willnott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willnott
regassert wrote:A 250MB/month plan with ATT is $14.99 a month so I fail to see how T-Mobile's 200MB/month for Free is "worthless."

NOTE, I said "ALMOST" worthless, due to OP implicating that much would cost the same as the device.... AND, for ME, there is no cost to get 300 MB... YMMV

natevo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natevo
robbieglen wrote:We got three of the C-210 Chromebooks f grand kids for Christmas - they play Minecraft and watch YouTube All the time with. No problem or special adjustment to the Chromebook. As long as you have internet connection, this is the best computer for kids, simple to operate, reliable.

Just to be clear, you can't play Minecraft on this machine. As a previous poster pointed out, it requires Java which does not run on Chromebooks. Even if it did, they are not really powerful enough to run it. Chromebooks are great for internet browsing, watching videos, etc. Not so great for playing standalone games.

MattAlbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MattAlbar
blackac wrote:To anyone with knowledge about the current market of Chromebooks: Is this the best bang for the buck chromebook out now? I've been lurking for a while now, but don't know much about what other chromebooks are out there. For the screen size, memory, and disk space, this seems to be a great deal.

Thoughts?

What about this vs. the Acer C720P?

I've been looking at Chromebooks for a while. I was set on the Acer C720 (no need for a touch screen) but if you can wait a few months, newer models with more powerful CPUs and a fanless model will come out, and prices of this generation of Chromebooks will likely go down. I'm personally waiting to see the newer ones, get one with a decent CPU and maybe buy a bigger SSD and load Linux on it and still keep ChromeOS.Just a thought.

This is a great deal if you desperately need a Chromebook now, or of you like the Acer model (I would get the Acer if I had to get one right now) go for that one. But I'd you can wait, DO IT.

HammyDavisJr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HammyDavisJr

If you are already a T-Mobile customer, can this device be linked to your account so you can use it with your existing unlimited data plan on T-Mobile?

Savor the Brimstone.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just to clarify:

To get the free 200MB, you need to use T-Mobile. However this is a HSPA+ device so it should work with other HSPA+ carriers but you will have to pay for the data plan.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

paulw1128

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paulw1128

Will this ship in the HP box, or inside a plain shipping box? Want to buy it as a birthday present and also concerned about it being left on our front stoop...

wait - I did a quality post? When?!?

ThunderThighs

Staff

paulw1128 wrote:Will this ship in the HP box, or inside a plain shipping box? Want to buy it as a birthday present and also concerned about it being left on our front stoop...

Most likely a brown box but I do not have a way of verifying that or that it won't say something on the outside. Can you ship it to your workplace?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

manpanda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manpanda

I have used one of these and they don't seem to get very warm but they do have fans that need to run all the time. It would probably be a bad idea to sit this on a blanket which would block the air flow. I don't know anything about the mobile data connection but these cannot run iTunes, they have no bloatware because software is in the form of webapps, but I was able to connect a 1TB external hard drive to one and play music and videos from it. Not sure what formats are supported though so you might want to do further research.

jimmer2007 wrote:Ok. Several questions. Sorry.

1. Does it overheat? I want something I can actually set on my lap, even with a blanket.

2. Can the 200 mb be upgraded to say, a paid plan with a tad more? I am a Tupperware Consultant and this would be super for on-site order entry if I don't burn through 100 mg per party.

3. iTunes capable?

4. What happens after 2 years of data? Can I re-purchase, etc?

5. Ease of use with external hard drives/USB/flash data storage, specifically music and photos? Anything similar to a media player at all?

6. How much bloatware?

Sorry for the massive influx of queries!

angelofchaos99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages angelofchaos99

I'm not sure how this is better than a netbook running another one of the more user-friendly Linux distros.

All the browser-based functions of a Chromebook could be performed on a typical Linux machine, plus it can run native Linux apps (and Windows apps w/ Wine). There are also the privacy concerns of an OS that depends so strongly on the cloud.

Not trying to be sarcastic. Please fill me in. How is this deal advantageous compared with a (non-Chrome OS) Linux netbook w/ Freedompop internet?

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid
russdog wrote:The CNET review is for an old less-good model.

This one has the current cpu so it's faster, plus 4gb ram instead of 2gb (so it's better at handling a bunch of open tabs), plus it's got a couple USB 3.0 ports, plus it's got way better battery life, plus it's got a 32gb ssd instead of a 16gb ssd.

This means it's better (IMO) than the LTE version now offered new (which has only 16gb).

