njack26

quality posts: 7 Private Messages njack26
tsunamikitsune wrote:So wait, does that mean this thing effectively has unlimited 3G/2G? That's kind of a huge detail if it's true.

My understanding is that you are cut off competely after 200 MB and asked if you would like to purchase more.
From the Features section: Want more data? Buy additional data on the fly at low pre-paid rates as you need it, when you need it

sigmaX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigmaX

Hi! I travel into USA a lot ... and need a device like this for mails and casual web work. I am wondering, as a non US Resident, is it still possible to use the 200mb per month ? Or does it ask for a social security number on registering ?

Another question: If you do not use it for -say 4 months- does Tmobile shuts down the offer on you ?

Thanks for any enlightening

enrique

SigmaX

chriscmsed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chriscmsed

I purchased this same item for $20 more and with only 2 years of free 4g (not lifetime). Will WOOT respectfully upgrade my 4g to todays lifetime deal?

mctenpenny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mctenpenny

My daughters both need something they can use in school next yr (we homeschool, but they take classes in a co-op setting). They will need to be able to take notes in class, type up a doc, email their teachers, watch videos, etc. Nothing too hi-tech. Will this be a good option for them as a simple laptop/upgrade from a tablet or iPod like they've used til now?
Also, for myself, is this a good "sit on the counter" device to access my calendar app, task list app, online recipe collections, etc?
Lastly, will this work with free wi-fi anywhere we may find ourselves since I don't want to buy a data plan right now for my kids.

Chris10162

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Chris10162

I now have 3 chromebooks -- and love them all. Samsung, Asus and THIS HP (bought from Woot a month ago.) Love them all. My only negative on the HP is that it is surprisingly heavy and the keyboard is a tad more challenging than on my other 2.

But I bought the HP for the larger screen and the free WiFi for life (which turns out to be great in a pinch) -- and am very satisfied.

njack26

quality posts: 7 Private Messages njack26
mctenpenny wrote:My daughters both need something they can use in school next yr (we homeschool, but they take classes in a co-op setting). They will need to be able to take notes in class, type up a doc, email their teachers, watch videos, etc. Nothing too hi-tech. Will this be a good option for them as a simple laptop/upgrade from a tablet or iPod like they've used til now?
Also, for myself, is this a good "sit on the counter" device to access my calendar app, task list app, online recipe collections, etc?
Lastly, will this work with free wi-fi anywhere we may find ourselves since I don't want to buy a data plan right now for my kids.

Should be good for note-taking, emails, videos calendar, task list, etc. As for wifi, yest this will work anywhere there is wifi available, and additionally, anywhere there is no wi-fi but there is T-Mobile coverage. At least for the first 200 MB monthly

roykron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roykron

I bought one of the 2GB RAM versions last week when they ran out of the ones in white with more RAM. It's a fast little machine, but I'm disappointed because there is no 4G connectivity. Although when I ordered it (says so on my receipt) it said it comes with 4G.

I've sent a message through Support to Woot but haven't received a reply, yet. Would really like to get this resolved.

Not the happiest of campers.

[MOD: You will be getting an email from CS today or tomorrow.]

hummingbird206

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hummingbird206

Is the keyboard backlit?

baldbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baldbear
sigmaX wrote:Hi! I travel into USA a lot ... and need a device like this for mails and casual web work. I am wondering, as a non US Resident, is it still possible to use the 200mb per month ? Or does it ask for a social security number on registering ?

Another question: If you do not use it for -say 4 months- does Tmobile shuts down the offer on you ?

Thanks for any enlightening

enrique

No social security number needed, and they won't shut it off unless you don't use it for a year. (from what I remember reading) You should be fine!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

hummingbird206 wrote:Is the keyboard backlit?

It is not. We will state that in the specs.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
mctenpenny wrote:My daughters both need something they can use in school next yr (we homeschool, but they take classes in a co-op setting). They will need to be able to take notes in class, type up a doc, email their teachers, watch videos, etc. Nothing too hi-tech. Will this be a good option for them as a simple laptop/upgrade from a tablet or iPod like they've used til now?

As an accessory laptop I think these chromebooks are great (if you have a windows laptop). If you don't have a windows laptop, I think for another $100 windows laptop would be a better move especially regarding school and potential compatibility issues that may arise down the line.

