knotworking

quality posts: 10 Private Messages knotworking
steveken wrote:The Plex channel is no longer free. It is now a $5 purchase.

I've seen that repeated by several users, I haven't paid for it on any of my devices and my neighbor just bought 3 rokus on a stick LAST WEEK and didn't get charged to add the plex channel on his devices. Got a link to an official roku/plex webpage revealing this charge?

onkyousa

quality posts: 27 Private Messages onkyousa

Here's an introductory video for the TX-NR 626 for your viewing pleasure:

soccergeek24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages soccergeek24
onkyousa wrote:Hello deemery; while this receiver doesn't support Apple AirPlay for audio playback- it does support Bluetooth and is easily AirPlay accessible with the use of Apple TV or the DS-A5 connected onto our receiver.

So if I wanted to have Apple TV play to my Zone two (outdoor) speakers only, is this possible using ONLY the HDMI? I would really like to have a one-stop-shop device for indoor and outdoor, but I don't want to have multiple cables having to be run. If I want to watch Apple TV inside (using 5.1) one day, and listen to music outside (Zone 2) the next, i don't want to have to switch cable every time (like some of the other receivers force me to).

onkyousa

soccergeek24 wrote:So if I wanted to have Apple TV play to my Zone two (outdoor) speakers only, is this possible using ONLY the HDMI? I would really like to have a one-stop-shop device for indoor and outdoor, but I don't want to have multiple cables having to be run. If I want to watch Apple TV inside (using 5.1) one day, and listen to music outside (Zone 2) the next, i don't want to have to switch cable every time (like some of the other receivers force me to).

Hello soccergeek24; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and to answer your question: Does you Apple TV only have a HDMI and digital optical output and no accompanying COMPOSITE ANALOG output as well? I ask because they are Digital to analog converters on the market that can be used for Apple TV customers to play their device thru ZONE 2: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_31?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=optical+to+analog+rca+converter&sprefix=optical+to+analog+rca+converter. This would also benefit in providing an analog audio signal and greatly reduce the lag time when broadcasting thru the MAIN zone and ZONE 2.

drakar2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drakar2007
calvecg wrote:I'm assuming the bluetooth means I can pair my phone and stream MP3s?

If nobody beat me to it, I can confirm on this one for you.

Noxide

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Noxide
stugoldstein wrote:Now I also have a Pioneer in my office along with my 2 Onkyos. Pionner is just as good, if not slightly better- but I also had a HDMI issue with the board- but Pioneer is more tight lipped about it.. just check AVSforums. The first thing is that the 626 outputs more watts per channel that the Pioneer (15 watts more per channel). Its states the RMS is 520 watts approx; while the Onkyo does 475 watts not counting the subwoofer wattage. The Pioneer also doesn't have BT built in or WiFi built.

Upon research they use the same DSP chip that is giving Onkyos headache (Texas Instrument Arues RI) so be wary. I seen some reports from AVforums UK about this occurring... sssh!!When it comes to AV receivers- they all have potentials to be problematic; I go with the support aspect of it. I'd hate to be one of those guys who are so upset they search and hunt and post about the receivers that don't have. So far- I can give honest opinions on Marantz, Onkyo, HK, Pioneer, and Sony/ Yamaha-

Thank you very much Stu!

leftturney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leftturney
drakar2007 wrote:Were your models this one (the 626) or a previous model line, though? Onkyo is apparently aware of both heat and HDMI board issues in previous model lines, and has taken steps to remedy those issues in newer releases. FWIW I have one of these units from a few WOOTs ago and it only gets a little warm after being left on constantly, unlike my old 606 which got hot and had a blown HDMI board.

I had the 607 and it was definitely hot and also had the HDMI blow out on it last month, 2.5 years old. That was my first Onkyo experience ever and probably the last. I've always used Denons or Yamahas and I didn't really have a big budget to buy another last month so I bought a cheaper Yamaha and have not looked back. Next time that I go for a big boy receiver it will be another Denon or Yamaha, IMO the extra cost is worth it in the end.

onkyousa

drakar2007 wrote:If nobody beat me to it, I can confirm on this one for you.