The only thing you miss with this one (or any refurb) is the free 2 years of 100gb Google Drive.

ps: Not sure, but I think if you buy a new one, sign up for the free Google storage, then return it, you keep the free Google storage and whoever buys it next doesn't get it. (I could be wrong about this, so don't count on it.)

In fact, I bought a refurbed Samsung Chromebook here and did receive the 100GB upgrade regardless. I have no idea why and only say this to remind buyers to make no assumptions. (For that matter, I also received all of the free in-flight Wi-Fi vouchers. Any individual buyer may or may not.)

For that matter, now that T-Mobile is being acquired by Sprint (making me very unhappy), any free data plan may or may not exist once the acquisition is complete. *shrug*

vpierce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vpierce
vpierce wrote:I want to replace an old Win XP laptop that my kids use to access certain school related sites, e.g. www.i-ready.com. The site supports the Chrome browser however for the browser settings, it also needs:
javascrapt must be enabled.
Cookies must be enabled.
Pop-up must be allowed for cainc.i-ready.com for teacher reports
In addition, it also needs Adobe Flash Player 10.2.x thru 11.3.x
I'll admit that I haven't tried Chrome and I could install it but I don't know if I'd get an accurate test using Chrome from a Win 7 machine.
Can anyone confirm if these requirements can be meet on a Chromebook? Thanks in advance.

I ordered one so If it doesn't work, I guess I'll be selling it.

spectralguy55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spectralguy55
queenangelfish wrote:But with only 200mb per MONTH, I'd use that up in a couple of days. So the question is, how much do you pay for more 4G use?

And, you are in the Cloud for good, which I do not see as a good thing. Once your data is in the Cloud, you lose a number of legal protections, and if you don't have access for any reason, such as denial of service attacks, expended data quota, power-outages at the storage site ... any reason whatsoever, you don't have access to your data. In a very real sense, once you commit data to the Cloud, it isn't your data anymore.

natevo

blackac wrote:To anyone with knowledge about the current market of Chromebooks: Is this the best bang for the buck chromebook out now? I've been lurking for a while now, but don't know much about what other chromebooks are out there. For the screen size, memory, and disk space, this seems to be a great deal.

Thoughts?

What about this vs. the Acer C720P?

Here's the thing. I had the C720. This is a better machine in almost every way. Hands down.

The battery lasts longer.
It has 4GB of memory. Let me say that again, it has 4GB of memory. This makes a BIG difference in performance. (C720 can be configured with 4GB but it costs $399 fwiw)
The screen is larger. C720 has something like 130 ppi this one has 114ppi. You won't notice this difference.
The keyboard and trackpad are nicer (in my opinion)
This one has an cell radio (data plan).
The speakers are about the same.
I like the feel of the HP better. It has a sort of matte finish that is much more pleasant to hold than the shiny plastic of the C720 (again, my opinion).
It is cheaper! (if this matters to you).

The only machine that is really better than this one, pragmatically, is the Samsung Chromebook 2. It is really only better by virtue of its 1920x1080 screen. And the screen has received mixed reviews for bad viewing angles. Pretty much it is the same quality screen with higher resolution. Mostly just a drain on the battery IMHO.

The processor is not noticeably faster and it has the same 4GB of RAM.

wellrested

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wellrested

Ok, pulled the trigger. Have been looking at a Dell Chrombook 11; I want to be able to run Linux just to play Minecraft. Quick look says this MIGHT be possible on this machine, but it won't kill me if not... if anyone has any good info on this, feel free to share... I know it's possible on the Dell 11, but there's a lot of mixed info on this one due to variations in processors, etc...

kmueller99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmueller99

Just bought the featured Chromebook...When did Woot start charging sales tax?

lakatamia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lakatamia

I'm putting my $220 on California Chrome this Saturday! Hoping to win so I can buy a real computer #triplecrownwinner.

grykajos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grykajos

From this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/free-mobility/overview.html
"*** NOTE: some product box materials may not be updated with lifetime information due to the timing of the upgrade; however all devices with the HP/T-Mobile 4G program have been upgraded to lifetime."
The language around all devices with the 4g program make me think that this one is included. Still a gamble, but maybe worth it.

natevo

wellrested wrote:Ok, pulled the trigger. Have been looking at a Dell Chrombook 11; I want to be able to run Linux just to play Minecraft. Quick look says this MIGHT be possible on this machine, but it won't kill me if not... if anyone has any good info on this, feel free to share... I know it's possible on the Dell 11, but there's a lot of mixed info on this one due to variations in processors, etc...

