delRhode


quality posts: 0 Private Messages delRhode
firefox91 wrote:A lot of people keep talking about how sexy the Roku 3 is and the old ones are obsolete. Why? I just bought a brand new Roku 1 from Amazon for $50 and it works perfectly. The menu scrolling is spot on, so I don't see where the faster processor is needed. I have no need for the headphone jack in the remote nor the need for the motion remote to play games since I already have a ton of other gaming devices. The only limitations I found is where Roku sandbags certain updates just to get people to buy the more expensive Roku 3. (Like the Netflix profiles update.) That update will still come to my unit, just delayed. Bottom line, I haven't seen anything substantial that makes the Roku 3 so much better than the Roku 1 that I actually need.



Well, I don't know if they're "sandbagging" or not, but I do know that older models don't get the firmware updates that newer models do, and what apps are available are tied to the firmware revision. I picked up one of those Simple.TV boxes from a prior wooting, and ended up upgrading from my trusty XR-model Roku to this model, so I could get a working app for it. I agree, if you've got an existing Roku box, and you've got all the channels you want, and you don't mind the slow interface, by all means, milk it 'til it dies... but if you're new to Roku, or any of that doesn't apply to you, this is the model to get, especially at this price.

clintone


quality posts: 12 Private Messages clintone
firefox91 wrote:A lot of people keep talking about how sexy the Roku 3 is and the old ones are obsolete. Why? I just bought a brand new Roku 1 from Amazon for $50 and it works perfectly. The menu scrolling is spot on, so I don't see where the faster processor is needed. I have no need for the headphone jack in the remote nor the need for the motion remote to play games since I already have a ton of other gaming devices. The only limitations I found is where Roku sandbags certain updates just to get people to buy the more expensive Roku 3. (Like the Netflix profiles update.) That update will still come to my unit, just delayed. Bottom line, I haven't seen anything substantial that makes the Roku 3 so much better than the Roku 1 that I actually need.



A couple of advantages of newer rokus, although not necessarily just the 3. I found when I went from a roku from a couple years ago to a 2, more channels were available that couldn't be supported by the older, such as PBS and PBS Kids. Secondly, the newer rokus support closed captioning, notably on Netflix. If you're content with fewer, albeit still good, channels then an older model is sufficient. I have my older ones in the kid's room (I know...what decent parent lets their kid have a TV in their room) and it streams Netflix and other channels just fine. I went for the newer models primarily for the closed captioning and the additional channels were a bonus.

robinlucyskye


quality posts: 2 Private Messages robinlucyskye
Dylistn wrote:Bought one of these on woot a while back. It did not respond to the remote. So it's a brick. Did not take any action to correct this other then to contact woot who sent a response that they got the message.

I see for other post that this is not unheard of and can be fixed. So maybe I'll follow up.



We bought one of these in the last Woot in January. The remote also did not work but just needed to be paired with the Roku. The instructions for pairing are on the last page of the Troubleshooting section. If you no longer have the instructions, unplug the power adapter on the Roku and plug it back in. Open the remote battery compartment. Put the remote in close proximity to the Roku. Press and hold the pairing button inside the remote's battery compartment for 3 seconds. Wait about 10 seconds for the remote LED to stop flashing. Voila! Working remote!

jeffjcc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffjcc

OK, I'm going for it. Seems a bit unclear... does this come with the HDMI cord? Or do I need to supply my own?

sucker4crap


quality posts: 20 Private Messages sucker4crap

Woot, you just got a plug on TwiT TV (This Week in Technology) from Leo LaPorte's show, for today's refurb - watching it on my Roku 3... BTW, TwiT TV is a great free Roku app...

craigthom


quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
firefox91 wrote:A lot of people keep talking about how sexy the Roku 3 is and the old ones are obsolete. Why? I just bought a brand new Roku 1 from Amazon for $50 and it works perfectly. The menu scrolling is spot on, so I don't see where the faster processor is needed. I have no need for the headphone jack in the remote nor the need for the motion remote to play games since I already have a ton of other gaming devices. The only limitations I found is where Roku sandbags certain updates just to get people to buy the more expensive Roku 3. (Like the Netflix profiles update.) That update will still come to my unit, just delayed. Bottom line, I haven't seen anything substantial that makes the Roku 3 so much better than the Roku 1 that I actually need.



