whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU
dbuggr wrote:This was never sold at $599.99, the list price since before it came out has always been $429.99. What's with the overstatement of the list price, Woot? All this does is detract from your credibility.

whatsamattaU wrote:Honestly, what would be worse to their credibility is to guess a "typical" price. All one has to do for that is try looking up prices for a woot item to realize how variable the pricing is. The argument of whether to put a "list price" up (like a car, for example) has been debated intermittently ever since the topic came up.

If you don't believe me, here for example, $479.99 "sale" price at Kohl's, so it HAS been on sale more than $429.99:
http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524893001647&pfx=pfx_shopcompare&cid=shopping3&mr:trackingCode=B5CD042D-6AF0-E111-85BB-001517B188A2&mr:referralID=NA

and Macy's $449.99
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/neato-xv-21-vacuum-robotic-pet-allergy?ID=701694&cm_mmc=Google_Feed_pla_pe-_-adtype-pla-_-target-19586772875-_-kw-&gclid=CMaly8Dl6rICFYYWMgodHCAAFQ

bmbags

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bmbags
whatsamattaU wrote:Honestly, what would be worse to their credibility is to guess a "typical" price. All one has to do for that is try looking up prices for a woot item to realize how variable the pricing is. The argument of whether to put a "list price" up (like a car, for example) has been debated intermittently ever since the topic came up.

If you don't believe me, here for example, $479.99 "sale" price at Kohl's:
http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524893001647&pfx=pfx_shopcompare&cid=shopping3&mr:trackingCode=B5CD042D-6AF0-E111-85BB-001517B188A2&mr:referralID=NA

The real question is who is the MSRP display targeted for? It's likely targeted to the casual consumer who does not review these boards in detail and do comparison shopping like many of us. There are many of those casual consumers who will likely buy just seeing how great a "deal" it is over the MSRP.

The above said, I'd love for there to be an option in the settings that would allow the display of the price the item is sold for at amazon.com when sold by amazon.com. It should be doable considering woot.com is owned by amazon.com. Having this as an option that is not enabled by default would benefit the comparison shoppers while also not impacting or at least minimally impacting the casual shoppers.

whatsamattaU

bmbags wrote:The real question is who is the MSRP display targeted for? It's likely targeted to the casual consumer who does not review these boards in detail and do comparison shopping like many of us. There are many of those casual consumers who will likely buy just seeing how great a "deal" it is over the MSRP.

The above said, I'd love for there to be an option in the settings that would allow the display of the price the item is sold for at amazon.com when sold by amazon.com. It should be doable considering woot.com is owned by amazon.com. Having this as an option that is not enabled by default would benefit the comparison shoppers while also not impacting or at least minimally impacting the casual shoppers.

This goes back to the original question back when this started of whether the price should be listed at all. Personally, I'm not going to take a guess at intent, since it helps me looking thoroughly, but I see your argument. This is a reminder of how the page looked before, without the list price:
http://mywoot.net/past/details.php?id=4469

I understand the reasoning behind the Amazon price idea, but I think they'd put up a competitor's price up before they'd do Amazon. I think they're not likely to do that at all, because who do you pick? It'll give any competitor an incentive to cut the price while woot is selling, and that gets messy (and gives woot a headache they don't want). I can't recall the last time (if ever) amazon has sold something for the same price or less than woot at the same time, but I might be wrong (however, I'm not counting any 3rd party organizations that might sell through amazon. Woot's not interested in comparisons with Amazon, Amazon 3rd parties, eBay, etc. If you point out a cheaper price from let's say newegg, though, on the exact same model and condition though, woot will lower the price--in my experience).

I think Amazon still wants to be as invisible as possible when wooters come here (although that hasn't stopped wooters from blaming everything bad about woot on the Amazon buyout, true or not, and I'm not interested in starting that discussion again).

However, if they stick to what they've done over the years, they'll leave the price comparisons for us to post--like I did.

aliencds

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aliencds

been looking at these for a while. caved in and got one. Can't wait!

w00t rocks! Bunnies Ogling Carrots please

molex

quality posts: 7 Private Messages molex
selune13 wrote:Literally loving something is not the same as literally "making love" to something. If intercourse is the only way you define love, you may have issues.