Even if you did manage to put a Linux distro on a Chromebook, I don't think it would run Minecraft very well. Running Minecraft on under powered machines has been a laggy and overall unpleasant experience for me. Java is not that great at efficient graphics (Notch has acknowledged this recently) and it barely runs on integrated HD4000 graphics. I haven't actually tried it on a Chromebook with Linux but I would guess you will be disappointed.

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017

Thanks for answering so many questions. I have some of my own:

What's the deal with the SSD drives on chromeboooks? Can these be changed out and upgraded?

Also, I have a portable, external Blu Ray player. Can these chromebooks play HD video?

I have a Toshiba NB255-250 netbook with an Intel Atom processor that a new machine would replace. Would this HP do the trick?

tehsloth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tehsloth

Does anyone know if there's a decent RDP app for chrome OS and if not will I be able to use the data plan if I manage to wipe it and put on something else that does? I work on-call remotely a lot and typically I keep an ipad with me in case something comes up although I don't have a data plan because of how rare it is to be somewhere without wifi. At this price for a couple years I think it would be worth it as a just in case type thing but only if I can actually use it to remote into work and I don't want to have to set up some proprietary chrome remote desktop software on all the hosts I might use.

alaska0198

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alaska0198

I have 2 questions which I hope somebody can answer quickly, before I trigger the buy button.

1. Can this Chromebook act as a hotspot for my other devices needing internet connection?

2. Does lifetime (free 4G) mean life of the Chromebook (only for as long as the computer works)?

TIA!

natevo

cage017 wrote:Thanks for answering so many questions. I have some of my own:

What's the deal with the SSD drives on chromeboooks? Can these be changed out and upgraded?

Also, I have a portable, external Blu Ray player. Can these chromebooks play HD video?

I have a Toshiba NB255-250 netbook with an Intel Atom processor that a new machine would replace. Would this HP do the trick?

The SSD is not designed to be user upgradeable. In most chromebooks, I haven't checked this specific one, they are actually soldered to the motherboard.

As far as Blueray goes, the short answer is no. Chromebooks don't support external optical drives. However, there's an interesting process to watch your Blu-ray movies, but it will cost you $2 per movie to convert Blu-ray to HD digital, $5 to convert a standard DVD to HD digital, and you get a 50% discount for converting 10 or more at once.
Details are at http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html
Once you're done you can stream them to your Chromebook.

Note that if you buy a Blu-ray that comes with an UltraViolet digital copy you can put that into Vudu as well, for free.

I think this could very easily replace a netbook.

natevo

tehsloth wrote:Does anyone know if there's a decent RDP app for chrome OS and if not will I be able to use the data plan if I manage to wipe it and put on something else that does? I work on-call remotely a lot and typically I keep an ipad with me in case something comes up although I don't have a data plan because of how rare it is to be somewhere without wifi. At this price for a couple years I think it would be worth it as a just in case type thing but only if I can actually use it to remote into work and I don't want to have to set up some proprietary chrome remote desktop software on all the hosts I might use.

If you're using something like VNC which allows you to remote in through a web address that would work. But there are no stand alone RDP products that work on Chromebooks except Chrome Remote Desktop.

Theoretically, if whatever you install on it has a driver for the cell hardware, it should work. But I would be very surprised if you actually got it to work.

billlh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billlh

Ok not sure if this has been answered elsewhere but the area I'm in I only have 2g coverage. Will it still work, except slower?

captaindonald

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captaindonald
wollern wrote:It almost seems that the data plan alone is worth the c.$200. What am I missing?

The "free" data is only 200mb, that is tiny!!! the data plan is basically useless unless you pay extra, this is misleading and kind of a bait and switch I'd give it a miss.

ThunderThighs

Staff

kmueller99 wrote:Just bought the featured Chromebook...When did Woot start charging sales tax?

Woot is now required to collect sales tax for orders shipped to AZ, CA, CT, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, MA, NC, NJ, NV, NY, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, and WV.

natevo

billlh wrote:Ok not sure if this has been answered elsewhere but the area I'm in I only have 2g coverage. Will it still work, except slower?

Yes, it will.

jdm1986

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdm1986

Does anyone have pricing information for data beyond the 200MB/month?

natevo

jdm1986 wrote:Does anyone have pricing information for data beyond the 200MB/month?

