bigdaddykraven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigdaddykraven
LilSmurth wrote:Hey woot community. I have a few questions.

1) My living room is 13.6" x 15." Will this setup be too much? *I might be in a bigger living room in the near future*

2) I currently have the Logitech Z-5500s. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-Certified-Digital-Surround-Speaker/dp/B0002WPSBC
They are a 5.1 setup and sound great. Have had them for the last 5-6 years now. Is it worth upgrading to the Onkyos? Better sound? I could retire the Z-5500s to my PC setup.

3) Does the receiver allow HDMI pass through? Want to be able to connect all connections in the back and have one HDMI going from the receiver to my Plasma.

Thank everyone so much in advance for your response.

Description says it has 6 HDMI Ins and 1 HDMI out so I would say yes...

rvessell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvessell
covert0p5 wrote:Dang, I just bought the Onkyo deal that was up a couple of weeks ago! However, I love it and $200 for that 5.1 system was a good deal.

Same here, using my 20 year old Acoustic Research as my front A speakers and some Klipsch outdoor on my patio for the B. Been working great so far and the Onkyo center and surround speakers sound way better than my JBL's..

And for $200, you can't beat the sound it puts out...

DaveTheWave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DaveTheWave
dtbramlett wrote:Quick question from someone relatively new to the home audio field.

I have been looking at best buy to get a home theater system. i was planning to spend $500-800. The salesperson suggested i look at the bose GS series 2 ~$720.

I would like to get some opinons on whether i should get the Onkyo, Bose GS S2, or something else altogether. Thoughts?

Sure they suggested the bose... he makes a killing on the comission. I used to sell them and they do sound nice. This is a great deal on this system.

sniffersrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniffersrow

1) My living room is 13.6" x 15." Will this setup be too much? *I might be in a bigger living room in the near future*

2) I currently have the Logitech Z-5500s. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-Certified-Digital-Surround-Speaker/dp/B0002WPSBC
They are a 5.1 setup and sound great. Have had them for the last 5-6 years now. Is it worth upgrading to the Onkyos? Better sound? I could retire the Z-5500s to my PC setup.

3) Does the receiver allow HDMI pass through? Want to be able to connect all connections in the back and have one HDMI going from the receiver to my Plasma.

1: Yes
2: The perception of sound is different for everybody. However, just based on the ability to handle more power, better THD levels, and not a simple HTiaB setup, you should like these better.
3: Yes, HDMI 1.4 w/ARC support

taylor6400

quality posts: 1 Private Messages taylor6400
jmazzeo wrote:If I don't have the room for a 7.1 setup, can this be used in a 5.1 setup?

im not an audiophile...but i would assume so. But i dont see why you cant just set it up as 7.1 regardless. Its just 2 additional side speakers between the fronts and rears.

tmvijai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmvijai

Can anyone answer my questions?

tmvijai wrote:I been on a look out for good Home theatre system which has good output and multizone. I been looking at NR515 receiver and this one seems to have everything it has and more including PC IN as well. That's great. My questions, are the satellite speakers very heavy. Can I still able to mount in the ceiling? NR515 has 2 USB and 2 HDMI out. Since I plan to connect the LAN, i don't need for wifi adapter and 1 USB is fine but 2 HDMI? Why do we need it?

Another concern many raise is about the ONKYO receivers getting hot. It's going to be in a cabinet in home theatre room. Is it going to be ok?

jbr3416

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbr3416

The Subwoofer only shows 120w output. Isn't that kind of low? What should a good output be for a surround sound systems?. I thought it should be around 180 to 200w is normal. Any thoughts please.

LilSmurth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LilSmurth
sniffersrow wrote:1: Yes
2: The perception of sound is different for everybody. However, just based on the ability to handle more power, better THD levels, and not a simple HTiaB setup, you should like these better.
3: Yes, HDMI 1.4 w/ARC support

Thanks! If I connect component, will component pass through hdmi?

LilSmurth

tmvijai wrote:Can anyone answer my questions?

As long as you properly mount the speakers, I think you should be fine. Don't know as far as the floorstanding speakers though, lol.

