sdirge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sdirge

I have the 5310 (Round) I like it a lot!

Only gripe I have is there are a lot of buttons on the top and I frequently hit the wrong ones.

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt

I have a bad habit of going to sleep late and only getting about 4 or 5 hours a night. With this thing going off a half hour before the alarm, that would potentially cut sleep time to 3.5-4.5 hours. Has anyone had the problem of waking up too soon?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

daobrien21 wrote:Bummer
I went to purchase the tall light, the HF3470, and Woot wanted to charge me $7.31 in tax! I've shopped from Woot a lot, as recent as December for some Christmas gifts and never got charged tax. Furthermore, the light is only $69.99, so $7.31 is over 10% in tax! Higher than any tax in the nation, so I canceled the order, what's the deal?

Woot is now required to collect sales tax for orders shipped to AZ, CA, CT, GA, IN, KS, KY, MA, NJ, NV, NY, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, and WV.

Also, if the item that you order is subject to sales tax in the state where it’s shipped to, tax is generally calculated on the total selling price of the item. Based on state tax laws, the total selling price of an item will generally include, among other things, shipping charges. The amount of tax charged on your order will depend on many factors including identity of the seller, type of item purchased and destination of the order.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
honeybadger12 wrote:A few things I want to add in addition to my post above:

- The chirping birds and the bells sounds are repetitive. This has caused me to use the regular alarm sound. This is not a deal-breaker to me.

- When I initially bought this on amazon last spring, I was deciding between the halogen version and the LED version. After reading several reviews for both, I decided to go for the halogen version because: 1) I read that the light from the LED version is directional and if it's not pointed toward your face, it's not as effective, and 2) if the LED goes out, you're screwed, whereas if the halogen bulb goes out, real simple to replace.

1) False. Unlike bare LEDs, the clock uses a diffuser, spreading the light evenly 180 degrees. There are no bright or dark spots.

2) No, it does not have to shine in your face, although that may wake you sooner since the light disturbs your eyes. It's no different than the halogen version, or the sun. Having the light in your eyes will wake you. BUT ... the whole theory behind these clock is that light preps your body hormonally to be waken. As such, light shining on any exposed skin works. In fact, a study on jet lag showed that shining a light on the back of the knee had the best results.

3) LEDs have a lifespan of at least 20,000 hrs. If anything goes wrong, it would be some other component, not the LED. Halogens burn hotter, need replacing and use more electricity. And in this case, also less bright than the LED model.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

No.

Just set an alarm. Turn on the light when it wakes you up.

You don't need this fancy crap. Just get up and stop whining!

fantismalspider

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fantismalspider
wisenekt wrote:I have a bad habit of going to sleep late and only getting about 4 or 5 hours a night. With this thing going off a half hour before the alarm, that would potentially cut sleep time to 3.5-4.5 hours. Has anyone had the problem of waking up too soon?

What I've found is that the gentle wake-up of this alarm trumps the amount of sleep. Seriously. When I pull late nights, if it's the first late night after a string of plenty of sleep, I don't even realize it with this clock. If it's a string of late nights, I start feeling slightly groggy around late night three, but never braindead. Tired, but still fully functional.

At first, I hated the idea of losing an extra half hour of sleep, but because I'm never jolted out of REM sleep with this clock, I've never been as tired as I used to be.

sdc100

pakopako wrote:$20 more expensive than halogen? (Although... depending on the connector, it might be possible to refit the Halogen with a smaller LED bulb.)

If you're talking about a smoothly dimmable LED array that is equal to a 75 watt incandescent bulb, yes. Single CREEs will cost even more but I don't know how many LEDs are inside this clock. Keep in mind that the LED model is also brighter than the halogen one. I doubt if you can replace the halogen with LEDs because one of th most remarkable things about this clock is homogeneity of the light. It glows uniformly 180 degrees without any bright or dark spots. Simply putting in LEDs will result in very directional lighting.

aplio

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aplio
sdc100 wrote:Worth $5? I challenge you to find me a 300 lumen LED bulb (in my case, equivalent to a 75 watt incandescent bulb) for $5. Heck, I challenge you to find me such a bulb for $15. Dude, LED technology is still expensive which is why most homes have not converted to them yet.

And as a neuro researcher, I can tell you that at least some of Phillips' claims are based on sound science. What $5 device slowly wakes you up like this device?

