rocque

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rocque
FiftyFootMocha wrote:I was just thinking, "He has over 100 woot purchases and never noticed an email about them before?Um...."

Wake up and read the emails! After you smell the coffee of course. They are great about reminding you that you just spent money in case you were asleep when you made your purchase.

mrjedsnyder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrjedsnyder

I've been trying to use a $20 off coupon for this. It will allow it to apply to code, but I get a payment denied? What gives?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 167 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mrjedsnyder wrote:I've been trying to use a $20 off coupon for this. It will allow it to apply to code, but I get a payment denied? What gives?

The coupon may be working, but your type of payment may be experiencing issues (PayPal/CC). Try using an alternate form of payment or making sure your bank is approving the transaction.

If you encounter further issues, let us know here and we can help you out.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
daglol wrote:do i need a stand?

Well, if you and your partner weigh in at under 350lbs total, perhaps a swingin' one night stand! ;-)

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

ckeilah

dc4all wrote:Holy underpaid members of the Party, Mei Lan!

http://www.aliexpress.com/price/double-parachute-hammock-price.html

Beware that alibaba site. My experience has been poor. Anyone else been bait&switched, and/or ripped off by the sellers there?

msswank

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msswank
riskmomtx wrote:Will this hold two people if it is called a double hammock?

The specs say it holds up to 350 pounds. So, if the two people combined weigh less than that, theoretically it should hold two.

ckeilah

Costs about the same as making your own, and you don't have to set foot in a ZombieMart! ;-)

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

He says $10, but he doesn't account for the emotional trauma of going to ZombieMart, not the trip cost, etc.

It would be sweet if woot could get this same deal on a properly matched mosquito net, and rain tarp for us.... :-)

Now, go lie down in your hammock while I lay out a grammar lesson, courtesy of The American Heritage dictionary, the definitive reference for American English: USAGE NOTE: Lay (“to put, place, or prepare”) and lie (“to recline or be situated”) have been confused for centuries; evidence exists that lay has been used to mean “lie” since the 1300s. Why? First, there are two lay s. One is the base form of the verb lay, and the other is the past tense of lie. Second, lay was once used with a reflexive pronoun to mean “lie” and survives in the familiar line from the child’s prayer Now I lay me down to sleep; lay me down is easily shortened to lay down. Third, lay down, as in She lay down on the sofa sounds the same as laid down, as in I laid down the law to the kids. • By traditional usage prescription, these words should be kept distinct according to the following rules. Lay is a transitive verb and takes a direct object. Lay and its principal parts (laid, laying) are correctly used in the following examples: He laid (not lay) the newspaper on the table. The table was laid for four. Lie is an intransitive verb and cannot take an object. Lie and its principal parts (lay, lain, lying) are correctly used in the following examples: She often lies (not lays) down after lunch. When I lay (not laid) down, I fell asleep. The rubbish had lain (not laid) there a week. I was lying (not laying) in bed when he called. • There are a few exceptions to these rules. The phrasal verb lay for and the nautical use of lay, as in lay at anchor, though intransitive, are standard.

mrjedsnyder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrjedsnyder
ROGETRAY wrote:The coupon may be working, but your type of payment may be experiencing issues (PayPal/CC). Try using an alternate form of payment or making sure your bank is approving the transaction.

If you encounter further issues, let us know here and we can help you out.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

Good call. I forgot that I had temporarily changed to a now defunct CC. Thanks.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
gideonfrost wrote:Protip: If you're buying this as a gift for your girlfriend(fiancee) make sure you aren't signed in to her Woot account. It turns out Woot sends an email to the owner of the account. Thanks for ruining Christmas Woot!

If your Xmas is going to be "ruined" as a result of your lady friend knowing that you used her account to buy her a $20 hammock, you had very low expectations for a merry Xmas.

ssports

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ssports
ThunderThighs wrote:Seriously? You're blaming us for sending a confirmation email just like we always do?

We can't win.

Please stop banging yourself in the head, surely you know by now that you can't fix STUPID?

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua

"Yukon Outfitters double parachute hammock has become a staple at campgrounds and parks across the nation."

Which nation are we talking about? I couldn't find any info on it and as I read the posts neither has anyone else. If you can't find any info on this anywhere and Woot! had it special made for them.... how exactly has it "..become a staple.."?

rodan32

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rodan32
MuddyG wrote:I also started out with a hammock like this, and still use it for summer lounging; it's a great hammock. It definitely comes with two 'S' hooks, they are permanently attached to each end.

