msneary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msneary

An open letter to woot, wooters, and Amazon.
A little background... I was a loyal wooter for several years. I spent thousands on woot, buying multiple items each week from woot.com, shirt.woot.com and sellout.woot.com. I probably introduced 60 or 70 people to woot and routinely recommended it to total strangers when they would comment on my newest PC accessory, my Zune, my backpack, t-shirt, tools, etc. But then I'd occasionally have a problem with a purchase. I'd politely email customer service and get an automated reply to the effect that they would get back to me in short order. Except they NEVER got back to me.
I tolerated the occasional order that didn't go through due to poor programming or shoddy infrastructure administration by woot's employees. But the frequency of their gaffs only increased, as did my dissatisfaction. Finally, during a wootoff in December 2008, they had woot lights! I had to have those! I dutifully entered all my info to buy 2 sets, but the transaction wouldn't go through. Here I was trying to buy a symbol of my devotion to woot, and still getting the shaft. That was it! I emailed customer service, still politely, but demanding they rectify this injustice. They OWED me those sets of lights. They could charge my card; the information was stored on their servers – just sell me those lights. I deserved those lights, but was denied the privilege due to their incompetence and apathy.
All I got was the standard "We'll get back to you" autoreply. A friend said they put hundreds more of the light sets up for sale later in the day, but I had already closed my browser and wasn't ever going back if they didn't make this right. If they were going to ignore this message from a loyal customer, we were finished.
As I said, that was in December of 2008. I never got any response. I also never returned to woot - until today. My wife called this morning and said I had to go back and get her a Kindle 2. Against my better judgement, I agreed to give it one more shot … maybe they had improved, maybe they had canned all their old customer support and IT people. I dredged the years old password from my memory and went to complete the order. Oh, but wait, they had cleared out my credit card information, I had to enter it again.
"If everything looks correct, click I want one." I clicked the gold button. The page repainted with the same instruction to click the gold button.
Several more times I tried. But each time the screen refreshed and each time taunted me to click the gold button. But the order wouldn't complete.
Then I scrolled all the way to the top of the screen, above the credit card images, and there - in the smallest font their developers could apparently find - were the words saying the item was sold out. Why not display a NEW page if the item is sold out, instead of wasting people's time in the false hope that they may still get the item?! Such design can only be malicious, or if not that, then programming which is the product of a diseased simian brain.
So, after more than 18 months, nothing had changed, apart from making the experience even worse than before through the use of an even smaller font in a ridiculous location for a message that could be presented in so many different and sensible ways. And upon reflection, I need to correct my earlier assessment - such design can only be the product of a malicious diseased simian brain. There's no OR about the situation.
And to add insult to injury the reason it was sold out when I clicked the gold button was because woot had cleared my credit card information from their database. I checked the bunions and discovered I had missed getting a Kindle by less than 30 seconds - the time required to dig out my credit card and type in all the information.
I hear Amazon has bought woot. Perhaps, if there's any justice in the world, they'll fire all the worthless and uncaring woot employees and they can then devote their time to more useful pursuits, like trying to get on Maury, so they can track down their fathers. But more than likely, woot has now infected Amazon with their special flair for shoddy customer service, in which case I won't be using my Amazon account ever again, either.

Hey woot staff, before you turn out the lights, disable my account. Naturally, you don't provide any such self-service mechanism on your site - that would be good customer service. And don’t bother replying, I blocked all email from woot over a year ago.

xguntherc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xguntherc

Please don't change.. I love the cussing and funny wootcasts and detailed descriptions.

I sure hope amazon allows all that still

It's all about the Flying Screaming Caped Woot Monkey I got last year!

spawnhero9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spawnhero9
msneary wrote:An open letter to woot, wooters, and Amazon.
A little background... I was a loyal wooter for several years. I spent thousands on woot, buying multiple items each week from woot.com, shirt.woot.com and sellout.woot.com. I probably introduced 60 or 70 people to woot and routinely recommended it to total strangers when they would comment on my newest PC accessory, my Zune, my backpack, t-shirt, tools, etc. But then I'd occasionally have a problem with a purchase. I'd politely email customer service and get an automated reply to the effect that they would get back to me in short order. Except they NEVER got back to me.