Fair enough. But if you're talking about emotional love the use of "literally" is pointless at best. When you say "I love it" you are already expressing your love, adding "literally" to the statement is redundant.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

molex wrote:Fair enough. But if you're talking about emotional love the use of "literally" is pointless at best. When you say "I love it" you are already expressing your love, adding "literally" to the statement is redundant.

i literally LOVE pedantry!
did i do it right?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

PemberDucky wrote:i literally LOVE pedantry!
did i do it right?

I literally LOVE Oreos!

peats001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peats001

I bought one of these things at the last Woot Off. It has a section for its "eyes" that is higher than the rest of it. Unfortunately, my couch and a few other pieces of furniture that I have are at a height that the lower part of it can fit under, but not the "eye" section, which means it spins its wheels and loses its position in the room. When this happens, it stays in that spot going back and forth seemingly forever, not knowing how to deal with the obstacle. If it does finally move on, it will never find the charger when it needs to. Once in awhile it will force its way under the couch and not be able to force its way back out. Unless I raise the couch up on blocks, this thing is useless.
It comes with about 10 feet of a barrier strip, that when laid down across, say, a doorway, it won't cross. The first time I used it, it ran over the strip and got tangled up in it.
Once, I started it in a room, then walked into my bedroom. It is supposed to have doorway sensing and not cross into other rooms until it is done with the room it is working on. Well, it immediately followed me into my bedroom, and must have made a note to itself that there was an area to be cleaned there. When it went back to the original room, I shut my door to go to bed. It eventually found its way back to my bedroom door and kept bumping into it over and over like a sad lost puppy until I came out and shut it down.
While watching it work, I found myself almost feeling sorry for what seemed like a poor blind pet, but quickly remembered that I paid $300 for this stupid thing, and I'm the one that needs a hug.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

peats001 wrote:I bought one of these things at the last Woot Off. It has a section for its "eyes" that is higher than the rest of it. Unfortunately, my couch and a few other pieces of furniture that I have are at a height that the lower part of it can fit under, but not the "eye" section, which means it spins its wheels and loses its position in the room. When this happens, it stays in that spot going back and forth seemingly forever, not knowing how to deal with the obstacle. If it does finally move on, it will never find the charger when it needs to. Once in awhile it will force its way under the couch and not be able to force its way back out. Unless I raise the couch up on blocks, this thing is useless.
It comes with about 10 feet of a barrier strip, that when laid down across, say, a doorway, it won't cross. The first time I used it, it ran over the strip and got tangled up in it.
Once, I started it in a room, then walked into my bedroom. It is supposed to have doorway sensing and not cross into other rooms until it is done with the room it is working on. Well, it immediately followed me into my bedroom, and must have made a note to itself that there was an area to be cleaned there. When it went back to the original room, I shut my door to go to bed. It eventually found its way back to my bedroom door and kept bumping into it over and over like a sad lost puppy until I came out and shut it down.
While watching it work, I found myself almost feeling sorry for what seemed like a poor blind pet, but quickly remembered that I paid $300 for this stupid thing, and I'm the one that needs a hug.

Sorry to hear you experienced issues with your Neato. We recommend that you contact Neato Support to see if they can help you resolve any issues with your product.

You're also welcome to email into service@woot.com if you have any questions or concerns regarding your order.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

molex

PemberDucky wrote:i literally LOVE pedantry!
did i do it right?

I literally LOVE when people prefer ignorance over discourse!

p.s. no.

molex

peats001 wrote:I bought one of these things at the last Woot Off. It has a section for its "eyes" that is higher than the rest of it. Unfortunately, my couch and a few other pieces of furniture that I have are at a height that the lower part of it can fit under, but not the "eye" section, which means it spins its wheels and loses its position in the room. When this happens, it stays in that spot going back and forth seemingly forever, not knowing how to deal with the obstacle. If it does finally move on, it will never find the charger when it needs to. Once in awhile it will force its way under the couch and not be able to force its way back out. Unless I raise the couch up on blocks, this thing is useless.

