mrglenasmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrglenasmith
mamakin65 wrote:Could someone please tell me exactly how this works? I'm currently with AT&T but am tired of paying the high phone bill each month. Do i just call and cancel with them or what? would like to keep the same number as well. Thanks all!

DO NOT CANCEL your current line!
The way it works is you get the Ooma, set it up with a temp number, and tell Ooma to start the porting process. You can use it with the temp number while the porting takes place. The Telco's have been doing this for a while so they are used to it, once the port takes place, they should stop billing you. Obviously you need to watch your bill and be sure, and as another poster noted, be aware that dumping your phone line may affect any bundled pricing that you may be getting.

If you cancel your current line, your number is released and you are unlikely to get it back.

Glen

copperweb32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages copperweb32
jamina1 wrote:Does a telephone need to be plugged directly into Ooma for it to function, or could I theoretically plug it into the house line in our basement and have it make the rest of the jacks in the house "live"?

Our internet is in our basement so that is where it would need to live.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide

You can plug it into your whole house line. Love mine.

jamina1

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jamina1
mamakin65 wrote:One other quick question. It's no problem to keep current at&t internet service and just drop the home phone then? I'm guessing at&t will let you do that.

As other posters have noted, be careful. Yes, you can get internet without their phone service, but your "contract" might be such that it costs you more money to have only one service.

FINALLY GOT A Bucket of Candycorn ON 9/22/10!

Fofer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Fofer
hitiek wrote:Their web site lies. I checked their site before buying last time I saw this on Woot. It told me I could port my number so I made the purchase. Now, after several weeks of struggle, it turns out that they can not port my number.

I've read numerous reports from folks who have ported their (previously "unportable") number to a cheapie pay-as-you-go cell phone, and then ported that over to Ooma (or Google Voice, as the case may be.)

Either way, I'm not sure I'd hold Ooma responsible if your existing number isn't portable for some reason.

kenbradley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenbradley
jamina1 wrote:Does a telephone need to be plugged directly into Ooma for it to function, or could I theoretically plug it into the house line in our basement and have it make the rest of the jacks in the house "live"?

Our internet is in our basement so that is where it would need to live.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide

Yes, you can plug the main feed line to the rest of the house into the OOMA (make sure you have a std. modular plug on the end, or wire one in). I did that at my Grandmother's house, and it works just fine and every wired extension in the house is "live". Or, you can plug a multi-handset wireless base unit into the OOMA and have 4 easy extensions without wiring (that's what I did at my house)

rangerlg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rangerlg

I got in on Ooma way back in 2008 and paid nearly $200 for my Core unit. It has paid for itself several times over by now and is still going strong. $0 phone bill for 6 years. Hooked my mother up with a Telo from Woot a couple of years ago and she loves it.

hitiek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hitiek
Fofer wrote:I've read numerous reports from folks who have ported their (previously "unportable") number to a cheapie pay-as-you-go cell phone, and then ported that over to Ooma (or Google Voice, as the case may be.)

Either way, I'm not sure I'd hold Ooma responsible if your existing number isn't portable for some reason.

It isn't the fact that my number can't be ported that I feel is their problem. It is the fact that their web site told me that they could port my number, and that turned out to be a lie.

skoper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skoper
i24u wrote:I loved my ooma. Yes I said Loved. Mine did finally die this past weekend after 3 1/2 years as a refurbished unit from woot. Thankfully it was on Saturday and have a new one coming for $99 from ooma.

How long has your ooma lasted? I will never have anything else ooma is well worth it.

I've had a hub and scout since what looks like January 2010. That was for my home office. The fax machine is hooked up to the scout, and although not recommended in that configuration, it worked, up to a point.
We bought the Telo for home use sometime in mid-2012. We had a problem getting our Dect 6.0 cordless phones to ring, and replaced them with an AT&T set.
I've had some calls drop off from time-to-time, but other than that, we're satisfied.
I sure love the ability to block telemarketers and fund raisers--we've had quiet dinners since 2012. Call forwarding, email copies of voicemail, what's not to like?

mrglenasmith

This should be obvious, but I will point it out anyway.