I was looking at this to be an always-on light. Guess I'll have to pass. Philips spec says it's 300 lux, which (after looking up lux vs lumens online, it's rather confusing), I'm concluding this is at most 300 lumens. A 60W incandescent bulb puts out about 800 lumens, so the Philips isn't terribly bright.

I guess I'll just go buy a flourescent fixture and 40W 4 ft. flourescent tubes. LEDs have a long long way to go before they can match flourescents

sdc100

daveinwarshington wrote:No.

Just set an alarm. Turn on the light when it wakes you up.

You don't need this fancy crap. Just get up and stop whining!

This is similar to those who claim that you can simply attach a $5 lamp to a $5 timer and get the same results. Wrong. This clock works by slowly ramping up the light (and sound) for 30 mins -- simulating sunrise. Studies have shown that light on the skin stimulates the production of hormones and this supposedly works by having the body filled with daytime hormones BY the time you physically get up. That means less grogginess. A normal alarm would jar you awake, forcing you up before these hormones flood you body. I can't tell you if these clocks indeed work as claimed but I can tell you that light on ANY exposed skin has been proven to stimulate hormone production. That's why sleep experts say to sleep in a completely darkened room.

lottery000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lottery000

Hey Michelle, thanks for this awesome post. I was super excited about pruchasing this clock from Hammacher and Schlemme. Sadly, after looking at their website, they don't seem to offer the product anymore.

"Item 81819 Price $79.95 We regret that this item is no longer available."

mglennx wrote:I bought an early model of this type of clock from Hammacher Schlemmer years ago. Mine was ~$100, but they have a similar model on their website now (the "The Peaceful Progression Wake Up Clock") for $79.95, that has six nature sounds (including ocean surf, thunderstorm, white noise, spring rain, mountain stream, and forest stream), an aromatherapy infuser, an optional vibration speaker (for $19.95), battery back-up, and 30, 60 and 90 minute timers that allow you to fall asleep to the sounds as they grow gradually softer and then shut off. Using the aromatherapy basin is optional, of course, but coffee scented oils or beads are as effective for me as the alarm, and the aroma intensifies as the bulb brightens. Grapefruit is another pleasantly stimulating aroma. Bacon would be nice, too (but that would be cruel). You can use the scents that come with it or buy your own. The unit is also smaller (7 1/2" H x 5 1/3" W x 6" D) than the ones offered on Woot today. The reviews on their site are overwhelmingly positive (4.3/5), but there are some very specific complaints. Mine is a previous version, bulkier and not as pretty, but I love it and have never regretted the purchase. Taking into account that you are likely to use your alarm clock 5 days a week, around 50 weeks of the year, the cost-per-use is relatively small. And when you consider the benefits of starting your day with a gentle wake up from a gradually increasing light and the aroma of fresh-brewed coffee or the bright citrus tang of grapefruit, as opposed to being introduced to yet another work day by AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" at full volume, you will no doubt consider it money very well spent.

Bobby James

sdc100

aplio wrote:I was looking at this to be an always-on light. Guess I'll have to pass. Philips spec says it's 300 lux, which (after looking up lux vs lumens online, it's rather confusing), I'm concluding this is at most 300 lumens. A 60W incandescent bulb puts out about 800 lumens, so the Philips isn't terribly bright.

I guess I'll just go buy a flourescent fixture and 40W 4 ft. flourescent tubes. LEDs have a long long way to go before they can match flourescents

We leave it on as a nightlight almost constantly until bedtime. At the brightest level, the light is so bright that we often don't use the ceiling light anymore. As for fluorescents, they lack the spectral purity of LEDs. And they don't dim well. Even dimmable ones are very finicky. Have you ever seen a fluorecent night light? Worse, fluorescents strobe at 60hz, leading to eye and brain fatigue. I believe a Swedish study discourages their use in areas of mental activity, i.e. libraries, labs, classrooms, etc.

ishnite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ishnite

I had the tall one on my amazon wish list for so long (couldn't really afford it at the time and didn't want to waste money on one that was just "okay" I did a lot of research) and received one for Christmas! It is really fantastic. It is usually really hard for me to wake up in the morning and waking up to an alarm is even worse so this concept sounded so good and it ended up meeting my expectations. I live in an apartment that has lights outside my window all night so I need to put curtains up to black it out = no sunlight in the morning.