I tolerated the occasional order that didn't go through due to poor programming or shoddy infrastructure administration by woot's employees. But the frequency of their gaffs only increased, as did my dissatisfaction. Finally, during a wootoff in December 2008, they had woot lights! I had to have those! I dutifully entered all my info to buy 2 sets, but the transaction wouldn't go through. Here I was trying to buy a symbol of my devotion to woot, and still getting the shaft. That was it! I emailed customer service, still politely, but demanding they rectify this injustice. They OWED me those sets of lights. They could charge my card; the information was stored on their servers – just sell me those lights. I deserved those lights, but was denied the privilege due to their incompetence and apathy.
All I got was the standard "We'll get back to you" autoreply. A friend said they put hundreds more of the light sets up for sale later in the day, but I had already closed my browser and wasn't ever going back if they didn't make this right. If they were going to ignore this message from a loyal customer, we were finished.
As I said, that was in December of 2008. I never got any response. I also never returned to woot - until today. My wife called this morning and said I had to go back and get her a Kindle 2. Against my better judgement, I agreed to give it one more shot … maybe they had improved, maybe they had canned all their old customer support and IT people. I dredged the years old password from my memory and went to complete the order. Oh, but wait, they had cleared out my credit card information, I had to enter it again.
"If everything looks correct, click I want one." I clicked the gold button. The page repainted with the same instruction to click the gold button.
Several more times I tried. But each time the screen refreshed and each time taunted me to click the gold button. But the order wouldn't complete.
Then I scrolled all the way to the top of the screen, above the credit card images, and there - in the smallest font their developers could apparently find - were the words saying the item was sold out. Why not display a NEW page if the item is sold out, instead of wasting people's time in the false hope that they may still get the item?! Such design can only be malicious, or if not that, then programming which is the product of a diseased simian brain.
So, after more than 18 months, nothing had changed, apart from making the experience even worse than before through the use of an even smaller font in a ridiculous location for a message that could be presented in so many different and sensible ways. And upon reflection, I need to correct my earlier assessment - such design can only be the product of a malicious diseased simian brain. There's no OR about the situation.
And to add insult to injury the reason it was sold out when I clicked the gold button was because woot had cleared my credit card information from their database. I checked the bunions and discovered I had missed getting a Kindle by less than 30 seconds - the time required to dig out my credit card and type in all the information.
I hear Amazon has bought woot. Perhaps, if there's any justice in the world, they'll fire all the worthless and uncaring woot employees and they can then devote their time to more useful pursuits, like trying to get on Maury, so they can track down their fathers. But more than likely, woot has now infected Amazon with their special flair for shoddy customer service, in which case I won't be using my Amazon account ever again, either.

Hey woot staff, before you turn out the lights, disable my account. Naturally, you don't provide any such self-service mechanism on your site - that would be good customer service. And don’t bother replying, I blocked all email from woot over a year ago.

How's about this... shut up! No one cares that you are so mentally challenged that you can't read sold out or that you felt it was necessary to type an essay saying how angry you are at a retailer that has more positive feedback than anything else because you seem to use dial up to place your orders. You've stayed off the site for awhile so how about you continue that for eternity and stop wasting people's time with your unimportant and unnecessary RANT.

rcmck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rcmck

So when will you be switching the servers to Amazons CDN?

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
msneary wrote:boo hoo

No Kindle for your wife, eh? My wife has one and is very satisfied. Don't blame woot because you can't satisfy your wife.
Burn! ♫How does it feel?♫

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
msneary wrote:And don’t bother replying,

↑ My favorite part. ↑

Nothing follows.

Realistpm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Realistpm

R.I.P. Woot.com

ohhnurse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohhnurse

Holy She-eyet! Congrats!