If you are using Ooma (or any other Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP)) service, if the power goes off to your router or the VOIP unit, you no longer have a phone line. Invest in a good battery back up unit that can power your network connection and the VOIP modem.

The Mother-ship has many available, I bought and use an APC BackUPS BR1500G here: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BACK-UPS-10-Outlet-1500VA/dp/B003Y24DEU Be aware that local stores probably have a slightly different version, the BX1500G for around the same price, but this model does not have an input for an extended run battery pack.

jcdinkins

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcdinkins

Power supply has burned out twice. Not buying another one as they are half the price of a refurb ooma. Not sure why these things have the propensity to burn out their power supplies but it happens too much. Read other comments from past woots about the same thing. Buyer beware.

azzuls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azzuls

Currently, I have my phone connected to Vonage router port. Is Ooma works the same way as Vonage? Can I make calls to any phone and anywhere without an Ooma device on the receiving side?
Do I need to pay monthly fee to Ooma to use the device? Who do I pay the phone calls taxes to?
Thank you in advance for your answers.

kenmichelle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kenmichelle

Currently have a landline with AT&T. Thinking of getting an alarm system like ADT or similar. Will Ooma work with alarm systems or do I need to keep my landline? Also have DirecTV and its Genie DVR uses my landline too.

anonyman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anonyman

Ooma gives you a new number to start, but they also allow you to transfer your current phone number anytime. They charge $40 to perform the number transfer, but they do it for free if you buy a year of their Premier service.

I personally bought the Ooma Telo device and tried it for a couple of weeks before porting my number. Ooma says it can take a few weeks to get your number transferred, but it only took 3 or 4 days for me.

If you choose not to transfer your old number, then the new number Ooma provides to you should not be listed in the phone book or "white page" directory websites. I'm not sure what happens if you transfer your old number. In that case, I suspect that your number will stay in any online phone directories in perpetuity unless you request removal. Directory websites would rather list outdated information than no information.

eterbs wrote:So If I get this OOMA, I will need to change my phone number. how will my phone company and my friends and relatives know the new number? I'm assuming it won't be listed in any phone directory. No?

MacTexas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MacTexas

Bought Ooma from WOOT three years ago and I love it. The best part is saving $40 per month compared to my AT&T land line.

jchasan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchasan

anyone know how good this if for fax and analog modem use?

anonyman

A lot of people here are asking basic questions that are answered on the Ooma site.

Most of the questions I'm seeing in this discussion are answered here:
http://ooma.com/how-ooma-works
http://ooma.com/how-ooma-works/features

The Ooma service is nearly identical to Vonage but much cheaper. You can call any phone number in the US or Canada. It has a "normal" phone jack so you can plug any phone system into the unit.

Their Basic service is "free" where you only pay regulatory taxes and fees (about $3-4/month depending on your local area). Their Premier service is $9.99/month and has a bunch of extra features, but you may not need them. I personally got the Premier service because it includes 2 phone lines, so I could separate my home and business numbers.

azzuls wrote:Currently, I have my phone connected to Vonage router port. Is Ooma works the same way as Vonage? Can I make calls to any phone and anywhere without an Ooma device on the receiving side?
Do I need to pay monthly fee to Ooma to use the device? Who do I pay the phone calls taxes to?

mrglenasmith

azzuls wrote:Currently, I have my phone connected to Vonage router port. Is Ooma works the same way as Vonage? Can I make calls to any phone and anywhere without an Ooma device on the receiving side?

Pretty much same as Vonage.

Yes, Ooma eventually hooks into the regular phone system, thus you can call any phone number from an Ooma.

