bwmooney

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bwmooney
Parkertron wrote:Can anybody comment on how much light is omitted from these when they're not lit up and trying to wake me? I sleep in a blacked out room and try to keep any light to a minimum. The notification light on my phone is about it.

I have used the HF3470 model for a couple of years now. It has a small LED display that emits only a little bit of light at night. It's an amber light. I, too, prefer as blacked out of a room as I can get most of the time, and I find this one to be on the dim end of the scale as far as alarm clocks go. It's usable to read at night, but it's almost dim enough that it can be hard to read with the room lights on if you're not at eye level with it.

Additionally, the unit is cone-shaped (as you can tell), so if it's a bit too bright for you, it's easy to rotate it slightly away from you and out into the empty room to help reduce it further.

eq5150

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eq5150

I have been looking for a 10,000 lux with a wake up feature. It takes 10,000 to "help fight winter blues" - If you search amazon for Phillips light box, scroll down and you see a chart as to what each one does. You may be disappointed by the fact that you have to choose between various benefits.
If you know of a 10,000 lux with a wake up feature please let me know!!

bwmooney

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bwmooney

HF3470 Review/Opinion:

I've been using this model for about 2 years now with fair success. There's some things I like and some things I don't. Because of that, I've ordered the HF3510 (the short round one) from Woot!.

First off, the general concept is that these lights have 20 brightness levels. You choose what max brightness you want it to ramp up to and then, about 30 minutes before your chosen alarm time, it starts stepping the brightness up incrementally until it reaches that predetermined max setting 30 minutes later. It takes a few days of experimenting to find the correct brightness for your own best wakeup. If you have it set to max at 20 (brightest possible), and you wake up the next morning at 17, you back off the max setting to 17 for the next morning's alarm. The goal is to set it so that you tend to wake up from the light about the same time that you hear the audible alarm begin to sound. This helps simulate the visual cues that sunlight normally provides, though on your schedule rather than on the ever-changing sunrise times. It's not as jarring as having the room lights suddenly switched on or having a lamp on a timer.

Second, the audible alarms basically are either nature sounds (which I don't use) or the FM radio. In both cases the sound volume ramps up to your preset volume max over the course of about 5 seconds or so (give or take). Thus it's not audibly jarring like a normal radio alarm would be.

Third, I've noticed some people commenting and wondering about SAD/Seasonal Affective Disorder and this unit. The light frequency required to combat SAD is on the blue end of the spectrum (thus the "blue light" that someone mentioned in a comment). The HF3470, and judging from the pictures the HF3510, creates a yellow-orange tinted light. I'm not sure if this is intentional, sort of like an orange sunrise or something, but it is definitely NOT the correct wavelength for SAD treatment. However, I suspect that the gradually increasing brightness may result in less abrupt awakenings and may help some with energy and mood. You're still gonna want a SAD wavelength light box if you really have SAD.

So, on with the actual review.

The HF3470 is actually more like a table lamp than an alarm clock. It uses a replaceable halogen lamp (of a particular type, not just any lamp) to gradually brighten to a preset level which helps your brain gradually come out of deep sleep and wake up. It includes an FM radio that, when turned on, gradually ramps up the volume over a few seconds.

This unit can also be used as a regular lamp as well as a regular radio, with each function being able to be independently turned on and off.

On the side of the unit near the base, arranged vertically, are most of the controls. There are three buttons for the lamp (on/off, + brightness, and - brightness) and three buttons for the radio (on/off, + vol, and - vol). There is also a short metal toggle switch that serves as the on/off toggle for the alarm and can be depressed further downwards for a 9-minute snooze.

On the front of the unit is the LCD display plus the buttons to set the time, set the alarm time, and change the radio station. These buttons are not exactly intuitive, but are no worse than most clock/radios.

The light output of this is very orange-yellow in caste. This is MUCH more yellow than most incandescent light bulbs and appears to likely be intentionally skewed towards that end of the visible spectrum. At it's lowest setting, the lamp is about as bright as a small candle. At its brightest, it is perhaps equivalent to a 40 watt incandescent.

For the HF3470 model, here's the pros/cons:

Pros:

- It really does help you wake up gently if used properly.
- Nice bonus of helping you not stumble around in the dark trying to hit the room light in the morning when the alarm does go off.
- Radio reception seems fair to good.
- Small amber LCD time display is not very bright so doesn't light up the whole room like a laser light show as many alarm clocks do.

