cfrahm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cfrahm

I have one with 32gig. I love it. It is faster on the Internet than a regular computer. It boots and shuts down in a less than 15 seconds.

However, there are some programs that run off line, but pretty much everything is in the cloud. There are no built in programs like paint or solitaire. You have to run cloud programs for that.

There is no virus protection or malware, you don't need it. Just reboot it. If you put in Linux, then you will have malware and need something like Clam.

There are no print drivers. Trendnet usb to RJ45 will allow you to connect to a wired network.

All apps are in the Chrome store which is about as populated as Microsoft store for the RT. However graphics of the apps is not great. Also general graphics are alittle weak and glare can be an issue with the screen so you have to tilt it at times to get the best view.

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark

BTW, for the privacy minded, chromebooks do have settings options for vpns and you can use it in guest mode without signing into your account. For offline use, you need to sign-in to use most of the apps unless you change the settings to allow offline use in guest-mode (same for vpn). FYI, guest mode is basically the same as incognito mode.

skier1276

quality posts: 7 Private Messages skier1276

I'm posting from this exact unit right now. It's a great replacement to our old Win XP desktop. It boots up from a cold start in under 10 seconds. For most people, this will be just a fine device. Unless you're doing some complex Word docs or Excel, the Google suite is good.

T-Mobile gives you an account and you can check on your data use as needed. We mostly use this on wifi, but use by cell has been pretty impressive when we have tried it out. I don't believe it roams. I think it just connects to T-Mobile.

Chrome has plenty extensions. I use a weather one, ad blocker, Google Cast and an app to view my Foscams.

Previously, I was looking into a C720. But this unit has a bigger screen and the free data. Better deal IMHO.

jborourke

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jborourke

I'm writing this from the 16GB version I purchased a couple weeks ago. I haven't yet set up a full Linux or Windows version on an SD card or external drive, but with two 3.0 USB ports, I'm leaning toward the external drive idea.

For now, just using it as a netbook, it's been fantastic. I've edited google docs offline, and done nearly all my web browsing on it since getting it. It plays Netflix fine, with a decent to good screen. It just doesn't get hot, unlike most of my other laptop devices, and the battery life is as good as people say.

There are all kinds of limitations to netbooks, but if they bother you, don't buy one. If you are aware of them, and still find a netbook useful, you can do a lot worse than spend $200 on one of these, because this one holds a fair promise of going beyond those limits if you have some technical savvy.

mas90guru

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mas90guru

Bought one last round. No problems setting up T-Mobile data. Love the design. Seriously contemplating another one for my kids.

cfrahm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cfrahm

It has some built in office items like wp, spreadsheet, presentation, but not fancy. Note: public schools have bought 1 million chromebooks because they are so easy to support and have a good cost. Bipolar Microsoft wants you to move to the cloud, but is attacking Chromebooks a cloud book. Not the first thing Microsoft is bipolar about - Windows 8 has two different windows explorers. [

quote postid="5906061" user="morninglark"]I used to own a chrome book and regret replacing it with a net book.
However, if you want to run any offline external programs don't get a chromebook. You can use a chromebook offline but it's limited to a handful of apps. But yes, you can connect via wifi and you can use any online programs.

They do start up quickly with few problems and is the reason I regret the net book. I've ended up using my older laptop for offline work anyway so this looks tempting.

If your kid is connected most of the time and doesn't use many offline programs, then this may work. Make sure you go over his google privacy settings with him/her. Once you sign into Google these days, you sign into everything-- email, Google+, Google drive! Etc.[/quote]

cybercpa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cybercpa
HotFusionMan wrote:No idea, but the program's page at HP is http://hp.com/go/freemobility , maybe that'll lead you to an answer.

Thanks! "No roaming" explicitly stated. Great for urban areas - lousy for travel. Won't work in my house either!

mrjoewood

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mrjoewood

I just ordered my second one (white 32GB), since my oldest has taken the teal 16GB I bought here a few weeks ago.

The build quality is *outstanding* at this price point, and actually really good at any price point. It's a very solid device.