Ooma becomes your phone service provider and thus collects taxes and fees that they presumably send to the guv'mint. Approximately $4-5 dollars a month for the basic service. If you want 'Premier' add $10 a month.
Basic features:
http://ooma.com/products/basic
Premier Features:
http://ooma.com/products/premier

peevedmomm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peevedmomm
cmcdcwoot wrote:Some Qs pls....
- Is there a charge to activate a refurb, vs a new OOMA unit? In one of the past OOMA Woots community comments, someone alluded to that; as well as that you cannot activate the refurb online, and that it has to be called in.

**I had to call mine in to activate - but that was because I had an ooma that died and wanted to replace the device on my account.

- Will the basic package allow for voice mail notification via email; not transcription, just notification?
**Nope. I can access and listen to my voicemail via the computer though, through ooma.com

Thanks

anonyman

Ooma works fine with my alarm system. However, many alarm companies can use cell phone technology instead of a landline. You may want to check out http://simplisafe.com/ which is all cellular based and only costs $14.99/month.

If you need to use the Ooma device to power all of the phone jacks in your house, you need to:

(1) Disconnect your old home phone service at the box that comes into your house. Just open the box and detach your current service provider's inputs. Once you're done, there shouldn't be any dial tone on any phone jack in your house.

(2) Plug a phone cord into your Ooma and into any phone jack in your house. This connects all phone jacks in the house to the Ooma. Then when you pick up any phone, you should have Ooma's dial tone.

If you want to get fancy, you can do these steps too:

(3) Isolate the line in your phone box that the Ooma is plugged into. Then plug this line into the input for the system, i.e. plug it into the terminal that your phone company was using before.

(4) Plug the power for your Ooma and your Internet modem/router into a battery backup so you won't lose phone service during a power outage.

kenmichelle wrote:Currently have a landline with AT&T. Thinking of getting an alarm system like ADT or similar. Will Ooma work with alarm systems or do I need to keep my landline? Also have DirecTV and its Genie DVR uses my landline too.

mrglenasmith

kenmichelle wrote:Currently have a landline with AT&T. Thinking of getting an alarm system like ADT or similar. Will Ooma work with alarm systems or do I need to keep my landline? Also have DirecTV and its Genie DVR uses my landline too.

So - this is where you just have to try it and see. In my setup information I recall it stating that most DVR's can use Ooma, but analog alarm systems are not yet supported. BUUUT, if your current AT&T land-line is plugged into a U-Verse modem, you don't _really_ have an analog line anyway. AT&T's modem may do a better job of emulating an analog line though. Fax isn't a problem.

In this case, you may be better served buying locally at full retail, install the thing and test it out. If it does not work for your application, it will be easy to return, and Woot can sell your returned and refurbished unit in a few months to someone else.

Glen

dloid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dloid

Question and I hope I am not repeating but I am a dummy about the connectivity..So I have wireless internet through ATT. Had a land line I hated and consequently a handyman cut my cord by accident (or was it serendipitous..anyway is the Ooma OK with a wireless system and will I (as an admitted novice) be able to figure it out??) Oh yea I cancelled my landline and never intend to hook it back up. Thanks!

ubermick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ubermick

Big thanks to the community for their positive reviews on this, which convinced me to pull the trigger on one. Was about to snag it direct from Ooma or the mothership, but the current price is $149.99 plus tax and shipping, less a $30 rebate (which I've always had horrible luck with.)

mrglenasmith

dloid wrote:Question and I hope I am not repeating but I am a dummy about the connectivity..So I have wireless internet through ATT.

I suppose it is possible that you have wireless internet via AT&T, but, are you sure? Is this a 3G/4G (ie cellular) system? Do you have any AT&T provided hardware in your house that has an ethernet port available?