Cons:

- Only one alarm time setting. Thus if you're in some line of work or in college where you don't get up the same time every day of the week, you'll be changing the alarm set time a lot.
- Difficult to change alarm time settings. The buttons on the front are small and not very easy to use. I'm sure you can get faster at it, and if you do it a lot you won't forget how, but it's still going to be annoying.
- Kinda huge for an alarm clock. This thing takes up a footprint about the size of a typical table lamp. It's very tall, for something that goes on a nightstand, and has a pretty wide base.
- Uses halogen bulb. This bulb will need to be replaced (though I haven't had to do so in about 2 years of usage b/c I usually get up and turn the light off fairly quickly). This may become a problem as incandescent/halogen bulbs are now federally outlawed. I also checked on the price of one of these replacement bulbs two years ago, and you can only get them from Philips and they were very expensive (I think around $60). The legal issue may be why this version of the wake up light has been discontinued (I hear).
- Since this uses a halogen bulb, the unit can get pretty hot, especially the top of it. The manual instructs you not to place anything over the top (where there are vents), but if the light has been on for 30 minutes or more, the top can be too hot to touch.
- The color of the light is very unnatural. Sunlight, even at sunrise, is much more white than this light is. Thus I've found it less than ideal vs. actually waking up to a sunrise. It also makes it difficult to use as a table lamp, particularly to read by at night in bed.
- The sound quality is quite poor. It's not recommended to listen to any music over the FM radio as you'll struggle to even make out what it is that's playing. Talk radio is adequate, so I tend to have it set to NPR.
- No independent settings for brightness or volume vs. the wake-up settings. If you change the brightness level and forget to change it back, it remains at whatever the last setting was. So you can't have it on max brightness to use as a lamp and also leave it set for 15 as the wake-up brightness.
- Due to the relative dimness of the lamp, even on maximum, if you happen to be turned in bed with your face away from the light, it loses a lot of the benefit since you may not "see" the room getting brighter.
- The biggest shortcoming is how expensive it is, even on sale. There's no reason for this to cost more than about $40 or so, especially given its limited functionality.

Tip:
One thing that anyone who wants to use this should absolutely do is get their sleep/wake cycle set to the same time every day, even if you don't need to get up for anything in particular the next morning. If you don't go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time every day, you're sleep cycle can get pretty messed up. As such, it becomes much easier to sleep through the gradual light increase and have to depend on the radio/audible alarm to wake you up. This will negate the whole point of this type of alarm clock.

All in all, its positives will outweigh its negatives for many people. I particularly find it handy in the winter, even here in the South, where I am often waking up long before sunrise in the depths of winter. It does help better than just waking up in a dark, cold room, and the ramp-up volume on the radio is a nice touch. There's lots of room for improvement, and I expect that Philips or a competitor will eventually execute this concept much better.

I'm going to try the newer model and see if it's any brighter (it's supposed to be) and if it has a more natural light color. More importantly, though, having LED bulbs should mean they will outlast the rest of the alarm clock and I don't ever have to worry about replacing the bulb, especially if they can no longer sell the halogen bulbs.

erasure101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages erasure101

i have the round one with LEDs. i'm too lazy too walk over and check the model number. i will attest that this alarm light is as good as the reviews would indicate.

it's bright enough to light up an entire room. when i use the wake-up light, i wake up with no grogginess that you would typically find with a loud alarm clock. the speakers in the thing sound pretty cheap and crappy, but you're not buying this thing to listen to chirping birds.

it works best when the light is positioned very close to your head, such as on a nightstand. i have not found it particularly effective on a desk on the other side of the room.

i can't imagine going back to using an alarm clock.

CoffeeOnIce

quality posts: 11 Private Messages CoffeeOnIce
bwmooney wrote:This bulb will need to be replaced (though I haven't had to do so in about 2 years of usage b/c I usually get up and turn the light off fairly quickly). This may become a problem as incandescent/halogen bulbs are now federally outlawed. I also checked on the price of one of these replacement bulbs two years ago, and you can only get them from Philips and they were very expensive (I think around $60). The legal issue may be why this version of the wake up light has been discontinued (I hear).

Incandescent bulbs are being outlawed, not halogen. And specialty bulbs are excluded. It only applies to 40W and 60W bulbs.

Source: PC Mag

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I would just like to take a couple minutes to talk to the people of Wyoming....

WHY YOU NO BUY LIGHTS?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

RaisinROM

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RaisinROM
Incansus wrote:For Lottery000:

Order #: W7399005

Date: 1/10/2014

Billing information:

Order total:

Subtotal: $ 79.95
Shipping & Services: $ 16.95
Applicable Taxes: $ 0.00
Total: $ 96.90
Total Due: $ 96.90

Item(s) Ordered:

Item : 81819
Name : The Peaceful Progression Wake Up Clock.
Price : $79.95
Quantity : 1
Item Subtotal : $79.95
Gift Wrap : No

From where did you order this ? I ALSO checked out HS, and got the same message, that the item was no longer available.

Dazzle DVD, Tornado USB, No Crank Hose Reel, SCREAMING Monkey, Woot Off Lights, Solar Panel, Ion USB Turntable, Power Squid, Sansa, Slacker, Ed Hardy RC Plane, EzyFlare, iPod, hammer, tv, A N D . . . my FIRST Bag of Coal !!!!!!!!!!! After that: Little Giant ladder, large button remotes for dad, Dremel Multi-Max tool, Vornado Fan, Emerson Timer, Oliso Iron, EZY Flares, LED Safety Triangle, Dyson DC21, Screaming Monkeys, Mini CamCorder

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
pwagz wrote:So the LED bulb is not replaceable? I would think in this day and age that would be a reality? Can you point me to the review that makes this claim? Thanks!