Per T-mobile's site:

1GB - $10
3GB - $20
5GB - $30
7GB - $50
9GB - $60
11GB - $70

These are all month to month with no contract. Also, there are taxes and fees, not sure how much.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/mobile-internet.html

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
natevo wrote:Per T-mobile's site:

1GB - $10
3GB - $20
5GB - $30
7GB - $50
9GB - $60
11GB - $70

These are all month to month with no contract. Also, there are taxes and fees, not sure how much.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/mobile-internet.html

are these considered tablets where I can bring it into tmobile and get free 200MB/month for life?

lwang

HammyDavisJr wrote:If you are already a T-Mobile customer, can this device be linked to your account so you can use it with your existing unlimited data plan on T-Mobile?

since when did tmobile have a shared data plan? what is probably an easier option is to use your phone as a hotspot and connect your chromebook to that AP

lwang

ThunderThighs wrote:Woot is now required to collect sales tax for orders shipped to AZ, CA, CT, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, MA, NC, NJ, NV, NY, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, and WV.

Running out of states to move to.

joeysnan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeysnan
grykajos wrote:From this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/free-mobility/overview.html
"*** NOTE: some product box materials may not be updated with lifetime information due to the timing of the upgrade; however all devices with the HP/T-Mobile 4G program have been upgraded to lifetime."
The language around all devices with the 4g program make me think that this one is included. Still a gamble, but maybe worth it.

According to Costco, this model number gets free 3G for life.
http://goo.gl/wzZSh5

joeysnan

natevo wrote:The SSD is not designed to be user upgradeable. In most chromebooks, I haven't checked this specific one, they are actually soldered to the motherboard.

As far as Blueray goes, the short answer is no. Chromebooks don't support external optical drives. However, there's an interesting process to watch your Blu-ray movies, but it will cost you $2 per movie to convert Blu-ray to HD digital, $5 to convert a standard DVD to HD digital, and you get a 50% discount for converting 10 or more at once.
Details are at http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html
Once you're done you can stream them to your Chromebook.

Note that if you buy a Blu-ray that comes with an UltraViolet digital copy you can put that into Vudu as well, for free.

I think this could very easily replace a netbook.

My Acer C720P supports my external DVD drive. I don't know about Blu Ray drives though.

Woody1

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Woody1

There is so much BAD information in this discussion that I suggest people start calling T-Mobile @ 800-866-2453 option, 1, 2, 1, 2 and get the truth.

BTW they have a promo til the end of the year for existing customers (which I am not for $10 off data plans, so 1Gb is free until the end of the year) They do credit checks, they will throttle you back to the 2G network, not 3G to avoid overages, they will send you a data only SIM for a penny, HSPA+ is NOT, repeat NOT, LTE (close, but repeating NOT)

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square

joeysnan

WLAURENT wrote:Pretty sure that is an SD card slot next to the ?USB port and not a SIM card slot.

I could not find anything online about where you can change the SIM.

That slot next to USB is an SD card slot, but there should be a SIM slot further forward on the same side. It shows at the Costco site http://goo.gl/wzZSh5 and in the Users Guide available here http://goo.gl/dduSna

Woody1

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Woody1
WLAURENT wrote:Pretty sure that is an SD card slot next to the ?USB port and not a SIM card slot.

I could not find anything online about where you can change the SIM.

The HP Chromebook 14 comes with a regular SIM card from T-Mobile. However there are 3 sizes of SIMs. For AT&T you will need the smaller SIM

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square

peggyrh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peggyrh

Just bought the 2GB version of this without the T-Mobile for $179 (great deal, might as well be new). Use it every day, runs beautifully, can open at least 10 tabs at once, fantastic battery life. This is great deal as WalMart sells same recertified Chromebook for $238. I also have Samsung 11.6" version, love the bigger screen on this & it's much faster.

laart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laart
regassert wrote:And I have T-Mobile LTE on my iPad here in Baltimore and it is faster than Verizon's LTE here. It may suck where you are, but people need to assess that on their own. 2014 T-Mobile is a legit player. I feel like you're making your comment based on 2009 T-Mobile.

This chromebook is 4G, NOT LTE.

wellrested

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wellrested
natevo wrote:Even if you did manage to put a Linux distro on a Chromebook, I don't think it would run Minecraft very well. Running Minecraft on under powered machines has been a laggy and overall unpleasant experience for me. Java is not that great at efficient graphics (Notch has acknowledged this recently) and it barely runs on integrated HD4000 graphics. I haven't actually tried it on a Chromebook with Linux but I would guess you will be disappointed.

Thanks, Natevo. That was my impression; that it runs on the HD 4400, though not well. I'll see what I can get out of it; that said, a few months of saving will set me up with a desktop for a few hundred that will run it to my heart's content... Still, I'm fairly stoked; this seems like a killer deal vs. the Dell 11, which would take more than a month to arrive, for $80 more, and would not include the 4G option.