Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
hearmenow wrote:If you want a simple OTA dvr, and you do not have high speed internet then I wouldn't get this.
Also, no video out?
What is the point? Just to network?
You can do that with media player.

HD Homerun dual tuner/media player, or homeworx pvr much better choice IMO.

Homerun has no guide without internet. Needs to be fixed grrrr.

Homeworx get's guide on it's own. Oh btw, it also does 1080p and has HDMI, component, and s-video out.

This will work without any internet connection once the Roku box has been associated. A wireless router is all you would need if you were doing OTA only.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

jcostantino99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcostantino99

I cut the cord about a year and a half ago. I like the idea of this box. I like the external storage aspect. But not having video out is a deal-killer for me. So it's a DVR you cannot connect to a TV. I'll pass.

stvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stvy
aron1231 wrote:From the comments people have been glossing over the "Clear QAM" capabilities (or lack thereof), but potential customers beware - Clear QAM is dead and this device is useless for that purpose. It supports Clear QAM, but nearly all cable companies have stopped (or will stop in the future) providing basic cable channels un-encrypted due to legislation changes.

You've been warned!

Your absolutely right BTW... cable companies are clamping down and are restricting access to their signal sources... which of course is in their best interest. The cool thing about OTA (over the air) is that the signal is free to everyone. One resource which I find helpful is http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx it enable you to see what's available in your area.

simpleatl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simpleatl

Higher bandwidth is always good, but SimpleTV has settings that you can select the video quality based on your available bandwidth, so you always get the best quality when streaming outside your home. Inside the home you are streaming over the home network, the streaming quality is incredible. A Roku box or AppleTV are great add ons and will allow SimpleTV stream to your TV. Depends on how you want to watch you TV and movies.

hearmenow wrote:If you want a simple OTA dvr, and you do not have high speed internet then I wouldn't get this
Also, no video out?
What is the point? Just to network?
You can do that with media player.

HD Homerun dual tuner/media player, or homeworx pvr much better choice IMO.

Homerun has no guide without internet. Needs to be fixed grrrr.

Homeworx get's guide on it's own. Oh btw, it also does 1080p and has HDMI, component, and s-video out.

DonKudler

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DonKudler
jkmahan wrote:These don't support CableCards so it isn't very useful for Comcast customers.

Can't you just connect it to your Cable Box' Antenna Out?

luckycharmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luckycharmer

Pat,

Just want to make sure I'm clear on this. Are you stating that if I buy this woot deal with lifetime subscription already included that I can then apply that ver same lifetime subscription to a newer simple tv device down the road? So in other words the subscription is transferrable?

Thanks,
Loc

patnugent wrote:If I recall correctly the activation code you'll need during setup will be on a sticker inside the first page of the getting started guide. It's also worth noting that the lifetime subscription applies to multiple devices and future devices (ie if you buy another one or a new model a year down the road)

- Patrick @ Simple.TV

simpleatl

There are updates in works that will allow Simple.TV to stream to devices like Google Chromecast, XBOX,ONE and more. Today you can use a Roku or AppleTV box with Simple.TV if you have either one of those or are if you are considering purchasing one.

jcostantino99 wrote:I cut the cord about a year and a half ago. I like the idea of this box. I like the external storage aspect. But not having video out is a deal-killer for me. So it's a DVR you cannot connect to a TV. I'll pass.

kapoorr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kapoorr

One question: Can one re-attach usb to a PC and watch recoded shows? Good for travelers without worrying about connections etc. Have a couple usb thumb drives, record targeted shows, and it would be great.

Please, anybody?

Ringo4422

stvy wrote:Your absolutely right BTW... cable companies are clamping down and are restricting access to their signal sources... which of course is in their best interest. The cool thing about OTA (over the air) is that the signal is free to everyone. One resource which I find helpful is http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx it enable you to see what's available in your area.

