HotFusionMan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HotFusionMan
insightgoalie wrote:No, it isn't ditching, it is chroot'ing. ChromeOS still runs and Ubuntu runs inside of it. They're running on the system at the same time both using the same kernel. If you have it running you can actually press alt+control+forward/backward to switch between the OSes in real time.

Thanks for the clarification. I can't really see me ever switching back into ChromeOS, but I see now why that'll always be possible.

selune13

quality posts: 3 Private Messages selune13

These days, I mainly use my laptop to run Calibre and manage ebooks on my Kindle. It sounds like this machine would not be able to do this because you cannot install software. Is that correct? (Unless you use Linux, maybe, which I am completely unfamiliar with and would have no idea how to install.)

karmamule

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karmamule
byrdvt wrote:Hmm, thinking about getting one of these for my 4th grader. I imagine they can use WiFi and not use up the 200MB data, correct? Also, I suppose there is no way to use MS Office on this thing? This can download play games/apps; sounds like a good deal for a kiddo, no?

I use the online version of office (at office.com) on my Chromebook (acer 720p) and it works fine. Not the exact same model but it should work well on one of these too.

maninblack

quality posts: 4 Private Messages maninblack

Damn, just had an Acer Chromebook delivered from Amazon yesterday. Granted, I needed something quickly -- laptop died, and needed something more than just a tablet for an interstate move. The HP looks pretty good, too.

eraten

quality posts: 9 Private Messages eraten

Not sure why this hasn't been posted yet, but here is the coverage map for T-Mobile.

Might want to check it out if the 4G thing is a deal-breaker for you. Don't just check your home, check work, and other places you typically bring your laptop.

chrisspamsearch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chrisspamsearch

In for one! Looking forward to running unix and playing with my new toy. Should come in handy during my upcoming Fantasy football drafts!

glynis37

quality posts: 4 Private Messages glynis37
selune13 wrote:These days, I mainly use my laptop to run Calibre and manage ebooks on my Kindle. It sounds like this machine would not be able to do this because you cannot install software. Is that correct? (Unless you use Linux, maybe, which I am completely unfamiliar with and would have no idea how to install.)

This is true. I even wrote the developer to ask if he was planning a chrome version. He said he had no plans to. Hopefully, he will change his mind as chrome os becomes more mainstream.

For me, it's the only downside to owning a chromebook.

trlovejoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trlovejoy

Aside from being broke anyway, lack of a wired Ethernet connector is a deal breaker for me. Anybody know a decent USB to Ethernet adapter?

----------
I woot, therefore I woot.

whersh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages whersh
trlovejoy wrote:Aside from being broke anyway, lack of a wired Ethernet connector is a deal breaker for me. Anybody know a decent USB to Ethernet adapter?

As cfrahm pointed out earlier

cfrahm wrote:
Trendnet usb to RJ45 will allow you to connect to a wired network.

whersh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages whersh
insightgoalie wrote:No, it isn't ditching, it is chroot'ing. ChromeOS still runs and Ubuntu runs inside of it. They're running on the system at the same time both using the same kernel. If you have it running you can actually press alt+control+forward/backward to switch between the OSes in real time.

This is VERY cool. I wish I had to ability to do this with my windows box I would love to have full control over my system using 2 different OSs without rebooting.

sbell1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbell1

I purchased this last time it was available. I am very pleased with it! I have a wired printer with my desktop. Just had to register it to the cloud with chrome browser on my desktop and have no problem printing from the chromebook.

I do not have t-mobile coverage in my area so I cannot comment on the free plan.

Great battery life and is used all day. As long as you research the pros and cons of chromebooks, this is a good deal.

JohnDeCarlo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JohnDeCarlo

This one is a bit more enthusiastic.

http://www.itworld.com/hardware/427552/chromebooks-beyond-cloud-everything-chromebooks-can-do-offline?source=ITWNLE_nlt_tonight_2014-07-23

wtrew wrote:Here is a clear summary for those who (like me) are wondering what you can get done on these offline: http://www.zdnet.com/what-chromebooks-can-do-offline-7000027307/

To summarize, the answer is "basic email functions if you use gmail, virtually NO calendar functions, basic editing of Google Drive documents."

