Nesher

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Nesher

[quote postid="5771509" user="the.ronin"]Oh boy. Looks like there's going to be a ton new Phantom flyers soon. Guys this is not a toy. Don't be like the braintrust in Manhattan that flew his around the city and crashed it everywhere and made the news. Understand that laws governing use is iffy at best (yes, FAA did just lose out to a kid in Federal Court). Stay below 400 ft and at least 5 miles away from any airport. If you plan to transmit video back to you then you technically need at a minimum a HAM radio license as per FCC regulation. MOST IMPORTANTLY - google "lipo battery fire" and "Naza flyaway". This is an awesome piece of kit, but understand what you are buying here. And if you still go ahead and buy, here's your new home: http://www.djiphantomforum.net/

Amen!

Also: droneflyers.com
and phantompilots.com

Drone Flyers has a great comparison between the Phantom and Phantom 2 models here: http://droneflyers.com/2014/01/dji-phantom-models-differences-hobbyists-guide/#more-1870

Here is a bunch of letters from the FAA that all say the same thing: Don't fly for profit/research/hire/compensation; stay away from people/crowds, airports, and buildings; fly within line of sight; stay under 400 feet above ground level.

http://api.ning.com/files/mhrng7eeJg2BokvoeqU-SVjGszcaAi6cySzr5NjDZ34-IKy3E77k*cqv6foeiku3yytqChUfVEmhyvfhZSMSC6A-IzoJ8e1r/20135943McKayResponsiveRecords.pdf

Don't fly indoors, unless you don't mind scratching/slicing your walls and other belongings.

Proverbs32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Proverbs32

1sale.com got better price now.
http://1sale.com/electronics/portable-electronics/drone-quadcopter-for-gopro/

mjurcisin77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjurcisin77

How loud is this model? Can you hear it from 500 feet away?

Nesher

mjurcisin77 wrote:How loud is this model? Can you hear it from 500 feet away?

I don't think that I can hear mine from that far. Certainly can hear it from 200 feet away. Having said that: you will NOT be able to use this to sneak up on people/wildlife. Birds (particularly some raptors) have been known to check these out, sometimes aggressively.

halcyonandon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halcyonandon

Wowwy, 14% off! Never, in all my life, have i seen such an amazing, stupendous, miraculous deal.

baaagent2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baaagent2
garygary52 wrote:Does anyone know what are the major difference between the 1st and 2nd gen? The price is a huge different. Btw, I had bad experience with 1sale, they sent me a fake tracking number and refused to refund my order for 5 months..

I have had similar problems with 1sale, I would stay away

djslack

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djslack
bkgoodman wrote:From some of the trees - it appears to have been quite windy when some of this video was shot! That being said - copter appeared to do quite well!!

Yes that was a windy day. I was putting the gps/flight controller through its paces and was pretty well impressed with the results. The weather reported ~20mph winds that day, and the wind was blowing sideways across that little walkway bridge I flew through but it held its course with no problem.

mattjk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattjk

You guys really need to read this thread before you buy any DJI product.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919850

There are tons of flyaways involving the DJI Naza flight controller that is in the Phantom.

DJI will not do anything about it, and they claim there are no issues.

Every other day there is a new post about how their quad started banking to the left or right, and they lose it.

mattjk

This was just posted today about a Naza Flyaway.

Lost my F450 Today
While i was testing new battery and propellers, got him to about 50 meters when he started tilting to it's left. I tried to fix it's positioning while trying to bring it down, when suddently he flew away.

I had no FPV so i have no way of knowing where it might crash landed or in which direction it might go. The idea was testing the power of new batteries with singular small bursts around the area i was in.

Looked in the direction it went, it had a steep inclination on the terrain so it shouldn't have gone too far, but i have no idea if the NAZA's flyaways are in straight lines or not.

Tried to look during the night in the hopes that the battery didn't somehow disconnect and the LED light would give me a clue, no luck.

At this point my hopes of recovering my quadcopter are little to none, i wont be spending money or time in this kind of equipment so soon. I'm not the rich kind of guy and as a freelancer i can say the 400€ i paid for it was quite expensive.

