ubermick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ubermick
filmbuffsforum wrote:Can anybody comment on the difference between getting a Magic Jack vs. an Ooma? I would just want basic service (make calls and get caller ID - I don't use voice mail or any of the other options). Magic Jack seems like it can do the same thing but cheaper one time fee. Any help in making a decision would be greatly appreciated.

This might help:
http://michaelbluejay.com/consumer/phone.html

He recommends Vonage, but I disagree.

If you're using your phone primarily for US calls, then Ooma wins hands down. Even if you're calling internationally occasionally, Ooma will still be a lot cheaper (and better quality, by all accounts)

bookerttt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bookerttt

On the fence here. Have phone through cable company for $20 a month. Includes all ( or almost all) of the Premier Ooma account features. I would want to have Caller ID with names so that's $10 a month. Does the $10 a month include all fees or are the taxes another roughly $4 a month? If it's $14 a month ( $10 + $4), I'd only be saving $6 a month. I'm ok with paying $6 more a month to see the caller ID show up on my TV, and also if something goes wrong or unit goes bad, it's no out of pocket for me. If it's $10 total... I may make the change.

BobLeBlanc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobLeBlanc

Ooma is the best. I could not recommend a product any more highly than this. I've had mine for over 4 years and couldn't be happier.

whosgotmyusername

quality posts: 4 Private Messages whosgotmyusername
i24u wrote:I loved my ooma. Yes I said Loved. Mine did finally die this past weekend after 3 1/2 years as a refurbished unit from woot. Thankfully it was on Saturday and have a new one coming for $99 from ooma.

How long has your ooma lasted? I will never have anything else ooma is well worth it.

I believe I got mine when you did - refurb from WOOT about 3.5 years ago. Still works great.

wut we have here is FAILURE to communicate!

ca92807

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ca92807

I’ve got my Tolo from Woot about 3 years ago and have been very happy. There have been 2 or 3 service outages that I recall during that time, but that’s less than my AT&T line that we still have. Both the AT&T line and Ooma are connected to a 2-line AT&T model 992 phone. As soon as I connected the Ooma, both lines had a noticeable hum that was annoying. My solution is to use a shielded Ethernet cable and plug the Ooma into a switch with a 3-wire grounded plug.

I also had some outbound voice quality problems at first. It was fine if the Ooma was between the DSL Modem and router but that gave me problems with outside access to my home server. Adding the Ooma’s MAC to my router’s VOIP QoS table solved the problem and the Tolo is behind the router now. Some routers can set QoS based on the port the Ooma is attached. Now that I have much faster cable internet service it’s not an issue. Many times people comment how good the call sounds.

Last year I added Premier Service and got a free Linx with my subscription that gave me a second line and number. The Linx wirelessly connects to the Tolo and it’s output goes to an unused phone pair of our wiring. Now every phone jack can access the AT&T line or use the Ooma line for long distance.

bookerttt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bookerttt

What's the total cost for Premier service? Is it $10 including all taxes or is it $10 + roughly $4 in taxes? Thanks!

mrglenasmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrglenasmith
mechanicsc wrote:I have some questions for any AT&T customers out there.

I have AT&T landline ($79/mo!!! I live in a weird area where a call 2 miles away is a long-distance call) and AT&T DSL service. I am interested in dropping the landline but keeping the DSL.

Has anyone in the forum gone through this, and if so are there any pointers/watchouts I need to be on the lookout for?

Is the "porting process" automatic i.e. if I tell ooma to port my AT&T number, does that automatically cut off my landline?

If so, does that leave DSL alone?

I'm concerned about DSL getting dropped because my RDSLAM is full and if my DSL gets cut off, I might not be able to get it back (there's a waiting list to get on it, there are no other broadband options where I live).

I'm not too worried about the DSL increasing in price (it would have to double to hit the $79 I'm paying for landline currently)

Thanks in advance for any help the brain trust can give me on this.

'Kay, I make no representation that I am part of the brain trust!

It's not so weird if you think about it, every 'local' area has to have a boundary between it and the next 'local' area. Usually the phone companies try to do this in rural areas, but there is always someplace that on 1 side of the road is one area code, and on the other is a different one.