LEDs last 20,000+ hours. It's highly unlikely that it would be lit that many hours in your lifetime, or the lifetime of your clock. It's not user replaceable because it's soldered in.

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
ThunderThighs wrote:I would just like to take a couple minutes to talk to the people of Wyoming....

WHY YOU NO BUY LIGHTS?

LOL, TT.

So, what to do, what to do? The only person to respond to my question about whether the lights wake up the other person in bed was someone who sleeps alone. I appreciate the effort, but can I rely on that comment?

sdc100

lottery000 wrote:Hey Michelle, thanks for this awesome post. I was super excited about pruchasing this clock from Hammacher and Schlemme. Sadly, after looking at their website, they don't seem to offer the product anymore.

"Item 81819 Price $79.95 We regret that this item is no longer available."

That model is nowhere near as bright as these, especially the LED model. The HS clock is a little brighter than a nightlight. If you are to believe the theory behind these Sun simulation clocks, the HS clock won't do.

sdc100

fightingpillow wrote:Why do these cost so much? Surely there is another company that can put a light and a clock together more cheaply.

It shouldn't but since people are buying them, why would Phillips want to lower the price? It's the Apple/Mac mentality. In PHillip's defense, though, they are leaders in lighting technology, especially LED, and I don't think any other company makes a clock as bright as the LED model. Good LED lighting is still expensive.

hanuta44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hanuta44
InFrom wrote:LOL, TT.

So, what to do, what to do? The only person to respond to my question about whether the lights wake up the other person in bed was someone who sleeps alone. I appreciate the effort, but can I rely on that comment?

I think that really depends on how light of a sleeper your other half is. In my case the lamp is on my side and I set it so that getting up time is when hubby has to get up. I wake up earlier than he, probably because the lamp is on my side and I am a lighter sleeper. I also sleep on my side, so the light shines in my face first.
I am up when the lamp starts ramping up about half way through and he does when the sounds start.

I think you'll have to figure out whats best for each couple. If you don't want to wake up right when the lamp starts up and you are a light sleeper, maybe put it on the other side of the bed.
I like to have it near me as I hit the snooze, he gets up and that gives me a few more minutes to cuddle with the cat and then I roll out lol.

eta: just realized I am a day late and a dollar short again

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12
sdc100 wrote:1) False. Unlike bare LEDs, the clock uses a diffuser, spreading the light evenly 180 degrees. There are no bright or dark spots.

2) No, it does not have to shine in your face, although that may wake you sooner since the light disturbs your eyes. It's no different than the halogen version, or the sun. Having the light in your eyes will wake you. BUT ... the whole theory behind these clock is that light preps your body hormonally to be waken. As such, light shining on any exposed skin works. In fact, a study on jet lag showed that shining a light on the back of the knee had the best results.

3) LEDs have a lifespan of at least 20,000 hrs. If anything goes wrong, it would be some other component, not the LED. Halogens burn hotter, need replacing and use more electricity. And in this case, also less bright than the LED model.

Interesting how eager you seem to be to tear down my comments. About the direction of the light from the LED model, I was going by a review on Amazon that was credible (verified purchase, high helpful ratio, quality of review).

Your comments about halogen vs LED are incredibly obvious and I am very well-versed in these types of lighting. Just because an LED has a lifespan of XX,XXX hours, it doesn't always mean it will last that long, especially since it contains electronic components. If the electronics were to fail, say, a year or two from purchase, you'll have to try to nag Philips to repair it or replace it entirely for you. If the halogen bulb goes out, you have to head to your local lighting or hardware store and shell out about $7 for a new bulb and have it replaced within hours of burning out. So, you decide...

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
hanuta44 wrote:
eta: just realized I am a day late and a dollar short again

Never mind that, I'm even later. I just woke up on the couch, all the lights on and the TV blaring. Slept through the end of Jimmy Fallon. My spouse is right next to me, still asleep. So it seems my worries were unfounded, as it turns out, and I could have bought the light after all. Anyway, maybe it'll come up in a wootoff or something.

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

My HF3510 arrived today.

Is it weird that I'm actually looking forward to waking up tomorrow?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sdownin wrote:My HF3510 arrived today.

Is it weird that I'm actually looking forward to waking up tomorrow?

LOL. I love my wake-up light. I hope you love yours.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jhudiddy08

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jhudiddy08

Mine was delivered yesterday and this morning was the first of hopefully a long succession of peaceful awakenings. Over the past two weeks, I've been trying to get to work for 7-7:30am. As such, I was setting an alarm for 5:30 each morning. Today was the first day I made it into the office before 7:30, thanks to the Philips wake up light (LED model). Instead of hitting snooze 6-10 times in succession and begrudgingly getting out of bed well after 6:30, I set the alarm for 5:40, was gently woken by birds chirping, then hit snooze once, just to see how well it worked.

The verdict? I'm sold. It was more money than I would have otherwise spent (was previously using the free alarm clock on my cell phone), but if the results continue, I'll consider it money well spent.