radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Thank you all for a very interesting discussion.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

louisgrady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louisgrady
ecnica wrote:I'm doing research myself, found the below 55-250mm lens from Amazon for $186.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm-4-0-5-6-Telephoto-Digital/dp/B0011NVMO8/ref=pd_sim_p_16

Great lens, got it at a reduced price on one of their deals of the day, but not a lot cheaper than $186. It is much more compact than the 300 lens, so it fits in my camera bag where the 300 would not. Have been taking pictures for 65 years, first with a Speed Graphic 4x5. A lot of camera, but a delight to work on a 4x5 negative in the darkroom.

louisgrady

emmyb79 wrote:Flash?? I am far from knowing anything about cameras, so it might have told me in the specs...please forgive me if it did. But i have a sony camera now and if i have to use the flash (which is most of the time) when i push down the button to snap the pic, the flash flickers or goes off for about 2 seconds before actually taking the pic, thus causing a delayed pic ( not getting the moment i wanted) or thr subject to sqint their eyes because of the brightness. So all that to say, how is the flash on tgis camera? Is it a quick shoot?

You have to go into the menu and turn the red eye adjustment OFF. The camera flickers and then shoots flash so the eye adjusts to flash, which gives no red eye. However, even the cheapest photo editors have "red eye" removal, so if you turn the red eye off, the camera should respond quickly, (I won't say immediately, because almost all digital cameras have a delay to set everything and then shoot.)

louisgrady

louisgrady wrote:Regarding your Sony, or almost any small digital camera,you have to go into the menu and turn the red eye adjustment OFF. The camera flickers and then shoots flash so the eye adjusts to flash, which gives no red eye. However, even the cheapest photo editors have "red eye" removal, so if you turn the red eye off, the camera should respond quickly, (I won't say immediately, because almost all digital cameras have a delay to set everything and then shoot.)

kokomojoeb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kokomojoeb

Just bought this camera and an additional bigger lens on Ebay for $450. Played w/ it over the weekend. So far it's a great camera.

limarick

quality posts: 5 Private Messages limarick

Been looking for this camera for my daughters 16th birthday so the timing was great. But since when does woot charge sales tax in PA? This is my 87th woot but the first time had to pay "the man".

j647

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j647
hanscarlet wrote:I've been looking to move from point and shoot to dslr for a while now but my only concern is this camera is only 12 megapixels, i've heard you should have at least 16 MP, does anyone know if this is true?

12 mp will do you just fine, you can make 8x10 and even bigger w/out a problem.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
hanscarlet wrote:just sold out minutes ago, ah well, should have known to jump on it sooner (3:23pm ET)

Did they find more? Seems to be for sale, now. Again, I guess.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
hanscarlet wrote:I've been looking to move from point and shoot to dslr for a while now but my only concern is this camera is only 12 megapixels, i've heard you should have at least 16 MP, does anyone know if this is true?

Yeah, if you were to print out a billboard at 12m pixels and stood about a foot away from it, it might look a little grainy. Other than that, 12M is plenty for any project you will likely do.

Instead of spending your money on higher pixel counts, save it for high quality lenses and accessories.

Ken Rockwell thinks he's an expert on all things photography. He has a lot to say about pixel counts. Check him out at kenrockwell.com. And no, i get no kickback.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

How to use Flash;

Your picture without Flash:

Your picture with Flash:

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
limarick wrote:Been looking for this camera for my daughters 16th birthday so the timing was great. But since when does woot charge sales tax in PA? This is my 87th woot but the first time had to pay "the man".

September 1. Thank your state government.

shelldigity

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shelldigity

So my camera is still awaiting shipping but it showed up on my doorstep this morning. Does that mean I'm getting two?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
shelldigity wrote:So my camera is still awaiting shipping but it showed up on my doorstep this morning. Does that mean I'm getting two?

Doubtful, but if that happens, do let us know! (Because that would mean someone else would be missing a camera, entailing sadness.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

shelldigity

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shelldigity
inkycatz wrote:Doubtful, but if that happens, do let us know! (Because that would mean someone else would be missing a camera, entailing sadness.)

Just wishful thinking on my part!

Question that others may also have -- my camera's warranty docs were taken out of the packet of paper goodies and ripped (I'm guessing in strategic places). Did someone need some scrap paper?

meandsecoya

quality posts: 11 Private Messages meandsecoya
shelldigity wrote:Just wishful thinking on my part!