In your situation I would call AT&T directly and ask if you can cancel your phone line and keep your DSL. Be sure to get the CS rep's name and even employee number, you might even try calling in on different days and verifying that you get the same answer each time, given the wait list for getting it back. Check at the same time if your DSL cost would go up, and by how much, if you burst your bundle. If possible, get it in an email and keep it.

You can certainly take advantage of today's deal and get the device shipped in. Hook things up and test call quality with a new number. Once all the ducks are aligned properly, only then would you have Ooma begin the porting process.

Given that the Telo purchase price is equal to one months land-line cost, your payback is pretty quick, so taking the risk and pushing the ridiculously large yellow button may be worth it.

Good luck,
Glen

rlhaines

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlhaines

I have an Ooma and also use Google Voice for work. I like using the Ooma and being able to forward my GV to the Ooma too. But I frequently have dropped calls, mostly where I can still hear the caller but they can't hear me. It happens with both GV and the Ooma. I have pretty high speed internet, any suggestions on what is causing this?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I bought a refurb here a few month ago and it is perfect with my DSL system. I did not port a line, just got the one they gave me. I use it for outbound calls, mostly to set up radio interviews, etc. But I now trust it enough to hook up a mic system and use it for the actual interviews. Saves me a TON of money.

Do NOT buy a Magic Jack, as they in NO WAY compare with the quality of service this unit provides.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
jcdinkins wrote:Power supply has burned out twice. Not buying another one as they are half the price of a refurb ooma. Not sure why these things have the propensity to burn out their power supplies but it happens too much. Read other comments from past woots about the same thing. Buyer beware.

I wonder if the problem is in your wiring? Power surges, etc? I don't see a lot of the same problems you are having.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
mechanicsc wrote:I have some questions for any AT&T customers out there.

I have AT&T landline ($79/mo!!! I live in a weird area where a call 2 miles away is a long-distance call) and AT&T DSL service. I am interested in dropping the landline but keeping the DSL.

Has anyone in the forum gone through this, and if so are there any pointers/watchouts I need to be on the lookout for?

Is the "porting process" automatic i.e. if I tell ooma to port my AT&T number, does that automatically cut off my landline?

If so, does that leave DSL alone?

I'm concerned about DSL getting dropped because my RDSLAM is full and if my DSL gets cut off, I might not be able to get it back (there's a waiting list to get on it, there are no other broadband options where I live).

I'm not too worried about the DSL increasing in price (it would have to double to hit the $79 I'm paying for landline currently)

Thanks in advance for any help the brain trust can give me on this.

@mechanicsc, from a prior Woot Ooma sale - about DSL concerns: (Whenever you talk to AT&T or any provider, confirm that they are carefully noting what they promise in your file. Also, if you want the most experienced agents, go straight to the "Cancellation" dept.)

DSL technology caution:
Ooma will work fine with DSL, however you need to plan the transition if you are porting over a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) telephone number that is associated with that DSL Internet service.

Telephone companies hang your DSL service on the POTS service. So if you port over the phone number without coordinating it between your phone company and Ooma, your Internet connection gets killed temporarily until the phone company restores it under a new acct ID. Even with coordination (who ever heard of a phone company being coordinated?) you can lose your DSL connection for a short period of time.

So, when you are porting, tell Ooma and call your phone company. It might help to have an online chat with Ooma as well.

Phone companies want to move you from DSL to their digital media services anyway so watch your DSL price ramp up until you move. It happened to us.

http://sellout.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5715773&pageindex=2&replycount=70#post5716482

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bikeboil wrote:What is the warranty and return policy of this refurbished unit? Since it wasn't working right to begin with.

If it's DOA, you can email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service. Sometimes, it's faster to go through Ooma as they may be able to assist you with getting it working or replacing a bad part.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

slushed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slushed

I just ditched comcast and their horrible service. I can't wait for this Ooma to arrive.

I can't even begin to describe how terrible comcast's VoIP solution was/is...

sniffersrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniffersrow
bookerttt wrote:What's the total cost for Premier service? Is it $10 including all taxes or is it $10 + roughly $4 in taxes? Thanks!