Thanks drakar2007 for the assist!! Sorry I missed that one...

- Onkyo Product Support

onkyousa

Noxide wrote:Thank you very much Stu!

Good and concise testimonial Stu; how are those NR 626s holding up for you Stu?

- Onkyo Product Support

stugoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stugoldstein
onkyousa wrote:Good and concise testimonial Stu; how are those NR 626s holding up for you Stu?

- Onkyo Product Support

My My My... Mr or Ms. Onkyo has acknowledged me!! I'm honored- these babies are working perfectly. As long as your offers of support hold up for me if needed- I am a happy customer for life. At least you will own up to your issues- like I said last time- i'm still waiting on Denon to state they are having the same HDMI issues as you are. No update. Guess the people in hell will not have an ice cold drink until then :D

stugoldstein

leftturney wrote:I had the 607 and it was definitely hot and also had the HDMI blow out on it last month, 2.5 years old. That was my first Onkyo experience ever and probably the last. I've always used Denons or Yamahas and I didn't really have a big budget to buy another last month so I bought a cheaper Yamaha and have not looked back. Next time that I go for a big boy receiver it will be another Denon or Yamaha, IMO the extra cost is worth it in the end.

My my my.. that mikeS123 guy didn't state that this is common with AV receivers- as a study showed even xBox and Sony Playstation consoles "pollute" the home network. So his initial claim is very misleading.

But you had to think about it; if Onkyo is accused- why not the other receivers? Well they do too- but reading that Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 consoles also operate in the same manner. I said it once and I will say it again; what happened to the days where your AV receiver wouldn't provide so many issues and concerns?

stugoldstein

ndaipori wrote:In the spec section it says the following:
Component Video Upconversion - (no)
Analog To HDMI Upconversion ✓ (from 480i/576i)

That's pretty clear that Component to HDMI is not an option here.

I'm so confused - the website says one thing and the manual says another- o me o my what to believe!!

onkyousa

audichopper wrote:Just forwarded the emails, thanks.

Happy to report some great news for you. As I can't publicly say so (nor can you lol)- please review your email and congrats on your new receiver!!

See- results.

If you experience any hiccups- please contact me back at askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com and i will make things right. Thank you again for your choice in Onkyo.

blackbox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blackbox

Can you confirm that bluetooth support is A2DP, and that AptX is not included?

onkyousa

blackbox wrote:Can you confirm that bluetooth support is A2DP, and that AptX is not included?

As shown on page 92 of the owner's manual for the TX-NR 626:

Bluetooth section:

Communication System: Bluetooth specification version 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

Compatible Bluetooth profiles: AD2P (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)

Supported Codecs: SBC

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your Onkyo product, as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

drakar2007

stugoldstein wrote:I'm so confused - the website says one thing and the manual says another- o me o my what to believe!!

There's a technicality that is probably partly to blame. The onkyo will upconvert analog (component or rca) sources to output through HDMI, but *ONLY* for inputs up to 480i. For instance, if I switch my wii over to 480p, the picture craps out. 480i is sufficient in this case luckily (though the upconversion to HDMI could, IMHO, look a little smoother - a future firmware tweak maybe?)

For component cables the issue you'll run into is that, anymore you're likely to be trying to push HD signal through them - either 720p or 1080i (last I heard, they can't do 1080p, but no matter) - The 626 wouldn't be able to cross-convert this to HDMI unfortunately (though you could use the component-outs on the 626 into your TV, but you'd then also have to manually switch inputs on your TV when you wanted to use component, which just seems WAY less sexy than using the receiver to do ALL the manual labor). It's too bad, but luckily these days HDMI is getting pretty friggin' universal, so not many people should still have this issue.

soccergeek24

onkyousa wrote:Does you Apple TV only have a HDMI and digital optical output and no accompanying COMPOSITE ANALOG output as well?

