simpleatl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simpleatl

[No. That's the best part of this deal, it comes with a "Lifetime" subscription! Simple.TV will allow you to receive all your current over-the-air channels and allow you to schedule and record TV series or episodes than you can watch on an iPad, Android device, PC or Mac from anywhere in world. Or simply watch your favorite Live TV shows whenever or wherever you are.

quote postid="5577370" user="bjwca"]Is there a monthly subscription fee to Simple.TV for this? If so, how much and why?

What service is Simple.TV providing that would warrant a subscription fee? I'm using a free over-the-air TV signal, and my own home network... what am I missing?[/quote]

GossipNinja

quality posts: 4 Private Messages GossipNinja
jeezmos wrote:I was hoping to use this on my Sony nsz-gs7 Google TV. Alas, it is not supported:

https://twitter.com/simpletv/status/384018702691090433

yep that puts me out. At least with other devices, like hd homerun or avermedia 1 tuner (got for $25) I can sideload app.

Wonder if they will support it when the gs7 gets jelly bean?

GossipNinja

simpleatl wrote:[No. That's the best part of this deal, it comes with a "Lifetime" subscription! Simple.TV will allow you to receive all your current over-the-air channels and allow you to schedule and record TV series or episodes than you can watch on an iPad, Android device, PC or Mac from anywhere in world. Or simply watch your favorite Live TV shows whenever or wherever you are.

quote postid="5577370" user="bjwca"]Is there a monthly subscription fee to Simple.TV for this? If so, how much and why?

What service is Simple.TV providing that would warrant a subscription fee? I'm using a free over-the-air TV signal, and my own home network... what am I missing?

[/quote]

program guide, which are hard to come buy for free now (and tivo has stones charging $15 a month for it)

stvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stvy
mickeypink wrote:Don't hit me, please...I'm a techno-newbie. Does this work with Apple TV, by chance?

yes... you can stream your content from your Simple.TV via Airplay onto your TV. It's pretty cool.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17

Sounds nice,but I'm waiting for Aereo to go live in my town.

jreddington

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jreddington
roseangelo wrote:Ok, I've never had a DVR in my life and although I am generally tech-savvy, when it comes to these things I am completely clueless.

I don't have cable, just an OTA antenna. I have no desire to watch TV on my iPad or iPhone. BUT, it would be nice to be able to pause TV and/or occasionally record things. This seems like a good deal for my needs - is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this?

SURE. No HDMI port. SO IN ADDITION TO THE HARD DRIVE (which is OK), unless you have a networked "smart" TV, you have to buy, set up, and find yet another outlet for a Roku or Netgear device to actually watch what you recorded.

How "simple" is that?

My advice is to wait for the next generation which would add the obvious HDMI output.

mhutton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhutton
bjwca wrote:Is there a monthly subscription fee to Simple.TV for this? If so, how much and why?

What service is Simple.TV providing that would warrant a subscription fee? I'm using a free over-the-air TV signal, and my own home network... what am I missing?

This deal give you a lifetime subscription to their Simple.tv web application/service. There is no monthly fee if purchasing Simple.tv on this Woot deal. Simple.tv is in the early stage of development and similar to what Tivo did they are offering this lifetime option to early adopters. I hope they are going to support multi-stream cable card decoders at some point but until then it is a Simple.service allowing you to watch and record HD public TV program broadcasts.

simpleatl

Simple.TV is available today, and has NO monthly fees. In addition to iPad, PC, Mac it also supports Android devices. Couple good reasons to take advantage of this deal today.

dave17 wrote:Sounds nice,but I'm waiting for Aereo to go live in my town.

stvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stvy
friedlyd wrote:How big of a hard drive will I need?

it's depends on how much content you want to record... but anything between 500GB and 2TB would perfect... look for the best pricing.

connyptyryx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages connyptyryx

Don't ... just don't.
Glitches are expected, but this product has been constantly laden with problem after problem:
hard drive, installation, programming, roku, web interface, you name it.
the fast forward is the biggest pain.
Want a decent DVR experience? save yourself the headache and pony up the cash for a decent solution.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

Seems like a great geek toy once you've provided your own hard drive.

A) If you want to stream over the air TV (live or recorded) in your house or outside it, perhaps to your remotely located cabin with no over the air TV available (you'll need an Internet connection via land or mobile hot spot at the cabin) then this woot looks perfect.

B) However, if you're simply looking for DVR/pause live TV functionality on your TV then get a dedicated DVR or hook up your Windows PC with a tuner card. This woot gadget does not hook directly to your TV. You'd need an extra box like a Roku to do that.

We do both things in (B). The Magnavox DVR posted above is excellent, allows you to also burn off content to DVD, and has an amazing ecosystem of support on AVS Forum.

The Magnavox post:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5577121&pageindex=2&replycount=86#post5577316

bobcernohous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobcernohous

Same here 4-8 days shipping? Someone at woot can't count.

EddieAngel333 wrote:WARNING BEWARE I PURCHASED THIS AT THE LAST WOOT OFF AND IT HAS YET TO SHIP ! NO TRACKING NUMBER NOTHING !
I WAS JUST TOLD TO SIT TIGHT !
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP !
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOT RECEIVED THEIRS YET ?
STUFF I BOUGHT AFTER THE WOOT OFF HAS ALREADY SHIPPED !
BOUGHT ON SEPTEMBER 26 !
YOU HAVE BALLS PUTTING IT UP FOR SALE WHEN YOU CANT EVEN FILL ORDERS FROM LAST MONTH !
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM DON'T SELL THEM !

bluemaple

Is it really a DVR if it isn't... until you add your own hard drive? Nice surprise for those folks who miss this point.

GossipNinja

you know what, changed my mind and ordered one.

They "should" have android app soon (which I "should" be able to sideload to gtv). If not, I can likely set up a script to sync the mp4s off the box and onto the network to access that way.

But I figure it is an easy way to DVR a few things, namely for the wife.

simpleatl

I'm a Simple.TV employee and would be more than happy to address your comments. Do you have specifics on any of the items point to?
Set up is very easy, takes about 30-40 min. Hard drive, plug it in to the USB port and format it. Roku box is a simple hard wire connection (Ethernet)then search and launch the app from the Roku app store. Recording shows, use the Electronic Program Guide to select the show or series to record and bingo.

connyptyryx wrote:Don't ... just don't.
Glitches are expected, but this product has been constantly laden with problem after problem:
hard drive, installation, programming, roku, web interface, you name it.
the fast forward is the biggest pain.
Want a decent DVR experience? save yourself the headache and pony up the cash for a decent solution.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
bjwca wrote:Is there a monthly subscription fee to Simple.TV for this? If so, how much and why?

I also have been looking for this fee and cannot find it. It is probably listed somewhere in the description but this site is so busy finding things is not easy anymore. So I must assume it is a very high fee and I have moved on. But this post looks like what I want anyway:

casey00001 wrote:Why pay a subscription fee for Over the Air TV? You could just get a Magnavox DVR from Walmart and set the timer. Three different drive sizes, 320gb,500gb, 1TB. Starts about $238.00 no fees

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-DVR-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-320GB/20710260?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=25222198285&category=0%3A3944%3A1060825%3A95987&client_guid=d859135a-2910-4609-8d5f-5b3237ec46fc&customer_id_enc=112b0c545a59cdc02a4d6cbfe89a5b5f&config_id=2&parent_item_id=20710258&guid=770f0563-21e7-42a4-a539-273a80846d56&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n

bluemaple

If you want DVR functionality for over the air TV, hooked to your TV and are ambivalent about streaming TV:

This Simple.TV + your hard drive + Roku (need to hook Simple.TV to your TV)

$105 + 75 + $50 = $ 230. (If you already have some of it on the shelf that helps)

Magnavox DVR = $240.

TV tuner card for your existing PC $30 - 70.

Not completely apples to apples and each has their advantages/disadvantages but it is one way to look at it.

bhammark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bhammark
casey00001 wrote:Why pay a subscription fee for Over the Air TV? You could just get a Magnavox DVR from Walmart and set the timer. Three different drive sizes, 320gb,500gb, 1TB. Starts about $238.00 no fees

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-DVR-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-320GB/20710260?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=25222198285&category=0%3A3944%3A1060825%3A95987&client_guid=d859135a-2910-4609-8d5f-5b3237ec46fc&customer_id_enc=112b0c545a59cdc02a4d6cbfe89a5b5f&config_id=2&parent_item_id=20710258&guid=770f0563-21e7-42a4-a539-273a80846d56&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n

I mostly want to point out a "lie by omission" with DVD Recording DVR's sold at stores like WalMart. These may have hi-def tuners in them and display a hi-def picture on your TV, but when they record to DVD, they do so in standard def. Many people who aren't tech-savy mistakenly think these recorders record in hi-def.

hisj0y2you

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hisj0y2you
roseangelo wrote:Ok, I've never had a DVR in my life and although I am generally tech-savvy, when it comes to these things I am completely clueless.