Without repeating the specs, one worry I had is if I was facing away from it while sleeping, would it still wake me up. And it does - usually with the bird chirping noise as the backup.
The bonus points - you can use the light as a reading light, the brightness of the light can be changed, the volume of the alarm can be changed, it's easy to hit snooze and change alarm time, the time read out is a dark orange which isn't bright - I'm sensitive to lights in my room and this doesn't bother me at all but I can still read it if I want to know the time.

Overall, if you have a tough time getting up in the morning like I do, I highly recommend this.

sdc100

rgbfoundry wrote:I don't think it does. I just looked on the bottom of my HF3470 (the tall one). It says 60/A 120V~60Hz 50W 0.52A

As a comparison, the shorter LED model only uses 12 Watts, less than 1/4 of the halogen model. And it's brighter than the halogen version.

vanillalatte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vanillalatte
manfrin wrote: I have yet to use it without my phone alarm, mainly because I am a bit paranoid about sleeping through it, but I have no doubt it could work. When I have used it, and when it has woken me up before my alarm, the wake up was much nicer than an abrupt alarm -- your body reacts to the light by naturally waking up.

I know exactly what you mean about using the phone as a backup. I bought the tower-style model about two years ago now, and I had a lot of trouble letting go of the phone alarm, mostly because it ticked me off that the wake up time wasn't very precise... I could wake up at any point in the 30 minutes. After some time, though, I was able to really fine tune my light setting at 17/20 and I'm waking up at my alarm time on-the-dot just as the chime music starts. I haven't set my phone alarm in quite some time. Your body gets used to waking up this way and if you're able to figure out your ideal light intensity, you'll be waking up very reliably every morning!

ishnite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ishnite
wisenekt wrote:I have a bad habit of going to sleep late and only getting about 4 or 5 hours a night. With this thing going off a half hour before the alarm, that would potentially cut sleep time to 3.5-4.5 hours. Has anyone had the problem of waking up too soon?

I've never had a problem with waking up too soon. And I'm usually a light sleeper. You can set the brightness of the light and sound so it the gradual turning on is slower. I usually wake up after it's been on already and the bird chirping is going off (that's the sound I have set). But waking up this way feels SO much better than setting a regular alarm. I hate being jolted awake. And honestly, the nights I get 5ish hours of sleep end up being better for me for some reason when I wake up to this.

sdc100

mahalaasoonour wrote:Guys, I am traveling abroad for a few months, do these models have dual voltage? I mean does it say on the power specification that it is 110/220 volt and 50/60 Hz.

Please if anyone could look this up and let me know that would be nice.

The LED model uses an external 24V power supply -- the same as many laptops. You can easily find 220V AC-to-24V DC adapters on eBay. A good choice is this $12.99 universal adapter which runs off 110 and 120V, and can output 24V (among others). It also comes with many tip sizes. I'm sure you can find similar ones on Amazon.

vanillalatte

I had this problem at first when I bought mine a couple years ago. The trick is to figure out your ideal light intensity to wake up so that you're ready to open your eyes as the alarm/chime/birds start chirping. The value of the light gradually intensifying is happening in your brain--it registers the increasing light and triggers your sleep cycle to start closing down. If the sound is what ultimately wakes you, that's okay.

I figured out my ideal brightness through trial and error and got my wake up time down to the minute precisely. It didn't take long, and I totally agree with the other responder that having the gradual wake up and how much better you'll feel just from that trumps the extra 20 minutes of sleep! You'll feel more rested when you wake up.

Good luck!

vanillalatte

badhabit12 wrote:I sleep and wake up much better now that I didn't buy this product. And by taking the $100.00 or so dollars I saved and keeping it under my pillow I sleep like a baby. My blood pressure has even dropped as I chuckle myself into a deep restful sleep each night thinking of those folks lining up to fork over almost $100.00 for a product that's worth about $5.00.

Maybe waking up in a nicer way every morning will help you be a little less grumpy.

I bought the tower-style one two years ago, and my better mood, higher level of alertness, and greater ability to get up early in the morning for work when it's still dark out tells me that it was the best $100 I've ever spent!

To each, his or her own.

skylarorb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skylarorb

I'm super interested in getting one of these since I hit the snooze button on my alarm about 5 times before groggily and begrudgingly roll out of bed...

My only dilemma is which model to get! Any recommendations of one over the other?

genesisbreed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages genesisbreed

It hasn't been a week since my wife mentioned that she wanted to look into getting one of these. Then this pops up on woot today… *looks suspiciously at woot*

Incansus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Incansus
lottery000 wrote:Hey Michelle, thanks for this awesome post. I was super excited about pruchasing this clock from Hammacher and Schlemme. Sadly, after looking at their website, they don't seem to offer the product anymore.