KCataclysm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KCataclysm

Wait? Woot gives deep tissue massages? I believe in miracles, you sexy thing.

danomar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danomar

Sonnet to Woot

Ah Woot, alas, thy small shop is now sold
A deal is struck, transfers are now complete;
Death drums of a new owner now may beat,
Ah Woot, perhaps though shalt nevermore fold!
Oh Woot, is the an end to bargains bold?
Amazon jungles encroach at thy feet
Where fruits of cash are plucked—they are so sweet;
Yes Woot, my friend, thou hast plumbed for more gold!
But soft! Is this a chance to sell more gear
To hipsters in towns near and cities far
To display and prove that crap is still cool?
Yes! That is the way to hold back buy-fear;
Impulse shopping remains Woot's hopeful star—
Cheapskates with class are the ones you shall rule!

(Yes, it is Petrarchan)

llyon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages llyon

Soon Woot will be another boring "Todays Deals" on Amazon.

Remember the Star Trek episode about the Borg:

"We are Amazon, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated."

Goodbye Woot.

subsailor911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages subsailor911

All business, mergers, and international diplomacy shoud be this much fun.

Palistinian: Die Israeli dog! (Throws Markook) The Israeli responds by throwing a bagel. Palistinian: Hey, you got some cream cheese for this? Israeli: You terrorist puppet! Only if you have some Hummus to go with the Markook!

The battle continues, followed by Eating Sounds.

Palistinian: Okay Israeli dog, I see you tomorrow. Israeli: Only if you remember the Hummus!

lionsdenmother

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lionsdenmother

when big companies buy up little companies it is to kill competition to raise prices. i don't imagine we will be seeing the same great deals as before once the dust settles. goodbye woot its been great

beerboyone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beerboyone

Trent's wife's thing (how destroy angels) is actualy free on their website (http://www.howtodestroyangels.com/store/) so u don't need to sell out for the downloads after all.

zach0731

quality posts: 81 Private Messages zach0731

Staff

Here's a video of Buzz Out Loud talking about the deal on today's show. Clip on Youtube

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms
zach0731 wrote:Here's a video of Buzz Out Loud talking about the deal on today's show. Clip on Youtube

It's basically an advertisement for the new Kindle -- and the chiclet disses The Monkey, "I hate it...", she says (with giggle)...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

Armagedon

quality posts: 106 Private Messages Armagedon

At least there won't be things like Amazon-offs, bag o' amazon, etc. (I hope!) By the way, congratulations on becoming part of Amazon! (Nice 110 million dollars!)

Gatzby wrote:I did it for the donuts. They promised me Top Pot ones. Heard the maple bars are good enough to steal!

Is there like an archive of random funny pictures, stories, and videos on the web for woot! employees? It seems like you all never run out of things to show us!

PS You know that an Amazon is a masculine, strong, very tall, woman? I just hoped that you all knew that before signing! =P

hoving

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoving

A sad day for woot. It will never ever be the same. I don't care what the former owner told his employees. It never happens like that. Someone just got greedy, took the cash and ran. Too bad it was a good thing while it lasted.

plaster

quality posts: 7 Private Messages plaster
msneary wrote: And don’t bother replying, I blocked all email from woot over a year ago.

hard to get a response when they are blocked... And if they never sent you anything why block them?

plaster

quality posts: 7 Private Messages plaster

For everyone claiming that this is shocking news that woot is in league with amazon all of a sudden. News flash: Amazon has been an investor in woot since at least 2008. So amazon has been a part of woot for over 2 years, it's just much more official now.
Where were the cries of dismay in Jan of 2008? That's what I thought, now go troll the gold box forums or something.

dakotatsc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dakotatsc

SELL OUTS!!!!!

kickercs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kickercs

Screaming Amazon Monkeys? C'mon, for real??

angelicphyre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angelicphyre

...as there are a great deal of responses to this, maybe someone already asked the single burning question I have. I also have an incredibly short attention span and gave up on utilizing the "find" function at the end of the I like to smell my armpits of responses. Anyways, moving on.