Unless you have proper airflow through your cabin, I wouldn't recommend putting it in a cabin as they do heat up to some degree. Also depends on how much continuous use it will be on in a day. If not much, then you should be fine, but if it will be on for hours on end, not a good idea as they heat will get hotter and hotter in the enclosed space.

no expert here, but this is what I have read.

addisonj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages addisonj

The specs list the front speakers at over 10 inch wide. That seemed pretty wide from the pictures. Looking at the manual (http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/sks-ht728_manual_e.pdf) it seems to indicate that dimension includes the speaker base. Anyone have info on what the width of just the speaker is?

donthaveone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donthaveone
dtbramlett wrote:Quick question from someone relatively new to the home audio field.

I have been looking at best buy to get a home theater system. i was planning to spend $500-800. The salesperson suggested i look at the bose GS series 2 ~$720.

I would like to get some opinons on whether i should get the Onkyo, Bose GS S2, or something else altogether. Thoughts?

BOSE = CRAP

rimerson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rimerson

I bought another Onkyo amplifier a few weeks ago. I can't find the code to make my Comcast/Xfinity remote turn it off and on. All codes turn it off but none seem to turn it on. I called Onkyo and they didn't know. Quite frustrating. Guess I'll add one more remote to the pile. Also it was too tall to fit in my cabinet with other equipment.

mikedburke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikedburke
Bucuresci wrote:Title writes Onkyo 7.1.
Technical description writes 7.2
Which one is it?

There is no 7.2 standard. there is a left and right channel though for the subwoofer that this does support only it comes with one actual subwoofer so you would need to buy a second.

LilSmurth

So I get paid tonight at midnight EST. I wonder if your debit card has to clear at the time of purchase. Was thinking of purchasing late tonight and then my check gets deposited to cover the transaction.

Also, does this receiver support 3D?

donthaveone

pukeboy wrote:So, would this be too much sound in a roughly 600ft² apartment?

Is there really any such thing as "Too much sound"? This is an excellent system at a reasonable price. Onkyo is very good stuff. Use the volume control knob to adjust to your listening area...

mikedburke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikedburke
scotttampa wrote:Anyone know if this comes with speaker wire, or do I need a roll for delivery day? Thx!

I heard it comes with cheap speaker wire, you may want to upgrade it.

donthaveone

cyannah wrote:Old Matador, I'd really appreciate some knowledge here.

I bought the Onkyo 5.1 deal about ten days ago. We couldn't find one of the speaker wires. My husband brought the instruction book to Radio Shack and the salesman said we need to phone the manufacturer to ask what size speaker gauge. We got the impression that if you don't get the right size, you can blow the speakers out. Do you know what size speaker wire we should ask for? BTW, the system works great. No way could we have sprung for this one.

Thank you so much!

A different gauge speaker wire will not harm the system at all. It's still driven at 8ohms. The only thing that might change with a different speaker wire is the phase of the speaker or possibly some of the clarity. I would recommend buyig a spool of 16 or 14 gauge wire and replacing it all. Make sure the lengths to each of the L & R speakers are the same. Common wire length is more important than gauge.

donthaveone

Just over a foot by a foot and a quarter? I don't think my FOOT would fit in your living room!!!

All kidding aside, why would you worry about a system being too much for a room? If the price is good, use the volume control knob to control how much sound you get.

Onkyo makes great receivers. I have been through several. I tried Marantz once because someone said it was better, but I switched back to Onkyo.

My speakers a Klipsch, which might be slitghly better than Onkyo speakers, but this looks to be a pretty awesome system for the price.

donthaveone

taylor6400 wrote:im not an audiophile...but i would assume so. But i dont see why you cant just set it up as 7.1 regardless. Its just 2 additional side speakers between the fronts and rears.

Actually, that's [i]technically[\i] not true.

In a 5.x set up, there are no "rear" speakers. They are really "side" speakers. The speakers added by going to a 7.x setup actually add true rear speakers. So, to be precise, going from 5.x to 7.x adds left & right speakers behind the listener.

Most people do put 5.x "rears" behind them, but that's not actually the correct placement for them. They should be slightly ahead of the listener and to the side.

A 9.x setup adds left and right "high front" speakers, but I don't think any blu-rays are encoded for that.