Something that MOST people don't know is that Over The Air broadcast quality is superior to ANY Cable, Direct TV or Dish Network. When you make an A-B comparison the difference (especially motion blurr) is significant. OTA has wide open data bandwidth where as the digital TV companies use heavy data compression (which cause motion blurr and other artifacts) to fit all those channels through a pipe the size of a straw.
Just adding to his quality post.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

simpleatl

Yes, your Lifetime Subscription is transferable to new Simple.TV device as long as you are the original subscriber.

luckycharmer wrote:Pat,

Just want to make sure I'm clear on this. Are you stating that if I buy this woot deal with lifetime subscription already included that I can then apply that ver same lifetime subscription to a newer simple tv device down the road? So in other words the subscription is transferrable?

Thanks,
Loc

Ringo4422

In for one. Now let's hope I get mine a little faster than those less fortunate that are still waiting from the last Wootoff.
Now off to Newegg to find a deal on a slow no cache 500GB SATA HDD.

simpleatl

Not today. But Simple.TV will soon support "sideloading" which will allow you to transfer your recordings to PC, Mac, iPad etc.

kapoorr wrote:One question: Can one re-attach usb to a PC and watch recoded shows? Good for travelers without worrying about connections etc. Have a couple usb thumb drives, record targeted shows, and it would be great.

Please, anybody?

vibes4me

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vibes4me

Shall it work with Directv? Shall It?

thomasr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thomasr
theinfamousj wrote:I was initially very intrigued, until I realized that I have a VCR lying around that does what this does without need of Internet or an external hard drive. I can watch playback without fear of packet loss due to WiFi, and since I know how to program my VCR then I can record more than just live TV.

If you have a thrift store in your area, I recommend checking out the old technology that does just what this does (down to the lack of HDMI port). I got my VCR for $5. That is an $95 savings over this small white box of a video recorder.

The reason the old VCRs can play an old tape through the newest digital TVs but can't record off the air any more is because the old analog tuner in the VCR can not tune in the new digital TV stations. What this device seems to offer is a digital TV tuner with recording capability. If it works, those with an old roof antenna, etc., who watch *broadcast* TV stations should be able to go back to the "old days" of recording broadcast TV programs (on a hard drive you must provide) and watching them later. Fringe benefits include the ability to watch the replay on up to five devices. A free way to go back to the old days is to use one of those transition tuners folks attached to analog TVs in order to continue to use them (until they needed to be replaced as they broke). Connect that tuner to an old VCR and you should be able to record and replay broadcast TV programs just like the old days.

kapoorr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kapoorr
simpleatl wrote:Not today. But Simple.TV will soon support "sideloading" which will allow you to transfer your recordings to PC, Mac, iPad etc.

Thanks, would this sideloading be tied down to hardware, or via firmware upgrade?

simpleatl

Firmware and client software updates.

kapoorr wrote:Thanks, would this sideloading be tied down to hardware, or via firmware upgrade?

simpleatl

It shall not. It shall work by receiving over-the-air broadcast TV via an antenna, then streaming to mobiles devices anywhere, anytime.

vibes4me wrote:Shall it work with Directv? Shall It?

crater

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crater
powermatt wrote:So I take it you're only recording clear QAM channels? Not close enough to a city to pick up free broadcast channels?

This seems like it would be a good option for anyone living in or close to a big city with several ATSC broadcast TV channels. You'd get all the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) and maybe a PBS or two.

Verizon FiOS Cablecard. I get everything, including premium channels like NHL Center Ice.

eherberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eherberg

Everything I've read states that SimpleTV is excellent at streaming to remote devices - but that it is poor at watching live TV on your big screen due to quality issues. Wondering if the new device this fall addresses the Live TV quality issues?

mmarcoux66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmarcoux66
eherberg wrote:Everything I've read states that SimpleTV is excellent at streaming to remote devices - but that it is poor at watching live TV on your big screen due to quality issues. Wondering if the new device this fall addresses the Live TV quality issues?