Am I the only one who noticed that there are only 4 questions listed under the listing "TOP 5 BURNING QUESTIONS"? And that's only if you count "F1RST!!!!"

Well, technically there are five, if you do not count the question "F1RST!!!!" and actually do count the two philosophical ones regarding the universal deity, so maybe that was part of the Q&A, but when this occurred to me, it was enough to actually post a comment. I normally get distracted prior to the "add comment" moment, so I figured it was worth posting...

x

gfrye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gfrye

All the Zappos employees got Free Kindles when they joined Amazon last year, so there's always that...

berardiuo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berardiuo

Woot an Amazon deal!

berardiuo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berardiuo
lionsdenmother wrote:when big companies buy up little companies it is to kill competition to raise prices. i don't imagine we will be seeing the same great deals as before once the dust settles. goodbye woot its been great

There are several other companies that do similar things as Woot. If Woot slows down its deals, it will be noticed and make Amazon look bad. If anything I would guess Amazon's financial backing and reputation is going to help Woot to have even better deals if anything. Not to mention, Amazon has an immense data bank of knowledge of what people are trending to buy. Excellent acquisition if you ask me.

neonmessiah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neonmessiah

I think this sale is a bad idea.

Those super-huge corporate ships tend to be run by humor-challenged guys. I predict a fight.

They may be laying low in the beginning to make the buy look like a smooth transaction. But then they'll slowly drive up the pressure.

You know, the typical empire-building strategies. Replace independent leaders with empire sycophants. Try to make everything more and more Amazon-ish, step by step.

They'll streamline you, dudes. Well, at least they'll try. Are you up for that fight?

Sorry if this sounds kinda negative, but you know, the corporate world just sucks like that. I didn't come up with that s**t. =)

(I got owned by woot!, why are you word-filtering posts? you are already corporate-spoonised dudes.)

alamogal1963

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alamogal1963

Awesome! Congrats! Now will my TAXSUCKS coupon code still work?

Blondes aren't dumm.

cctremme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cctremme

If you think that being acquired by a mega-corp. is going to be life as usual...I believe you are going to be greatly surprised. My concern, will be deals be real deals?

lankey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lankey

Sold out to the man.

belle13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages belle13

Amazon is awesome! WOOT is fantastic! I foresee infinite possibilities (and unimaginable wealth) for such a partnership.

Congratulations!

mharen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mharen
rocketteem wrote:Hopefully you guys don't inherit the crappy customer service that Amazon provides

Amazon's cs is pretty awesome in my experience

frankc420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frankc420

Who gives a Book of Crap!

zeepidee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zeepidee

Great news! Amazon is succeeding into taking over the world...or at least my wallet!

bama2112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bama2112
llyon wrote:Soon Woot will be another boring "Todays Deals" on Amazon.

Remember the Star Trek episode about the Borg:

"We are Amazon, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated."

Goodbye Woot.

AMF or ADIOS MY FRIEND or ADIOS M----- F-----

If your reading this then you believe this wont change Woot. I have been thru too many acquisitions. A snotty nose VP with a BS degree will change you. Hell you sold out for the money and DONT have the balls to say it. I would have been more impressed with I did it for the damn MONEY and yes Amazon said it would not change but they LIE and I am now rich and have all the hot young CHICKS I will ever DESIRE.

Everyone has a PRICE and they found YOURS so be HONEST and go get LAID and say AMF to all the buyers you made happy and the ones who were screwed but that is what WOOT is about and now your going to get SCREWED by some young over 18 Bimbo and I am JEALOUS of that. I hope you use a WOOT off before you get your WOOT OFF with the BiMBO.

AMF

BEFORE I FORGET - I was RANTING and after I did I GOOGLED to see how much BIMBO money RUT MADE - Enough to have all the 18 to 25 y/o BIMBETTES his HEART WOOTS for. HOW many Bimbettes

110 MILLION or 52 MIllioN Pair of DD's

a c/p from GOOgle

Carrollton-based Woot.com, a quirky deal-of-the-day website with almost 3 million registered customers, sold itself to online giant Amazon.com on Wednesday.