A cheap and very easy suspension system can be made by taking, for example, a 16 foot length of rope, folding it in half so that you have a double 8 foot length, and then tying a series of granny knots in the halved rope. You now have one side of your suspension system. Wrap the rope around the tree, and through one of the loops created by the knots, and then hang your 'S' hook on the knot at the appropriate length. Repeat for the other side. Using this method you can put your hammock up in about 1-2 minutes flat. These ropes be folded up and stored in the hammock stuff sack, no problem.

I know what they say about ropes; hopefully this type of system is not included in that, as I have never seen any tree damage from doing it this way. Hey, I love trees, and if I thought I was hurting trees, I wouldn't do it this way, but I also have a strap suspension system for a much more expensive camping hammock, and I don't see any difference with doing it this way.

Again, great hammock, and if you want a mosquito net, you can use the ENO Guardian, or rig your own. With a hiking tarp, such as the Kelty Noah's tarp, you have an awesome warm weather camping setup. But just on its own, this is a great lounging, napping hammock. Guaranteed to be super comfortable.

[If you don't understand my explanation of the rope tying, let me know and I will try to make it clearer]

I've been using something similar, but with webbing. Really just a daisy chain I can toss around a tree, cinch through one of the loops, and then tie up the hammock (mine's a Hennessy).

dgb2i

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dgb2i
tcope wrote:I'd not use this where the night time temp gets around 45 degrees... there is no insulation under your sleeping bag and your rear end (and back) can get pretty cold. Mr friend were at Outdoor Retailers a few years ago and bought 2 hammocks like this (very expensive). Coldness is what they complained about. We nick named them, "Bear Burritos". Manufacture did not want to use that name for some reason.

Bit late here, but you can string an underquilt below your hammock to keep cool air from rushing over the bottom of it during nights. It acts much like double-paned windows, keeping a layer of air between you and the underquilt. Most are pretty pricey, but I found a quick DIY on YouTube that is similar to how I made mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHJHVNFUFEA

shushine999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages shushine999

Got one for my cousin for Christmas. Then figured his girlfriend would be jealous that he got one and she didn't so I got her one as well.
Then I figured I'd be jealous that they each had one and I didn't, so I got one for me.
See how that works? EV-ry STINK-ing TIME.......the "buy 3" gets me. One by one, slowly, insidiously, it eats at my brain until I get all 3.

OrangeBug

quality posts: 4 Private Messages OrangeBug

The prior message to consult with www.hammockforums.net is still a really good idea. I've been using hammocks nearly 10 years, beginning with the Hennessy and now with Ed Speer's hammock. (I know, he sold the business).

Pea Pods, or under quilts are a great idea. It is a quilt (usually down) with narrow ends with draw strings to fit around the end of the hammock. Velcro is used to close the Pea Pod around the hammock and the user. A quilt in the hammock is fairly routine for even fair weather.

A similar system can be done for bug netting, but usually velcro attaches the netting to the top of the hammock, usually over the ridge line (essential addition). Bug netting isn't needed, obviously, when the weather is cold enough to use the Pea Pod.

A tarp is essential. I hang the tarp first, before getting the hammock out. String it on a ridge line above where you expect the attach the hammock to the tree. Anticipate the tarp to extend a foot on each end beyond the hammock. Stake it out or tie it to available bushes. Under the dry area, hang the hammock. If windy, hang it low. Tie a bandana or sock where the tarp hits the ridge line to divert rain water.I usually have the hammock tied off above the tarp's ridge line.

These look quite good. I'm getting two for a teen ager and near teen. They always fight me for my hammock.

It will be easy to use a daisy chain or webbing to attach these to the trees. Don't use a rope, as you will find tying knots with cold hands pretty hard. The webbing and daisy chain systems are clever and easy.

The ridge line can also be a cool place you hang you glasses, wallet and such. I usually hang wet clothe under the tarp's ridge line.

BTW, expect to lay diagonally in the hammock. You won't have a bent back and discomfort. Do not expect to sleep comfortably with two in a hammock. However, there are lots of things two can do with a hammock that makes sleep delightful.

MyPooka

quality posts: 16 Private Messages MyPooka

Yay on dimension and weight specs! In for one.

iamis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages iamis
bookofjoshua wrote:"Yukon Outfitters double parachute hammock has become a staple at campgrounds and parks across the nation."

Which nation are we talking about? I couldn't find any info on it and as I read the posts neither has anyone else. If you can't find any info on this anywhere and Woot! had it special made for them.... how exactly has it "..become a staple.."?

That is my concern too. I have a house that is full enough of stuff that was acquired at an "unbeatable price" only to be too poor in quality to be appreciated as the normally priced items would have been, yet too costly to want to discard or replace. One of my attractions to Woot was that I could research and calculate my risk with at least some corroborating evidence as to the quality and price. If this sneaky end-run becomes the norm I'm out of here.