Included in the OS itself is a basic media player (for audio [unclear whether only mp3], images, "videos" [unclear what formats]) and a file manager, according to the wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS#cite_note-Metz-28

bydemonsbedriven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bydemonsbedriven
njlad wrote:Right? this is my lone beef...I would give up one ALT key for a DEL key ;)

I wonder if AutoHotKey would work to re-map this?

mrjoewood

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mrjoewood
beresh wrote:Do you get the free 100 GB of google storage for 2 years? Or is that not available since it is factory reconditioned?

I got it on the one I received a few weeks ago; I think it depends upon whether the original owner redeemed it first. Note that I had to use it on a second Google account (my daughter's, in this case), because I'd already used a Chromebook offer to get my 100GB (a Samsung, a year and a half ago). So... if it says you aren't eligible, it might be because you've redeemed a similar offer on your account. Had I not tried my daughter's, I'd have thought I couldn't redeem it at all.

justvisitinghere

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justvisitinghere

I own 2, one w/2GB & one w/4GB, both work beautifully, no comparison to Windows! Best purchases ever, used every day, hardly turn on Win 8 pc anymore. Excellent battery life, speed is FAST. Read Chromebook Central for info on usability of Chromebooks - also there are snap-on covers available at Amazon to change color & protect. Both of mine had the Google Drive offer (YMMV) & my T-Mobile setup took less than 5 minutes.

l33m

quality posts: 0 Private Messages l33m

Hi, does anyone know if the Sim card i get for this device worth with unlocked Iphones? I have a friend visiting internationally and I was wondering if i can let him use the sim card for data during his stay. Thanks.

notalwaysso

quality posts: 1 Private Messages notalwaysso
cfrahm wrote:I have one with 32gig. I love it. It is faster on the Internet than a regular computer. It boots and shuts down in a less than 15 seconds.

However, there are some programs that run off line, but pretty much everything is in the cloud. There are no built in programs like paint or solitaire. You have to run cloud programs for that.

There is no virus protection or malware, you don't need it. Just reboot it. If you put in Linux, then you will have malware and need something like Clam.

There are no print drivers. Trendnet usb to RJ45 will allow you to connect to a wired network.

All apps are in the Chrome store which is about as populated as Microsoft store for the RT. However graphics of the apps is not great. Also general graphics are alittle weak and glare can be an issue with the screen so you have to tilt it at times to get the best view.

Thank you that is a helpful post.

PirateZombieBazooka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PirateZombieBazooka

Any idea of the free data works in Canada? I've checke T-Mobile's coverage and the area I'm visiting is listed as "Service Partner" ... does this equal "Roaming", therefore no-go?

kevieugene

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kevieugene

I see that only the 16g is available. Should I wait until they sell this again and pick up the 32g?

mamajoan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mamajoan

Thanks everyone for the super helpful discussion. I'm seriously considering this machine for my 11yo son. Right now pretty much the only thing he'll want to do with it is play Minecraft -- if I read the comments correctly, this will be possible if I install Linux, yes? I've not done that before but am pretty confident I could figure it out. My question would be about data usage though. How quickly would he burn through the 200MB/month by playing Minecraft? Just curious because I'm sure he would be on wifi most of the time but I'd want to be prepared in case anything goes wrong with that.

Thanks!!

mamajoan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mamajoan

Also, can anyone comment on the "coral" color? Is it closer to a pink or a red? My son would not be pleased if I bought him a pink laptop *eyeroll*

feliphilia

quality posts: 6 Private Messages feliphilia

I've been thinking about a Chromebook and the many enthusiastic comments convinced me it's time. I bought a turquoise one--wish I'd been here in time for the 32GB white, but 16 GB is probably fine for me. I work in a computer repair business in any case so if I decide to upgrade I'll have help.