I don't know if this is unique to DJI NAZA or if it does happen with other Flight Controllers. It's quite scary to think that you could have a lot of money in the air that could in any moment, without any notice flyaway to who ever knows where.

I've seen this and other threads after i purchased my NAZA. But since it's a recent build (came with latest firmware) i thought it might be some issues with past firmwares or versions.

The build had only 2 months with roughly 300 minutes of flight.

F450 Frame
DJI OPTO 30A escs
DJI 2212 Engines
Turnigy nano-tech 4000mAh battery
NAZA V2
NAZA GPS
TX/RX Futaba T7CP

Guess i'll be going back to my gliders.

PS: Stay away from DJI products.

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

Most fly-aways happen when the quad doesn't have a lock on enough GPS satellites. The newer boards have better GPS.
Also, the further you fly it, the more likely your signal is to drop long enough to lose it. But a return-to-home feature should kick in.

The newest Phantom models are quite improved, but you're still paying a premium for pre-built and looks when you could build or buy an open-frame quad and get more flexibility at lower cost.

mmayhew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmayhew

Ordered mine with 1-day shipping before 11:30am CST so I should receive it tomorrow just in time for the weekend. I've been flying an AR Drone 2.0 w/ GPS Module and several small quads. I've been looking to upgrade to either a DJI Phantom or Blade 350 qx. This was the right opportunity.

mattjk

HughHemington wrote:Most fly-aways happen when the quad doesn't have a lock on enough GPS satellites. The newer boards have better GPS.
Also, the further you fly it, the more likely your signal is to drop long enough to lose it. But a return-to-home feature should kick in.

The newest Phantom models are quite improved, but you're still paying a premium for pre-built and looks when you could build or buy an open-frame quad and get more flexibility at lower cost.

That's a bunch of crock. It's the majority of the newer V2 with the latest firmwares that are flyaways.

Besides, it happens in Attitude mode as well, in this mode GPS is not even used or plugged in.

the.ronin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the.ronin
mattjk wrote:That's a bunch of crock. It's the majority of the newer V2 with the latest firmwares that are flyaways.

Besides, it happens in Attitude mode as well, in this mode GPS is not even used or plugged in.

Actually I would tend to agree that flyaways are maybe 75% pilot error. In particular, having IOC on without knowing it, having the quad facing you, and you pushing the stick forward expecting it to come back to you. As you see it drift further away, you panic and push even further forward until the thing just punches out and shoots off into the distance. WATCH THAT IOC SWITCH.

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

In my opinion, I'd rather pay more for the phantom 2 vision plus, that was just released a few days ago. I think it comes in around $1300, but the included gimbal, camera, fpv, and BEAUTIFUL video are worth it.

Seriously. Youtube a few videos of the vision plus. The quality makes these pale in comparison. Actually here's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuGvMb89hig

noc007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noc007

This is NOT A TOY. Please do not treat this like a toy; you could seriously hurt someone with this. Do not rely on any Return To Home or Auto Land feature. Do not turn off the transmitter (the controller) expecting it to just come back. Look up the videos on YouTube of the number of people that rely on this and then the battery dies and it falls out of the sky and hits something or someone.

Fly responsibly and everyone will have a good time with no injuries. Treat it like the Tyco Typhoon II from your childhood and you're going to have a bad time.

Nesher

mattjk wrote:That's a bunch of crock. It's the majority of the newer V2 with the latest firmwares that are flyaways.

That's the point. If you fly in GPS mode, with good satellite lock, with a Phantom (notice the post you quoted is with a completely different frame AND a different flight controller) fly-aways seem to be rare.

All I can say from personal experience is I've never had a fly-away with my Parrot AR nor with my P2V.

Nesher

Here is a bunch of letters from the FAA that all say the same thing: Don't fly for profit/research/hire/compensation; stay away from people/crowds, airports, and buildings; fly within line of sight; stay under 400 feet above ground level.

http://api.ning.com/files/mhrng7eeJg2BokvoeqU-SVjGszcaAi6cySzr5NjDZ34-IKy3E77k*cqv6foeiku3yytqChUfVEmhyvfhZSMSC6A-IzoJ8e1r/20135943McKayResponsiveRecords.pdf

On the other hand, this ruling may (at least for now) void all restrictions on UAV use, including for commercial purposes:
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/03/10/commercial-drones-faa/

bobbyb0322

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bobbyb0322

Thanks for the info Matt. I was about to pull the trigger on one of these and your post made me do a little more research. I think I will figure something else out.

mattjk

bobbyb0322 wrote:Thanks for the info Matt. I was about to pull the trigger on one of these and your post made me do a little more research. I think I will figure something else out.