I have Gen 3 Apple TV (HDMI and Optical out). I only want to deal with one cable going from apple tv to receiver as my experience is having multiple cables coming from Apple TV causes issues with piping out sound/video properly.

onkyousa wrote: I ask because they are Digital to analog converters on the market that can be used for Apple TV customers to play their device thru ZONE 2: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_31?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=optical+to+analog+rca+converter&sprefix=optical+to+analog+rca+converter.

That's great, but it would be less work for me to buy a second Apple TV. If I am going to do that, I could get a cheaper receiver running solo and save myself $50.

onkyousa wrote:
This would also benefit in providing an analog audio signal and greatly reduce the lag time when broadcasting thru the MAIN zone and ZONE 2.

Lag time isn't a concern for audio. It doesn't matter if the music starts 3 seconds after I press play [EDIT:] for music piping out to zone 2 [/EDIT]. I would be more concerned about Lip Sync distortion when watching a video; however, if i am using 1 hdmi cable from the Apple TV to the receiver, and the receiver is handling Video and Audio to the tv & speakers then that shouldn't be a problem right?

All I want to do is be able to press a button and have sound going from my Apple TV to my patio (zone 2) without having to jerry-rig it. I could use my iphone or ipad (this really makes it sound like I am apple-ized doesn't it...well, I'm NOT) as a remote control over wifi for the Apple TV. If the Onkyo has that capabilities, I am sold. If not, I can get a different model.

(P.S. I would like to say Thank You for the feedback and helpful input. It's nice to have a rep answering the hard questions)

onkyousa

soccergeek24 wrote:Lag time isn't a concern for audio. It doesn't matter if the music starts 3 seconds after I press play. I would be more concerned about Lip Sync distortion when watching a video; however, if i am using 1 hdmi cable from the Apple TV to the receiver, and the receiver is handling Video and Audio to the tv & speakers then that shouldn't be a problem right?

All I want to do is be able to press a button and have sound going from my Apple TV to my patio (zone 2) without having to jerry-rig it. I could use my iphone or ipad (this really makes it sound like I am apple-ized doesn't it...well, I'm NOT) as a remote control over wifi for the Apple TV. If the Onkyo has that capabilities, I am sold. If not, I can get a different model.

(P.S. I would like to say Thank You for the feedback and helpful input. It's nice to have a rep answering the hard questions)

Hello again soccergeek24; you can use the external DAC between your Apple TV and the NR 626 so the analog feed will be used for both listening zones. This will require no more rigging of the connections as you expressed. As the Onkyo Remote2 app has the ability to send audio from your Apple iPad/ iPhone to the receiver- unless the HDMI CEC function is enabled on the AppleTV- the remote app will NOT control the AppleTV. The use of the external DAC is the least expensive and probable format to achieve what you are seeking.

JoxerMighty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoxerMighty

What type of cable/adaptor is needed to use MHL on this receiver with a Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone?
I have a regular adaptor cable from the S4's USB port to an HDMI and USB (for power) connector that works directly to my HDTV's HDMI input port for 1080p video and stereo audio. Would that work the same with the receiver but with multi-channel audio on the HDMI output or is there a better cable without need for USB power connection too?

JoxerMighty

What can the Onkyo smartphone android app control with this receiver compared to using the standard remote control with the TV display?
Can the smartphone with Onkyo app control the receiver remotely via wifi or mobile from a different room than where the receiver is or does it require line-of-sight?

JoxerMighty

With this receiver's dual HDMI outputs, can they both be active displaying the same HD HDMI video source with stereo audio to two different HDTVs at the same time?
Effectively acting like an HDMI splitter?
Does this work in passthru mode too or only when the receiver is fully on, not just standby?

soccergeek24

onkyousa wrote: As the Onkyo Remote2 app has the ability to send audio from your Apple iPad/ iPhone to the receiver-...

Understood.

But this technology uses Bluetooth, correct? This would mean I would stream music at the expense of burning my battery and being withing close proximately versus controlling the Apple TV via WiFi with a larger range.