Apps are, well, web apps, so mostly you need to be online, but you can use media files (movies, PDF files, music, etc.) on the local drive or via the USB slots, even when flying. Battery life is fantastic - 7+hours with typical use.

T-Mobile setup was easy-peasy. I upgraded to the 1GB/mo plan simply so she can use it to do homework, but you absolutely don't need to use cellular, and even if you don't expect to, set up the free plan. It's... free. Why not have it there, just in case? Sure, it's not a lot of data, but that time you need to access email and the wifi isn't working (power outage, say), it's worth it. And, again: free.

I'm going to set up multiple booting options on the new one (played with them on this), and, given how easy it is (just follow the steps online), it's a great way to get additional offline functionality and turn this into a more powerful system.

That said, as long as you're online - and most of us can be, most places, most of the time - this is a great system even if you never modify anything about it. I was very pleasantly surprised, and I own a couple of older Chromebooks as well.

Get one before they're sold out again.

woodey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woodey

I bought one a few weeks ago...I like the Chromebook...the SSD is smoking fast I am a 50 plus year old guy playing with newer technology for the first time...AKA the Cloud...pretty easy to set up
I will primarily use it with wifi but having the little bit of 4g is nice if you need it while traveling
My Kid is a Intern at Google this year so I thought I would get this to see what it was all about and I see it replacing my Dell Laptop....

beresh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beresh

Do you get the free 100 GB of google storage for 2 years? Or is that not available since it is factory reconditioned?

malveaux

quality posts: 3 Private Messages malveaux

I got one last time and really love it. I was blown away when I discovered a Chrome remote desktop application that lets me access my desktop in my office from my Chromebook in the family room. I could indeed load up MS Office in a remote desktop. So it isn't exactly 'no way' in regards to running MS Office applications or any other applications. All in all, this toy is quite fun!

byrdvt wrote:Hmm, thinking about getting one of these for my 4th grader. I imagine they can use WiFi and not use up the 200MB data, correct? Also, I suppose there is no way to use MS Office on this thing? This can download play games/apps; sounds like a good deal for a kiddo, no?

brancwp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brancwp

It will not run any exe files so don't plan on loading anything! It also will not run many web based games or sites. I got one for my 13 year old son last time...and 30 mintues of playing with he - he claimed it was fish-like and was back on mine. It will not run Minecraft or RoBlocks...or some of the other tools and apps I like to use. If you want to use it for Wiki, Youtube, or the Chrome office products only then it is good. Or if mayby you plan to install Linux.

donniehall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donniehall

Great deal for a 14" Chromebook. I bought mine last time this was offered. However, the Turquoise is not the color shown in the photos on this site. It is a very much brighter blue-green than depicted. The photo from Best Buy's site is much more accurate:

I can't speak to the accuracy of the other colors shown here. Otherwise I am very happy with the purchase.

bmartinftl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmartinftl

I got one of these last time. nice for surfing, and emails.

on the Tmobile deal, I got an email about a week after it arrived from woot, saying it would be 200mb lifetime. and ignore the statements otherwise.

yesterday I signed up with tmobile and the license said 1 year.

(I didn't provide any credit card info, or data other than a gmail email. so I guess then can't charge me for overages.)

I'm still confused on how long this will last...

my main reason for my purchase was the 3g/4g...

ripprsoul

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ripprsoul

A few notes about Chromebooks:

To print, you'll need to use Google Cloud Print (http://www.google.com/cloudprint). It works with most modern networked printers and is easy to set up. If you use an older printer, a stationary PC mapped to your preferred printers can run Google's standalone Cloud Print app, allowing your Chromebook to print to any printer that the PC can print to.

Since these are refurbs, some of them will end up qualifying for Google's promotions (free 100GB of Drive space for 2 years, 12 in-flight data coupons), while others will not qualify. It seems to be a crap shoot, based on whether the previous owner ever registered the hardware or not.

Google recently announced that some Android apps will be coming to Chromebooks, as well as the ability to sync data between Android devices and Chromebooks.
http://www.androidcentral.com/chrome-os-and-android-get-cozy-app-integration-cross-platform-syncing

The RAM is not upgradable, but 4GB is enough for ChromeOS to run smoothly, even when streaming HD video.

