derfid492

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derfid492

On today's woot---NO SIZE 46? (11 1/2 to 12)?

shanesny

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shanesny

I am NOT an athlete. What I am is a guy in his mid-thirties who took up running to combat what I viewed as a mostly sedentary life (desk job, long commute). I used to swim competitively in High School… but that was nearly 20 years ago!

I ran 2-1/2 miles in a pair of Bikila's last night – and I love them. Buying another pair for $28 was a no-brainer. Easiest and quickest woot! purchase ever.

…and I might as well be the first to bring this up…. (it was bound to happen soon or later). Go pick up a copy of “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall. It’ll change your mind about minimalist running.

whitehatsforhire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitehatsforhire
dreweasland wrote:EASE INTO USING THESE, PLEASE.

I have more clients that complain about knees/shins/etc. after buying these and wearing them for EVERYTHING.

Your feet are accustomed to being overly supported. It'd be like your grandma taking off her bra, jumping on a trampoline for an hour straight and then wondering why her boobs hurt.

That being said, I've heard wonderful things about Vibrams in general. Nothing I'd ever use, though.

Thanks man, now I can't get that image of grandma out of my head....

You must not be holding your face right.

pmuscian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmuscian

I am wearing a pair of the Vibram KSOs right now and they are totally comfortable, so I am in for one pair of the Bikilas. This is a great price that I just couldn't resist ;-). It did help that I'd already gone through in-store trying-sizing at REI so I knew what size to order here. It takes a little practice getting your toes lined up to fit the right toe slots but after a few times that's no biggie. These shoes provide the right combination of practicality and kewl-ness

vanstrien

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vanstrien
joecooool wrote:I hated these shoes, none of my toes fit.

Ditto. I tried these because a friend suggested them. I don't use them because my toes don't fit well and they're just plain uncomfortable. Thankfully they were cheap!

sandzoftime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandzoftime

Thanks for the link to the sizing - I stared at the numbers blankly!!

Schmilsson1969 wrote:http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/size_fit/

To get the size you need...

Shaw11946

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Shaw11946
theglasswalker wrote:Foot measurement from heel to longest toe. Keep in mind it isn't always your big toe. Mine is the one next to it.

Me too. My mom said it is a sign of being a leader. I call it the Leader Toe.

figsandmice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages figsandmice
dreweasland wrote:
Your feet are accustomed to being overly supported. It'd be like your grandma taking off her bra, jumping on a trampoline for an hour straight and then wondering why her boobs hurt.

One of the best analogies ever. I love my Vibrams, but yeah, you have to take it slow.

HaeSuse

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HaeSuse

Killer deal. Even though they are an ugly color scheme, I'm in for 1.

- - -

lmiyoshi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lmiyoshi

I bought these last time for hiking. I wasn't sure I'd like them because I don't like the thing between my toes on flip flops... but a friend swears by them and it's a great price.

I hate how they look (hobbit feet), but I love how they feel! I will be buying another pair today (great timing!) because our foster dog thought one of them was a chew toy.

mpaullet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpaullet
starmanbackwards wrote:Vibram anything is the way to go.....the top will wear out before the bottom will ....thats been my experience with hiking boots...i know..apples and oranges

That's been mine and my friends' experiences, too, with the Vibram running shoes. I had a pair of Treks for nearly two years before a toe ripped, though the soles look nearly pristine, and I'd taken them through a lot of mud runs and rocky terrain. The fabric and seams are the weakest parts.

kokomojoeb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kokomojoeb
SolaraGuy wrote:For $4 more you can get 2 different colors from here: http://www.6pm.com/vibram-fivefingers-bikila-light-grey-red-grey

Gotta watch some sellers online. I know at one time you could only buy Vibrams from online retailers that also had a brick-n-mortar store. Most you see on sites like eBay are fakes. I love my Vibram's. Get a lot of strange looks from people though. That might be what makes them more fun!!

rowergirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowergirl
neploxo wrote:I HATE Vibram's sizing. REI NEVER has the smaller men's sizes, and according to Vibram's web sizing chart: "If your foot size measures below 9 1/2 inches, look at Women’s models.
If your foot size measures above 10 3/8 inches, look at Men’s Models." Mine are exactly 10", bigger than the largest women's size and smaller than the smallest men's size. What am *I* supposed to do? And they don't offer the same designs and materials in all their men's vs women's sizes. This has prevented me ever buying Vibram. Hope someone from their company is paying attention to these comments.

I'd double-check the size charts if you have a 10" foot - I'm a woman with ~10.125" - 10.25" feet, and comfortably wear 41s in women's sizes (I have a pair of bikilas, among many others). A 10" foot puts you solidly into the women's sizes - a 40/41. I can also do a 40 in the men's sizes, although they fit a little looser.

mpaullet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpaullet
derfid492 wrote:On today's woot---NO SIZE 46? (11 1/2 to 12)?

REI is clearing out some stock online with more sizes available.

biggoron

quality posts: 11 Private Messages biggoron

I bought these on sport.woot the last time they were on. I got a 43, because thats the size I was according to the site. The length was a bit short, and the top was digging into the top of my foot. tempted to buy the size 44 or 45 this time.