The Roku 1 you bought is not one of the older models; it's the current generation (third) as this model, but it has fewer features (Micro SD slot, game controller, dual band wireless, ethernet port, slower processor).

They changed their naming scheme with the third generation Rokus. See the chart others have posted here and on the Amazon.com product page for the one you bought.

craigthom


quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
cashipley wrote:The 3 also has a USB port and a micro-SD slot. Haven't used either of those on mine yet, but good to have.



The Roku 2 XS also has a USB port and a Micro SD slot.

rldreams


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rldreams
redrotors wrote:I have not had to use woot CS but I can tell you that 1Sale CS does not exist except in name only. If you contact them it is a good bet you will probably never hear back, if you do it will be in a week or two and you will not resolve your issue. Be prepared to file a chargeback with your CC (1Sale can't be bothered to respond to the CC company either).



I agree 1000% about 1sale. I ordered 2 3D BR players from them back in Nov. The claimed (sent me tracking numbers and everything) they were shipped 3 days later. They did not ship (according to UPS) until 4 weeks later. The models we received were NOT the 3D models we ordered. After 6 weeks of emailing 1sale and waiting 7-10 days for each response and giving them all the documentation including pictures of the severely damaged packaging (were only in retail boxes) ,I filed a claim with PayPal. another 30 days passed and they had not responded to PayPal either, so we escalated the claim. Still no response from 1Sale ,so PayPal issued us a partial credit for the difference in price between the model we ordered and the model we received . The ONLY response from 1sale was to block me from making comments on their FB page.

The other extreme with Woot CS. On more than one occasion they have been the one to initiate contact to let me know there "MAY" be a problem or delay with an order. In one instance they issued me a full credit and then shipped the item anyways when it became available. In another Fedex "lost" a shipment (been "out for delivery today" for 10 days) 1 email to Woot and it was delivered the next morning.

craigthom


quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
wizwor wrote:All models support YouTube.



No, they don't. There are some hacks that do it (PlayOn, Plex) through a computer on the same network, but that's not the same as native support (and is not guaranteed to keep working, since it is not authorized by YouTube).

craigthom


quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
arrith wrote:To all the people talking about remote issues.... there's an app for that. You don't even have to have line of sight for it to work.



You don't need line-of-sight for the remote that comes with it, either, since it's Bluetooth. Unless you like having another light near the TV, the unit can be tucked behind something.

brndnstffrd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brndnstffrd

I have seen these for a while now and have been wondering, whats better about using this than my Xbox 360? What can this do that the Xbox cant?

haveabigjohnson


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haveabigjohnson

I only bought this because the total came to $69. Ponder that.

foxandgoos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages foxandgoos

Bought one last time (for $5 more!) and wish I'd done it months ago. Works great, no problems!

djbiagini


quality posts: 0 Private Messages djbiagini

I've run into one problem with my Roku 3 that wasn't an issue with my 2xs... It doesn't work through my hdmi switch. My tv only has one hdmi input, so the switch is kind of necessary. i hoped to replace the 2xs with the 3, but no dice. roku told me "The Roku 3 player
was originally designed to work with a direct connection to the TV using HDMI so we could not guarantee its functionality a 100% if the Roku player is connected through a switch. It may or
may not work." Keep this in mind if you plan on using it with a hdmi switch. mine's a monoprice hdx-401e.

ModemJunki


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ModemJunki

I bought one of these the last time it was offered. It worked, had to reset then pair the remote during setup.

But the headphones it came with were NOT the nice Roku ones, instead some cheap dollar-store ones were in the box. I didn't even bother to pull the tie wrap off them and just left them in the box.

Not 100% as advertised....

USPS shipping SUCKS.

ModemJunki


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ModemJunki
rldreams wrote:I agree 1000% about 1sale. I ordered 2 3D BR players from them back in Nov. The claimed (sent me tracking numbers and everything) they were shipped 3 days later. They did not ship (according to UPS) until 4 weeks later. The models we received were NOT the 3D models we ordered. After 6 weeks of emailing 1sale and waiting 7-10 days for each response and giving them all the documentation including pictures of the severely damaged packaging (were only in retail boxes) ,I filed a claim with PayPal. another 30 days passed and they had not responded to PayPal either, so we escalated the claim. Still no response from 1Sale ,so PayPal issued us a partial credit for the difference in price between the model we ordered and the model we received . The ONLY response from 1sale was to block me from making comments on their FB page.

