vand3537

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vand3537

Reagan

trolleycart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trolleycart
jlange88 wrote:Speaking of a tool, who is the first president in history to read every single one of his speeches from a teleprompter? You guessed it, Barack Obama. Talk about tools...

It's pretty ignorant to complain that our current President uses a teleprompter. You seem to have no problem with our past Presidents' reading speeches from printed paper or note cards. The fact is almost every speaker has their speech prepared by someone, or themselves. I get it, you don't like the guy, but you're just grasping at straws at this point. But it's just a piece of technology, just like paper and other tools we've used.

As for Presidents I'd consider for revival? Perhaps JFK, and any other we've had fall victim to assassination or illness/old age. But truthfully, give me the room of people that created and signed the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I think those men would be the best to correct our politics. However, I admit they would probably spend time trying to consider what our current society's composition, as well as our scientific advancements impact policy. We'd get a current/updated Constitution meant for today's society. If they think the original one was fine the way it is, or great as we have it, sure. But I'd love to see a Constitution of 2012

denalynndraca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denalynndraca

Theodore Roosevelt because he was awesome

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

denalynndraca wrote:Theodore Roosevelt because he was awesome

He kinda...he kinda already looked like a zombie...

akauffman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akauffman
vand3537 wrote:Reagan

Reagan was an actor. The first in-your-face puppet president. He was a Democrat in the 1940s, a self-described 'hemophilliac' liberal. He changed his colors when he was offered the role of President of the United States. He gladly sold-out and became a turncoat in exchange for the most prestigious office in the world at the time. A smart business move but none the less disgraceful.

Check this out:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001654/

-=AraK=-

kakugori

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kakugori

For pop culture reference overload, I'm going with the whole team of Ben Franklin* backed up by Roosevelt, Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson. So they can all do the Thriller dance with Dr. McNinja.

*yeah, I know. Not President.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
krdshrk wrote:Surprised nobody's said Thomas Jefferson yet..

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."

and

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Trivia:
The title of "historical figure from American history that most women would like to sleep with" has been held by Thomas Jefferson on OK Cupid before.

(DO YOU HEAR ME, TEDDY?! DO YOU HEAR ME?! XD)

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 11 Private Messages TheTexasTwister
robertwooddellweaver wrote:Yeah, TJ for the win. Government by meritocracy, use of actual science instead of magical thinking, what could go wrong?

I should remind you that Jefferson was an anti-Federalist who opposed adopting the Constitution when it was proposed. He wanted to keep The Articles of Confederation as the law of the land.

Unfortunately, the Articles had many shortcomings that the Constitution was intended to fix. Jefferson believed that the states were the sovereign entities where the nation's power truly originated. This differed from Adams and Washington and the Federalists who saw the people as sovereign entities not the states and state governments.

Many of his arguments against centralized power still have great merit even today. But you should understand the Jefferson was more for a loose confederation of states rather than a nation of people.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages hehthuryo

Honest Abe because I know he'd fight for equality for the gays.

TheTexasTwister

Jewels812 wrote:It is downright unAmerican that Reagan didn't make this list...

I agree with you on that one. My all time list of great presidents would be
1)George Washington
2)James Madison
3)Abraham Lincoln
4)Ronald Reagan
5)Calvin Coolidge

I would gladly take any of these great men to school our current crop of politicians.

TheTexasTwister

akauffman wrote:Reagan was an actor. The first in-your-face puppet president. He was a Democrat in the 1940s, a self-described 'hemophilliac' liberal. He changed his colors when he was offered the role of President of the United States. He gladly sold-out and became a turncoat in exchange for the most prestigious office in the world at the time. A smart business move but none the less disgraceful.

Check this out:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001654/

Take note that Reagan changed to Republican long before becoming president. His political philosophy began changing in the 1950's and he officially changed to Republican in 1962. He went on to give his rousing "A Time For Choosing" speech in support of Barry Goldwater's bid for president in the 1964 and later ran for and won office of Governor of California as a Republican.

Don't you just hate it when history gets in the way?

TheTexasTwister

stevef2222 wrote:considering the shape of the country...f.d.r.

I hate to burst your bubble, but FDR only made the The Great Depression last longer. His New Deal policies were the same policies that his predecessor Herbert Hoover was using that caused the stock market crash and the economy to decline in the first place.

(FYI, current president Obama's "stimulus" is little more than a modern version of the New Deal.)

TheTexasTwister

CharlesP2009 wrote:It'd be nice to bring back Washington and the rest of the Founding Fathers so they can see what a mess we've made of things (and to hopefully put us back on track).