Quality post? Me??

oldquilt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldquilt

I tried to buy two, on for me and one for DH but Woot wouldn't let me put both in the shopping cart. So I had to pay $5 shipping for the second pair - I guess the $5 shipping for all you can buy is gone, eh?

Kristine Driessen

jeffflanagan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffflanagan
jenniferspaws wrote:But...but... I just bought the four-toed skeletoes... Argh.

So did I and they're awful. The arch is too high and mispositioned.

Maybe these are better.

omoomo

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omoomo
dreweasland wrote:It'd be like your grandma taking off her bra, jumping on a trampoline for an hour straight and then wondering why her boobs hurt.

Pro Tip: Any sentence with the words "Grandma" and "boobs" should be avoid at all times.

/Grabs brain bleach

JasonBartholme

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JasonBartholme

I have that exact style and 3 other pairs of VFFs. Those were my first pair and I have over 700 miles on them and wear toe shoes whenever I can. It's been said before, but it bears repeating, you need to slowly work your way into wearing them regularly. Your legs and feet will hurt of you transition to fast, but it is worth it. The bonus is some well-toned calves.

pipscat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages pipscat

I bought these last time they were available here. My first pair of Vibrams, after having wanted a pair for a couple of years. ($100 price tag wasn't happening!)

My thoughts are as follows:

If you're looking for a pair of barefoot shoes, this isn't the model you want. The soles are thicker and more sturdy. You don't get the amount of movement & feeling you do with some of their other models.

You really do need to measure your feet to get the correct size. I saw a few size comparison charts and, if I had followed them, I would have wound up with a shoe that was way too big for me. Measuring, though, gave me the perfect size for my foot.

Vibrams do work for wide feet. I typically need either W or WW, but because of the way these are made, that's usually not a problem, except..

This particular model can be really tight across the top of the foot. Supposedly, if you wear them enough, you can break them in to the point where that's not a problem.

If you're used to being barefoot, you still need to get used to wearing Vibrams. The learning curve might be less steep, and might take less time, but they're not quite the same as being barefoot, and your feet do need some time to adjust.

----

After purchasing this pair, and giving them about a week to figure out what I liked, I wound up buying a pair of Classics from 6pm. I honestly like those a lot better, but I'm not a runner - I just needed a pair of shoes to wear when I'm not barefoot (which I am 90% of the time.) I've since broken in my Classics, and love them to death, but my Bikilas are still tight and a bit uncomfortable. I will definitely be buying Vibrams again... Just not this model.

Basket of Crayfish/Bucket of Coral - 6/26/12
Balloons of Celebration - 7/12/12

rockinrandal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockinrandal

How are they size wise? Do they run small or true to measurement of your foot?

munkycrazy

quality posts: 8 Private Messages munkycrazy

I ordered, then realized I should have got a different size. I emailed WOOT to see if it could be change. Hoping I hear back before they sell out of the other size.

marianneland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marianneland

I am wondering about the toe length? Can anyone speak to the toe length of the shoes? I have very short stubby toes, rather than long monkey fingers, and I am wondering if that means the Vibram sizing will result in the toe connections digging inbetween my toes because the 'norm' is a longer toe. Maybe that's not clear... Most sandals for example that have a molded raised area in front of the pad and behind the toes for foot fit, place the molded area in my foot pad rather than between it and the toes, because my toes are so short... Just wondering...

ricka182

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ricka182

How are these for fat footed folk like myself?

I wear a size 11 1/2 usually, but must also wear 4E width.. 5E would be a better fit, but those are nearly imposible to find at any local store..

I'd like to try these for the price...but don't want them if they are only good for skinny feet.

Any help? Thx

...i remain, he who remains to be...

robbinlynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robbinlynn

I WISH they had my size in these. I am a total convert - Five Fingers are about all I wear anymore, but I take a 38-39 depending on the style. I ADORE them.

robbinlynn

pecksnif wrote:The is the USA - speak English and use proper shoe size

You really can't for these. They don't even truly correspond to the European sizes. I would recommend that unless you have tried them on to get the recommended size that I would hesitate. But if you have a lunch break to find a box store to get your size worked out (or, like me, you know what your size is) these are an EXCELLENT deal.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kalayna5282 wrote:Anybody else unable to get *any* photos to load? I had the same issue last time around... which colors are they?

Could you please PM me some details:

Device
OS & version
Browser & version

Anything else you can think of that would help us figure out the problem.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

darhp758

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darhp758
Pufferfishy wrote:This is a tough call. I have a pair of the Injinji toe socks (crazy expensive) and they are paper thin. So if your Vibrams have a tiny bit of room you're ok. But if your brand is thicker, or your Vibrams are already skin tight, you may not like the fit.

Personally - I'd think the socks would exacerbate sweat issues. It is, after all, another layer. As I stated above, I wear my Sprints to the gym - and I sweat like a rented mule. The socks just get soaked and then so do the shoes.

rhanlives

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rhanlives

"FiveFingers Bikila Shoes" These things are just *wrong*. They should be "FiveToes Bikila Shoes".