"Item 81819 Price $79.95 We regret that this item is no longer available."

For Lottery000:

Order #: W7399005

Date: 1/10/2014

Billing information:

Order total:

Subtotal: $ 79.95
Shipping & Services: $ 16.95
Applicable Taxes: $ 0.00
Total: $ 96.90
Total Due: $ 96.90

Item(s) Ordered:

Item : 81819
Name : The Peaceful Progression Wake Up Clock.
Price : $79.95
Quantity : 1
Item Subtotal : $79.95
Gift Wrap : No

hollyjanzen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hollyjanzen
daobrien21 wrote:Bummer
I went to purchase the tall light, the HF3470, and Woot wanted to charge me $7.31 in tax! I've shopped from Woot a lot, as recent as December for some Christmas gifts and never got charged tax. Furthermore, the light is only $69.99, so $7.31 is over 10% in tax! Higher than any tax in the nation, so I canceled the order, what's the deal?

A lot of states are implementing state taxed on internet sales this year. I know, a couple of orders ago I got sales tax, and I'm like, all "what?!" - Oh yeah, that tax dealie. So a lot of places that we haven't had to pay taxes on (state) we'll now have to for over the (sniff, sniff) money. poop.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

Walgreens among others sell a similar gizmo.

Zadro Natural Wake-Up Alarm Clock with Morning Light
$49.99

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

pwagz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pwagz
honeybadger12 wrote:if the LED goes out, you're screwed, whereas if the halogen bulb goes out, real simple to replace.

So the LED bulb is not replaceable? I would think in this day and age that would be a reality? Can you point me to the review that makes this claim? Thanks!

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

How would I explain this to my spouse?

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

Cirrius

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Cirrius

I got one of these last year for Christmas.

It's the greatest alarm clock I have ever owned.

I'm a NOTORIOUS snooze button slapper, but with the gradual light on I rarely even Snooze it once. I regret I spent most of my life without one of these, it works that well.

waterfallme24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waterfallme24

I have had the tall one for several years. Makes waking up so much more pleasant, and I don't feel as tired. The light starts really low, and only brightens to the level you set the night prior. Can be very dim or quite bright, depending on your need. Also works well as a general bedroom lamp.

fightingpillow

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fightingpillow

Why do these cost so much? Surely there is another company that can put a light and a clock together more cheaply.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

Here's my question, for those who've been using one: what if your spouse (or other chosen bedmate) has a wake-up time that's later than yours? Assuming the lamp is on your side of the bed, does the increasing light in the room awaken your partner as well?

samira

quality posts: 14 Private Messages samira
mglennx wrote:And when you consider the benefits of starting your day with a gentle wake up from a gradually increasing light and the aroma of fresh-brewed coffee or the bright citrus tang of grapefruit, as opposed to being introduced to yet another work day by AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" at full volume, you will no doubt consider it money very well spent.

Am seriously considering.
A few days ago I was awakened from deep sleep with this Led Zeppelin song.

Trying to decide which one. I like ocean sounds, not birds. And I like sleep function as well. It does not look like these have radio sleep functions right?
Phillips has another model that does a colorful sunset/sunrise and has a few other features. That one is $115 at Costco website right now, and they also have a round onesimilar to the one for sale here for 69.99 incl. shipping. Looks like maybe an older model? I like the option of being able to return it if it does not turn out to be so great.

Has anyone used the color changing one? is it cheesy?

Here are the ones on Philips website: http://www.usa.philips.com/c/wake-up-light/26471/cat/#filterState0=WAKEUP_LIGHT_SU_US_CONSUMER%3Dtrue;compareState0=id0%3D%2Cid1%3D%2Cid2%3D%2CcompareView%3Dfalse;productState0=page%3D1%2Csort%3Dsubcat_asc_group
it looks like the one here 3510 is a step up from the 3505 (the one at Costco).
I cannot find the taller halogen one on philips' site.

countertenor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages countertenor
JTMc wrote:I don't think they omit any light. They give all the light they can. None is left out.

tee hee hee!

danpilot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danpilot

Do either of these units allow the use of ONLY the progressive lighting without using the alarm sounds?

rebontheweb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rebontheweb

I've had a model similar to the tall one for a few years now, and it has totally changed the way I feel about getting up early. Now, if Hubby has to catch an early flight and says, "Set the alarm to 4am," no problem! I know it will be easy and comfortable to wake up. Both of us almost always wake up to the light alone, before the audible alarm kicks in. But even then, the alarm (or sound effect or music) starts out very quietly and then gradually gets louder, so you are NEVER jarred by this thing.

