opsouth

quality posts: 3 Private Messages opsouth
ksavage68 wrote:Well said, mate. I am a HP tech of many years (22) and all this is correct. I have the 17 Pavilion g7 model and its a winner. Just wanted to add a little about the touchpad. Only buy a windows laptop that has separate buttons for the pad, they can't copy Apples pad for crap, you'll thank me later. This laptop seems to be a great deal and the red is awesome. Jump on it guys!

I have two 17 Pavilion g7's and love them. Each has their own unique personality.

Jessara

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jessara
eika wrote:With all due respect, lots of your 'wants' and 'needs' are way off base-- speaking as a current grad school student, and recent college graduate. Online learning isn't for everyone; more than half the people I know took one online class and avoided them the rest of their college career.
... but will settle for lots of places to plug in and charge on the go (libraries and common areas tend to have plenty of available spots, and most classrooms have at least one).
... We used headphones, not speakers. 3/4 of the school, in a survey, did not use MSOffice; we used free alternatives. And macs were almost nonexistent....public/private schools (I'm speaking about a state university) or schools in different parts of the country (New England, United States), then while your post is useful... it's not the be-all end-all.

Schools have suggestions for essential systems requirements for exactly this reason. After I retired, I went Bach to School (That is NOT what I wrote, Wootbot is creative today) at a state university (free tuition) last year; I'm in it for the classes, not the social aspect. I was very familiar with MS Office, and it or a free alternative is the default format for class submissions. Macs are a rarity. Online classes, registration, school communication, and library/database research all require a machine with minimal memory and a so-so processor. Only graphics and art classes require more than basic video capability, except that large screens are easier on the eyes. All schools distribute free security and/or antimalware, and ebook platforms are free also. Since I don't live on campus, battery life and ability to play movies on the machine are not relevant; I have yet to find a class which requires more than YouTube capability, and audio/music classes work better with headphones than speakers.

genesound

quality posts: 0 Private Messages genesound

The generation gap is alive and well....

brianhclark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianhclark

I'm arguing with the state school right now about the laptop requirement for my son's Electronic Media course.
They are requiring a NEW model MacBook PRO. That's a $2500 investment....

Never having owned anything Apple, I'm certainly hesitant to lay out that kind of cash.

I need a new computer myself, and I would be THRILLED with this one. I can't even imagine what a Mac offers that's worth the difference.

I just realized the AIO desktop I'm using right now to run my business is from 2007, bought refurbed. And yes, I want to toss it out the window on a regular basis, but it's still running.

Woot-Off Lights,Fuze Black 2GB MP3,5-Handset Cordless Phone,Sansa View 8GB MP3,5 Outlet PowerSquid,4GB Micro SD,2GB MicroSD,Window Thermometer,H500 Bluetooth Headset,BT-350 Bluetooth Headset,512MB Ultra II SD Plus,4 Handset Phone,Contact Grill,Emergency Roadside Kit,Laser Parking Sensor,SanDisk 256 MB MP3,Random hernia: 2006 Calendar

panthiest

quality posts: 17 Private Messages panthiest
Jessara wrote:Schools have suggestions for essential systems requirements for exactly this reason. After I retired, I went Bach to School (That is NOT what I wrote, Wootbot is creative today) at a state university (free tuition) last year; I'm in it for the classes, not the social aspect. I was very familiar with MS Office, and it or a free alternative is the default format for class submissions. Macs are a rarity. Online classes, registration, school communication, and library/database research all require a machine with minimal memory and a so-so processor. Only graphics and art classes require more than basic video capability, except that large screens are easier on the eyes. All schools distribute free security and/or antimalware, and ebook platforms are free also. Since I don't live on campus, battery life and ability to play movies on the machine are not relevant; I have yet to find a class which requires more than YouTube capability, and audio/music classes work better with headphones than speakers.

Many higher level chemistry classes require a decent processor.

edit: and I just noticed this is yesterday's woot... I need to start closing tabs when I'm done with them.

scottyb119

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottyb119

Does anyone know what (if any) docking station could be used with this laptop?

dynadom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dynadom

I bought this, I'm using it now. The touchpad is a PIECE OF S*** WOOT Screwed me again

250Coupe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 250Coupe

Anyboby get a viable tracking number yet?
Mine "shipped" on the 23rd but tracking still says not found.