Ultimately, it appears as though I can't get EVERYTHING I want. But I am very tempted to move forward with purchasing. Just have to run it pass the CFO (aka wife). :-)

drakar2007

JoxerMighty wrote:Can the smartphone with Onkyo app control the receiver remotely via wifi or mobile from a different room than where the receiver is or does it require line-of-sight?

It works purely via wi-fi, no line-of-sight needed. It provides an on-screen status display (which IMHO could be a bit better but is a lot better than nothing), and allows navigation as well as changing settings... also you can pipe to it from your phone via DLNA but I haven't used this much.

onkyousa

soccergeek24 wrote:Understood.

But this technology uses Bluetooth, correct? This would mean I would stream music at the expense of burning my battery and being withing close proximately versus controlling the Apple TV via WiFi with a larger range.

Ultimately, it appears as though I can't get EVERYTHING I want. But I am very tempted to move forward with purchasing. Just have to run it pass the CFO (aka wife). :-)

LOL soccergeek24; don't we all have to get the approval of the CFO LOL.. thanks again for your questions and choice in Onkyo.

onkyousa

drakar2007 wrote:It works purely via wi-fi, no line-of-sight needed. It provides an on-screen status display (which IMHO could be a bit better but is a lot better than nothing), and allows navigation as well as changing settings... also you can pipe to it from your phone via DLNA but I haven't used this much.

Another point goes to you- good answer!!

onkyousa

JoxerMighty wrote:What type of cable/adaptor is needed to use MHL on this receiver with a Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone?
I have a regular adaptor cable from the S4's USB port to an HDMI and USB (for power) connector that works directly to my HDTV's HDMI input port for 1080p video and stereo audio. Would that work the same with the receiver but with multi-channel audio on the HDMI output or is there a better cable without need for USB power connection too?

Hello JoxerMighty; I personally use the following MHL adapter from Samsung after some research and exchanges until I got the correct one: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung--H10FAUWESTA-Micro-Adapter-Galaxy/dp/B00CBSDS9Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1401399764&sr=1-2&keywords=galaxy+s4+mhl+adapter.

If your MHL adapter utilizes 11 pins- it may not work with the Galaxy s4- as I found out myself.

narahari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages narahari

I have an Onkyo receiver that was barely used over last year - horrible UX for setup and the first time I tried to use it with full speakers and a powered subwoofer, it failed. No sound output from it. I called Onkyo support and after having me do factory reset, he concluded its bad and asked me if I would be interested in a trade-in.

Guys, receivers are supposed to last much longer.

Would not touch an Onkyo product with a 20 ft pole at this point. Going with an Yamaha instead.

davevpi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davevpi
onkyousa wrote:Hello davevpi; if you do so happen to research mikeS statement on our forum and Amazon posting- we already resolved his issue via firmware and his issue is NOT to be confused with what you are reporting. He is not happy that we are not within his specifications for DLNA configuration; although we are within DLNA's certification. We would like to obtain some more information on your issue to better assess the cause and explain better to you.

Please provide your information and description for further review to askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com and our technical representatives will research and gather information from our field svc centers to determine if this is a reoccurring issue that requires further evaluation.

Okay, thanks for the info. It's highly probable that the receiver has nothing whatsoever to do with the problem and I want to narrow down other things before troubling Onkyo support with it.

Verizon has sent me a new router to try out and see if the problem goes away so I'm going to give that a couple of months and see if it happens again. If it does, then I'll try turning off Onkyo or connecting my Apple TV via a cat 5 cable instead of wireless.

Overall, I'm indescribably happy with my receiver. The sound quality is phenomenal - it's a night+day difference from what I had before. The setup does a great job of getting the sound perfect ... the remote works for my cable box and TV ... everything is great. The few gripes I have:

1. As others have said, it's really very hot. I used to have a few other devices sitting right on top of my old receiver. That's no longer possible. I'm not saying it's anything bad with this receiver in particular - I recognize that's going to be the case with any modern receiver ... more processing going on = more hear.