The lifetime 200mb monthly 4G access is only on T-Mobile's network. It will not do data roaming. A full sized SIM card will come with the Chromebook's paperwork. When you sign up to activate the free 200mb/month deal, they DO NOT require that you enter any payment information, thus there's no way for T-Mobile to charge any hidden fees. The service simply works until you hit 200mb, then it stops working until the next monthly cycle (with an option to buy more data for the month, in which case they will obviously be asking you for some cc info). This data plan does not qualify for T-Mobile's free music streaming.

From a security standpoint, it should be noted that Chromebooks cannot currently be locked or wiped remotely. Google is working on that ability, and it has popped up in some recent developer builds of Chrome OS, but is not publicly available at this time.

Chromebooks support IPSec VPN connections, and there are a couple decent free RDP apps in the Chrome store if you need to remotely access a business network. There is also Chrome Remote Desktop, which can be installed on any computer (Windows or Mac), which then allows you to remotely connect to that computer (using a PIN set by you) from wherever you are, with no need for a VPN connection.

As long as you're familiar with using Chrome and have a Google account, there's basically no learning curve. If you can do it in Chrome, then you can do it on a Chromebook. These models use the Haswell generation of Celeron processors, which make these Chromebooks lightning fast to use. The battery life is also as good as advertised

badnewsbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badnewsbear
beresh wrote:Do you get the free 100 GB of google storage for 2 years? Or is that not available since it is factory reconditioned?

Yes, you do get the 100GB extra Google Drive space, even though it's a refurb. You will need this link: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/goodies.html

to register for it.

aar0npjaeger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aar0npjaeger

The new standards for Chrome Apps are going to be that they must all function to some extent offline. Things are changing quickly.

morninglark wrote:I used to own a chrome book and regret replacing it with a net book.
However, if you want to run any offline external programs don't get a chromebook. You can use a chromebook offline but it's limited to a handful of apps. But yes, you can connect via wifi and you can use any online programs.

They do start up quickly with few problems and is the reason I regret the net book. I've ended up using my older laptop for offline work anyway so this looks tempting.

If your kid is connected most of the time and doesn't use many offline programs, then this may work. Make sure you go over his google privacy settings with him/her. Once you sign into Google these days, you sign into everything-- email, Google+, Google drive! Etc.

Thinkerer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Thinkerer

Got one of the bottom-price ones last time around based on reviews that it's a great road/work/home browser/email device, and it is. Battery life is amazing*, instant-on and very user-friendly. T-Mobile signup is a snap and doesn't require anything more than creating an account, though I don't use it much since I work in a sea of WiFi. It's become my "bring to a meeting" platform, even if it is cutesy turquoise blue.

For me this is the upper end of the Google/Android/Chrome ecosystem. Think of it as a whopping big phone/tablet with a keyboard rather than a touch screen and you'll be close to the mark. Hardware side is very, very good**.

Google's "Office" clones are....okay, but I don't think I'd want to try and write the Great American Novel on one (though it would certainly be possible). Academic papers (footnotes, illustrations, charts etc.) not so much. Given the trajectory of apps/software for the Android/Google space I think this will improve by leaps and bounds.

Netflix, Facebook etc. etc. are all great. Lots of other fun stuff for free in Google Play as well - I really like it. Good for opining on Woot at the breakfast table too ;-).

Hint: Hit ctrl/alt/shift and ? all at once to get the keyboard map.

* I'm old enough to remember Manhattan phone book sized laptops that would run about two hours on a charge...this thing goes all day. I know, I know..."What's a phone book?". Sheesh...

** Would it have killed them to put in a "Delete" key? You have to use Alt-Backspace.

wellrested

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wellrested
LemonAtty wrote:Sorry to hear this. That should be a pretty simple thing to rectify. I'm out. Now all I need is someone to volunteer to be class rep...