And I so wanted to be in for two.

bookofjoshua

That has to be a record... I just received my shipping notification and the sale isn't even over!

bookofjoshua

iamis wrote:That is my concern too. I have a house that is full enough of stuff that was acquired at an "unbeatable price" only to be too poor in quality to be appreciated as the normally priced items would have been, yet too costly to want to discard or replace. One of my attractions to Woot was that I could research and calculate my risk with at least some corroborating evidence as to the quality and price. If this sneaky end-run becomes the norm I'm out of here.

And I so wanted to be in for two.

it's $20 with a warranty, I'm willing to bet it will make a great back yard nap hammock at the worst. I would be more concerned if it was a $80 hammock.

vonney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vonney
MyPooka wrote:I'll check back in the morning then. Hope you don't sell out prior to that time. Could you please add the dimensions to the specs in this Woot! listing so we don't have to search through comments?

Specs are there now
11' 6" Long x 6' 4" Wide

21 Ounces

In the box:

Love all, trust a few ~Shakespeare

MuddyG

quality posts: 9 Private Messages MuddyG

I should have bought at least 2 of these.

Filth. Flarn. Filth.

cloudedice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cloudedice

Was this manufacturer direct shipping? If not, I'm a little confused by my delivery confirmation. I suppose it'll show up in my office tomorrow when the shipping dock gets around to delivering it.

Delivered
December 05, 2012, 1:15 pm
HOPKINTON, MA 01748

Arrival at Post Office
December 05, 2012, 11:16 am
HOPKINTON, MA 01748

Electronic Shipping Info Received
December 05, 2012

sonicalflair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonicalflair

Got it today and set it up in my apartment! Super cool, thanks Woot!!

(edit) Atlanta, Ga!

justmejoseph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justmejoseph

I wasn't even expecting this package so soon. Usually, I wouldn't even expect it shipped yet, but wow woot, you guys got this one DOWN. Did you guys invent teleportation over in the wootquarters? Hooks up just fine on my dorm bed loft, and I'm in heaven laying in it. Wish I would've snagged a second, or a third one. Seems high quality material. S hooks are easy to attach to most things (including itself, which is what I decided to do, which I'm not sure is safe, but oh well, I'll only fall a foot or two

robanna7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robanna7

Got mine today. The dimensions are a bit deceiving. The hammock is 9'8" x 6'4". It's 11'6" with the included rope/s-hooks. It weighs in at 1lb. 5oz. With the rope and s-hooks. So that's right on.

injun51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages injun51

Hammocks are a great survival tool. If the unexpected happened when out in the wilderness, this would come in very handy to keep you up off of the wet cold ground. For the price, I couldn't make one this cheap because the fabric would cost more then this. Great buy.

ckeilah

About the same quality as my Grand Trunk. Oh woot! how you have failed us. -facepalm- for having ordered three.

White Elephant party anyone?

moam88

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moam88

This came super quick and the quality is on par with my EVO but way cheaper. Should have bought more.

parkercovieo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parkercovieo

I have one simple question... HOW DO YOU HANG THIS THING? It only has one hook on each end.

ckeilah

Moam88, you must have a factory-second EVO, or your wootamock is a special version. I'd be singing their praises if these wootamocks had been $10 instead of $20, but for $13 you can get a Grand Trunk that's almost the same quality.

Hang your EVO next to your wootamock and notice all the little quality differences. The EVO feels just fine. The wootamock feels like you'd better be very gentle with it, or you'll find your butt on the ground. It's just very thin material, and the seams seem hurriedly sewn together.

STLDAVIS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages STLDAVIS
wootmeharder wrote:A "Double" hammock with a weight limit of only 350lbs? This is obviously not meant for use here in the US.

I used mine for the first time today and the hook bent open and i got 5 staples in my head. I'm about 120 lbs UNDER the weight limit.

STLDAVIS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages STLDAVIS
parkercovieo wrote:I have one simple question... HOW DO YOU HANG THIS THING? It only has one hook on each end.

and it is a weak hook as i found out today, shortly before my trip to the er from the flying hook resulting in 5 staples on my scalp.

bradyarz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyarz

My hammock has treated me well so far, although I did not use the included s-hooks. I took it on two camping trips, both under 30 degrees F, and it worked out just fine. Make sure to check out under blankets and top quilts! (I used sleeping bags - they serve double purpose quite well)

Unfortunately now I've been bitten by the hammock bug and I've spend about $120 in various accessories (tree straps/whoopie slings/ridgelines/atlas straps/'biners/figure 9s/etc)

For those wondering how it holds up to the weight, me plus gear in the hammock is about 260lbs or so.

barrel of crops 4/26/12

beastyribs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages beastyribs

When will you offer these again WOOT?
I really need to pick up 2 of these!