jimmer2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimmer2007
jimmer2007 wrote:Ok. Several questions. Sorry.

1. Does it overheat? I want something I can actually set on my lap, even with a blanket.

2. Can the 200 mb be upgraded to say, a paid plan with a tad more? I am a Tupperware Consultant and this would be super for on-site order entry if I don't burn through 100 mg per party.

3. iTunes capable?

4. What happens after 2 years of data? Can I re-purchase, etc?

5. Ease of use with external hard drives/USB/flash data storage, specifically music and photos? Anything similar to a media player at all?

6. How much bloatware?

Sorry for the massive influx of queries!

Oh and does it play DVD/CD?

[MOD: No.]

ericshmerick

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ericshmerick

These are obvious Costco returns.

In for lifetime free 200 megs of data. As in forever. 2028 and such. Smoking deal. Will sell out in a few for those who know what's up. Shh, don't post on deal boards!!

russdog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages russdog
jimmer2007 wrote:Ok. Several questions. Sorry.

1. Does it overheat? I want something I can actually set on my lap, even with a blanket.

Mine never did.

jimmer2007 wrote:2. Can the 200 mb be upgraded to say, a paid plan with a tad more? I am a Tupperware Consultant and this would be super for on-site order entry if I don't burn through 100 mg per party.

Yep. You can do it thru T-Mobile or you can use a sim from one of their competitors if you don't care about the free 200MB/month.

jimmer2007 wrote:3. iTunes capable?

No, but there is a good workaround: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3217385?hl=en

jimmer2007 wrote:4. What happens after 2 years of data? Can I re-purchase, etc?

They changed their policy, now it's forever, not just 2 years.

jimmer2007 wrote:5. Ease of use with external hard drives/USB/flash data storage, specifically music and photos? Anything similar to a media player at all?

It's got USB ports, so using other drives is fine. It's got its own media player built in.

jimmer2007 wrote:6. How much bloatware?

Just a bunch of apps that come with the Chrome OS

russdog

pamtha

quality posts: 14 Private Messages pamtha
ehatfield19 wrote:So if I have wi-fi in my home I'm good to go with this right? My 12 yr old wants a laptop. She's obsessed with minecraft and youtube. Would this be a good deal or no? Help

Nope. Minecraft requires Java, and ChromeOS doesn't run Java. I have the same situation at my house, and I ended up buying a Windows desktop. I had really wanted an excuse to buy a Chromebook, but Minecraft and Roblox (check that out) were requirements.

ultrawolf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ultrawolf

For the 4G, do you have to be in an area covered directly by T-Mobile? I spend a lot of time in an area where their coverage maps shows "service partner" (zip 04554).

ultrawolf

drthomasho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drthomasho

It has NO Ethernet port, but here is how you "fix" that:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobilewireless/23665/chromebook-accessory

Smartings wrote:CNET review says it has Ethernet port. But Woot specs don't mention Ethernet. So does it have Ethernet or not?

robbieglen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robbieglen
trinculo73 wrote:For YouTube it would be great, but as far as I know there's no ChromeOS port for Minecraft, so this'll be no go for that.

We got three of the C-210 Chromebooks f grand kids for Christmas - they play Minecraft and watch YouTube All the time with. No problem or special adjustment to the Chromebook. As long as you have internet connection, this is the best computer for kids, simple to operate, reliable.

ultrawolf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ultrawolf
drthomasho wrote:It has NO Ethernet port, but here is how you "fix" that:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobilewireless/23665/chromebook-accessory

I use this Targus adapter on my Win 8 tablet. It's bulkier but adds ethernet plus a USB hub:

Targus ACH121US

ultrawolf

jimmer2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimmer2007
russdog wrote:Just a bunch of apps that come with the Chrome OS

Awesomesauce. Thanks much.

Woody1

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Woody1

Someone should check with woot on actual carrier compatibility as you cannot use this with AT&T for free. Also there are only certain UPC models that qualify for the lifetime upgrade and it is with T-Mobile only. T-Mobile will require you to have an account with CC as you will be billed if you exceed the 200Mb. Other notes:

Limited time offer; subject to change. Free data avail. every 30 days as long as you own and use registered device on T-Mobile’s network. No roaming allowed. Usage applied first to passes, next to free data, then Mobile Internet allotment. Service starts on date of activation and is not available everywhere. Data connection speed can vary due to location, environment, network conditions, and other factors. See coverage details at www.T-Mobile.com . Use or activation of service is your agreement to T-Mobile’s Terms and Conditions. Available on select SKUs in U.S. only. See www.T-Mobile.com for current rates.