I did go to the Big Box store website on someone's recommendation to check the color. The one they are selling is $88 more, and has only 2 GB of RAM. Theirs also has two USB 2.0 and one 3.0 ports--this one has two 3.0 and one 2.0, another advantage.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mamajoan wrote:Also, can anyone comment on the "coral" color? Is it closer to a pink or a red? My son would not be pleased if I bought him a pink laptop *eyeroll*

Here's a bunch of pics from Google.

Looks like coral to me.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

flamingzebra90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flamingzebra90

Snagged one of these a week or two ago when they were up here, same price.

I love it. The free 4g was as easy as popping in the SIM and clicking through a few pages. No hassle, no suffering, no credit card or anything. Nice.

Hardware:
The hardware feels fairly nice and solid. I ended up with the pink (Sorry, SALMON) color since the silver was sold out, and I'm pretty pleased with it. The finish is a rubbery matte which doesn't attract fingerprints, which is nice. The whole device is surprisingly heavier than I expected, though still loads lighter than my last laptop. The screen is bright and beautiful looking, even in direct sunlight. While the keyboard has a lot of funny-looking keys on it, the essential keys are in the right spots and I was able to quickly adjust to typing on it.

The HDMI port in mine wasn't working when I tried it... I need to do further testing to establish whether the issue is on my end or if I got a laptop with a bad HDMI port. Hopefully it works because this is one of the main attractions of the laptop (Netflix runs great!).

Software:
ChromeOS is tolerable. I would categorize myself as a fairly sophisticated user and I didn't find myself nearly as constricted by the operating system as I thought. The 4Gigs of RAM make this computer very snappy and responsive. Boot up time is fast, and it doesn't flinch when you open half a dozen tabs. I started to get slowdowns when I started loading it up with addons and crap, but this is reasonable for a $200 machine. I used chrome Remote Desktop to get into my home machine and that added a whole new level of utility to this little device.

Developer Mode:
I bought the laptop planning to install Linux on it. Flipped the computer into developer mode, which was relatively easy to do (I didn't have to open up the hardware to get into developer mode like I originally thought I would need to). From there, it was straightforward to install Arch Linux onto it and I was up and running in under an hour.

From there I'm back to a full-fledged operating system and all of the limitations of ChromeOS melt away. I have been using the Linux partition to play a PC game called Hearthstone over Wine, and it has no problems doing this. Even nicer, I can easily switch back to the Developer mode of Chrome OS anytime I need to just do some quick browsing.

Battery life is a bit of a toss up, it isn't as great as I expected but it's still something like 3-4 hours. I guess I had unrealistic expectations.

Overall very satisfied for the price. This fit the awkward niche in my life between smartphone and desktop and I will be using this laptop for a long time!

mzboray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mzboray

I bought a 32G version the last time it was offered.
A really nice device.
For quick web access, chromeos is fast to start and fast to turn off. However, I do need a little more often enough so just chromeos is not quite enough. Being a techie, I downloaded and installed "crouton" (http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/) to install ubuntu linux. Works great and it allows me to use Libreoffice, other web browsers, and email readers. I did look at the installation of chromeos replacements, but booting was tricky, I figured a chroot version was just as good.
IMHO, this is a great device for very low tech users (my 85 yo father) and for high tech IT linux aware users.

As an additional note, the netflix modified version of WINE works great in crouton. Looks great on the wide screen.

flamingzebra90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flamingzebra90
mamajoan wrote:Also, can anyone comment on the "coral" color? Is it closer to a pink or a red? My son would not be pleased if I bought him a pink laptop *eyeroll*

I have one. I call it pink. I'm a guy. Doesn't bother me. Time to challenge your son's perception of colors and genders :D

Or just buy him a roll of this stuff and an Xacto knife and tell him to go nuts.

nancyinwi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancyinwi
cybercpa wrote:Thanks! "No roaming" explicitly stated. Great for urban areas - lousy for travel. Won't work in my house either!