Here are a couple I came by
Acer 11.6" Aspire Win8 Touch Laptop AMD A6-1450 1GHz 6GB 500GB | V5-122P-0681

Gateway 15.6" Windows 8 Laptop AMD A4-5000 1.5GHz 4GB 500GB | NE52204u

this one is $299 with $100 rebate card- net cost $199
HP 2000-2d60DX 15.6” Notebook AMD A-Series A6-5200 (2.00GHz) Quad Core CPU, 4GB Memory, 500GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8400, SuperMulti DVD Burner, Windows 8 64-Bit

hcamardelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcamardelle

Do you need to have an account with T-Mobile to use the 4G?

And if one chooses, they can just utilize the wifi aspect of this correct?

Thanks Woot!

monkeyboyone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyboyone
alextse wrote:I wonder if I could use that SIM card in another device and it would still give me 200 MB/month?

Nope, at least based on a similar offer for iPads. The data plan is locked to the IMEI of the device it was purchased with. I couldn't even use the T-Mobile SIM purchased with one iPad mini in another identical iPad mini.

tanaise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanaise
TheCK wrote:...I would not suggest this unless your daughter is VERY tech savy. Before the masses chime in let me just say I spent most of my 4 years in college helping young girls who's mom, dad, or grandparent thought hey lets give them new technology they've never used.

Yes, because boys are born understanding how computers work, and girls' minds just can't handle anything more complicated than figuring out what classes will give them the best chance to meet a guy to marry.

How people learn to use new-to-them-technology: by using it. Don't let that be something that stops you from trying something new, or giving someone else the chance to try something new. Problem solving is one of the most important things that college teaches us.

rufustel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rufustel
chriscmsed wrote:I purchased this same item for $20 more and with only 2 years of free 4g (not lifetime). Will WOOT respectfully upgrade my 4g to todays lifetime deal?

Really? No . . . .

collin1000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages collin1000
chriscmsed wrote:I purchased this same item for $20 more and with only 2 years of free 4g (not lifetime). Will WOOT respectfully upgrade my 4g to todays lifetime deal?

Woot is not offering the data - T-Mobile and HP are. HP includes the data deal with new Chromebooks as well. I would suggest contacting HP and T-Mobile.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
ripprsoul wrote:If you're on the same network as the PC, then there are a couple of good RDP clients available in the Chrome Apps store (all free). If you're outside of the network, you can VPN into it as long as IPSec VPN is supported.

I use the RDP client on a daily basis, and I have had no issues with it at all.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-rdp/cbkkbcmdlboombapidmoeolnmdacpkch?hl=en-US

There is also Chrome Remote Desktop, which can be installed on any computer (Windows or Mac), which then allows you to remotely connect to that computer (using a PIN set by you) from wherever you are, with no need for a VPN connection.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-remote-desktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp?hl=en

Nice to know.
Any of you have real world experience using Citrix Receiver for HTML5 with the Chromebook?

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Why is there no model number shown anywhere in the specs or description?

tanaise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanaise

I don't have this machine, rather an Asus laptop from a previous woot, but one thing I can say that is EVER SO AWESOME about computers like this one (and my own) which makes them excellent for kids/clumsy adults: the SSD drive vs the standard SATA drive may be a fraction of the size BUT if you drop your laptop, while it's on, onto concrete, even repeatedly, you don't kill the hard drive. After killing two $1K laptops in a row in less than 3 years, that was a major selling point for me when I bought my old 16gb Dell Mini (No moving parts!). And indeed it proved to be so insanely useful to not be able to kill a computer without trying that I babied it long past the time it was outdated because I couldn't get any comparable replacement with a SSD, and that was the most important element of the machine to me.

For the purposes you're enquiring about, the 16gb would probably be fine, as you're not going to be storing large documents on it, or using it for photoediting, etc. Besides google drive or dropbox or whatever other options are out there, if you have a desktop, it's easy enough to put an external hard drive on the network for storing any overflow, but 16gb was big enough to use for most things.

ETA: forgot to mention another thing I love about SSD: the SSD also means that it restarts in like 12 seconds, so I am now spoiled for other machines as my laptop can wake from sleep and be rebooted and up and running in the time it takes my desktop just to wake up.

garfers1209

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garfers1209

Bought this unit a couple of weeks ago on Woot and it was $20.00 more. Darn, that suks. How about a $20.00 rebate or a $20.00 Woot credit????

kinnahan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kinnahan
njack26 wrote:My understanding is that you are cut off competely after 200 MB and asked if you would like to purchase more.
From the Features section: Want more data? Buy additional data on the fly at low pre-paid rates as you need it, when you need it

I can confirm you are shutdown after 200Mb. That's true for both my Chromebook (got the 32Gb model on the last sale) and my iPad Mini. In general TMobile throttles you down on their paid plans but for this free tier they just cut you off. It's a good backup and their marketing approach worked because there have been random times were I paid for a day or week's worth of data in a pinch. Win/Win in my mind.

wesbc

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wesbc

Of course white is sold out when I decided to jump on the deal.

pontunes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pontunes

I have the 2GB model. Wife has it on vacation. Having to live with a Samsung Windows 8 laptop for the week. The chromebook makes everything else seem REALLY slow. I still prefer a wireless mouse, and pretty much any of them will work. Also seamless with chromecast device. No more windows or crapple for me ever. And no more spyware or antivirus. Pays for itself.

jthebird1977

quality posts: 27 Private Messages jthebird1977
wesbc wrote:Of course white is sold out when I decided to jump on the deal.