Seattle-based Amazon has owned a minority stake in Woot since 2006 but bought out the remainder of the company owned by founder and CEO Matt Rutledge for an undisclosed sum.

Technology websites reported the price was $110 million in cash.

Rutledge, 38, will stay on to run Woot, which includes a wholesale operation that sells to Amazon. Woot will operate independently, much like shoe website Zappos and audiobook seller Audible since they were acquired by Amazon, he said.

Woot last disclosed annual sales of $164 million in 2008. That year, Inc. magazine named Woot the fastest-growing private retailer in the U.S. and the fastest-growing private company in Dallas-Fort Worth.

twomper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages twomper
msneary wrote:An open letter to woot, wooters, and Amazon.

... blah blah blah... woot lights... blah blah blah... Kindle sold out... blah blah blah...

Translation: If Woot charges my Credit Card and sends me some TOTALLY AWESOME woot lights I will forgive all of their transgressions and promise to name everyone of my children after a woot sub-site... starting with Moofi.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
bama2112 wrote:AMF or ADIOS MY FRIEND or ADIOS M----- F-----

If your reading this then you believe this wont change Woot. I have been thru too many acquisitions. A snotty nose VP with a BS degree will change you. Hell you sold out for the money and DONT have the balls to say it. I would have been more impressed with I did it for the damn MONEY and yes Amazon said it would not change but they LIE and I am now rich and have all the hot young CHICKS I will ever DESIRE.

Everyone has a PRICE and they found YOURS so be HONEST and go get LAID and say AMF to all the buyers you made happy and the ones who were screwed but that is what WOOT is about and now your going to get SCREWED by some young over 18 Bimbo and I am JEALOUS of that. I hope you use a WOOT off before you get your WOOT OFF with the BiMBO.

AMF

BEFORE I FORGET - I was RANTING and after I did I GOOGLED to see how much BIMBO money RUT MADE - Enough to have all the 18 to 25 y/o BIMBETTES his HEART WOOTS for. HOW many Bimbettes

110 MILLION or 52 MIllioN Pair of DD's

a c/p from GOOgle

Carrollton-based Woot.com, a quirky deal-of-the-day website with almost 3 million registered customers, sold itself to online giant Amazon.com on Wednesday.

Seattle-based Amazon has owned a minority stake in Woot since 2006 but bought out the remainder of the company owned by founder and CEO Matt Rutledge for an undisclosed sum.

Technology websites reported the price was $110 million in cash.

Rutledge, 38, will stay on to run Woot, which includes a wholesale operation that sells to Amazon. Woot will operate independently, much like shoe website Zappos and audiobook seller Audible since they were acquired by Amazon, he said.

Woot last disclosed annual sales of $164 million in 2008. That year, Inc. magazine named Woot the fastest-growing private retailer in the U.S. and the fastest-growing private company in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Did you miss the part with the rapping monkey exclaiming that we did it for the money?

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
llandar wrote:Did you miss the part with the rapping monkey exclaiming that we did it for the money?

Apparently. Please send me one of those bimbos in my next Bowl of Cereal. Boobs rock.

Nothing follows.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

twomper wrote:Translation: If Woot charges my Credit Card and sends me some TOTALLY AWESOME woot lights I will forgive all of their transgressions and promise to name everyone of my children after a woot sub-site... starting with Moofi.

I don't think I can charge him after cancelling his account.

bama2112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bama2112
llandar wrote:Did you miss the part with the rapping monkey exclaiming that we did it for the money?

I am one of the people who refuse to listen to rap in any form so yes if it sounds like rap then it is and I do not listen. So if someone wants me to listen to a message then it need not be in rap form. A written note works well.

But some Bouncing Boobies and dollars $$ tattooed on them and I could have read one was 55 million and the other 55 million.