Nooo nononono... I've had this system for a few months, purchased here as a refurb, and it was all up & running within about five minutes. I'm sorry that the other person had an issue, but I believe it's an isolated or nearly-isolated one. $200 for a machine with excellent build quality, free 4G (even the option of a 4G radio) etc. etc. is a good deal, esp. when you can dump Linux on it in a half-hour and dual-boot. Hotswap, one keystroke. It's geek-sexy, I get all the internet I can eat, and can then go play a great many games in Linux (Thanks Haswell!)

daneyuleb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daneyuleb

It looks like this has a stupid power brick and proprietary adapter, unlike the HP 11 which uses USB and can be charged from your Micro USB phone charger. For a lightweight, portable device, having to lug around a single-task power adapter is deal breaker for me.

wellrested

ripprsoul wrote:A few notes about Chromebooks:

To print, you'll need to use Google Cloud Print (http://www.google.com/cloudprint). It works with most modern networked printers and is easy to set up. If you use an older printer, a stationary PC mapped to your preferred printers can run Google's standalone Cloud Print app, allowing your Chromebook to print to any printer that the PC can print to.

Since these are refurbs, some of them will end up qualifying for Google's promotions (free 100GB of Drive space for 2 years, 12 in-flight data coupons), while others will not qualify. It seems to be a crap shoot, based on whether the previous owner ever registered the hardware or not.

Google recently announced that some Android apps will be coming to Chromebooks, as well as the ability to sync data between Android devices and Chromebooks.
http://www.androidcentral.com/chrome-os-and-android-get-cozy-app-integration-cross-platform-syncing

The RAM is not upgradable, but 4GB is enough for ChromeOS to run smoothly, even when streaming HD video.

The lifetime 200mb monthly 4G access is only on T-Mobile's network. It will not do data roaming. A full sized SIM card will come with the Chromebook's paperwork. When you sign up to activate the free 200mb/month deal, they DO NOT require that you enter any payment information, thus there's no way for T-Mobile to charge any hidden fees. The service simply works until you hit 200mb, then it stops working until the next monthly cycle (with an option to buy more data for the month, in which case they will obviously be asking you for some cc info). This data plan does not qualify for T-Mobile's free music streaming.

From a security standpoint, it should be noted that Chromebooks cannot currently be locked or wiped remotely. Google is working on that ability, and it has popped up in some recent developer builds of Chrome OS, but is not publicly available at this time.

Chromebooks support IPSec VPN connections, and there are a couple decent free RDP apps in the Chrome store if you need to remotely access a business network. There is also Chrome Remote Desktop, which can be installed on any computer (Windows or Mac), which then allows you to remotely connect to that computer (using a PIN set by you) from wherever you are, with no need for a VPN connection.

As long as you're familiar with using Chrome and have a Google account, there's basically no learning curve. If you can do it in Chrome, then you can do it on a Chromebook. These models use the Haswell generation of Celeron processors, which make these Chromebooks lightning fast to use. The battery life is also as good as advertised

I'd like to back up everything outlined above, as it's all quite true. In the Chromebook world, this thing hits performance-for-cost head-on.

Add into this that you can easily install Linux, and hot-swap your OS on the fly. Steam runs; I've confirmed good benchmarks on Minecraft, Portal, & HL2. Supposedly will play a number of other low-requirement games as well. Terraria runs great through Crossover - a few minor bugs, but that's because you're running a Windows program in Linux >.<

I love this laptop, and would have been happy with it at $320 and without Linux. $220 + Linux and why aren't you buying?

Jordbaer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Jordbaer

Here's some information on free data from T-mobile. HP Chromebook 14 is one of the devices eligible for the offer.
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700

eh1982

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eh1982

would this be a good device to use for manipulating my ebay business pages, building/editing the html to manage listings etc.

I mean that's all done in a browser but is there anything different with the functionality of the browser vs a desktops version of the chrome browser?

Everyone's saying it's like a high functioning tablet, well using a tablet is a nightmare to use with ebays webpages.

So again, I guess the question is would you recommend this device to use to manage an ebay store.

wellrested

brancwp wrote:It will not run any exe files so don't plan on loading anything! It also will not run many web based games or sites. I got one for my 13 year old son last time...and 30 mintues of playing with he - he claimed it was fish-like and was back on mine. It will not run Minecraft or RoBlocks...or some of the other tools and apps I like to use. If you want to use it for Wiki, Youtube, or the Chrome office products only then it is good. Or if mayby you plan to install Linux.