My AT&T provided U-Verse modem has wireless and a router built in. See an image here: http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=view&article=766 you may only use wireless, but there are 4 hardwire ethernet ports available in the back which you can plug devices into Ooma, printers, stationary computers, streaming devices...

dloid

mrglenasmith wrote:I suppose it is possible that you have wireless internet via AT&T, but, are you sure? Is this a 3G/4G (ie cellular) system? Do you have any AT&T provided hardware in your house that has an ethernet port available?

My AT&T provided U-Verse modem has wireless and a router built in. See an image here: http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=view&article=766 you may only use wireless, but there are 4 hardwire ethernet ports available in the back which you can plug devices into Ooma, printers, stationary computers, streaming devices...

Ahh YES! mine looks like that! So I can plug this guy into that guy and it works?

mrglenasmith

dloid wrote:Ahh YES! mine looks like that! So I can plug this guy into that guy and it works?

Yes, that's how mine is connected. I did do some configuration in the modem setup that may not be necessary, I've been unsuccessfully trying to re-find the web page with instructions. But many posts indicate that people have had no problems plugging and simply following Ooma instructions.

If you do have multiple internet devices in your house that are currently wirelessly connected, you may be better served buying ethernet patch cables and plugging them in. (If they are close enough that it isn't a PITA.) Wired connections are usually faster and more reliable than wireless.

On the other hand, if what you got ain't borked, not messing with it is ALWAYS a good idea! (Unless you are an Engineer, in which case it just hasn't got enough features!)

Glen

greywing1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greywing1

When you use Ooma (or any other VOIP) do you have to start dialing a "1" and your own area code for local calls or does it know where you are? Someone posted here that you could have a phone number with any area code you want so how would that work?

filmbuffsforum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages filmbuffsforum

Can anybody comment on the difference between getting a Magic Jack vs. an Ooma? I would just want basic service (make calls and get caller ID - I don't use voice mail or any of the other options). Magic Jack seems like it can do the same thing but cheaper one time fee. Any help in making a decision would be greatly appreciated.

guppeeh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages guppeeh

Ummm XXMP is still working.

Lulabelle wrote:I bought because since Google Voice shut the open door to XXMP developers and we had to go with another VoIP vendor to keep using our Obihai device, sound quality has been awful, and everyone I ask says Ooma is the answer.

mechanicsc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mechanicsc

I have some questions for any AT&T customers out there.

I have AT&T landline ($79/mo!!! I live in a weird area where a call 2 miles away is a long-distance call) and AT&T DSL service. I am interested in dropping the landline but keeping the DSL.

Has anyone in the forum gone through this, and if so are there any pointers/watchouts I need to be on the lookout for?

Is the "porting process" automatic i.e. if I tell ooma to port my AT&T number, does that automatically cut off my landline?

If so, does that leave DSL alone?

I'm concerned about DSL getting dropped because my RDSLAM is full and if my DSL gets cut off, I might not be able to get it back (there's a waiting list to get on it, there are no other broadband options where I live).

I'm not too worried about the DSL increasing in price (it would have to double to hit the $79 I'm paying for landline currently)

Thanks in advance for any help the brain trust can give me on this.

mrglenasmith

greywing1 wrote:When you use Ooma (or any other VOIP) do you have to start dialing a "1" and your own area code for local calls or does it know where you are? Someone posted here that you could have a phone number with any area code you want so how would that work?

My area went to 10 digit dialing a while back. For local calls (same area code) I need to dial AAA-XXX-NNNN, no leading 1. For long distance, I'm fairly sure, I need to dial the leading 1, but that may not even be necessary as the phone system gets more intelligent.

Picking an area code is an odd thing. If you spring for Premier, you can even get 2 different area codes for your 2 lines. Some people report doing this to choose the lowest possible taxes - but this is frowned on by the authorities. Ooma asks for your actual address both for 911 coverage as well as an attempt to preclude avoiding taxes.