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

stormhit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stormhit
robbieglen wrote:As long as you have internet connection, this is the best computer for kids, simple to operate, reliable.

I'd personally argue that the simplicity of OSs that are entirely devoted to just app launching (chrome, iOS, WinRT) are actually poor choices for kids. They're not really learning anything about technology, just how to consume media. Even if that sounds more obnoxious than I meant it to.

blackac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackac

To anyone with knowledge about the current market of Chromebooks: Is this the best bang for the buck chromebook out now? I've been lurking for a while now, but don't know much about what other chromebooks are out there. For the screen size, memory, and disk space, this seems to be a great deal.

Thoughts?

What about this vs. the Acer C720P?

robinsonjr5238

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robinsonjr5238

I use Postbox as my email client vs. Microsoft Outlook. Postbox is very compatible with my Gmail account. Can I use an email client like Postbox on this device?

floridaphil941

quality posts: 0 Private Messages floridaphil941

To everyone belly aching that it's 'only' 200mb of FREE data....

The idea is you use the Chromebook as a wi-fi tethered device. Just as you would any laptop.

However, because this is a highly portable laptop, when you are not at home, you can still pick up emails, get directions, access files on your Google Drive, NOT play freaking movies.

This is a SCREAMING deal on a great Chromebook.

thomasmcdermott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomasmcdermott

can I connect this to my "wired" printer???

Does downloading PDF's hog up my 200MB's??

russdog

Woody1 wrote:T-Mobile will require you to have an account with CC as you will be billed if you exceed the 200Mb.

They didn't do this a month ago when I set up mine. They gave me a choice re: whether I want to get billed for overage vs. have the service stop until the next month. As I didn't want to be billed for overage, they didn't even ask me for my name, much less my credit card.

When did they change this and start requiring a credit card to use the free service? (Or are you just making this up?)

russdog

shaunlev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaunlev

With the average Web site being slightly over 1MB, you could visit woot 6 times a day for free!

You better get out your wallet to hit up Google search after that though.

russdog

thomasmcdermott wrote:can I connect this to my "wired" printer???

It uses google's Cloud Print, which means it's needlessly a PITA to use with a std. local printer *unless* that printer is hooked up to an internet-connected computer that's running the Chrome browser.

This is the only thing I don't like about Chomebooks-in-general.

If your home computer that's connected to your printer is off, the print job will wait (on google's print servers) until you turn it (and it's Chrome browser) on.

russdog

DrewPBottom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DrewPBottom
russdog wrote:They didn't do this a month ago when I set up mine. They gave me a choice re: whether I want to get billed for overage vs. have the service stop until the next month. As I didn't want to be billed for overage, they didn't even ask me for my name, much less my credit card.

When did they change this and start requiring a credit card to use the free service? (Or are you just making this up?)

This would be great if this is the case. Can anyone else confirm that this is the case? I'd be worried about paying for excess data otherwise. (If a kid played a long YouTube video behind my back, I'd be in the red).

vpierce

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vpierce

I want to replace an old Win XP laptop that my kids use to access certain school related sites, e.g. www.i-ready.com. The site supports the Chrome browser however for the browser settings, it also needs:
javascrapt must be enabled.
Cookies must be enabled.
Pop-up must be allowed for cainc.i-ready.com for teacher reports
In addition, it also needs Adobe Flash Player 10.2.x thru 11.3.x
I'll admit that I haven't tried Chrome and I could install it but I don't know if I'd get an accurate test using Chrome from a Win 7 machine.
Can anyone confirm if these requirements can be meet on a Chromebook? Thanks in advance.

skybay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skybay

I bought this exact model for my daughter for Christmas. The whole family loves it! No-brainer for me. I just bought one at this killer price.

My thoughts...

1. Love that it boots in mere seconds.
2. All my devices are Google and love how they sync flawlessly. (Google Keep has ended the chaos of random scraps of paper to jot down thoughts or make lists)
3. The 4GB DDR3 really keeps things from slowing down.
4. Free mobile data is a plus. If you need more, T-Mo has add-on options on their website (add a week, 2 weeks, month.. something like that?) Never had to give CC to sign up.
5. I like the bigger 14" screen, just right for me.
6. This Chromebook really is sleek, light, and might I say "pretty"!

Hope this helps.. I'm thinking this is def going to sell out!

jimnovator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimnovator

I have an older version of this chromebook running a 1.1 GHz dual core processor, 4 GB ram and 16 GB SSD. Its very competent little machine and I'm using it more than I had anticipated.
If you want to use google docs offline, going into settings and select allow work offline.