I eventually got both of our teenagers one of these, and I've never had to wake them up for school again. Yeah, it's THAT good.

My son has the round one, and I tried it out for several nights, but I prefer the tall models. The halogen light just seems less harsh, and I find the controls easier to work on the tall model. Not EASY, just EASIER; the controls on these things are an engineering failure, but I still think these lights are SO worth having.

Buy one for every member of your family!

hanuta44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hanuta44
danpilot wrote:Do either of these units allow the use of ONLY the progressive lighting without using the alarm sounds?

Just turn the volume down all the way to off. Then all you get is the light in the morning.
Its the same with the light, if one only wants to use the alarm for example.
This is for 3470, I assume it would be the same for the other?

danpilot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danpilot
hanuta44 wrote:Just turn the volume down all the way to off. Then all you get is the light in the morning.
Its the same with the light, if one only wants to use the alarm for example.
This is for 3470, I assume it would be the same for the other?

thanks! on some alarms there is no volume control for the tone/beep, and I have had some where, even when the radio is selected with volume turned down, there is a loud speaker 'pop' anyway

hanuta44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hanuta44
danpilot wrote:thanks! on some alarms there is no volume control for the tone/beep, and I have had some where, even when the radio is selected with volume turned down, there is a loud speaker 'pop' anyway

There is a volume control. Thankfully, because that mean bird would otherwise scream in my ear in the morning. I have to turn that one down a few notches.
It still starts from low to that level you set, just like the light.
I haven't actually tried the radio yet.

InFrom

rebontheweb wrote:I've had a model similar to the tall one for a few years now, and it has totally changed the way I feel about getting up early. Now, if Hubby has to catch an early flight and says, "Set the alarm to 4am," no problem! I know it will be easy and comfortable to wake up. Both of us almost always wake up to the light alone, before the audible alarm kicks in. But even then, the alarm (or sound effect or music) starts out very quietly and then gradually gets louder, so you are NEVER jarred by this thing.

I eventually got both of our teenagers one of these, and I've never had to wake them up for school again. Yeah, it's THAT good.

My son has the round one, and I tried it out for several nights, but I prefer the tall models. The halogen light just seems less harsh, and I find the controls easier to work on the tall model. Not EASY, just EASIER; the controls on these things are an engineering failure, but I still think these lights are SO worth having.

Buy one for every member of your family!

To paraphrase my question above: what happens if only one of you needs to wake up early? Does the light wake both of you anyway?

pg318

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pg318

I like the idea of these. It does seem a shame that I have to wear earplugs to block out the real birds and have blackout blinds to keep the sun out, but I'm a very light sleeper - even the first dim light through the north facing bathroom window round the corner of the en-suite wakes me unless I remember to close that door.
Just today found an app for my phone that does this - gradually increasing light and birdsong crescendo. I'll give that a try first.

fantismalspider

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fantismalspider
InFrom wrote:To paraphrase my question above: what happens if only one of you needs to wake up early? Does the light wake both of you anyway?

I don't have a second person in my room, but I'll try to answer this anyway: Probably? Unless you're very sensitive and your partner isn't and you have the light super dim right next to you?

But isn't that the flaw with sleeping with someone else in your room anyway? Regardless of how you wake up, it'll wake them up too?

I'd say your partner would be less upset waking up to this than an alarm, though, and you can always offer them a sleep mask to help block the light they see.

InFrom

fantismalspider wrote:I don't have a second person in my room, but I'll try to answer this anyway: Probably? Unless you're very sensitive and your partner isn't and you have the light super dim right next to you?

But isn't that the flaw with sleeping with someone else in your room anyway? Regardless of how you wake up, it'll wake them up too?

I'd say your partner would be less upset waking up to this than an alarm, though, and you can always offer them a sleep mask to help block the light they see.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I guess because my spouse sleeps with earplugs, and my alarm is just a gentle strumming sound emanating from the iPod Touch, we haven't been affected by the "flaw", as you put it. I suspect it might be a bit much to propose adding on a sleep mask in the interest of trying out a new technology. May have to pass on this one.