$10+$4

wasserkapf

quality posts: 19 Private Messages wasserkapf

Looks like I'm the only one that is posting a negative comment.

I got two of these from woot back in 2011. I have ATT U-verse, and the voice quality is not too good. My side is fine, but it is the caller on the other end that has a problem understanding you. It gets worse if you are using the internet to download or to watch a streaming video.

I got the second one for either of my parents (divorced). They do not want any type of automatic payment, as they see it as insecure.

I will probably toss the unused one.

TeeDub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TeeDub
mrglenasmith wrote:I do wish there was a simple way to turn down the brightness of the blue LED's on the base unit, and I had to move it up on a shelf to keep the cats from dialing and accessing voice-mail (!) but other than that no problems at all.

Actually, there is. If you have the older model with the 3 icons at the top (speaker, light bulb, and antenna), push the middle (light bulb) button and the lights will dim to 3 different levels.

For the record, I love my OOMA.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

@wasserkapf, Pls PM me. ;-) I'd like to intercept that second Ooma from the garbage collector's grasp! We love our Ooma.

Have you attempted to troubleshoot with Ooma support? Do you perhaps have the lowest level bandwidth Uverse Internet package?

wasserkapf wrote:Looks like I'm the only one that is posting a negative comment.

I got two of these from woot back in 2011. I have ATT U-verse, and the voice quality is not too good. My side is fine, but it is the caller on the other end that has a problem understanding you. It gets worse if you are using the internet to download or to watch a streaming video.

I got the second one for either of my parents (divorced). They do not want any type of automatic payment, as they see it as insecure.

I will probably toss the unused one.

dsscheibe

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dsscheibe

I bought this exact model from Woot a couple years ago and about a month ago it died. I had to buy a new one from Ooma. Have mostly been pleased with Ooma, I had Vonage before and they got to be as expensive as the regular phone company. Probably because they spend a fortune on mailing former customers to please come back about every week..

i24u

quality posts: 14 Private Messages i24u

Has anyone ever gotten their ooma to work with a home security system? Just brought a home with a security system. Guy came out and couldn't get it to work. It would connect but not send data.

dmort

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmort

I've owned this device since the last time it showed up here and it does everything exactly as advertised. Setup was pretty easy, it works well with my existing phone, the bill is really low! I have amortized my phone bill with its purchase and now I get home phone for $3.50 or so. Great item!

ksmerritt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksmerritt

One nice thing about the Oooma is that if your power DOES go out, Ooma will forward over to your Cell number as a backup IF you have the premier service. I LOVE MY OOMA. Going on 2 years now.

mrglenasmith wrote:This should be obvious, but I will point it out anyway.

If you are using Ooma (or any other Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP)) service, if the power goes off to your router or the VOIP unit, you no longer have a phone line. Invest in a good battery back up unit that can power your network connection and the VOIP modem.

The Mother-ship has many available, I bought and use an APC BackUPS BR1500G here: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BACK-UPS-10-Outlet-1500VA/dp/B003Y24DEU Be aware that local stores probably have a slightly different version, the BX1500G for around the same price, but this model does not have an input for an extended run battery pack.

ksmerritt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksmerritt

I have Premier and live in SC. You pay 1 year at a time ($120), then the monthly taxes are drafted. SO if you break it down, it is 12 + 3.75 or so taxes/fees = 15-16 per month. You might be able to get a year of service for 99.99 if Ooma will give you a first time deal. I got that for the first year, then it went back the second year.

bookerttt wrote:What's the total cost for Premier service? Is it $10 including all taxes or is it $10 + roughly $4 in taxes? Thanks!

mymorningsong

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mymorningsong

My best Woot purchase in years. $85 + $40 porting fee is now saving me $35+ a month.

love2cruise

quality posts: 6 Private Messages love2cruise

So, I missed this deal and I wanted to buy one. Any chance it's on one of the Woot Plus or Sellout Woots hidden deep in the Woot jungle???

cmcdcwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmcdcwoot
love2cruise wrote:So, I missed this deal and I wanted to buy one. Any chance it's on one of the Woot Plus or Sellout Woots hidden deep in the Woot jungle???

New from staples for 99 bucks pls tax