Runs Minecraft quite well, just install a Linux partition. Takes about 45 min. if you don't know what you're doing -- 20 of that is downloading the needed files. Google Minecraft on a Chromebook and it'll pop right up.

wellrested

eh1982 wrote:would this be a good device to use for manipulating my ebay business pages, building/editing the html to manage listings etc.

I mean that's all done in a browser but is there anything different with the functionality of the browser vs a desktops version of the chrome browser?

Should be just fine; I have not noticed any difference b/t Windows Chrome & ChromeOS Chrome.

Note that it's very easy to install Linux and use other software as well.

wellrested

wootDawg wrote:I was going to pounce on this for my children who outgrew their desktop and are always on my or my wife's laptop.

That is until I saw "HP" in the header.

Headache of a Product.

Never again!

When did HP give you a headache? From the reviews I've read and my experience with this model, HP has been making great strides in terms of build quality in the last 2 or so years. I know my model is very solid.

njlad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages njlad

am on mine now...have had it since the last time it was up here.

I have a a desktop PC but this was acquired so that I can use it while doing genealogy research while not home.

It is light weight, fast and the battery life is very good. While home, I use my wifi but have signed up for the Tmobile deal. I have no need to stream videos so the limitations of their deal is not an issue. But you can opt to purchase a month of data - which I will do when I travel.

As for software, I have used google mail for years so I am very comfortable using their tools, docs and drive and such. I gave up on the Office Suite of software years ago [use open office which is free].

So far I have not found a single thing I miss. And I have not been forced to run into the other room and fire up the desktop PC. This has worked GREAT!

ripprsoul

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ripprsoul
eh1982 wrote:would this be a good device to use for manipulating my ebay business pages, building/editing the html to manage listings etc.

Everyone's saying it's like a high functioning tablet, well using a tablet is a nightmare to use with ebays webpages.

So again, I guess the question is would you recommend this device to use to manage an ebay store.

I use it for my ebay pages, and there is no difference in functionality between this and Chrome on a Windows machine.

njlad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages njlad
Thinkerer wrote:
Hint: Hit ctrl/alt/shift and ? all at once to get the keyboard map.

* I'm old enough to remember Manhattan phone book sized laptops that would run about two hours on a charge...this thing goes all day. I know, I know..."What's a phone book?". Sheesh...

** Would it have killed them to put in a "Delete" key? You have to use Alt-Backspace.

Right? this is my lone beef...I would give up one ALT key for a DEL key ;)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

IMPORTANT NOTE

The box contains outdated literature referring to 2 Years of Free 4G service. However, all models were upgraded to Lifetime 4G service.

PRO TIP: For the Lifetime 4G, do not add it to your existing account. Open a new account. As an alternative HP support may be able to send you a SIM.

Edit: Wooter below says HP doesn't have SIMs.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

http://www.ibtimes.com/t-mobile-phone-scam-overcharged-customers-hundreds-millions-while-company-profited-ftc-1616952

The above,plus the idea that Google sucks up everything you do via their "free" apps, troubles me.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

eraten

quality posts: 13 Private Messages eraten
mweav6387 wrote:I got the turquoise 16gb model the last time this was offered. Very sleek machine and I get tons of compliments on it. I have installed a side by side linux as well as having set up a virtual machine on a 64gb sd card for all my windows needs.

Surprised to see how far Linux has come since its early elitist code days.

Would recommend for anyone who needs stellar battery life for any type of applications you may need.

Performs like an ultrabook at 1/5-1/10th the cost.

Personally I only use it indoors so I keep the brightness down low but my battery lasts about 9 hours with linux running and almost 11 hours with just browser usage.

Great purchase - no regrets.

You just sold me. In for 1!

chrisfrost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisfrost
dtherio wrote:Does anyone know if you can upgrade the SSD on this unit?