Glad I read the comments. Was thinking of getting this for going to our cottage in summer where we have no wifi. But it definitely would be roaming. Thanks for posting!

psxsage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psxsage

Would never trust a 90 Day warranty on an HP product. A good friends father is a high level engineer at the HP office in MA and even at STEEP discounts he refuses to buy HP equipment for his own home. Not to mention the HP chromebook was the only one to face a major recall thus far...90 Day refurb warranties = HI! we have ZERO faith in our product so F.UCK you if it breaks.

eh1982

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eh1982

bit the bullet, second woot this week.

plan on installing ubuntu and using gimp/inkscape for simple vectoring to export stuff to my ebay store, and finally get my webstore up and running which is too distracting to work on while home, home it works out!

mjkmjk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjkmjk
itsallnoise2me wrote:Got this deal a couple weeks ago from woot and I love it. Can't beat this price and my unit was in great condition. I was able to get the free 100GB from google for 2 years no problem (though I think it depends on previous user) Lifetime 4G as stated, no CC required. For guys, I would suggest getting the white model, I got the Aqua and it is very bright. I installed Ubuntu on it using instructions off cnet. It's nice that it can run both OS's at the same time. Also, I bought a PNY 64GB SDXC Elite Performance UHS-1 to add some storage, works well and was only $35.

Can I fit linux on the 16GB version, or only the 32GB version?

mjkmjk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjkmjk
mweav6387 wrote:I got the turquoise 16gb model the last time this was offered. Very sleek machine and I get tons of compliments on it. I have installed a side by side linux as well as having set up a virtual machine on a 64gb sd card for all my windows needs.

Surprised to see how far Linux has come since its early elitist code days.

Would recommend for anyone who needs stellar battery life for any type of applications you may need.

Performs like an ultrabook at 1/5-1/10th the cost.

Personally I only use it indoors so I keep the brightness down low but my battery lasts about 9 hours with linux running and almost 11 hours with just browser usage.

Great purchase - no regrets.

So the Linux fit on the 16GB internal, plus you put a VM on the expansion device?

dhardin90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhardin90

I bought this woot last month when it was for 2 years free 200mb 4g. Any chance of us getting the lifetime 4g policy as well?

altheastronut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages altheastronut

I mainly want to use iTunes to download my podcasts and sync to my shuffle. I read that chrome books don't support iTunes? Is this completely true?

skdrowe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skdrowe
byrdvt wrote:Hmm, thinking about getting one of these for my 4th grader. I imagine they can use WiFi and not use up the 200MB data, correct? Also, I suppose there is no way to use MS Office on this thing? This can download play games/apps; sounds like a good deal for a kiddo, no?

Yes I Have MS Office on Line running on mine. It is a free app in the chrome store.

dezracer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dezracer
dhardin90 wrote:I bought this woot last month when it was for 2 years free 200mb 4g. Any chance of us getting the lifetime 4g policy as well?

according to T-moblie website...all 2 year plans are automatically being upgrade to lifetime

rdj999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdj999

bkiriakos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bkiriakos
beresh wrote:Do you get the free 100 GB of google storage for 2 years? Or is that not available since it is factory reconditioned?

Yes, as soon as you login with google credentials, it credits your account with 100GB. I suspect the first account to login gets the 100GB.

masupo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages masupo
altheastronut wrote:I mainly want to use iTunes to download my podcasts and sync to my shuffle. I read that chrome books don't support iTunes? Is this completely true?

You can "sync" from iTunes to the Chromebook by copying your library to Google Play Music

From the Google Chromebook Product Forums:

- Download and install the Google Play Music Manager on the machine where your iTunes library is.

- Use the Music Manager to upload your iTunes library to Google Play Music.

- Now you can stream your music to a web-enabled device.

feliphilia

quality posts: 6 Private Messages feliphilia

You could call it "orange" . . . .

jpkml

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpkml

Is there a way to get this shipped faster ?. I want it by next Wed, as i am off to a vacation starting Thu.