chaddwarwick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaddwarwick

anyone have this working with Apple TV? it looks like some test apps for Roku are out, but not seeing if apple TV has direct support or if you have to jailbreak it to get a new channel

eastcobbler

quality posts: 9 Private Messages eastcobbler

I have one of these and I love it. But I can't use more than one tuner at a time or the recordings are garbled. Does that mean my computer, or perhaps video card? does not have sufficient processing power?

saintlupus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages saintlupus

Is anyone using this with Time Warner and MythTV? I'd love to get some HD cable instead of the old analog Hauppage tuners I'm using now.

I'm in Buffalo, if anyone has direct experience using it here.

cmoxey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmoxey

Does it work with Directv?

johnfbeas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnfbeas

Just checked with Charter and they charge $2 for a cablecard (no promise it would be the same for you!)

3eyore

quality posts: 7 Private Messages 3eyore
ThunderThighs wrote:I love the way y'all are helping each other understand how this works and how to set it up.

♥♥♥

That's because the manufacturer provides almost no detailed information on how to set it up, and absolutely no information on how the various applications work.

I've been running around trying to find out basic info, like "how do I browse or change TV channels from my PC? From my Android tablet? From my existing TV?" and can't find boo.

Oh, yeah, it seems that if you plan on using Windows Media Center on a PC you first have to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, which is an additional $100. Per machine. Gets pretty expensive after awhile.

hashiriya2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hashiriya2k

has anyone had success using this with Verizon FIOS?

rjdyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjdyer
deejayoh wrote:I have one of these. It works great with Windows MCE. It wont' work with any system that's not cablelabs certified (e.g. XMBC). Also - be aware that you really need to use a wired connection to get an artifact-free tv picture. If you watch over wifi, I found you get a lot of pixellation

You are wholly wrong. I have this streaming right now through XBMC over WiFi and streaming/recording 1080 HD. You need N wifi obviously but it is possible. XBMC setup is using NextPVR and the corresponding plug ins on my Raspberry Pi on each TV.

rjdyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjdyer
3eyore wrote:That's because the manufacturer provides almost no detailed information on how to set it up, and absolutely no information on how the various applications work.

I've been running around trying to find out basic info, like "how do I browse or change TV channels from my PC? From my Android tablet? From my existing TV?" and can't find boo.

Oh, yeah, it seems that if you plan on using Windows Media Center on a PC you first have to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, which is an additional $100. Per machine. Gets pretty expensive after awhile.

More wrong information here, you can use Windows Media Center on Windows 7. I have it running on there currently.

wooterhamlincoln

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterhamlincoln

Chicago area Comcast: HD card fee is an additional outlet fee $10. I asked about the free card and they said it only applies to standard def cards. Because we have triple play, it doesn't save us anything (Box is included in the package).

kschoenberg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kschoenberg
dada1111 wrote:Will this work on Direct TV?

No, it requires a cable card.

kschoenberg

Comcast will give you one cable card at no charge. They have to do this as part of the "deal" with the FCC that allowed them to make the use of digital decoding boxes mandatory.

steveb944 wrote:Cable only, no satellite per above posted link.

EDIT: Personal note

I'll be contacting Comcast to find out how much they'll charge me to 'rent' the cable card. I REALLY hope it's not more than the box I'm already paying for.

kschoenberg

We have had one running for three years now and it has been fantastic. Far better than putting tuners in an HTPC. One box feeds two HTPCs running Windows 7 Media Center. Then any TV with an XBox connected can view all the live and recorded content.

teedo757

quality posts: 6 Private Messages teedo757

Ok so does this box convert the signal to an mp4 stream or whats going on here to get it to another device? Is it acting like a server and streaming or is this just spewing out an unencrypted tv signal?

steveken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages steveken
dcurwin wrote:I tried HDHRFling and it worked fine - deliverying non-copy once protected channels to ROKU. Note that HDHRFling isn't free.

Since all my TV's are hooked up to cable and capable of tuning OTA channels using clearQAM, HDHRFling didn't add any necessary functionality.

But if I had a TV that didn't have access to cable, then HDHRFling seemed like it would work fine - but again, just for non-copy protected (OTA). channels (YMMV - not all cable companies copy protect everything the way TWC does).

Not to be nitpicking, but I just wanted to help you get your terminology straight. It seems you might be confused. OTA stands for Over-The-Air. It isn't something a cable company delivers. And clearQAM is the encoding scheme a cable company sends the signals out. They are two separate things from two separate sources. ClearQAM is a dying beast and shouldn't be counted on anymore.