You should contact neato robotics and request an "advanced warranty replacement". If you purchased within a year they will simply ask for explanation of the problem and proof of purchase and they will ship you a new unit, with a FedEx return label to send back the defective unit.

I'm on my third unit, which is working well... so far.

Also, I had the same issue with a chair that was just low enough that neato would wedge himself under it and get stuck. On most couches and living room furniture if you flip it over you can unscrew the feet. Take one to a hardware store and get some fender washers that will fit over the male part of the foot that screws into the furniture, two or three per foot, and screw it all back on.

For me that raised the chair just enough that Neato could get under it no problem, but not enough that the chair looked or felt any different.

bmfb1980

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmfb1980

Woot is scamming. The MSRP for this is not 599. Try $429 direct from their website.

marinakn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marinakn

The greatest robot that's ever lived. Highly recommended!
It is loud and it does take a while - i set mine to clean when i leave for work - I haven't vacuumed in about a year. Love it!

vmforrest

quality posts: 9 Private Messages vmforrest
molex wrote:I wish people would learn what the word "literally" means.

Because what you just described is that you have intercourse with your vacuum. It's literally one of the worst uses of literally I've ever seen.

I literally LOVE myself!

oh. wait...

danaswan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danaswan
larenm wrote:so if my cat pukes on the carpet and this thing drives over it, will it clean it up or just drive through it and leave puke tracks all over the carpet?

It will drive over it and or try to pick it up, if it is in it's path. How do I know....we have 4 cats! And yes, will drag the lovely projectile if it is caught, all over the floor. But that CANNOT be fault of the Neato (I ♥ mine) but an issues as where the cats must upchuck the hairballs! ~haha~

whatsamattaU

bmfb1980 wrote:Woot is scamming. The MSRP for this is not 599. Try $429 direct from their website.

This is one of the reasons that listed the comparison price can be problems. If the product starts at $599, and I didn't look far enough back, and the company themselves cuts the price without saying what it was before, then it certainly can be confusing. The majority of articles/prices say $429, one article said $499, one is well over $500. Regardless, definition of MSRP is like for cars, I would guess. You may see the MRSP (like on the Price is Right) but not ever see it in reality.
If NEATO says the MSRP is $599, even if NEATO itself isn't selling it at $599 (and it wouldn't be the first time on a woot), woot's stuck. I still think they're better off not even listing a MSRP.

neutek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neutek

Bottomline: How does it hold up to pet hair getting into the mechanisms, bearings, gears, wheels, sensors?

All robotic vacuums tried thus far fail miserably in this category. No matter what they pickup, if they can't handle the hair and dander and eventually cause their effectiveness and functionality to fall off without self-repair or notification to user, than they are all not worth the time spent to both take apart all the robot hardware and finally clean the floor by hand anyway.

cyrax78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyrax78

Has anyone's Neato actually shipped yet? Mine has been showing as "awaiting shippment" since Friday.

PemberDucky

Staff

cyrax78 wrote:Has anyone's Neato actually shipped yet? Mine has been showing as "awaiting shippment" since Friday.

hmm. it's only tuesday, so maybe give it a few more days.
if you have a specific concern about the status of your order, email service@woot.com. but i'd say it's a little early yet.

kmurphy4000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kmurphy4000
cyrax78 wrote:Has anyone's Neato actually shipped yet? Mine has been showing as "awaiting shippment" since Friday.

Mine arrived today! Can't wait to take it home and try it out (had it delivered to my workplace).

Regarding the ongoing "is listing the MSRP a shady thing to do?" question, I have 2 cents I'd like to add.

I've worked in an electronics store for the past 8 years or so and I can tell you this is not just a Woot thing, nor is it a Neato thing.

For example, Nikon Coolpix cameras are often (damn near always) listed as a higher price than they will ever sell for. A new camera might come out at $299.95 but it's almost immediately on an "instant savings" program and it will stay on that program for the life of the product. The savings amount can vary. Sometimes its $50 off, sometimes its 100$, etc. But 95% of the time it will not be the full MSRP price. And Nikon always ALWAYS advertises the cameras as full MSRP, less an instant savings amount. (Canon does this too, just FYI).