Djrcourt101

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Djrcourt101
kitte92 wrote:really? I 'd want to buy one, but it is still a little expensive to me, what do you think this promotion?

Got them for roughly the same price with a 72 hour sale they had only difference was free shipping. So this seems pretty good price wise.

donthaveone

LilSmurth wrote:Thanks! If I connect component, will component pass through hdmi?

The information seems to indicate that it does upscale component to HDMI. So if you connect a device to the component input on the receiver, it will send that signal over HDMI to your monitor (TV).

donthaveone

donthaveone wrote:Just over a foot by a foot and a quarter? I don't think my FOOT would fit in your living room!!!

All kidding aside, why would you worry about a system being too much for a room? If the price is good, use the volume control knob to control how much sound you get.

Onkyo makes great receivers. I have been through several. I tried Marantz once because someone said it was better, but I switched back to Onkyo.

My speakers a Klipsch, which might be slitghly better than Onkyo speakers, but this looks to be a pretty awesome system for the price.

I feel I should clarify the "I have been thru several" comment. I was a very early adopter of home theater. My first Onkyo receiver (actually an upscale model from Integra) was from an era before HDMI and Blu-ray.

Large format TVs were CRT rear-projection and were outrageously priced.

When rear projection came out, there still was not an HDMI standard.

My first HDMI receiver was the Marantz, and as I said, I switched back to Onkyo after a few months with the Marantz.

So my "several" Onkyo receivers were not replaced because of quality or failure issues, they were merely capability upgrades.

tred009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tred009

This is SUCH a better system. You are going to save $220 and be SUCH a happier camper... I'm sorry but Bose is SEVERLY over priced and can't touch decent HT equipment. No self respecting Home Theater enthusiast (even us blank flank-ish types) would rock Bose... Do your self a favor and pull the trigger on this deal. I just installed a Tx-616 (2013 model of this receiver basically) and I've NEVER been happier.

bgzars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bgzars

Most home theater enthusiasts (and I'll go ahead and put myself in that category) discourage people from Bose. You pay a heavy price for branding, and it rarely offers the connectivity options as equipment at half the price. The speakers on any home theater in a box will be suspect. My guess is the ones in this Onkyo package are about the same as some Bose speakers. My big beef with Bose speakers are that, for their price, they are crap. Paper woofers, cheap glue, you get the idea. Those things are okay as long as the speakers are priced accordingly.
This Onkyo package is pretty decent at $500. You'll certainly be satisfied with it.

bgzars

LilSmurth wrote:So I get paid tonight at midnight EST. I wonder if your debit card has to clear at the time of purchase. Was thinking of purchasing late tonight and then my check gets deposited to cover the transaction.

Also, does this receiver support 3D?

Yes it supports 3d - even 4k resolution

tguy7022

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tguy7022

I have a question...I'll be replacing Bose surround that have wall-mount brackets, does anyone know anything about the wall mounting hardware?

gtouchstone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gtouchstone
donthaveone wrote:I feel I should clarify the "I have been thru several" comment. >>>>>>>>>

So my "several" Onkyo receivers were not replaced because of quality or failure issues, they were merely capability upgrades.

I appreciate that clarification as I was wondering. Thanks.

bgzars

donthaveone wrote:The information seems to indicate that it does upscale component to HDMI. So if you connect a device to the component input on the receiver, it will send that signal over HDMI to your monitor (TV).

Yes it will. You can connect with the pc input, too, and the hdmi will pass through. And the composite "yellow" cables, too. Sometimes with older devices - like an old school Nintendo - the hdmi pass through doesn't behave well. But this is rare.

bgzars

1) - I don't think it would be too much. You will definitely be able to make the room rumble, though.

2) - The real deal here is the receiver. The speakers might be better, they might not. I wouldn't buy this package based solely on the speakers, though.Buy it for the receiver.