Like I said before, I am not sure why SiliconDust said that this HDHRPrime can't do OTA reception because I am 99% sure it can because that is one reason I purchased it.

dbmpsd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dbmpsd

I have the older SiliconDust Dual Digital HDTV Tuner from a Woot purchase about 4 years ago. I played with MythTV for a while, but have settled on using DVBlink on my Synology NAS to feed a OpenELEC HTPC and multiple mobile devices. I'm in for one, will convert the old tuner to just OTA and use this avoid the Comcast DVR costs.

donthaveone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donthaveone

It's real simple folks. This is not designed to be used with TVs. It is designed to work with computing devices (computers, tablets, smart phones, x-Box, PS3, etc.). Devices that do not have their own built-in TV tuners.

I have been using an HDHomerun Dual on my network for years and I use it primarily for watching live TV on my HTPC.

I have a computer hooked up to my network and an 82-inch Mitsubishi TV is it's monitor. Yes, the Mitsu TV has it's own TV tuner and I could watch TV without using the computer, but the software provided by SiliconDust with these units puts a slide-out menu on the right for quick channel-changing.

My Mitsu takes forever to switch between channels using the CH-UP and CH-DOWN buttons, and I don't want to have to memorize the channel numbers for all of my favorite channels.

The SiliconDust software shows me the channel name and number, and I can switch instantly between channels by clicking on the one I want. I can limit the listed channels to just the ones I want to see, and I can change the names to be easily recognizable.

This unit streams a TV signal over your local network in your home, and you need a device or software that can display the stream. Generally a TV cannot do this, especially a "dumb" TV.

I also don't think you can send this stream outside your local network (like slingbox).

This unit must be hard-wired to your router. It does not have wi-fi capability. However, devices connected to your network via wi-fi can show the stream (if they can show a DLNA stream).

donthaveone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donthaveone
hashiriya2k wrote:has anyone had success using this with Verizon FIOS?

The internet is not required to use this device, just a cable connection and a local network. I'm not sure what Verizon FIOS would have to do with the use of this device. Also, this device does not have wi-fi capability. It must be plugged in to your router via RJ-45 cable. I don't know how you would plug it in to Verizon FIOS.

scyber

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scyber
donthaveone wrote:The internet is not required to use this device, just a cable connection and a local network. I'm not sure what Verizon FIOS would have to do with the use of this device. Also, this device does not have wi-fi capability. It must be plugged in to your router via RJ-45 cable. I don't know how you would plug it in to Verizon FIOS.

FYI, Verizon FIOS is a TV service as well as an internet service.

And this product works fine with FIOS TV service.

pegleg1942

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pegleg1942

Does anyone know if it will stream to a Chromebook? Also, there appear to be problems with using it with Macs, of which we have 2 in the house - would it still be worth getting in this case?

SalParadise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SalParadise

I have one of these. It works well with WMC.

It won't work with something like MythTV if your provider encrypts the channels. It use to be that cable companies would only encrypt the premium channels, but my provider even encrypts the Weather Channel, which is basic cable.

You cannot receive any on-demand programming with this device, as numerous folks have pointed out. This is a limitation of the Cable CARD, not the tuner. You would have the same problem with any device that uses a Cable CARD, such as a TiVO.

Finally, if your cable company is offering 500+ channels, you will probably need to order a Tuning Adapter from them.

I have Time Warner Cable in upstate New York, and this is my situation. I periodically have to reset either the Home Run Prime, the Tuning Adapter, or both (usually both) when things go south. Both devices are marginally better than WMC itself, which is where I usually start my troubleshooting activities.

Knowing everything I know now about this product, I would buy it again, especially at this price.

speedball55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedball55
johnfbeas wrote:Just checked with Charter and they charge $2 for a cablecard (no promise it would be the same for you!)

True! I am currently using a cablecard on an older HD TV and my charge is $2.

davidmcgill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcgill

From Time Warner's website:

"To receive all TV services, Preferred TV, remote and lease of a Set-Top box are required. Some services are not available to CableCARD customers."

dcurwin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcurwin
steveken wrote:Not to be nitpicking, but I just wanted to help you get your terminology straight. It seems you might be confused. OTA stands for Over-The-Air. It isn't something a cable company delivers. And clearQAM is the encoding scheme a cable company sends the signals out. They are two separate things from two separate sources. ClearQAM is a dying beast and shouldn't be counted on anymore.

Like I said before, I am not sure why SiliconDust said that this HDHRPrime can't do OTA reception because I am 99% sure it can because that is one reason I purchased it.

Thanks. We are on the same page. I used the term "OTA" in context of "channels which are available OTA". In my area, these are the only channels that TWC does not copy protect.

