVR with really sophisticated recording capability. You can schedule shows, manage your library, and watch the recordings from a PC. Remote access is terrific. Not only can you access the programming and live tv from a remote PC, but you can actually pair a remote Roku with your DVR. You can download your recordings to a PC for playback on another device or via Plex.

The Bad: This is not a set top DVR. It is slow to tune channels. The Roku interface is poor (like any Roku channel interface). There are no visual cues when you fast forward or rewind. I prefer the DVR+ as a set top DVR.

The Ugly: I really have no faith in this company. If you are not able or willing to troubleshoot complex network/security/disk issues, stay away. I hope this changes, but, for now, I can only recommend a Simple DVR to hobbyists and enthusiasts.

blueconversechucks

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blueconversechucks
scottjl wrote:Well, unfortunately you aren't going to get all of what you want with that setup.

The HDHomeRun units are tuners, no recording ability in them. They will stream live television to your XMBC allowing you to watch live shows on anything that can pick up a DLNA stream (Xbox, PS3/4, phones, tablets, etc.) They will also work well with MythTV, which runs on Linux, but unfortunately not your Raspberry Pi. MythTV would replace your Tivo unit and a whole lot more.

The Simple.TV unit will catch and record shows for you, but it won't stream to your Pi. If you have a computer, laptop, tablet, phone, or Roku unit you can watch your recorded shows, or live TV, on that.

Now, that being said, there are software updates coming from Simple.TV that will allow you to download shows, or stream to a Chromecast. I can't speak much about them because my Simple.TV 1 tuner unit can't do that yet, but these two-tuner units should be able to out of the box.

Simple.TV also works best with one of their subscriptions, so you need to factor that cost in as well. Woot has previously sold the 1 tuner units with lifetime subscriptions for <$100, maybe you want to wait for one of those to come around again, or do a search on Amazon as a previous poster mentioned.

Good luck!

Can't I use Myth TV with a Raspberry Pi? When I go to add-ins in XMBC, Myth TV is listed there. My plan was to stream it to the RPi and record it to an external hard drive using Myth TV.

SimpleTV

mariolimonciello wrote:Patrick,

Quick Q on #1. Is it possible to problematically pull up the list (or a playlist) of all the transport stream files in gen2 too?

I'd love to be able to let some software hit a URL pull that list down and then stream the transport files if they don't need to be transcoded.

Not at the moment, only the prepared MP4 files!

-Patrick @ Simple.TV

scottjl

blueconversechucks wrote:Can't I use Myth TV with a Raspberry Pi? When I go to add-ins in XMBC, Myth TV is listed there. My plan was to stream it to the RPi and record it to an external hard drive using Myth TV.

Unless things have changed I doubt can run MythTV on a Pi. I haven't used it in several years but it's quite resource intensive. XMBC will play from a MythTV server, if you have one of those already running some place, but the Pi likely won't host a Myth server. Nevermind, just checked...

From Myth's web site, not going to happen any time soon... http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Rasberry_Pi

I should add in, in case you're unfamiliar with MythTV. It's a large application that combines functions you find in a DVR and media player, it bundles up your TiVO and XBMC, add in extras like MAME, newsreaders, photo browsers, etc. (like XBMC). There is a back-end application that handles the media server, recording of shows, etc, and the front-end which is for watching/listening to media. The back-end is just too much for the $35 Pi.

The same goes for Plex, RasPlex will display media, but will not act as a media server for you.

wizwor

I love both devices. I own five Simple DVRs. They just do different things. When you sit at a tv changing channels, rewinding, and fast forwarding, the DVR+ is unbeatable. If you want to record all episodes of a program on any channel at any time, the Simple DVR is better. It's tough to beat the Simple DVR for remote access (DVR+ does not do this at all). Get one of each ;-)

crashsite68 wrote:Thanks! Your comments confirmed what I was already thinking and led me to the Channel Master DVR+, which is what I'll go with unless nothing else better comes out by this October (when my DirecTV contract is up). Looking to save money, not just change who gets it.

sracer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sracer

I was ready to buy a Simple.TV to record OTA programming (Me-TV specifically)...

...then I discovered that one must subscribe to Simple.TV's premiere service for that feature.

Without a subscription the only thing possible is to record/watch/pause live tv.

https://us.simple.tv/faq#q11

wizwor

That's correct. If you are only going to record MeTV (which is awesome), you may be better off grabbing a V1 DVR with lifetime subscription.

sracer wrote:I was ready to buy a Simple.TV to record OTA programming (Me-TV specifically)...

...then I discovered that one must subscribe to Simple.TV's premiere service for that feature.

Without a subscription the only thing possible is to record/watch/pause live tv.

https://us.simple.tv/faq#q11

SpiceWare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpiceWare

I ordered a couple HD HomeRun DUAL units from woot! back in November of 2012. Over the next couple months I set up a Mac mini running EyeTV, then cancelled DirecTV in January 2013. I've saved $2066 since then (what I used to pay DirecTV less what I've paid for à la cart cable series via blu-ray disc, DVD and iTunes).

I've been documenting my DVR project in my blog if anyone would like more info.

sracer

wizwor wrote:That's correct. If you are only going to record MeTV (which is awesome), you may be better off grabbing a V1 DVR with lifetime subscription.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think that I'll order a Mediasonic DVR... on paper sounds like it will do everything (and then some) that I'm looking for. $37 on Amazon. That's too crazy a price not to try.

wizwor

You can always send it back. I looked at these (vs DVR+) and decided it was worth the $ for the DVR+. For your application, the Simple DVR facilitates recording and file management very nicely. You can also view your recordings from multiple devices (like your surface and ipad) concurrently.

sracer wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I think that I'll order a Mediasonic DVR... on paper sounds like it will do everything (and then some) that I'm looking for. $37 on Amazon. That's too crazy a price not to try.

tsigwing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsigwing
dlevasseur wrote:Can the Simple.TV device tune analog OTA stations along with the digital OTA stations?

I didn't know there were any analog stations left on the air.

wizwor

tsigwing wrote:I didn't know there were any analog stations left on the air.

There are. Very few, but there are. No the Simple DVR cannot tune these.

tsigwing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsigwing
sracer wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I think that I'll order a Mediasonic DVR... on paper sounds like it will do everything (and then some) that I'm looking for. $37 on Amazon. That's too crazy a price not to try.

Don't forget to supply your hard drive.

Silicondust

tsigwing wrote:I didn't know there were any analog stations left on the air.

There are a few analog low power/translator stations still on the air. Most have already been converted to digital, or at least have plans in the works to convert as funds and engineer availability allow. The FCC has set a final date of September 1, 2015, so they'll either go digital or go dark by then. None of the products from Silicondust or Simple.TV support analog channels.

sracer

tsigwing wrote:Don't forget to supply your hard drive.

thanks! I knew that the hard drive was extra, but I happen to be one of those rare individuals that "just happens to have a spare 1TB passport lying around". :D