Question that others may also have -- my camera's warranty docs were taken out of the packet of paper goodies and ripped (I'm guessing in strategic places). Did someone need some scrap paper?

Ditto to the above. I'm still 'awaiting shipping' but luckily, had used Fedex's back door so I was expecting it today and was there to sign for it. I'm assuming that the warranty papers being taken out, and pieces ripped off was because....well, I don't know. But, there's bound to be a good reason. Right?

slamslam102

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slamslam102
meandsecoya wrote:Ditto to the above. I'm still 'awaiting shipping' but luckily, had used Fedex's back door so I was expecting it today and was there to sign for it. I'm assuming that the warranty papers being taken out, and pieces ripped off was because....well, I don't know. But, there's bound to be a good reason. Right?

wheres the back door and how do you use it? c'mon spill!

meandsecoya

slamslam102 wrote:wheres the back door and how do you use it? c'mon spill!

Sometimes, Woot doesn't update your order tracking info as soon as they ship (though I've never had it take this long haha). You can go to Fedex's website, hover over 'track' then choose 'track by reference'. Where it say 'Enter Reference', put in Woot's Order Number for your purchase and put in your zip code. If the shipping label has been printed, tracking info will show up and you'll also be able to get the tracking number to follow it easier. For this one, mine didn't show any activity at all other than 'shipment info sent to Fedex' until yesterday evening when it finally left the NJ warehouse (I guess woot has a warehouse there, anyway). But, since I first looked it up Monday it had an estimated delivery date for today.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

CuzzinMerl wrote:How to use Flash;

Your picture without Flash:

i've been doing it wrong.

Your picture with Flash:

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

slamslam102

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slamslam102
meandsecoya wrote:Sometimes, Woot doesn't update your order tracking info as soon as they ship (though I've never had it take this long haha). You can go to Fedex's website, hover over 'track' then choose 'track by reference'. Where it say 'Enter Reference', put in Woot's Order Number for your purchase and put in your zip code. If the shipping label has been printed, tracking info will show up and you'll also be able to get the tracking number to follow it easier. For this one, mine didn't show any activity at all other than 'shipment info sent to Fedex' until yesterday evening when it finally left the NJ warehouse (I guess woot has a warehouse there, anyway). But, since I first looked it up Monday it had an estimated delivery date for today.

Thank you very much. Mine hasn't shipped yet according to Woot!, but is in transit and will be arriving 10/9 according to Fedex. Also shipping from NJ.

limarick

quality posts: 5 Private Messages limarick

That had to be my fastest woot ever. Showed up yesterday afternoon. As of this morning my order status still says awaiting shipping. Must have been the Flash.

meandsecoya

slamslam102 wrote:Thank you very much. Mine hasn't shipped yet according to Woot!, but is in transit and will be arriving 10/9 according to Fedex. Also shipping from NJ.

You're welcome!

So, for those who have gotten theirs already, what do you think of the camera so far? I really like it, but can tell I will have to invest in another lens sooner rather than later. I took it to the pumpkin patch today for my son's fieldtrip and the pics were great, but the zoom left a lot to be desired (which is to be expected, I know). This is my first step into the world of SLRs so I'm excited to have a real camera to work with and learn on.

duplexdianne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duplexdianne

I received mine today and was dismayed to find the packaging for the three handbooks was already cut open--does this mean I have a re-furbished product that someone returned?

Did anyone else have an already-opened (previously sealed) cellophane pouch?

meandsecoya

duplexdianne wrote:I received mine today and was dismayed to find the packaging for the three handbooks was already cut open--does this mean I have a re-furbished product that someone returned?

Did anyone else have an already-opened (previously sealed) cellophane pouch?

Yes, we discussed that a few posts above. They are new, but our assumption is that there was something in there, either warranty or promo related that Woot couldn't pass on. Don't know why, but I'd assume it's something to do with how they buy them. Maybe Woot Staff will chime in???

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

meandsecoya wrote:Yes, we discussed that a few posts above. They are new, but our assumption is that there was something in there, either warranty or promo related that Woot couldn't pass on. Don't know why, but I'd assume it's something to do with how they buy them. Maybe Woot Staff will chime in???

You're probably right about the reason but that would have been done before we received the inventory so we don't have any way of knowing what it was.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders