j647

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j647
XTCfan wrote:Seriously?!? Woot, is this true?

Got one of these last time, about a month ago. It has a remote.

broker0104

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broker0104

Does anyone know if you can use an Amazon gift card as a payment option if you sign in using your amazon id at checkout?

gavspen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gavspen
mboss wrote:You can access local broadcast TV directly with an HD antenna. Pair that with a DVR and you are set for the big 4 networks. If you get Hulu + and Netflix that will only run you ~ $20/month.

Ah yes. Over the air didnt occur to me since I'm in Manhattan, and unless antennas have improved dramatically since I last had one, you just cant get reception here. Anyone have experience?

gz2000sonic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gz2000sonic

How does this version compare to the current roku 2 model? Or even roku 1 for that matter.

-GxZ

j647

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j647
paakraat wrote:Someone alluded to this in an earlier comment, but I'm wondering if you can get netflix's closed captioning with the Roku 2.

yes. I use it for Lilyhammer because I don't understand Norwegian,

HYKOS1045

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HYKOS1045
aafa83 wrote:I'm new to all this streaming media player thing so this may be a stupid question. From researching about the Roku, I read that it doesn't support Youtube. Is there a way to get around that? Also, if I want to stream videos from a site that's not listed on the menu (say, a foreign movie site)can I do that?
Thanks for your help.

benjimorales1 wrote:No youtube? Is there any way to get around that?

I have a roku2 and it does support a private channel app that allows you to stream youtube content from your google plus account. I am not sure if searching youtube feature works, but I use it to stream my "playlists." As others have mentioned, I think it is called "plex." While not necessarily visible as one of Roku's preferred channels, you can link it to your roku account by googling "roku private channels plex" and adding it to your apps list via the computer.

Speaking of SEARCH, I am surprised nobody has complained yet about Roku's lack of a QWERTY interface. Every time I utilize their search screens, and have to hunt the alphabet for the necessary letters to type a word or sentence, I feel like a four year old who's relearning how to type!

More complaints about Roku's interface, in general, include:
1- The FOXNOW app is not available to anyone unless you already subscribe to cable, therefore it is not a "cordcutter" tool. Furthermore, comcast does not support FOXNOW!

2- The NBC news app is foolishly sluggish. You can only watch snippets of programming, and nothing is live. If you're switching to roku, be prepared to have to search for what's on every 30 seconds instead of "channel flipping"

The only thing I like roku for so far is streaming netflix and hulu without wasting PC resources.

daledevon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daledevon

I am done with woot. I bought the roku 3 on Dec 11, did not ship till Dec 18 (get it out the door once someone bought it dummies). They shipped it via the post office. They say electronic shipping info received. On Dec. 18, no clue after that. I have Prime from Amazon (I thoght they owned woot. Woot sucks. go somewhere else for your stuff.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

daledevon wrote:I am done with woot. I bought the roku 3 on Dec 11, did not ship till Dec 18 (get it out the door once someone bought it dummies). They shipped it via the post office. They say electronic shipping info received. On Dec. 18, no clue after that. I have Prime from Amazon (I thoght they owned woot. Woot sucks. go somewhere else for your stuff.

I looked at the tracking and it looks stuck in CO. Nice area but nowhere near you. I'm contact CS to see what's up with your roaming Roku. Sorry for the issues.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
admrgd wrote:Junk. No DLNA support, no NAS support.

For those of us not living on Planet Techno, can you tell us what those terms are and why they reduce this successful product to junk on your planet? Please use complete sentences for us Earthlings. Thanks.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

aafa83 wrote:I'm new to all this streaming media player thing so this may be a stupid question. From researching about the Roku, I read that it doesn't support Youtube. Is there a way to get around that? Also, if I want to stream videos from a site that's not listed on the menu (say, a foreign movie site)can I do that?
Thanks for your help.

I think you need a laptop or tablet that you can connect to a modern TV. This is really not an Internet surfing device and a lot of stuff you may want to watch may only be available that way.

Although there IS a lot of foreign stuff on Netflix.

mcdon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdon

Can you use to stream live sports channels? Anything live?

I dont want to miss big events that are live.

radi0j0hn

ThunderThighs wrote:I looked at the tracking and it looks stuck in CO. Nice area but nowhere near you. I'm contact CS to see what's up with your roaming Roku. Sorry for the issues.

"Stuck in CO" Wasn't that a song that John Denver sang around 1972?

wagggg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wagggg
rshigenaka wrote:Take it from another Boxee Box owner: move to Roku as quickly as you can. You will not regret it. Consulted the gadget gurus that I trust, and was advised to acquire a Roku (2 or 3). The Boxee has been bronzed and has taken a place on the shelf of odd-looking boat anchors. Bought the Roku 3 a couple of weeks ago, and have been mesmerized by the performance and available content.

wagggg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wagggg

How does it work. What do I plug into my tv? How does it connect to my computer?

MrbLOB9000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrbLOB9000
Tufflaw wrote:Oh and I should add that I have an AppleTV 2 that I can jailbreak and run XBMC, not sure if worth the trouble if I can get this for cheap. Any thoughts from anyone who's used both?

You can not play files directly but you can run plex server on your computer and plex client on roku to play any file (it transcodes it to something the roku can play). Works quite well.

wendigoky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wendigoky

You can use youtube on the roku through the plex channel.

Also, if you are a Time Warner subscriber, there is a Time Warner channel on roku. You can't get local channels, but you can get all the rest of the channels in HD as well as on-demand and HBO. Also, if you subscribe to HBO the HBO Go channel is there.

One of the best things about the Roku for me is that I am constantly travelling. Well, take your roku with you and enjoy!

buddha709

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buddha709
radi0j0hn wrote:I think you need a laptop or tablet that you can connect to a modern TV. This is really not an Internet surfing device and a lot of stuff you may want to watch may only be available that way.

Although there IS a lot of foreign stuff on Netflix.

it just got youtube....

jimmah120

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimmah120
NoThru22 wrote:Warning: Woot knows that it doesn't come with that remote and they have no interest in providing that remote, but they still show the picture with that remote! Shame!

if this is true, that's extremely dumb

jimmah120

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimmah120
gavspen wrote:Ah yes. Over the air didnt occur to me since I'm in Manhattan, and unless antennas have improved dramatically since I last had one, you just cant get reception here. Anyone have experience?

theres a channel for NY OTA TV

wxaxgxs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wxaxgxs

How does the Roku 2 compare to a Chromecast?

natemcg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages natemcg

Since I see a lot of people suggesting plex and saying it's free I want to give people a heads up: As of 12/20/13 the roku plex app is no longer free to new users, only people who already have it installed or plex pass users. I believe it's now 30 day trial then $4.99 for the plex channel on roku. That being said there is a better alternative: rarflix is a free roku channel and it is literally a better version of the plex channel.

renaldow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renaldow
admrgd wrote:Junk. No DLNA support, no NAS support.

LOL... Of course it doesn't support DLNA or NAS. That's not what it's for. You're an Krampus.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
renaldow wrote:LOL... Of course it doesn't support DLNA or NAS. That's not what it's for. You're an Krampus.

It does support DLNA, which I posted this morning, although apparently no one read it.

The Roku app for playing stuff off a USB drive has been updated to the Roku Media Player. I discovered this a couple of days ago. It has no problem seeing the DLNA server on my Windows Home Server 2011 and the one in Windows 8 on another computer (and the one the Plex server provides).

Roku does support DLNA. It does. Try it.

kinkbicycles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kinkbicycles
gz2000sonic wrote:How does this version compare to the current roku 2 model? Or even roku 1 for that matter.

-GxZ

I am wondering this too as the Roku 1 seems to be on sale for a bit more, but new.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

This has nothing to do with the Roku but I don't know where else to go. I've sent six messages to support about one order with no response and now have a problem with a new order. I've sent a message but have zero faith that anyone will get back to me. Can zap CS with a cattle prod to motivate them?

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
wagggg wrote:How does it work. What do I plug into my tv? How does it connect to my computer?

It connects through your home wireless router. Connect a HDMI cable to it, connect the other end of the HDMI cable to your TV, plug in the power supply to the Roku and your off.
Follow the prompts on the TV screen for the Roku setup.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
mcdon wrote:Can you use to stream live sports channels? Anything live?

I dont want to miss big events that are live.

The Roku box doesn't do that. Nothing live at this time unless you subscribe to some cable and satellite companies.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

broker0104

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broker0104

Does Woot accept amazon gift cards as a payment option if you sign in using your amazon account?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

prttymf8 wrote:This has nothing to do with the Roku but I don't know where else to go. I've sent six messages to support about one order with no response and now have a problem with a new order. I've sent a message but have zero faith that anyone will get back to me. Can zap CS with a cattle prod to motivate them?

Please check your email inbox associated with your Woot account, a response has been sent to you by Woot Member Services.

We also recommend that you check the spam folder of your email provider, as sometimes their responses get filtered there.

Thank you for your ongoing patience while they attended to the issue.

ROGETRAY

Staff

broker0104 wrote:Does Woot accept amazon gift cards as a payment option if you sign in using your amazon account?

No, we currently don't have any options through Amazon Payments for Amazon Gift Cards.

Please check out this thread for further information: Login and Pay With Amazon

kcrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcrow
Tufflaw wrote:Currently using a Boxee Box, looking to add a streaming device to another TV in the home. All I want to know is this - I don't care about netflix, amazon prime, hulu, apps, etc.

All I want to do with this is stream stuff already in folders on my PC. I want it to scrape set directories at certain intervals and show me what's new.

Does this do that?

Yes, if you run a plex server from your computer and get the plex channel on your roku. Works great for me. plexapp.com

ROGETRAY

Staff

TheCK wrote:What a crock. I ordered stuff from this company on 12/2/13 and have been waiting to receive it for almost 3 weeks. Woot refuses to contact me and refuses to address the issue and tell me where the item is and why I've not received it. I made a 2nd order a week later that I still do not have and yesterday after waiting over 2 weeks they claim they had to cancel one item (not to mention they don't tell you in the e-mail which item and refuse to respond to that too) - they claim they refunded the money which they didn't - furthermore what kind of company cancels an order after 2 weeks with no time for someone to replace it. Watch them delete my post again so they can censor their crappy service and lack of respect for any customer service at all.

We're very sorry that your posts got deleted and that you've been experiencing issues with communicating with Woot Member Services.

We do ask that you check the email inbox of you email provider as it appears that Woot Member Services has sent you a reply to your most recent email inquiry.

We greatly appreciate you continued patience while they attend to the issue.

jet314

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jet314

Am I missing something on Roku? I just linked up mine which was bought a week or so ago, Angry Birds issue w/2 remotes XS 2 model. Everything I've seen so far is for purchase. And it's NOT cheap. Movies to Go, TV episodes are like 1.99(for like Two and a Half Men). I've already got DIRECTV and I see nothing here that's free. Am I not seeing something? Do some of these channels cost something AFTER the first 30 or 90 days. Nothing on the Roku homepage said so...not too happy at the moment here. Unit works fine however.

radi0j0hn

buddha709 wrote:it just got youtube....

You are not serious, are you?
PCs and tablets have all these things called "applications" or "programs" that make them do all kinds of stuff.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
ROGETRAY wrote:Please check your email inbox associated with your Woot account, a response has been sent to you by Woot Member Services.

We also recommend that you check the spam folder of your email provider, as sometimes their responses get filtered there.

Thank you for your ongoing patience while they attended to the issue.

Thanks, I got my reply.

Tufflaw

quality posts: 24 Private Messages Tufflaw
natemcg wrote:Since I see a lot of people suggesting plex and saying it's free I want to give people a heads up: As of 12/20/13 the roku plex app is no longer free to new users, only people who already have it installed or plex pass users. I believe it's now 30 day trial then $4.99 for the plex channel on roku. That being said there is a better alternative: rarflix is a free roku channel and it is literally a better version of the plex channel.

Hum... Well that sucks. Will look into rarflix, thanks!

craigthom

jet314 wrote:Am I missing something on Roku? I just linked up mine which was bought a week or so ago, Angry Birds issue w/2 remotes XS 2 model. Everything I've seen so far is for purchase. And it's NOT cheap. Movies to Go, TV episodes are like 1.99(for like Two and a Half Men). I've already got DIRECTV and I see nothing here that's free. Am I not seeing something? Do some of these channels cost something AFTER the first 30 or 90 days. Nothing on the Roku homepage said so...not too happy at the moment here. Unit works fine however.

There's a lot of free content, although most of it isn't as good as the pay stuff.

I think most people buy these to watch Netflix and Hulu.

I turned off the Movies and TV Shows from the "Home screen" options, which I think is where you are seeing the for-rent/purchase things. I don't use those at all.

Subscription channels that are popular are Netflix and Hulu Plus, which require monthly subscriptions (so I don't have them) and Amazon Prime, which I do. I mostly have it for the free fast shipping, but I also get a lot of free movies with it. The selection is similar to that of Netflix but a bit smaller.

Others, like Watch ESPN, require that you have a participating ISP.

I use these completely free channels:

Pandora
Crackle
Kino Lorber
PBS
Drive-In Classics
Smithsonian

Check the channel store and you'll find lots of free channels, although most of them show stuff in the public domain or niche content.

I also use the Vudu channel to watch the Ultraviolet movies I get with the purchase of Blu-rays. I also got twenty free Ultraviolet movies for signing up for Vudu and Target Ticket (ten each for signing up). I didn't pay anything for those.

jet314

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jet314
craigthom wrote:There's a lot of free content, although most of it isn't as good as the pay stuff.

I think most people buy these to watch Netflix and Hulu.

I turned off the Movies and TV Shows from the "Home screen" options, which I think is where you are seeing the for-rent/purchase things. I don't use those at all.

Subscription channels that are popular are Netflix and Hulu Plus, which require monthly subscriptions (so I don't have them) and Amazon Prime, which I do. I mostly have it for the free fast shipping, but I also get a lot of free movies with it. The selection is similar to that of Netflix but a bit smaller.

Others, like Watch ESPN, require that you have a participating ISP.

I use these completely free channels:

Pandora
Crackle
Kino Lorber
PBS
Drive-In Classics
Smithsonian

Check the channel store and you'll find lots of free channels, although most of them show stuff in the public domain or niche content.

I also use the Vudu channel to watch the Ultraviolet movies I get with the purchase of Blu-rays. I also got twenty free Ultraviolet movies for signing up for Vudu and Target Ticket (ten each for signing up). I didn't pay anything for those.

Craig: Thank you VERY much for your reply. This was of enormous help to me. I feel better now about this for sure. I have Amazon Prime, so I'll use it for sure. And I added those stations you listed. All appeared to be free. That should hold me for a while as I do more learning. Woot needs to give you a STAR for this helpful response !! Thanks again...Jim

craigthom

jet314 wrote:Craig: Thank you VERY much for your reply. This was of enormous help to me. I feel better now about this for sure. I have Amazon Prime, so I'll use it for sure. And I added those stations you listed. All appeared to be free. That should hold me for a while as I do more learning. Woot needs to give you a STAR for this helpful response !! Thanks again...Jim

They just did!

You can add things to your Amazon.com watch list from the Web site on your computer and then pull up your watch list on the Roku. That's quicker than searching or browsing on the Roku for me.

NoThru22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NoThru22

And now Woot has it on Moofi, so that is now three times of them showing it with that remote when it comes with a much simpler, different remote and they have no interest in correcting their mistake.