Jandurin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jandurin

great they have my size in women's but not men's

curses

digitalmaster

quality posts: 6 Private Messages digitalmaster

If you have wide feet, I suggest that you pass on these.

if you are overweight, I suggest that you pass on these.

I got Vibrams-crazy a couple of years ago and bought several different pairs, and these were extremely tight and uncomfortable. I were a size 12 and I have very wide feet.

As for why I don't recomend these for heavy people, it is because these things will solve a bunch of problems, but will cause or exasperate existing problems if you have plantar fasciitis.

I completely stopped having back pain and loved wearing these on a regular basis, but my planter fasciatus got extremely worse, to a point where I now have to wear orthopedic shoes. I don't care what the lovers of this shoe says, as I said, I have 3 pairs and I am telling You, this will either cause or, increase your pain for planter fasciatus after a few months of use if you are overweight. I have read reviews from some people who are not overweight and say they had the same problem.

firstcrack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firstcrack

I wear size 12. Conversion chart gives me size 45/46 European. Foot measures 11 inches which is 43 in Vibram. Help.

unmanned

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unmanned

I would love to try these but alas I cannot. I have webbed toes.

yduras

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yduras
neploxo wrote:I HATE Vibram's sizing. REI NEVER has the smaller men's sizes, and according to Vibram's web sizing chart: "If your foot size measures below 9 1/2 inches, look at Women’s models.
If your foot size measures above 10 3/8 inches, look at Men’s Models." Mine are exactly 10", bigger than the largest women's size and smaller than the smallest men's size. What am *I* supposed to do? And they don't offer the same designs and materials in all their men's vs women's sizes. This has prevented me ever buying Vibram. Hope someone from their company is paying attention to these comments.

The men's and women's sizes overlap, though. I'm right in the middle, too, and I've worn both the largest women's size and one of the smallest men's interchangeably.

Granted, when there are sales, those edge sizes are the first to go, but they do exist.

Jandurin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jandurin
yduras wrote:The men's and women's sizes overlap, though. I'm right in the middle, too, and I've worn both the largest women's size and one of the smallest men's interchangeably.

Granted, when there are sales, those edge sizes are the first to go, but they do exist.

yeah i'm about 10.25" so my size is ALWAYS GONE it seems i guess it'd be a 40 mens

simyri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simyri
jenniferspaws wrote:But...but... I just bought the four-toed skeletoes... Argh.

I've had both & I promise the Vibrams are WAY better. I did my 1st Tough Mudder in a pair of skeletoes & I was messing with the velcro the entire time.... very frustrating. Plus they seem more rigid. I absolutely love my Vibrams & never have a problem with them trying to come loose & they are great for climbing, swimming, & running. The last 2 Tough Mudders I did was with the same pair of Vibrams. Just had to wash them & they are still good to go <3

slothman608

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slothman608
osupikapp1 wrote:you can open the box and if you already have a pair can go run a 5k without blisters and such... but do heed the warnings about going slow and breaking in your feet and calves.. you will regret it if you dont.

Absolutely the truth. I "broke my body" in to these shoes while training for a half marathon, and just before the race the soles began separating. So I bought a new pair the night before the race. Used 'em for the race, no problems whatsoever.
I love my vibrams, just bought a another pair (two days ago from REI, not here). This deal is awesome.

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
theglasswalker wrote:This is my 5th pair of Vibrams. Would have purchased the pair on Sport.Woot at the end of March, but they sold out of my size too quickly.

5 pairs in how long? Do they fall apart quickly?

robbinlynn

digitalmaster wrote:If you have wide feet, I suggest that you pass on these.

if you are overweight, I suggest that you pass on these.

I got Vibrams-crazy a couple of years ago and bought several different pairs, and these were extremely tight and uncomfortable. I were a size 12 and I have very wide feet.

As for why I don't recomend these for heavy people, it is because these things will solve a bunch of problems, but will cause or exasperate existing problems if you have plantar fasciitis.

I completely stopped having back pain and loved wearing these on a regular basis, but my planter fasciatus got extremely worse, to a point where I now have to wear orthopedic shoes. I don't care what the lovers of this shoe says, as I said, I have 3 pairs and I am telling You, this will either cause or, increase your pain for planter fasciatus after a few months of use if you are overweight. I have read reviews from some people who are not overweight and say they had the same problem.

I have occasional bouts of plantar fascitis (and very high arches) and have had no problems at all. I am about 20 lb overweight.

hskr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hskr

Do not try using the size comparison chart between the US sizes and the Vibram sizes. I wear a size 12 US shoe, but depending on the model of Vibrams, I wear either a 44 or a 45 in these toe shoes. The Bikilas I wear a 45. The KSOs I bought a 45, but really need a 44 or some of the toe socks. I don't have wide feet so these fit my feet just fine. I highly recommend anyone buying these for the first time go to a store and try them on in person. The foot measuring thing they had at REI told me I needed a 43? They were way to small. But my second toe is longer than my big toe.

Bottom line, if you are unsure which size to order, then don't order them until you can try on a pair in person to know what size you need.