3) - Yes it has hdmi pass through

slickvikd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slickvikd

Does anyone know if these Klipsch speakers have a better sound quality than the Onkyos? They are the same price.
Klipsch HD Theater 600 Home Theater System + Free RX-V471 Yamaha 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver: http://tinyurl.com/ag7a4ee

bgzars

slickvikd wrote:Does anyone know if these Klipsch speakers have a better sound quality than the Onkyos? They are the same price.
Klipsch HD Theater 600 Home Theater System + Free RX-V471 Yamaha 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver: http://tinyurl.com/ag7a4ee

I wouldn't expect a whole lot from either package speaker-wise. I usually advise people to get the receiver you want. If it comes with speakers, great. You can get started. But if you really want great sound, you will need to upgrade the speakers over time. Then you get sucked into this whole world and your wife is mad at you for buying new $600 dipole surrounds that sound "wicked" on Jurassic Park. Be warned!

bgzars

tguy7022 wrote:I have a question...I'll be replacing Bose surround that have wall-mount brackets, does anyone know anything about the wall mounting hardware?

I can't tell you with certainty, but these types of speakers typically hang off a screw in the wall, not unlike a picture frame. Others will have a threaded hole for purchasing separate "universal" mounts that pivot. Some have both.

donthaveone

slickvikd wrote:Does anyone know if these Klipsch speakers have a better sound quality than the Onkyos? They are the same price.

The Onkyo here is a better receiver than the Yamaha. I wouldn't expect too much from TiB speakers. Get it for the receiver and worry about the speakers when you have the bucks.

cspunisher

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cspunisher

Does anybody know how the bass is on this system? The power output from the sub seems very low.

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa

Does anyone know what type of outlet on my PC I need to plug into this? I currently plug DVI from computer to big screen, with an HDMI adapter on end. DVI, however, is video only... so if that goes to receiver, then how does the receiver get the SOUND from my PC... I use PC as my DVR/Windows Media Center, so this is VERY IMPORTANT, as the PC is the main device. Thanks SO much fellow wooters! :-)

Spothaniel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spothaniel

Looking for some Woot! insight. While I know that when it comes to home theater equipment, you get what you pay for, I'm piecing together a economical starter set for my apartment through the assistance of woot, just waiting on a good receiver to pop up.

Here's what I've got so far...

Energy Take Classic 5-Piece Home Theater System
http://sellout.woot.com/offers/take-classic-5pc-speaker-system-1

Polk Audio Sub (courtesy of Amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359567556&sr=1-1

So my question is this... do I "woot it out" for a decent receiver to complete the set, or return/sell the above and go with this one? The above has set me back about $210 so far, so a receiver will probably put me between 350-400. I can invest a little more money if this is worth it.

hzzz503

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hzzz503

Should I go with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WGJX5A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 and a receiver or get this Onkyo 7.1CH 3D?

First time setting up a Home Theater System.

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
jmazzeo wrote:If I don't have the room for a 7.1 setup, can this be used in a 5.1 setup?

I think it can be used for 5.1 if you wanted, but I think you can also set it up like this:

Instead of having extra rear channels, you'll have extra front channels that are suppose to project sound over you to create a better sound field. (think helicopter noise coming from above you)
Source: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-iiz-details.html

dsnyder1123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsnyder1123
donthaveone wrote:The information seems to indicate that it does upscale component to HDMI. So if you connect a device to the component input on the receiver, it will send that signal over HDMI to your monitor (TV).

Yes, it will.

Reference:
I have an original xbox with component video and optical out connected to my Onkyo receiver and HDMI out to the TV.

dsnyder1123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsnyder1123
scotttampa wrote:Does anyone know what type of outlet on my PC I need to plug into this? I currently plug DVI from computer to big screen, with an HDMI adapter on end. DVI, however, is video only... so if that goes to receiver, then how does the receiver get the SOUND from my PC... I use PC as my DVR/Windows Media Center, so this is VERY IMPORTANT, as the PC is the main device. Thanks SO much fellow wooters! :-)

In the Onkyo GUI, you can combine your video signal through HDMI from your computer with a separate optical/coaxial/stereo sound connection. The sound will furthermore be included in the HDMI connection from the receiver to your TV.

All you need on your computer is a SPDIF optical/coaxial port or use an RCA stereo adapter cable plugged into your headphone jack.

I currently have a DVI/HDMI cable connected to an Onkyo receiver with optical sound, so I can verify that it does work.