I loaded Elementary OS on it, so it can run a light version of Ubuntu at the same time Chrome is running. With that, I can then use LibreOffice, (the replacement for OpenOffice) and work easily with MS Office files. Also, I can load other software from the Ubuntu Software center. Thus, making it a pretty decent lightweight computer.

Another slick feature is I use it to watch Hulu and other web movies on my LCD Samsung tv that doesn't have built in wi-fi. I plug in the hdmi cable and it uses the tv as a display. Never had any issues with slow playback and the image on the TV is awesome.

However, the viewing angle of the screen is horrible! Can anyone inform me as to the quality and viewing angle of this screen?

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
stormhit wrote:I'd personally argue that the simplicity of OSs that are entirely devoted to just app launching (chrome, iOS, WinRT) are actually poor choices for kids. They're not really learning anything about technology, just how to consume media. Even if that sounds more obnoxious than I meant it to.

Yes, because having my kids learn the guts of Windows 7 will be as useful for them in the future as all of my knowledge of DOS is now.

Anybody want to know how to tweek the autoexec.bat file to maximize your free system memory?

Of course when I was actually a kid computers were Delaware sized.

jimnovator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimnovator
skybay wrote:I bought this exact model for my daughter for Christmas. The whole family loves it! No-brainer for me. I just bought one at this killer price.

My thoughts...

1. Love that it boots in mere seconds.
2. All my devices are Google and love how they sync flawlessly. (Google Keep has ended the chaos of random scraps of paper to jot down thoughts or make lists)
3. The 4GB DDR3 really keeps things from slowing down.
4. Free mobile data is a plus. If you need more, T-Mo has add-on options on their website (add a week, 2 weeks, month.. something like that?) Never had to give CC to sign up.
5. I like the bigger 14" screen, just right for me.
6. This Chromebook really is sleek, light, and might I say "pretty"!

Hope this helps.. I'm thinking this is def going to sell out!

Can you give any input regarding the viewing angle of the screen? Can you view it from off-center with clarity?

lloydrj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloydrj

To WOOT Staff: Does this offer qualify for upgrade to free lifetime 4G?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lloydrj wrote:To WOOT Staff: Does this offer qualify for upgrade to free lifetime 4G?

We were told 2 years. Don't know about the rest.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

lloydrj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloydrj
ThunderThighs wrote:We were told 2 years. Don't know about the rest.

Can you provide the SKU for this? Another poster said HP has a list of eligible SKUs on their site

LaughingMan11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LaughingMan11
fiat124 wrote:Where does the sim card go on this chromebook?

When traveling internationally, can I swap it out for a local sim?

Sim slot is on the right side of the device. See the 3rd picture. It's next to USB port #3.

Yes, it should work if you swap the sim for a data sim internationally. The modem isn't locked down.

willnott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willnott
wollern wrote:It almost seems that the data plan alone is worth the c.$200. What am I missing?

Actually the "data plan" of 200 MB / month is almost worthless - firstly it is with T-Moblie. Secondly, it is a MERE 200 MEG - not even enough to cover typical daily emails.
Thirdly, with my current AT&T plan, I get 300 MB at no additional cost, which is about 50 bux for unlimited voice, text, and the 300 MB data....

So, think about it - if you plan on any web surfing via 4G, you will need a much larger chunk of data per month.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lloydrj wrote:Can you provide the SKU for this? Another poster said HP has a list of eligible SKUs on their site

Per the title HP 14-Q063CL. Keep in mind that HP may not list some models if they were special makes for large retailers.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

willnott

DrewPBottom wrote:This would be great if this is the case. Can anyone else confirm that this is the case? I'd be worried about paying for excess data otherwise. (If a kid played a long YouTube video behind my back, I'd be in the red).

Sorry, can't confirm the question related to HP business practices (they DO seem to change too often for my taste) but be aware the "data plan" only applies when one wants to use the device in absence of Wi-Fi. Most typical uses will be connecting over Wi-Fi, as opposed to 4G. HOWEVER, also be aware that 200 MB can be burned through in less than a day of typical web surfing, so it really should be reserved for "emergencies". Sadly no publication, from HP or any re-seller, EVER mentions that aspect....

regassert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages regassert
DrewPBottom wrote:This would be great if this is the case. Can anyone else confirm that this is the case? I'd be worried about paying for excess data otherwise. (If a kid played a long YouTube video behind my back, I'd be in the red).

T-Mobile has NO "overage" charges. Once you burn through whatever "4G" allotment your account has, you just get throttled to 3G.

gimmedem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gimmedem
willnott wrote:Actually the "data plan" of 200 MB / month is almost worthless - firstly it is with T-Moblie. Secondly, it is a MERE 200 MEG - not even enough to cover typical daily emails.
Thirdly, with my current AT&T plan, I get 300 MB at no additional cost, which is about 50 bux for unlimited voice, text, and the 300 MB data....