I don't have cable, just an OTA antenna. I have no desire to watch TV on my iPad or iPhone. BUT, it would be nice to be able to pause TV and/or occasionally record things. This seems like a good deal for my needs - is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this?

facemagoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages facemagoo

Will this work with an Xbox 360 or Xbox One at all? Currently we are using an OTA Antenna connected to a PC and running Windows Media Center to get the TV signal to the Xbox. We have a Roku on a different TV which currently does not get the TV signal, so it would be nice to use something like this to get the signal to both the Xbox and Roku and eliminate the Windows Media Center entirely.

hisj0y2you

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hisj0y2you
hisj0y2you wrote:

I don't know how great this deal is, but I do know that a DVR will spoil you, and quickly. So convenient to have and watch things around YOUR schedule, and not be stuck around the tv schedule.

simpleatl

It works great with a Roku box and the Simple.TV app that's available on the Roku app store. Simple.TV will support gaming consoles around the end of the year.

facemagoo wrote:Will this work with an Xbox 360 or Xbox One at all? Currently we are using an OTA Antenna connected to a PC and running Windows Media Center to get the TV signal to the Xbox. We have a Roku on a different TV which currently does not get the TV signal, so it would be nice to use something like this to get the signal to both the Xbox and Roku and eliminate the Windows Media Center entirely.

opps

quality posts: 1 Private Messages opps
hisj0y2you wrote:I don't know how great this deal is, but I do know that a DVR will spoil you, and quickly. So convenient to have and watch things around YOUR schedule, and not be stuck around the tv schedule.

I think I read the exact same thing 35 years ago when the VCR came out.

bruss99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bruss99

I currently run PlayOn on my home computer to stream internet and stored content to my Xbox and my Sony BluRay player. Generally the software is able to find, pick up, and stream any content on the network and has, in the past, worked in any situation that a Roku player normally would. Is there any idea or indication that my PlayOn software would find and communicate with the Simple.Tv and allow me to stream stored content to my Xbox or Sony BluRay player? If so, that would basically clinch this for me.

simpleatl

Once you have a DVR, you can't live without it! This is a very good deal since it includes a Lifetime Subscription....so NO monthly fees. Live TV streaming to you mobile devices and anywhere and access to your recordings anytime, anywhere...pretty sweet!

hisj0y2you wrote:I don't know how great this deal is, but I do know that a DVR will spoil you, and quickly. So convenient to have and watch things around YOUR schedule, and not be stuck around the tv schedule.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
radi0j0hn wrote:Waaaaaay to logical for Wooters! But a good point: How long do you intend to keep the recording? If it is watch and erase, then a VCR is fine.

Try to find a decent brand used one...and expect that the clods who donated did not tape a remote on it.

My local thrift store sells 20 (old, used) VHS movies for $5!

I guess this would be a good alternate for the blind. No one could ever enjoy any program recorded in such poor resolution after experiencing HD. It's like saying "Look at this beautiful faxed photo I recieved".

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

dottie84

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dottie84

You need a Roku to watch it on your TV. You can't just plug it in. So, that's another $50 investment.

Ringo4422

dottie84 wrote:You need a Roku to watch it on your TV. You can't just plug it in. So, that's another $50 investment.

Plus a hard drive.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

jadenwen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadenwen

Order Date:Aug 25, 2013Order Number:45811712Order Status:Shipped
$167.78

Simple.TV A New Kind of DVRSold on Tech.WootQuantity:1 @ $149.99 $299.00 50% off list price

One More Field Goal, My deals is not good. I'm so sad.

shortwave8669

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shortwave8669
grimmwerks wrote:I'm curious; I've actually been given two tivo dvrs; I'm using comcast right now - which is a huge bill. If I flipped to Tivo do I save money, am able to see things like HBO, sprout, cartoon network etc?

I am a Comcast customer with Tivo. I have two of the Series 3 HD Tivo boxes. Each has 2 cableCARD slots (1 for each Tivo tuner). This model of Tivo can record 2 channels simultaneously while I am watching a recorded show.

Comcast will provide a MultiCast CableCARD (the 1st one is free, 2nd one has a monthly fee). And that multicast cableCARD acts as 2 cable cards.

Once the cableCARDS are installed and activated you will be able to receive all the channels that your Comcast subscription entitles you to view...if you pay for HBO, Showtime, etc Tivo will be able to DVR it.

Tivo will not be able to access the OnDemand content like the Comcast cable box or Comcast DVR can access.