Also, in my area, these same channels - local channels which are available OTA - are delivered via clear QAM from TWC, so I don't need a cable box to view them. But I agree that this is going to change eventually.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

From Comcast FAQ about CableCards - Updated on April 08, 2014 at 11:39 PM

The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo devices or CableCARD equipped televisions) is provided at no additional charge to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (i.e., TiVo Series 3 boxes), the cost is $1.50 per month for the additional card. Again, this only applies to a second CableCARD in the same device.
Note: If you subscribe to a video service level above Limited Basic and you have additional televisions connected to Comcast video service there will be an additional monthly service charge for your additional television outlets regardless of whether you lease equipment from Comcast or provide your own retail devices. If, however, you own a retail device, including a CableCARD device (e.g., TiVo or CableCARD equipped television) with an activated CableCARD installed and are subscribing to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as a part of the service, Comcast will issue you a monthly Customer Owned Equipment credit. Customer Owned Equipment Policy.

Drowlord

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Drowlord

I have this and love it.

FiOS in Dallas works with this. CableCard is $5 per month for me. DLNA lets me watch live TV on my Sony Bravia smart TV and other DLNA receivers (Xbox Media Center on PCs, WD TV Live, BubbleUPNP & VLC on Android smart phones).

I run this with NextPVR on a Windows 7 desktop computer. Other PVR software (MythTV) seemed to give me numerous problems, while NextPVR worked pretty good. It misses shows pretty frequently, though -- probably once in 10 recordings.

This lets me basically schedule and record TV shows to my computer in .ts file format. I use VideoReDo to tip, tail, and remove commercials, and then Handbrake to convert to h.264/acc .MP4 files. TwonkyMedia server then streams my media library to all the DLNA receivers in the house.

It's been a great device to capture shows. On repeats-heavy channels, you can capture just about the entire channel on your media server in a couple months -- every episode of every show.

Drowlord

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Drowlord

Also... I set up a VPN to give my parents access to my home network to see if they could watch cable streaming over the internet via UPNP. Turned out badly. I have 25 mbps up-stream, and they have 5 mbps down-stream in a rural area, and it was so choppy they were getting a few frames per second and constantly dropped the stream. Doesn't appear that you can share cable this way.

deejayoh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deejayoh
rjdyer wrote:You are wholly wrong. I have this streaming right now through XBMC over WiFi and streaming/recording 1080 HD. You need N wifi obviously but it is possible. XBMC setup is using NextPVR and the corresponding plug ins on my Raspberry Pi on each TV.

Not wholly wrong. But I could have been more specific. On any system except MCE, it works with "copy-freely" channels ONLY.

From the Silicon Dust site:

DVR applicationsHDHomeRun PRIME supports streaming access-controlled copy-freely channels to other DVR applications including MythTV. These are channels that you subscribe to, are encrypted on the cable system (access-controlled), and do not impose restriction on use inside the home (copy-freely).

So depending on your cable system, using XBMC you will only be able to decode a portion of your channels. It won't work for HBO, Showtime, and maybe a bunch of stuff you want like ESPN depending on how evil your cable provider is.

As for wifi - I could point you to pages and pages of discussion on the Silicondust forums where this has been beaten to death. If it works for you, you're probably generally a very lucky person

wheelgot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wheelgot

OK, sounds like direct streaming with ROKU is out. Hoped there may have been a "private" channel that supported it. Can I use this with Windows Media Player as a super DVR on my server PC, recording shows and then streaming it with PLEX on the ROKU? Also, I have a PS3 on one of my tv's, how do you tune channels with it?

mrosinbaum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrosinbaum

I have an 42" LG monitor (not a TV, and not smart) that has very few inputs( 2 HDMI, componant, composite, USB). how would I attach this to my Monitor?

And how do you save programs (shows), is there supposed to be a NAS or external HD?

And where does Google Chromecast fit in? It is android.

tcola75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tcola75
dada1111 wrote:Will this work on Direct TV?

No, it says only cable, not any satellite providers

deejayoh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deejayoh
mrosinbaum wrote:I have an 42" LG monitor (not a TV, and not smart) that has very few inputs( 2 HDMI, componant, composite, USB). how would I attach this to my Monitor?

And how do you save programs (shows), is there supposed to be a NAS or external HD?

Hook the HDHomerun to your network, and a PC running Windows or XBMC (w/limitations on which channels it can decode) to your TV. The Prime turns the TV signal into a stream that can be read by any device on the the network, and the PC acts as the cablebox/DVR.