The other extreme with Woot CS. On more than one occasion they have been the one to initiate contact to let me know there "MAY" be a problem or delay with an order. In one instance they issued me a full credit and then shipped the item anyways when it became available. In another Fedex "lost" a shipment (been "out for delivery today" for 10 days) 1 email to Woot and it was delivered the next morning.



I do believe 1Sale is now part of the same place that rus "Daily Steals", "Ice Monkey", "Heists" - they simply added new names. I've learned to simply avoid them. I could forgive one messed up order (wireless mouse - sent non working and never responded) but the second messed up order was the end of it. Stay away from those guys.

USPS shipping SUCKS.

z3r0sand0n3s


quality posts: 0 Private Messages z3r0sand0n3s
Spaztrick wrote:I was thinking about getting one of these but was curious how well it does on streaming your own content from a computer. I currently have a WDTV Live and only stream .mkv, avi, .mp3, etc and not even interested in Netflix or Hulu. So, how well does the Roku handle this?



My wife and I recently picked the Roku 3 up from a wholesale club. We'd been using a Vizio TV with apps for Netflix and Hulu, but had trouble with Hulu being laggy and Netflix had issues initially connecting. The Roku resolved these issues with very smooth, fast, lag-free streaming.

We also found an app on the Roku called Media Browser. This would be one answer to your question. You have to install a server component on the computer you want to stream from, but from there it's cake. Use the very simple server GUI to pick what folders you want shared to the Roku app, and boom - instant streaming, very smooth, good quality picture. Haven't found any common extensions that don't play yet either.

You can also set music up this way, but my collection has some metadata issues that cause it not to display by artist/album correctly. But it's all there. There's a plugin for pictures too, but I played with that for all of about a minute, haven't seen it work.

The only thing I'll say is the current version gets real iffy with folders. I'm never sure if it's going to render directory structure correctly, so I've kept it simple - one folder I can throw whatever movies into.

TL;DR - Native app does what you want with a minimum of hassle. Me likey.

ticomike


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike

I got a 2 xd and a couple 3's in January. Each time I ordered two players and each time I had one bad power cord. I have case numbers but no communication. It's been weeks. No excuse to take this long.

bonniebluebasset1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonniebluebasset1

Is there a way to get local channels through Roku? Also do you need to keep Direct Tv or Dish to access channels?

robinlucyskye


quality posts: 2 Private Messages robinlucyskye
jeffjcc wrote:OK, I'm going for it. Seems a bit unclear... does this come with the HDMI cord? Or do I need to supply my own?



The refurbished Roku we bought from Woot did not come with the HDMI cable.

dassin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dassin

Not really sure how great this deal is. $65 plus basic shipping and tax was more like $76.

Just ordered a Roku factory refurb from Amazon for $80 with prime shipping and NO tax, so $80.

superyu7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages superyu7

Damn, bought one a month ago. I love it, you can also stream from your computer to it.

redrotors


quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors
bonniebluebasset1 wrote:Is there a way to get local channels through Roku? Also do you need to keep Direct Tv or Dish to access channels?



If it's avail. in your area you can get local channels w/Roku via an Aereo subscription. Be aware that big media is fighting Aereo all the way to the US supreme court so, depending on what the supremes rule, Aereo could disappear or change drastically in approx. 6 mo.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303754404579312803361479842

MarkES


quality posts: 4 Private Messages MarkES

Dang it, I just bought one of these from best buy last week. So far I love it. If you're using the headphones the sound quality isn't the greatest but it's not bad, but it does seem to drain the the battery pretty quickly so if you're going to be using the headphones a lot, get some rechargable AA's

rldreams


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rldreams
firebirdude wrote:Newegg has the Roku 2 XS refurbed for $47.95 today. Same as the 3 minus the headphone jack and slightly faster processor. But Roku 2 XS has composite video output as well as HDMI, so it's compatible with older TVs that don't have HDMI. The Newegg bundle actually comes with two remotes and a HDMI cable too. Check the deals section. :-)


Yes and Woot had the 2XD for $35 last month. BUT the 2XD has outdated firmware and based on the reply I got from Roku about outdated Netflix app they have no intention of supporting the 2XD any longer.

philgonet


quality posts: 10 Private Messages philgonet
MISRy wrote:... In hindsight my biggest complaint with the 3 is they made the remote do more, the headphones, and made the batteries smaller, from AA to AAA.