I am very happy using Tivo on Comcast.

dawnview

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dawnview

I purchased one in an earlier woot, it never worked beyond letting me name it. The technical support was completely useless and very slow to respond with suggestions like "don't use firefox" (I wasn't) and "power cycle the unit" ( gee, I never would have thought of that!). Do not expect any quality service after the sale! You have been warned, Pat here is very responsive, but offering to hit someone doesn't get me back as a customer, and should raise questions in your mind as a potential buyer.

They are offloading these things all over the web, why is that?

newly wooted

mmarcoux66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmarcoux66
jadenwen wrote:Order Date:Aug 25, 2013Order Number:45811712Order Status:Shipped
$167.78

Simple.TV A New Kind of DVRSold on Tech.WootQuantity:1 @ $149.99 $299.00 50% off list price

One More Field Goal, My deals is not good. I'm so sad.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same way out the additional $50... but I will say that I like the device a lot. I have a Roku on each TV and getting ready to cut the DirecTV ties.

Are there any advantages to having a 2nd one (besides being able to record 2 shows at the same time) or should I wait for the new device?

Ringo4422

shortwave8669 wrote:I am a Comcast customer with Tivo. I have two of the Series 3 HD Tivo boxes. Each has 2 cableCARD slots (1 for each Tivo tuner). This model of Tivo can record 2 channels simultaneously while I am watching a recorded show.

Comcast will provide a MultiCast CableCARD (the 1st one is free, 2nd one has a monthly fee). And that multicast cableCARD acts as 2 cable cards.

Once the cableCARDS are installed and activated you will be able to receive all the channels that your Comcast subscription entitles you to view...if you pay for HBO, Showtime, etc Tivo will be able to DVR it.

Tivo will not be able to access the OnDemand content like the Comcast cable box or Comcast DVR can access.

I am very happy using Tivo on Comcast.

I just went for one of these. Looks like a great deal for me and MY family. I have cable with high speed internet and currently pay $82 a month including taxes. I don't do "set top boxes" and get all network broadcast channels in HD. I don't want to pay $200+ per month to be able to watch PPV and to record programs. This will be just right for what we need.

mikev2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikev2000

I have a simpletv. It actually works best in an over the air situation. Just remember you need your own external hard drive and a roku box to watch on tv. I happened to have both handy. Or a computer with hdmi connection to tv. It's not perfect, but at this price it's a great deal. I paid $50 more than this and feel that it's worth it.

hearmenow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hearmenow

If you want a simple OTA dvr, and you do not have high speed internet then I wouldn't get this.
Also, no video out?
What is the point? Just to network?
You can do that with media player.

HD Homerun dual tuner/media player, or homeworx pvr much better choice IMO.

Homerun has no guide without internet. Needs to be fixed grrrr.

Homeworx get's guide on it's own. Oh btw, it also does 1080p and has HDMI, component, and s-video out.

darkglow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkglow

You know how you still have to adjust the rabbit ears on some channels, otherwise you'll get the "cracked" digital content?! Does this device work like a vcr and still record lousy contents when you're not around to adjust the antenna?

aron1231

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aron1231

From the comments people have been glossing over the "Clear QAM" capabilities (or lack thereof), but potential customers beware - Clear QAM is dead and this device is useless for that purpose. It supports Clear QAM, but nearly all cable companies have stopped (or will stop in the future) providing basic cable channels un-encrypted due to legislation changes.

You've been warned!

mmarcoux66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmarcoux66
darkglow wrote:You know how you still have to adjust the rabbit ears on some channels, otherwise you'll get the "cracked" digital content?! Does this device work like a vcr and still record lousy contents when you're not around to adjust the antenna?

Had that problem and solved it with a Mohu. Might be worth looking at.

opps

quality posts: 1 Private Messages opps

dottie84 wrote:You need a Roku to watch it on your TV. You can't just plug it in. So, that's another $50 investment.

Ringo4422 wrote:Plus a hard drive.

So many unanswered questions, something tells me that my many hard drives will not work since they are the standard size, I bet this takes a laptop size (2.5") hard drive but I cannot find the info to know for sure.

dawnview

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dawnview
darkglow wrote:You know how you still have to adjust the rabbit ears on some channels, otherwise you'll get the "cracked" digital content?! Does this device work like a vcr and still record lousy contents when you're not around to adjust the antenna?

From what i understand (anyone whose simple.tv actually worked please correct me if I am wrong) it records until you lose signal then stops so you have all of the show until the signal loss and nothing else.

newly wooted