Thanks

I believe the answer to this is, "yes." I put a 120 gig ssd in a similar machine after backing-up the chrome os for transfer. It upgraded, but not easily, maybe a 15 minute job if you are comfortable breaking devices like this into components. There's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV1LMDsga60

itsallnoise2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsallnoise2me

Got this deal a couple weeks ago from woot and I love it. Can't beat this price and my unit was in great condition. I was able to get the free 100GB from google for 2 years no problem (though I think it depends on previous user) Lifetime 4G as stated, no CC required. For guys, I would suggest getting the white model, I got the Aqua and it is very bright. I installed Ubuntu on it using instructions off cnet. It's nice that it can run both OS's at the same time. Also, I bought a PNY 64GB SDXC Elite Performance UHS-1 to add some storage, works well and was only $35.

wootDawg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootDawg
wellrested wrote:When did HP give you a headache?

I cannot remember the model of the laptop but years ago but I believe it was an HP Pavillion of some sorts.

The wireless card failed on me some time after I purchased it. I had to go through HELL to get their off-shored customer service people to do something. After several days of calling I finally got someone state side who sent me a brand new laptop.

Then a year later it's wireless card stopped working. I gave up on it and used a wireless USB card until I finally sold it on eBay.

HP builds great printers. From my personal experience, not so much with laptops.

insightgoalie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages insightgoalie
HotFusionMan wrote:Thanks! Guess I'll be ditching Chrome OS for Ubuntu -- once I get the SIM card mine shipped without. Seems the way to go is take the machine to a T-Mobile store. HP Support has been useless, and woot only just acknowledged that my situation is a known one and that they're working with their vendor on a solution.

No, it isn't ditching, it is chroot'ing. ChromeOS still runs and Ubuntu runs inside of it. They're running on the system at the same time both using the same kernel. If you have it running you can actually press alt+control+forward/backward to switch between the OSes in real time.

Raid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Raid

I bought the 4gb RAM 32g version a few weeks ago and have been nothing but pleased. I also have a work laptop with full Windows 7 Pro and a Nexus 10, but find myself gravitating to the Chromebook. You do have to rethink how you work a little and printing "can" be a challenge, but not too tough. But, the machine is fast and the battery life was MUCH better than expected. BTW, the 4g for life is just a bonus. Have not used too much, but when I did need it, it connected perfectly and is very quick. Not a lot of data, but there is no way to over run. So it seems you are protected from extra charges.

HotFusionMan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HotFusionMan
ThunderThighs wrote:IMPORTANT NOTE

PRO TIP: For the Lifetime 4G, do not add it to your existing account. Open a new account. As an alternative HP support may be able to send you a SIM.

I opened an HP support case because no SIM is present in what was shipped to me. It was immediately escalated to the Case Manager level (presumably because I mentioned that the retailer [woot] always sells out and thus probably would not have any inventory from which to offer an exchange). They don't carry SIM cards, as HP is not a wireless phone service provider. I've had the flu for a week and only just last night read the comments here saying that T-Mobile has been honoring the promotion in many cases, so I haven't had a chance to take the Chromebook down to the local T-Mobile store to request the SIM from them.

thomasz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thomasz

Is the power plug standard (with the charge voltage) so standard universal chargers work? Or is this something hard to find?

wellrested

wootDawg wrote:

HP builds great printers. From my personal experience, not so much with laptops.

I was doing a lot of research as to which Chromebook to buy (Acer C720 vs. HP 14 vs. Dell 11). The decideing factor for me was the 4 GB of RAM in the HP 14, but I had the same concerns about build quality. Browsing through a great many forums, I saw several references to the improved build quality in the past few years.

While I can't speak to the components (other than to say I haven't had any issues), I know that the build is excellent. There is no hinge-flexing, the keyboard is quite good (plenty of key travel, nearly as good as my old Macbook). The touchpad is great, excepting that the physical click is a bit strange... can only press the bottom half or so of the pad, and it requires pressing rather too hard. Never really bothers me as I'm fine with tapping rather than clicking. If you're looking for a lappie for the kids, a compliment to your desktop, etc. etc., then this is as good a deal as you'll find. Six months from now, they will be a little cheaper as the newest generation becomes more common, but I wouldn't wait. If you want to spend the other $100 you can have one of the vanguard of the new ones, but I believe the only real difference is a slightly better processor and many have the 4GB of RAM vs. the 2 GB standard today -- note that this model does have the 4GB.