REALLY?. According to the specs listed on the woot! sale page, the units comes with 2 AA batteries... why would they send you batteries that don't fit???

wizwor


quality posts: 21 Private Messages wizwor
craigthom wrote:No, they don't. There are some hacks that do it (PlayOn, Plex) through a computer on the same network, but that's not the same as native support (and is not guaranteed to keep working, since it is not authorized by YouTube).


Apparently, you did not follow the link. There is a channel in the OFFICIAL channel store that plays youtube videos. All the VCMs use it. You simply need to know the 'secret'

wizwor


quality posts: 21 Private Messages wizwor
philgonet wrote:REALLY?. According to the specs listed on the woot! sale page, the units comes with 2 AA batteries... why would they send you batteries that don't fit???


Correct the R3 uses AA batteries. The Roku 2s released last fall (not the R2XS) use AAA batteries.

wizwor


quality posts: 21 Private Messages wizwor
brndnstffrd wrote:I have seen these for a while now and have been wondering, whats better about using this than my Xbox 360? What can this do that the Xbox cant?


the xbox is better. BUT you pay more for the hardware, pay for the gold membership, and pay more for electricity.

wizwor


quality posts: 21 Private Messages wizwor
craigthom wrote:You don't need line-of-sight for the remote that comes with it, either, since it's Bluetooth. Unless you like having another light near the TV, the unit can be tucked behind something.


The remote that comes with the R3 is NOT BT -- it's wi-fi direct.

topshelf63


quality posts: 0 Private Messages topshelf63
Dylistn wrote:Bought one of these on woot a while back. It did not respond to the remote. So it's a brick. Did not take any action to correct this other then to contact woot who sent a response that they got the message.

I see for other post that this is not unheard of and can be fixed. So maybe I'll follow up.



Did you sync the remote? The button is under the battery cover on the remote. I had the same problem.....

wootnessless


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootnessless

Nooooooooooooo...!

Sold out

I had one sitting in my cart for 10 minutes

craigthom


quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
wizwor wrote:Apparently, you did not follow the link. There is a channel in the OFFICIAL channel store that plays youtube videos. All the VCMs use it. You simply need to know the 'secret'



Apparently you don't understand what you are reading. The only apps listed there are third party, and they are all providing YouTube without permission.

csram


quality posts: 1 Private Messages csram
ysteichman wrote:Feel free to check out my post on deals.woot for a possible better deal.



Got mine thanks to ysteichman.

brndnstffrd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brndnstffrd
wizwor wrote:the xbox is better. BUT you pay more for the hardware, pay for the gold membership, and pay more for electricity.



So if i already havethe xbox and xbox live gold, then im better off sticking to my xbox then?

jackfish


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackfish

I think I can live without another Roku3. The one I bought around Christmas doesn't work. Woot told me to check out Roku website to reconnect remote. Good idea except that's not the problem. No further response from customer service since then. Consider me an "ex wooter".

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 125 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

jackfish wrote:I think I can live without another Roku3. The one I bought around Christmas doesn't work. Woot told me to check out Roku website to reconnect remote. Good idea except that's not the problem. No further response from customer service since then. Consider me an "ex wooter".



Hello there, I'll check in with CS on your order- you do have a warranty with Roku though, did you try calling them to see if they could get you a replacement?


ddockery


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddockery

So mine showed up today and the remote doesn't have the headphone jack at all... did I misread something or was this a mix-up?

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 125 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

ddockery wrote:So mine showed up today and the remote doesn't have the headphone jack at all... did I misread something or was this a mix-up?



Hey, sorry about that- you should be able to email into us at support@woot.com, I'm told we should have a few replacements available.


susie-s


quality posts: 5 Private Messages susie-s

I got mine the other day, works perfectly, and I really really love it -- close captioning!!! Do not like having to click a letter, hit "ok" click the next letter, "ok" etc etc etc... Other than that - I rate it about as perfect as streaming can get.
Oh yeah, at first I couldn't get the remote to work, then I found that teeny little button when the battery case is off, I said, "I wonder what this does?", I pushed it, and BINGO, remote came to life.
Huh!

Category Five
*edited: broken link/img*