So, think about it - if you plan on any web surfing via 4G, you will need a much larger chunk of data per month.

okay.. but pair this with a FreedomPop and you get their $500MB/mo on Sprint 3G/4G plus this 200MB/mo on T-Mobile, plus tethering with your mobile device... should be a good little package.

regassert

willnott wrote:Actually the "data plan" of 200 MB / month is almost worthless - firstly it is with T-Moblie. Secondly, it is a MERE 200 MEG - not even enough to cover typical daily emails.

A 250MB/month plan with ATT is $14.99 a month so I fail to see how T-Mobile's 200MB/month for Free is "worthless."

natevo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natevo

I have owned a number of Chromebooks, including this one. This is by far the best Chromebook I have owned. There are a few key things I really like about this laptop:

4GB of RAM I can't overstate how much of a difference this makes to the operation of Chrome. I had two different Chromebooks with a comparable processor but only 2GB of RAM and was continually frustrated with the lag I experienced doing basic things. With 4GB, the problem is entirely gone. This Chromebook does everything it can do fast.

14 inch screen For me the 11 inch screens on the other two Chromebooks I used were just too small. Now this screen is not going to blow you away when you use it. The viewing angles are passable and the resolution is mediocre. But like everything else in this Chromebook, it makes a very good balance between utility and price. It is a very pragmatic tradeoff. Nothing is fantastic, but everything works really well.

Battery Life The battery life is good for a Chromebook. Most Chromebooks expect to be plugged in most of the time. This one will run for quite a while.

Keyboard and Trackpad Due to the larger screen, this Chromebook also has more room for the keyboard. Once again, it's not he best keyboard I've ever used, but it is a great compromise and is certainly better than the keyboard on the Samsung and Acer I had which were just too small for me to use. The trackpad is also very large and is quite responsive.

Data Plan for life I know people are saying this is worthless, etc. but here's the thing. I almost never use this Chromebook away from wireless. If you are often away from WiFi, I would agree that you need a more robust data plan. But the few times I found myself away from wireless, it was really nice to be able to just connect the data and check my email without worrying. It's not for streaming Netflix, the point of it is to hold you over between WiFi hotspots when you need to get something important done. Just like every other feature of this laptop, it's just enough data to be useful but not enough to raise the price significantly.

It won't replace a Windows laptop, but it will do almost everything you need to do on a daily basis.

Remember, you are paying $225. If you don't compare it with other Windows laptops, but instead think about the utility you can get from it I think it is a very good value proposition for many people. It is essentially a portal to the internet. Anything you can do on the internet, this Chromebook will excel at. If you need more than that, this is not for you. But these days, unless you are a power user you can get ALMOST everything you need to get done on the internet.
For around $225 shipped, I think it's a steal. I paid $350 for it and I would do it again.

WLAURENT

quality posts: 7 Private Messages WLAURENT
LaughingMan11 wrote:Sim slot is on the right side of the device. See the 3rd picture. It's next to USB port #3.

Yes, it should work if you swap the sim for a data sim internationally. The modem isn't locked down.

Pretty sure that is an SD card slot next to the ?USB port and not a SIM card slot.

I could not find anything online about where you can change the SIM.

regassert

And I have T-Mobile LTE on my iPad here in Baltimore and it is faster than Verizon's LTE here. It may suck where you are, but people need to assess that on their own. 2014 T-Mobile is a legit player. I feel like you're making your comment based on 2009 T-Mobile.

willnott

thomasmcdermott wrote:can I connect this to my "wired" printer???

Does downloading PDF's hog up my 200MB's??

Typically cannot be connected to a wired printer - must use a Google certified wireless "Chrome compatible" "network" one (even though it has a USB port...).

Downloading PDFs will only burn into your data *if* you are on 4G; if you are on the typical Wi-Fi, the amount of data over 4G will not be affected. But, you are correct that PDFs are huge data hogs, so on 4G you will need to check usage regularly (not sure if T-Moblie has such an app or not, but they should).

willnott

regassert wrote:And I have T-Mobile LTE on my iPad here in Baltimore and it is faster than Verizon's LTE here. It may suck where you are, but people need to assess that on their own. 2014 T-Mobile is a legit player. I feel like you're making your comment based on 2009 T-Mobile.

NOTE - subject to significant change if Sprint does buy T-Mobile!!! (Cannot tell how much change, but you can expect changes.)

gapotter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gapotter

HSPA+ is a MAX download of 14Mbps. It is a crime to call it 4G, but what's done is done. Not a bad price but not a huge fan of HP.