2. You can't get to bluetooth with just the remote - you have to either use the mobile app or turn on your TV and navigate through the menu. It would be nice to be able to quickly play music without having to turn on the TV or use the app to get to the bluetooth mode, but I've gotten so I just use my Apple TV to play music anyway, so it doesn't matter.

3. I don't know if what I really want even exists, but what would be really, really cool is if I could have something show the video from zone 2. I love football and during football season, it would be nice to be able to have the little side TV show a second game ... I'd love to be able to have ESPN3 from my Apple TV show there and my cable box show on the main TV, or vice versa. (Again, I recognize that this may not exist anywhere.)

4. I wish it were about 2 inches less deep. It just barely doesn't fit in my cabinet. I did a bad job of measuring before I ordered I guess. I'm probably just going to take the doors off since it needs to breathe anyway.

13 woots since 2012 totaling $887.91

onkyousa

JoxerMighty wrote:What can the Onkyo smartphone android app control with this receiver compared to using the standard remote control with the TV display?
Can the smartphone with Onkyo app control the receiver remotely via wifi or mobile from a different room than where the receiver is or does it require line-of-sight?

JoxerMighty; the Onkyo Remote2 app can act as a suitable substitute for the included IR remote provided with your receiver. As Drakar2007 mentioned; it operates via WiFi and doesn't require a clean line-of-sight for operation. I am providing our YouTube tutorial on the Remote2 app to better assist you. As always if you have any further questions- we are always here to assist.

Thank you again for choosing Onkyo.

abjonesma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abjonesma

I believe that I read that the (last chosen) signal HDMI willpass through when the unit is turned off. Is that right? Secondly, can this receiver also play an audio source while showing the video source of my choosing? That would be handy. Thanks!

onkyousa

JoxerMighty wrote:With this receiver's dual HDMI outputs, can they both be active displaying the same HD HDMI video source with stereo audio to two different HDTVs at the same time?
Effectively acting like an HDMI splitter?
Does this work in passthru mode too or only when the receiver is fully on, not just standby?

Hello JoxerMighty; to answer this question- the dual HDMI outputs will broadcast the SAME video and stereo audio thru both outputs simultaneously. This receiver will also provide HDMI Pass Thru; but is ONLY available thru the HDMI MAIN output terminal and NOT HDMI SUB.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your Onkyo product, as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

stugoldstein

narahari wrote:I have an Onkyo receiver that was barely used over last year - horrible UX for setup and the first time I tried to use it with full speakers and a powered subwoofer, it failed. No sound output from it. I called Onkyo support and after having me do factory reset, he concluded its bad and asked me if I would be interested in a trade-in.

Guys, receivers are supposed to last much longer.

Would not touch an Onkyo product with a 20 ft pole at this point. Going with an Yamaha instead.

LOL. Is Yamaha cruising this forum today? Hmmmm no one is mentioning Denon or Pioneer - the better AV units. You must like bad quality if you going to Yamaha- they make great pianos and home generators- but AV receivers- no way!!

I will agree that they are quick to offer trade-ins instead of troubleshooting and only the online people will troubleshoot. Especially when you call at night- they quick to rush you off the phone. I just rather talk to the forum guys because they seem more focused than the phone reps.

onkyousa

abjonesma wrote:I believe that I read that the (last chosen) signal HDMI willpass through when the unit is turned off. Is that right? Secondly, can this receiver also play an audio source while showing the video source of my choosing? That would be handy. Thanks!

Hello abjonesma, this is Onkyo USA's Product Support department and we'd like to provide the correct answer for this question. While you can now send the 2 channel audio signal for either the HDMI MAIN or HDMI SUB connected TVs via the AUDIO TV OUT options; HDMI THRU is only specified for the HDMI MAIN input.

onkyousa

stugoldstein wrote:LOL. Is Yamaha cruising this forum today? Hmmmm no one is mentioning Denon or Pioneer - the better AV units. You must like bad quality if you going to Yamaha- they make great pianos and home generators- but AV receivers- no way!!