A lot of people like to proclaim what the intentions of the Founding Fathers were and to explain the "true" meaning behind their work and it'd be so great to have the actual men put those people in their place.

So, lets work on that reanimation...Or maybe I should just buy a DeLorean?

You don't actually have to reanimate any of the Founding Fathers. Their ideals for our country were spelled out quite eloquently in a myriad of letters, speeches, notes, official documents and journals as well as in the Federalist Papers, the Anti-Federalist Papers, the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Our Founding Father's fundamental philosophies about liberty and freedom are partially derived from the writings of John Locke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Locke). In fact, the opening of the Declaration of Independence is essentially a summation of Locke's principles of human rights.

Federalist Papers:
http://www.foundingfathers.info/federalistpapers/fedindex.htm

Anti-Federalist Papers:
http://www.wepin.com/articles/afp/index.htm

Declaration of Independence:
http://www.foundingfathers.info/documents/decindep.html

US Constitution:
http://www.foundingfathers.info/documents/constitution.html

Bill of Rights:
http://www.foundingfathers.info/documents/billrights.html

Enjoy!

TheTexasTwister

olperfesser wrote:Jefferson. A true renaissance man. When in office he cut the military, balanced the budget, kept us out of war, and bought Louisiana from Napoleon. He was a strong believer both in religious freedom and keeping religion out of government.

Not entirely true. Although he did cut the military he learned later the need for a strong military when he was pressed into fighting the First Barbary War.

Pirates were attacking US shipping and holding the crews hostages for big ransoms. The US, like most other countries, were paying a "tribute" to prevent the attacks. Jefferson continued this policy until the pirates started demanding a much larger tribute. Then he sent military vessels to attack the pirates.

Jefferson always believed in a weak central government and executive (president). But when offered the entire Louisiana Purchase he violated that ideal and bought the property despite not having any explicit Constitutional authority to do so. He would later propose removing the native Indians, even if by force.

He was a very strong believer in religious freedom and even authored such a bill that was ratified in Virginia. However, he was never for keeping religion or religious beliefs out of government. He was against the government establishing a state "authorized" religion. He even went on to reverse an earlier held belief and allowed clerics to run for and hold political office.

TheTexasTwister

RocRizzo wrote:He understood it to give weapons in exchange for hostages to Iran!

I'm sure those hostages would eagerly agree with you...NOT!

TheTexasTwister

hehthuryo wrote:Honest Abe because I know he'd fight for equality for the gays.

I seriously doubt he would using the contemporary definition of "equality" used by pro-gay activists. As Lincoln grew older and turned more and more to The Bible for solace, courage and wisdom. If he were to interpret The Bible closely as most in his day often did, rather than loosely, he would not support the modern day movements for such "equalities."

Remember, even though Lincoln emancipated the slaves and ended slavery as an institution in the United States he never held the belief that Africans were fully equal to whites. Something he said as much in a speech he made while running for president. He was also strongly against the mixing of the races.

noparallel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noparallel

Ronald Reagan.

SoiledDude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SoiledDude
Craig234 wrote:LOL.

Ya, he understood 'effective' to mean to let the security agencies create death squad dictators and terrorism to try to make a buck in Central America.

He blew the best chance we had to reduce the nuclear threat, sponsored and trained death squads that killed, raped, tortued, disappeared thousands for being pro-worker, terrorized a nation, killing thousands of them to pressure them to get rid of their government...

The US took a wrng turn under Reagan, it was the end of a strong democracy and a move to massive deficit spending, excess military industry, and for the first time in American history all the economic growth going to a few at the top.

Since Reagan was president, the bottom 80% have gotten about zero of the economic growth after inflation - while the economy more than double.

Those policies are still going on - since the crash in 2008, the US economy has made a huge recovery - but the top 1% have received 93% of that recovery.

Hallelujah! And he helped secure the foothold for the Religious Right.... now that wasn't a very good move, for democracy or non-Christians.

delesh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages delesh

How is Teddy Roosevelt not on this list? We need to bring back those Rough Riders.

robgnts5611

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robgnts5611

It's shameful.....but....Clinton
That dude could "party" !!

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
jlange88 wrote:Speaking of a tool, who is the first president in history to read every single one of his speeches from a teleprompter? You guessed it, Barack Obama. Talk about tools...

My vote for most irrelevant post of this discussion!

nanaejt

robgnts5611 wrote:It's shameful.....but....Clinton

He is alive though.