Can't speak of the new Simple.TV device, but with the current one and the Roku 3 seems to do better than my Roku 2's... but if I pause live TV for a few seconds, it makes the video much more clear. Think it is just a buffering thing... again, from what I am seeing with the current gen.

simpleatl

Well, I'm watching the President's Cup on NBC through a Roku box on my 60" TV and I'll tell you, it looks fantastic.

eherberg wrote:Everything I've read states that SimpleTV is excellent at streaming to remote devices - but that it is poor at watching live TV on your big screen due to quality issues. Wondering if the new device this fall addresses the Live TV quality issues?

ccasey3655

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccasey3655

simpleatl,

Can more than one simple.tv be on the same network for multiple tuners. I know you guys are coming out with a dual tuner in the future (November maybe?), will this be able to be used with that as well? The deal is awesome for the lifetime subscription, but I really would like to be able to watch and record a different program like I can now with a comcast DVR. That is my deal breaker. If you can't piggy back I may wait it out. Thank you for any info you are able to give.

kiscica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiscica

Being able to use an AppleTV with this does it for me, since that's what I have -- in for one. Hopefully the AppleTV app works better than the Roku app, which, according to the video review posted early on in the discussion, sucks pretty badly.

Also, the fact that Apple must have a deal with Simple.TV to support it on AppleTV, which is a pretty exclusive "walled garden," makes me more confident that they'll be around long enough for the "lifetime premier subscription" to be worth something, since we all know that "lifetime" just means "as long as the company doesn't go bankrupt."

I don't recall seeing the Simple.TV app on my AppleTV though, so, simpleatl, how does one get one's AppleTV box talking to the Simple.TV?

simpleatl wrote:There are updates in works that will allow Simple.TV to stream to devices like Google Chromecast, XBOX,ONE and more. Today you can use a Roku or AppleTV box with Simple.TV if you have either one of those or are if you are considering purchasing one.

firesole33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firesole33
kiscica wrote:Being able to use an AppleTV with this does it for me, since that's what I have -- in for one. Hopefully the AppleTV app works better than the Roku app, which, according to the video review posted early on in the discussion, sucks pretty badly.

Also, the fact that Apple must have a deal with Simple.TV to support it on AppleTV, which is a pretty exclusive "walled garden," makes me more confident that they'll be around long enough for the "lifetime premier subscription" to be worth something, since we all know that "lifetime" just means "as long as the company doesn't go bankrupt."

I don't recall seeing the Simple.TV app on my AppleTV though, so, simpleatl, how does one get one's AppleTV box talking to the Simple.TV?

Any one know if they are going to ship this go around? I bought mine on a woot off Sept 26th as I type this woot still show's "shipping now: Tracking unavailable" I have 4 tickets with woot over the last week all 4 saying the same thing "we are working on getting tracking from the vendor, you should see something soon" Well woot and Simple TV I am going to file a charge back soon if you can't atleast give me tracking. For god's sake it should be here by know and you can even give me tracking. You sure charged me right away.

simpleatl

We are working to support multiple Simple.TV's on the same network. Late December early January is the timeframe.

ccasey3655 wrote:simpleatl,

Can more than one simple.tv be on the same network for multiple tuners. I know you guys are coming out with a dual tuner in the future (November maybe?), will this be able to be used with that as well? The deal is awesome for the lifetime subscription, but I really would like to be able to watch and record a different program like I can now with a comcast DVR. That is my deal breaker. If you can't piggy back I may wait it out. Thank you for any info you are able to give.

patnugent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
kiscica wrote:Being able to use an AppleTV with this does it for me, since that's what I have -- in for one. Hopefully the AppleTV app works better than the Roku app, which, according to the video review posted early on in the discussion, sucks pretty badly.

Apple.TV support for the moment is available through the iPad app (or by playing back content via Safari on other iOS devices) via AirPlay.

- Patrick @ Simple.TV

extremusmaximus

quality posts: 13 Private Messages extremusmaximus

I would LOVE to own one but it would be useless, since I live in a I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant-Comcast (“ConCast”) state that doesn't allow Clear-QAM equipment to freely roam the airwaves we are paying so dearly for anyway. Then every CSR you speak with tells you the lie that this is because it is a Government Mandate, which is 100% horse hockey; it is broadcasters that had to convert to digital so we COULD use Clear QAM with all of our new TV equipment.

Instead, Con-Cast makes us all forget about using our technology and forces us to use their little channel-changer, which is part of a campaign to make viewers sick of these useless restrictions and subscribe to expensive cable DVR boxes and services. In the old days, people used to threaten pulling their telephones off the wall and throwing them into the street to protest poor service and high prices. Now I know how they feel.