These sold out early last week too. Sorry you missed the one you wanted.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

gak0090

tanaise wrote:EVER SO AWESOME about computers like this one (and my own) which makes them excellent for kids/clumsy adults. After killing two $1K laptops in a row in less than 3 years, that was a major selling point for me

Here's an alternative:

roykron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roykron
roykron wrote:I bought one of the 2GB RAM versions last week when they ran out of the ones in white with more RAM. It's a fast little machine, but I'm disappointed because there is no 4G connectivity. Although when I ordered it (says so on my receipt) it said it comes with 4G.

I've sent a message through Support to Woot but haven't received a reply, yet. Would really like to get this resolved.

Not the happiest of campers.

[MOD: You will be getting an email from CS today or tomorrow.]

The 4G was really important to me. I'm going ahead and purchasing another today with the 4G. (I see the white model is already gone, oh well). If I can RMA the one I purchased last week that said it came with 4G - but didn't - I'd appreciate it.

[MOD: That won't be a problem. ]

JBHickman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JBHickman

Can you watch Netflix thought it? Or is sliverlight still unsupported?

SeeBass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeeBass

I have this chromebook, bought it new. upgraded specs make it a lot nicer than older chromebooks.

gak0090

JBHickman wrote:Can you watch Netflix thought it? Or is sliverlight still unsupported?

Netflix also streams in HTML5. In short this chromebook will do fine with netflix

philmills

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philmills
JBHickman wrote:Can you watch Netflix thought it? Or is sliverlight still unsupported?

Netflix works just fine. My mom's landlady has one of the HP Chromebooks and I wanted to check it out - first thing I did was bring up Netflix and see what Doctor Who looked like.

ripprsoul

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ripprsoul
garfers1209 wrote:Bought this unit a couple of weeks ago on Woot and it was $20.00 more. Darn, that suks. How about a $20.00 rebate or a $20.00 Woot credit????

The one from a couple weeks ago had a 32GB SSD. These have 16GB. Lower spec, lower price.

nicholascjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicholascjohn

I'm going to school in the UK in September. I see this has 200MB of 4G, but I assume we can buy a data plan to use it. Does anyone know if the data service will carry over? T-Mobile has a deal with international carriers to give unlimited 3G data for those with plans. Basically asking what band the data is. Anyone have a clue?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

wesbc wrote:Of course white is sold out when I decided to jump on the deal.

You'll look stunning in the turquoise. Trust me.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dragnheart8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragnheart8

I am in the same boat as some of the others. I bought the 2gig unit and received it yesterday. NO 4G access. Have not heard back on my Support request yet. I noticed a MOD posted in an earlier post that we should be hearing back in a couple of days, but my question is, WHAT IS THEIR RESPONSE GOING TO BE? I don't want to miss out on this one if they are going to send me an email that says "SORRY, YOUR OUT OF LUCK". These seem to go pretty fast, and would hate to miss a chance because they take so long to repsond.

johnestan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnestan

What are the odds the other colors will sell out? My girlfriend is looking for a chromebook, but she is busy till tonight.

joecooool

quality posts: 23 Private Messages joecooool

You would have to watch it on Wifi as Netflix would burn through your 200 mb of free data in about five minutes.

GT500boy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GT500boy
ThunderThighs wrote:You'll look stunning in the turquoise. Trust me.

Or Coral might be his color... It is the hot color of this summer!

ripprsoul

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ripprsoul
johnestan wrote:What are the odds the other colors will sell out? My girlfriend is looking for a chromebook, but she is busy till tonight.

The last time these came up on Woot, all colors were sold out by noon CST.

garretta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garretta

bought two on last woot-go-round.

good, usable laptop if you don't need ability to install windows software.

I would note these are surprisingly heavy ... not exactly Mobile ... but great for home kitchen use (as compared to ultrabook, etc for 4-8x the $$).

-GA

mja1962

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mja1962
radi0j0hn wrote:Anybody care that this OS is an open window for Google to see everything you do?

No.