Wiredog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wiredog
joshaw wrote:Anyone who knows anything about the founding of the United States would want to bring back Thomas Jefferson. I also wish Aaron Burr would've gotten to Alexander Hamilton about 10 years earlier. If you want to blame anyone for the situation we're in, blame Mr. Federalist himself.

Alexander Hamilton wasn't the real problem. John Marshall led the Supreme Court to slowly add to the powers of the national government, stripping them from the states and people.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
blanton007 wrote:WHERE IS RONALD REAGAN? WHAT DORK MADE UP THIS LIST? HOW IN THE WORLD DID RONALD REAGAN NOT MAKE THIS LIST - WE NEED HIM NOW!

Inside voice please,no one wants to be shouted at, Reagan would be more than disappointed with you and your manners.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
Bullriding101 wrote:REAGAN by far!!!

I agree if you're talking about Ronald Reagan Junior!

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

Jefferson, because he believed in individual liberty and extremely limited government, which we sure could use.

markshelton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markshelton

I don't know... If one of the founding fathers was reanimated, he would probably beg to be put back in the ground.

I mean, really. We're living in a country that taxes income, taxes property, taxes EVERYTHING, in part to pay for foreign wars that many Americans don't believe in, while domestically restricting gun ownership. Additionally, this taxation comes despite the fact that an overwhelming number of Americans believe that their best interests are not being represented by any of the politicians in Washington.

What was the Revolutionary War over again...?

tooter1952

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tooter1952

I think this poll proves that most "wooters" are twenty-something brainwashed landlubbers. Congratulations, George Soros and Vladimir Putin! Don't read any history books,just get all of your facts from "moveon.org"! Eat your pizza and have sex with your new iPhone but please keep your leftwing crap to yourself!

Jewels812

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jewels812

so many sensitive people on a political woot poll. You guys are a trip. I never knew trolling wooters would be possible but based on some of the reactions on this thread, I shall hit up woot when I am bored. ;)

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
tooter1952 wrote:I think this poll proves that most "wooters" are twenty-something brainwashed landlubbers. Congratulations, George Soros and Vladimir Putin! Don't read any history books,just get all of your facts from "moveon.org"! Eat your pizza and have sex with your new iPhone but please keep your leftwing crap to yourself!

LOL,you're not fooling me this is Sean Hannity, I just know it is. Sean, I don't understand the "sex with an iphone" deal,what's that all about? And while I'm at it what's the situation with you and Rupert Murdoch?

I'm for FDR,that ok with you Sean?

cleothemuse

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cleothemuse

+1 for Thomas Jefferson

nanaejt

Jewels812 wrote:so many sensitive people on a political woot poll. You guys are a trip. I never knew trolling wooters would be possible but based on some of the reactions on this thread, I shall hit up woot when I am bored. ;)

Whoa,several sentences and not a "Bro" to be had. Keep up the good work "Bro" ;-)

Harry S Truman

chrissybe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrissybe

Reagan! 'nuff said.

chrissybe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrissybe
jmbunkin wrote:Inside voice please,no one wants to be shouted at, Reagan would be more than disappointed with you and your manners.

AMEN! Boy do we need him now!

joshaw

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joshaw
Wiredog wrote:Alexander Hamilton wasn't the real problem. John Marshall led the Supreme Court to slowly add to the powers of the national government, stripping them from the states and people.

The guy who founded the Federalist Party was Alexander Hamilton. He laid nearly all of the groundwork and wrote most of The Federalist Papers. Marshall was a Federalist working off of the groundwork of Hamilton. Had Hamilton not been around, Marshall probably wouldn't have been appointed.

lolly20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lolly20

Ronnie Reagan. His last name is "Ray Gun" for goodness sake....

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

Jackson, he'd kick Wall Street's ass, eat the Fed for dessert, and then challenge Ahmadinejad to a duel. We need a president like him now more than ever...

perlfreak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perlfreak

Thomas Jefferson.

tallerteapot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tallerteapot

Coolidge was fun! Maybe we need some fun! No?

andrewpiner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewpiner
CharlesP2009 wrote:It'd be nice to bring back Washington and the rest of the Founding Fathers so they can see what a mess we've made of things (and to hopefully put us back on track).

A lot of people like to proclaim what the intentions of the Founding Fathers were and to explain the "true" meaning behind their work and it'd be so great to have the actual men put those people in their place.

So, lets work on that reanimation...Or maybe I should just buy a DeLorean?

You could just get a phone booth complete with a pair dopey looking blond and black haired teenagers...