Is there any near-geniuses out there is WootLand that can think of a way that viewers can stage a revolt against operators like Comcast? I would contribute to a destructive hacking attack campaign if it meant improving the state of cable services in Amerika.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
stvy wrote:Your absolutely right BTW... cable companies are clamping down and are restricting access to their signal sources... which of course is in their best interest. The cool thing about OTA (over the air) is that the signal is free to everyone. One resource which I find helpful is http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx it enable you to see what's available in your area.

Ringo4422 wrote:Something that MOST people don't know is that Over The Air broadcast quality is superior to ANY Cable, Direct TV or Dish Network. When you make an A-B comparison the difference (especially motion blurr) is significant. OTA has wide open data bandwidth where as the digital TV companies use heavy data compression (which cause motion blurr and other artifacts) to fit all those channels through a pipe the size of a straw.
Just adding to his quality post.

@stvy & @Ringo4422, I'll triple that motion and bold face it for emphasis.

Also, don't fall for those silly ClearTV ads that make it sound like you are sneaking a free service with their 'device'. Any antenna will work for the 'new' digital TV signal as long as your TV is new enough to have a digital tuner. Although depending on how far you are from the broadcast antenna, you might need a rooftop or attic model, just like with old analog TV.

Also, a lot of folks are not aware that digital over the air TV brought up to 3 additional channels (sub-channels) of content for each main channel. So if you used to pick up 7 old-style analog channels, you might now find you have 15-20 channels of content. Admittedly the sub-channels are not HD and some of the content on them is mediocre. But in our case we added 2 dedicated movie channels.

So if you don't like $150-200 cable bills, cut the cord... or at least everything but the Internet of course!

ccasey3655

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccasey3655
simpleatl wrote:We are working to support multiple Simple.TV's on the same network. Late December early January is the timeframe.

I'm gonna bite then, because this is a great deal. I have yet to cut the cord, but I am going to test this with one of my tv's and see how it goes. Thank you for the information!!!!

bluemaple

extremusmaximus wrote:I would LOVE to own one but it would be useless since I live in a I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant-Comcast state that doesn't allow Clear-QAM equipment to freely roam the airwaves we are paying so dearly for anyway. Every ConCast CSR you speak with tells you the lie that this is because it is a Government Mandate, which is 100% horse hockey; it is broadcasters that had to convert to digital so we COULD use Clear QAM with all of our new TV equipment.

Instead, Con-Cast makes us all forget about using our technology and forces us to use their little channel-changer, which is part of a campaign to make viewers sick of these useless restrictions and subscribe to expensive cable DVR boxes and services. In the old days, people used to threaten pulling their telephones off the wall and throwing them into the street to protest poor service and high prices. Now I know how they feel.

Is there any near-geniuses out there is WootLand that can think of a way that viewers can stage a revolt against operators like Comcast? I would contribute to a destructive hacking attack campaign if it meant improving the state of cable services in Amerika.

@extremusmaximus, simple (pun?). Cut the cable TV cord. Speak with your feet. Go Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon Prime.

And demand that your local cable board open up to competition rather than granting exclusive rights to Comcast. (Although we have Comcast, UVerse, and Wow available in our town and it seems to have done little to control prices. Clearly there is some price collusion going on.)

simpleatl

Your welcome, and thank you for becoming a Simple.TV customer. I know you'll enjoy the experience!

ccasey3655 wrote:I'm gonna bite then, because this is a great deal. I have yet to cut the cord, but I am going to test this with one of my tv's and see how it goes. Thank you for the information!!!!

bluemaple

simpleatl wrote:Not today. But Simple.TV will soon support "sideloading" which will allow you to transfer your recordings to PC, Mac, iPad etc.

@simpleatl, thanks. That will be cool. How do you deal with DRM in that case?

(My Magnavox DVRs won't record in full HD, I believe largely due to it having an internal DVD burner. The picture quality (480p) is OK on a 42 inch monitor, but still...)

mmarcoux66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmarcoux66
simpleatl wrote:We are working to support multiple Simple.TV's on the same network. Late December early January is the timeframe.