No problem. People need to be aware of things like this.

Here is another reason to be aware of DJI products.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2142424

http://www.suasnews.com/2014/04/28442/dji-introduce-firmware-to-prevent-flight-near-airports/?utm_source=sUAS+News+Daily&utm_campaign=7fa7aaa46b-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b3c0776dde-7fa7aaa46b-303661693

DJI Blocks out fly area around airports

With the latest firmware, if you live anywhere from 30 to 5 mile radius of an airport, or any designated area that DJI feels you should not be flying, your phantom will not arm.

So if you live near one of these places, you've just bought yourself a brick.

avass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avass

You can ALWAYS buy this for this price from B&W Photo... :-(

mattjk

another awesome dji product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZkMxGgz8b8

Nmar810

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nmar810

did 1 day shipping got it 20 hrs after i ordered. Had built f550 ( w 6 rotors) and added gimbal etc etc....this quad flys better than my 550 overall just lighter and more wobbly in the wind. lot of fun! Got 20 minutes on a charge and fc40 camera while not high end video is fairly nice considering. Thanks Woot.

yourmailman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yourmailman

OK, I bought one of the monsters. The only thing I have negative to say is that some of the instructions are counter intuitive. I accidentally powered off the controller with the Phantom still idling. After 60 seconds it decided to take off to find home, so I grabbed it and bruised and cut my fingers on the furiously spinning blades. I straight-away bought a set of prop guards to keep that from happening again!

After watching a few youtube videos and re-reading the instructions, I was able to fire that baby up and have 3 fairly short flights (only the first one ended in a crash as I was too near a tree. The next two were to try out the GPS systems, which seems to work flawlessly, even in some wind.

Next, I mounted the camera and took it to a wide open space to get more familiar with the aircraft. It was glorious! Filmed for about 9 minutes before the battery lost power and I had what I would consider a hard-forced landing. No damage at all, however. The camera popped out of it's rubber grommet thingies and not a scratch on it.

Here's a link to my first flight with the camera and first night-flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wudmRGeQKeg

I was up 80 or 90 feet when it happened and it came down pretty quick. It actually landed about 3 feet from the home point. It just didn't have enough juice to come down as slow as it did before (I am guessing from the added weight of the camera). I got it up to over 100 ft with no issues at all until the battery drained.

Overall, it was a blast! I got up above the treeline and got some pretty decent HD video of the park where I had just played tennis.

I am now officially addicted to these things. I think I am going to have to upgrade to the Phantom 2 Vision+ in the very near future.

Sipping was fast and cheap. Only $18 for overnight delivery! Seems like a well built machine.

I also bought 2 extra batteries with the prop-guards, so I should be able to get 3 flights out of it before having to give up.

I will probably be selling the FC40 as soon as I get the Vision+ in a few weeks.

If you think you might be interested at all in one of these airborne marvels, I suggest starting with the FC40. Not that expensive, and you can always move up.

cheeseburglar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheeseburglar

Just unboxed mine... f$%#ing screws for the landing gear are not in the box... I can't describe how angry I am at the moment.... EDIT PRO TIP one of the 2 bags that looks like silica packets has the landing gear screws in it...

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

cheeseburglar wrote:Just unboxed mine... f$%#ing screws for the landing gear are not in the box... I can't describe how angry I am at the moment....

Very sorry to hear that you're possibly missing portions of your purchase.

If you haven't already, please email into support@woot.com and let them know what's going on.
They'll help answer any questions you have and try and find a simple resolve to the issue.

cheeseburglar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheeseburglar

Thanks, turns out I'm just stupid...

ROGETRAY wrote:Very sorry to hear that you're possibly missing portions of your purchase.

If you haven't already, please email into support@woot.com and let them know what's going on.
They'll help answer any questions you have and try and find a simple resolve to the issue.