The nicest thing about this setup IMHO is that you can set up the "guide" to show only the channels you want to. No more paging through 20 versions of HSN, 100 SD channels, and 50 foreign language channels

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind

In for 1. My Ceton card has been flaky as anything of late (and already replaced once under warranty with little difference). The Ceton works when it works, but it seems no amount of changing settings and updating software or firmware, etc, can make it reliable enough for non-techy family members to be happy about it.

kahuna75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kahuna75

I have FIOS and there is no way I would run this in my house with a wife and two kids...FIOS is $5 a month for the card which to me makes the saving not worth it for the hassle..I can not even imagine the phone calls I would get from home while trying to work due to something not working right.

If I had a dedicated TV to myself or lived alone then I would be in on this in a second...

FIOS is brutal with the card rental prices but overall I just keep reducing services every time they raise prices and usually they will negotiate.

www.kahunasfoodandwine.com on Twitter @kahunasfoodwine

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
deejayoh wrote:The nicest thing about this setup IMHO is that you can set up the "guide" to show only the channels you want to. No more paging through 20 versions of HSN, 100 SD channels, and 50 foreign language channels

I've seen this listed as a benefit a couple times now. I can do this on my Comcast cable box, so this isn't much of a selling point.

bobbyg91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbyg91

Will this work on a Visio tv I just bought a new one a few months ago. Bob

bobbyg91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbyg91
bobbyg91 wrote:Will this work on a Visio tv I just bought a new one a few months ago. Bob

jstanley1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jstanley1

FYI... I'm on Bright House. Here's how I use my HD Homerun Prime:

Value:
After your initial purchase, the HD Homerun Prime starts paying for itself by not having to lease a DVR from the cable company every month. The Woot price is almost half what I paid for mine. Where were you back then Woot? :p

Connection:
The HD Homerun Prime plugs in via Ethernet to my router, plugs into cable via a coax cable, and plugs into a Bright House provided tuning adapter via the USB port. (On Bright House, a tuning adapter is needed to be able to access all of your available channels. Without it, the HD Homerun Prime will work but you'll only get a subset of channels). There is no direct connection from the HD Homerun Prime to any computer, all my equipment lives in a closet. The HD Homerun Prime has a cablecard inserted (also provided by Bright House for a small monthly fee) which in turn works with the tuning adapter to authenticate your account and allow you to have the channels you are entitled to view.

Usage:
I then use my PC as a Media Center server on Windows 7 on my network. It records and plays back everything I want to watch. I have a dual core 3.5GHz CPU and it has no problem recording 3 HD streams simultaneously while playing back a previously recorded HD stream (4 streams at once). Then, I primarily do all my recording / watching on my Xbox 360 using the built in Media Center Extender in the living room. The Xbox 360 actually makes an excellent Media Center Extender with a smooth interface and ability to be fully controlled via a Media Center TV remote.

Effect:
My guests just watch TV and recorded via the Xbox. They don't even know that in a different room there is a computer recording/playing back, and in a closet there is an HD Homerun Prime and Bright House equipment doing all its magic. It's really all pretty simple, once you've completed the initial setup.

Setup:
All of the DAYS of problems I had getting everything connected, talking to each other, and working properly, were related to Bright House. YMMV. I have never had any problems with the HD Homerun Prime itself. I was persistent and patient, and ultimately all of the issues I had during setup were resolved. That was last year, so by now I would hope they have improved the process.

Would I recommend:
Yes, but only if you have a decent amount of tech savvy and a large amount of patience. Ultimately, when you get it all working, it works perfectly.

Features: *****
Price: *****
Ease of Use: **** (with MCE)
Initial Setup: ** (depends mainly on your cable provider, two stars could potentially be a generous rating)

demslam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages demslam
wheelgot wrote:Anyone know if this works with ROKU?

Not directly but there are 3rd party apps that can run on PC that convert the MPEG2 from the SiliconDust to MPEG4 to the Roku. I was running it on e350 (low-end CPU) and found it was not usable.
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15760

Another option could be HDHR Fling, though i have not been able to get this to work, though didn't spend much time with it.
http://hdhrfling.com/

demslam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages demslam
wheelgot wrote:OK, sounds like direct streaming with ROKU is out. Hoped there may have been a "private" channel that supported it. Can I use this with Windows Media Player as a super DVR on my server PC, recording shows and then streaming it with PLEX on the ROKU? Also, I have a PS3 on one of my tv's, how do you tune channels with it?

PLEX is a work in progress, need a decent CPU for transcoding (MPEG2 to MPEG4).
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/83233-hdsurfer-plug-in-for-hdhomerun/