So yes, MSRP is rarely what you actually pay. But I don't really think it's shady for Woot (or anyone else) to be listing it this way.

dermbrian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dermbrian

If you copy down the order number, then go to Fedex.com and select "track by reference number", you will probably find that it's enroute and when you can expect it. Mine still says awaiting shipment but shipped on Monday and should arrive at my house tomorrow.

mcestes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcestes
dermbrian wrote:If you copy down the order number, then go to Fedex.com and select "track by reference number", you will probably find that it's enroute and when you can expect it. Mine still says awaiting shipment but shipped on Monday and should arrive at my house tomorrow.

Thanks, that worked for me! The order still shows "Awaiting Shipping" but according to FedEx it is scheduled for delivery today.

srnevid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srnevid

I received mine a couple of days ago. Keep in mind it appears that the newer XV-21 (which I apparently received) requires a 24 hour (cumulative) charge before the display will light up. This was confirmed by contacting Neato Customer Service. They said the newer ones ship with a newer firmware that has it in "shipping mode". However, mine never lit up after almost 30+ hours and they are sending me a replacement. I left it "docked" after that overnight and it still was lifeless the next day.

I checked afterwards with a voltage meter and the power supply brick (inside the dock) is putting out 24v, but the contacts on the exterior of the docking station were not giving out anything.

srnevid

srnevid wrote:I received mine a couple of days ago. Keep in mind it appears that the newer XV-21 (which I apparently received) requires a 24 hour (cumulative) charge before the display will light up. This was confirmed by contacting Neato Customer Service. They said the newer ones ship with a newer firmware that has it in "shipping mode". However, mine never lit up after almost 30+ hours and they are sending me a replacement. I left it "docked" after that overnight and it still was lifeless the next day.

I checked afterwards with a voltage meter and the power supply brick (inside the dock) is putting out 24v, but the contacts on the exterior of the docking station were not giving out anything.

BTW I "just" got my shipping confirmation email from Woot. Heh.

PemberDucky

Staff

srnevid wrote:BTW I "just" got my shipping confirmation email from Woot. Heh.

yikes. i'll make a note of that.
sorry you had to go through the rigmarole. hopefully your new one will be much better.

dermbrian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dermbrian

I just got off the phone with Neato. They are having to send me a replacement. Mine departs its base, powers up its suction...and that's as far as it gets. It eventually displays a message "My vision was blocked. Please press OK".

arrrgggghhhh.....

abhwee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abhwee

For those who got the Neato, does woot send out the invoice together with the package?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

abhwee wrote:For those who got the Neato, does woot send out the invoice together with the package?

Usually not but for drop-ship items, the vendor sometimes adds one.

You can print a receipt from "Stuff You Bought" in the upper right corner of this page.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

kemtah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kemtah

Same issue here - same shipment from Woot. Neato is sending a replacement. Their customer service seems to be very good - I just hate spending this much money on something that seems so flaky.

dermbrian wrote:I just got off the phone with Neato. They are having to send me a replacement. Mine departs its base, powers up its suction...and that's as far as it gets. It eventually displays a message "My vision was blocked. Please press OK".

arrrgggghhhh.....

PemberDucky

Staff

kemtah wrote:Same issue here - same shipment from Woot. Neato is sending a replacement. Their customer service seems to be very good - I just hate spending this much money on something that seems so flaky.

hrm. i understand the frustrations.
glad they're sending a replacement.

srnevid

PemberDucky wrote:hrm. i understand the frustrations.
glad they're sending a replacement.

My replacement arrived Friday. It lit up immediately when contacting the doc. Maybe I got a earlier rev...who knows. I ran it today and it did 95% of 3 bedrooms and a hallway on one charge. Went back to the doc recharged and finished where it left off. I think it's quieter than my Roomba 530.

bcross23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcross23
molex wrote:I wish people would learn what the word "literally" means.

Because what you just described is that you have intercourse with your vacuum. It's literally one of the worst uses of literally I've ever seen.

The word "love" does NOT mean intercourse...