I will agree that they are quick to offer trade-ins instead of troubleshooting and only the online people will troubleshoot. Especially when you call at night- they quick to rush you off the phone. I just rather talk to the forum guys because they seem more focused than the phone reps.

Hello again Stu; I would like to further research your reported issue with the level of customer support and bring this to the attention of the proper supervisors. I will need some information and assistance from you and anyone also attesting to this issue to please send an email to askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com for prompt review and correspondence from the Product Support Manager. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for choosing Onkyo.

Texasarrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Texasarrow

I have owned this unit for a couple years and it has always worked flawlessly. My only complaint is I have to keep a small flashlight nearby to see the selection buttons (TV, FM, Net, etc.).
'hope no one now advises there's an on/off switch that backlights the selection buttons...

onkyousa

Texasarrow wrote:I have owned this unit for a couple years and it has always worked flawlessly. My only complaint is I have to keep a small flashlight nearby to see the selection buttons (TV, FM, Net, etc.).
'hope no one now advises there's an on/off switch that backlights the selection buttons...

Hello Texasarrow; what is the actual model number of the receiver you currently own? As if your receiver is an TX-NR receiver and is currently connected to your home internet network- you can easily use the Onkyo Remote2 app (found in the Apple App store or Google Play store) on your smartphone or iPad/ Google tablet/ Kindle tablet to operate the receiver and view the selection changes as well.

fraamus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fraamus

While I just ordered this amp I did research the HDMI failure issue. These seem to all be related to earlier models and most believed they were caused by the high power that kept the HDMI passthrough active even when powered down using up to 75W. This model and all after 2012 use "Hybrid Standby Power-Saving Mode" which I am told uses 3W to 5W. Of course you can disable all power and have no passthough if your using a switching power conditioner. So in all fairness to Onkyo it seems they have it figured out.

JoxerMighty

onkyousa wrote:Hello JoxerMighty; I personally use the following MHL adapter from Samsung after some research and exchanges until I got the correct one: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung--H10FAUWESTA-Micro-Adapter-Galaxy/dp/B00CBSDS9Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1401399764&sr=1-2&keywords=galaxy+s4+mhl+adapter.

If your MHL adapter utilizes 11 pins- it may not work with the Galaxy s4- as I found out myself.

yeah thats just the standard Samsung adaptor to an HDMI output. I have one similar to that one that works to connect directly to an HDTV's HDMI input.
But that doesn't require a special "MHL" HDMI input port that this Onkyo receiver has. What would be used to get extra MHL features via the Onkyo MHL HDMI input port compared to regular HDMI with the Samsung adaptor? What extra features should be available with Onkyo MHL input compared to standard HDMI input?

JoxerMighty

I've had good luck with my previous home theater receivers. My first one was an Onkyo stereo receiver purchased back in 1987. I upgraded to a 5.1 Denon receiver in 2002 and moved the Onkyo to use with my desktop computer with a pair of bookshelf speakers. The Onkyo worked fine in that capacity until a few months ago when the power supply smoked and died - after working for over 25 years!
Since I didn't need a full receiver for the computer I replaced that with a cheap small Lepai stereo amplifier.
My Denon 5.1 receiver is still working fine (12 years old now) but it lacks HDMI ports, networking features, etc. so I am considering upgrading to this Onkyo receiver model now. I just don't know what do do with the still working fine Denon receiver!

onkyousa

fraamus wrote:While I just ordered this amp I did research the HDMI failure issue. These seem to all be related to earlier models and most believed they were caused by the high power that kept the HDMI passthrough active even when powered down using up to 75W. This model and all after 2012 use "Hybrid Standby Power-Saving Mode" which I am told uses 3W to 5W. Of course you can disable all power and have no passthough if your using a switching power conditioner. So in all fairness to Onkyo it seems they have it figured out.

Hello fraamus; thank you for your posting and commentary- as you have also provided an independent and concise analysis for others to review and consider. We also thank you for your purchase and your choice in Onkyo as well; as you have made an excellent choice in your new AV receiver.