Some people use the area code to help frequent contacts from having to pay long distance. Say if you have family (parents or a kid away at school) in another state with a Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) line. Calling your current local home number is a long distance call and they get charged accordingly. If you get an Ooma number with an area code that matches theirs, it is a 'local' free call. Don't try to figure this out, that's just the way it works.
Glen

jonboykayaks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonboykayaks
Lulabelle wrote:I bought because since Google Voice shut the open door to XXMP developers and we had to go with another VoIP vendor to keep using our Obihai device, sound quality has been awful, and everyone I ask says Ooma is the answer.

It was probably just your voip provider. I use Obihai devices in several buildings using callcentric.com as the provider and the call quality is just as good as a pots(plain old telephone service).

bikeboil

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bikeboil

What is the warranty and return policy of this refurbished unit? Since it wasn't working right to begin with.

jonboykayaks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonboykayaks
greywing1 wrote:When you use Ooma (or any other VOIP) do you have to start dialing a "1" and your own area code for local calls or does it know where you are? Someone posted here that you could have a phone number with any area code you want so how would that work?

I use a different device made by Obihai but it works just like a ooma. You just have to tell the device what area code you are in and then you can do 7 digit calling. You can get a phone number from anywhere in the country or port yours.

mrglenasmith

filmbuffsforum wrote:Can anybody comment on the difference between getting a Magic Jack vs. an Ooma? I would just want basic service (make calls and get caller ID - I don't use voice mail or any of the other options). Magic Jack seems like it can do the same thing but cheaper one time fee. Any help in making a decision would be greatly appreciated.

I looked into MagicJack for a while, and our church had it as well. Internet reports are that as long as you have no problems and want to keep the service going, everything is fine. If you need help or - Heavens Forbid - want to terminate the service, good luck getting assistance. I have heard of people having to terminate credit cards in order to stop magic-jack recurring bills stopped. 'Personal' experience at church was that any changes in billing or primary points of contact were excruciatingly difficult to push through.

To be fair, I have not needed any support from Ooma, and there are posts here that claim support is not strong.
Glen

teresa56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teresa56

I am curious as to how much you are all paying for high-speed Internet service. When I factor in that cost without phone service the savings aren't nearly as dramatic. Thanks.

kemalwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kemalwo

I am surprised that Ooma seems to work w/ Google Voice but Obihai does not anymore. Is Ooma using a different interface?

kb

snake1924

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snake1924
filmbuffsforum wrote:Can anybody comment on the difference between getting a Magic Jack vs. an Ooma? I would just want basic service (make calls and get caller ID - I don't use voice mail or any of the other options). Magic Jack seems like it can do the same thing but cheaper one time fee. Any help in making a decision would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with above. I had same question when investigating. Go with Ooma as I did. Quality of websites will tell you everything you need to know. Ooma experience is quality from top to bottom. Magic Jack website and reviews are shaky...at best.

bricom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bricom

I've had the old version of the Ooma device for probably 4 or 5 years now and its still going strong. Good quality, no issues. Even easier than connecting to the wall jack is plug your wireless base unit into the Ooma and you're done. Put the handsets wherever. Have messages emailed and you never have to touch the base at all.

kenmichelle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kenmichelle

Good to know that lots of older units are still out there and working. Is there any difference between the unit available for this woot and the current offering on the Ooma website for $149?

dloid

mrglenasmith wrote:Yes, that's how mine is connected. I did do some configuration in the modem setup that may not be necessary, I've been unsuccessfully trying to re-find the web page with instructions. But many posts indicate that people have had no problems plugging and simply following Ooma instructions.

If you do have multiple internet devices in your house that are currently wirelessly connected, you may be better served buying ethernet patch cables and plugging them in. (If they are close enough that it isn't a PITA.) Wired connections are usually faster and more reliable than wireless.

On the other hand, if what you got ain't borked, not messing with it is ALWAYS a good idea! (Unless you are an Engineer, in which case it just hasn't got enough features!)

Glen

Thanks Glen, you sold me!