So for right now you would need 2 accounts to run 2 in the same house? Just wanting to be clear .

patnugent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
luckycharmer wrote:Pat,

Thanks,
Loc

This is correct and kind of awesome.

mrbrightside

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrbrightside
extremusmaximus wrote:I would LOVE to own one but it would be useless, since I live in a I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant-Comcast (“ConCast”) state that doesn't allow Clear-QAM equipment to freely roam the airwaves we are paying so dearly for anyway. Then every CSR you speak with tells you the lie that this is because it is a Government Mandate, which is 100% horse hockey; it is broadcasters that had to convert to digital so we COULD use Clear QAM with all of our new TV equipment.

I'm asking something very similar here. Hoping for answers! Destroying ClearQAM for no apparent reason besides $$$$ makes my blood boil. I would love to go Netflix/Hulu+ but they don't have all of the latest shows, and certainly not live, and there's no way for me to record it either. Frustrating. Too bad they didn't do the government shutdown *before* they allowed this change.

smigit2002

quality posts: 12 Private Messages smigit2002
EddieAngel333 wrote:WARNING BEWARE I PURCHASED THIS AT THE LAST WOOT OFF AND IT HAS YET TO SHIP ! NO TRACKING NUMBER NOTHING !
I WAS JUST TOLD TO SIT TIGHT !
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP !
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOT RECEIVED THEIRS YET ?
STUFF I BOUGHT AFTER THE WOOT OFF HAS ALREADY SHIPPED !
BOUGHT ON SEPTEMBER 26 !
YOU HAVE BALLS PUTTING IT UP FOR SALE WHEN YOU CANT EVEN FILL ORDERS FROM LAST MONTH !
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM DON'T SELL THEM !

Weird, that sucks. Mine, purchased on the 25th of August shipped on the 3rd of September.

Wish I had waited, though, $99 would have been much nicer than the $150 I paid!

Oh well, it works decently. I have mine set up at a college campus that broadcasts everything over ClearQAM, which is great. The not so great thing is that, for whatever reason, the SimpleTV only picks up the first 30 or so channels. Support says they're working on an update to allow weaker channels to be picked up, so we'll see what kind of improvement I see. Overall, it's been a relatively good experience, and the quality of the video is better than the SlingBox I have.

simpleatl

Yes, that is correct.

mmarcoux66 wrote:So for right now you would need 2 accounts to run 2 in the same house? Just wanting to be clear .

Ringo4422

extremusmaximus wrote:I would LOVE to own one but it would be useless, since I live in a I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant-Comcast (“ConCast”) state that doesn't allow Clear-QAM equipment to freely roam the airwaves we are paying so dearly for anyway. Then every CSR you speak with tells you the lie that this is because it is a Government Mandate, which is 100% horse hockey; it is broadcasters that had to convert to digital so we COULD use Clear QAM with all of our new TV equipment.

Unless you live in a deep fringe area, just go out and buy an amplified indoor TV antenna. I live about 40 miles from all the stations and pick up all network channels. Just connect it to this box and enjoy your HD recordings.

kiscica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiscica

Huh??!?!?!?! In what way does that square up with your earlier, very unambiguous statement that says "Today you can use a Roku or AppleTV box with Simple.TV if you have either one of those or are if you are considering purchasing one."?????

Are you telling me that I'm now going to have to spend an extra $500 for an iPad to use the Simple.TV with my AppleTV? You wrote "you can use an AppleTV box with Simple.TV" --- NOT "you can use an iPad with Simple.TV and display your iPad on an AppleTV" (yeah, I'm sure that's going to go well, streaming HD video from the SimpleTV over wireless to an iPad, at the same time as you stream from the iPad over wireless to the AppleTV... not!)

So, basically, the Simple.TV does NOT work at all with the AppleTV, despite your earlier statement that explicitly said it does... right?

patnugent wrote:Apple.TV support for the moment is available through the iPad app (or by playing back content via Safari on other iOS devices) via AirPlay.

- Patrick @ Simple.TV

Ringo4422

I'm thinking that if someone already has Apple TV and has one of these married to it, I don't see a reason why another one wouldn't work by adding a Roku box to it... 2 seperate identities.