kjonmyway

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjonmyway
agingdragqueen wrote:Hey all, our Goal Zero rep is going to be popping in and out of the thread today as he can, but keep checking in!

This is a huge testament to the level of customer service from Goal Zero. No company is perfect of course, but it says a lot that you are answering questions on this forum.

I wholeheartedly endorse this product, (and I paid full price for mine). It is MUCH better than most of the solar chargers out there, (and I speak from experience).

zhaotong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zhaotong

@goalzero as you said the batteries would be dead in 5 years, but how is Nomad 7 Solar Panel life?

mjmjunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjmjunk

Can the solar panels be used to charge the Escape 150?

goalzero

quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero
zhaotong wrote:@goalzero as you said the batteries would be dead in 5 years, but how is Nomad 7 Solar Panel life?

It is rated at 15 years.

goalzero

mjmjunk wrote:Can the solar panels be used to charge the Escape 150?

Sorry! The Nomad 7 doesn't output enough voltage to charge it.

JasonT2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JasonT2000

I purchased one (Panel and Guide10+) full price last year and took it to Philmont Scout Ranch. I have a picture of it up at the top of Mt.Baldy. It kept the camera batteries charged up throughout the 10 days in the backcountry. Worked flawlessly the whole time.

Nimroder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nimroder
goalzero wrote:It is rated at 15 years.

15 years of continual use or 15 years shelf life? I want to put one of these in my BOB when SHTF. If the Nomad 7 Solar Panel and the Guide 10 Power Pack sit in my gun safe for 20 years never being used, will it work when I need it?

reitveld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reitveld

Can regular Alkaline batteries be used in the Guide 10 (not for re-charging) for charging up my phone? I know they push 1.5 vs 1.2 V Would this hurt the Guide 10?

goalzero

Nimroder wrote:15 years of continual use or 15 years shelf life? I want to put one of these in my BOB when SHTF. If the Nomad 7 Solar Panel and the Guide 10 Power Pack sit in my gun safe for 20 years never being used, will it work when I need it?

The solar cells break down after 15 years. The are expected to be 80% efficient after 20 years. Make sure you have a fresh set of NiMH batteries!

goalzero

reitveld wrote:Can regular Alkaline batteries be used in the Guide 10 (not for re-charging) for charging up my phone? I know they push 1.5 vs 1.2 V Would this hurt the Guide 10?

It wouldn't hurt the Guide 10 Plus, but it would damage the device you are charging. Do not use the Guide 10 Plus with Alkaline batteries.

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

I have several of these. They are fantastic for camping trips, and will work decently even when not directly pointed at the sun. I just go "bump" the panel ever couple of hours.

I would suggest you pick up at least one extra charger/battery set, if not more. That way, one pack can always be charging (From the panel) while your device is recharging (From one of the fully-charged battery packs.

Mine will fully charge a pack in a little less than four hours.

patrice2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages patrice2
goalzero wrote:Unfortunately, this panel was not designed for that use. We do have a few different product offerings that would help you for this type of situation.

In May of this year, we will launch a product to market that is a true trickle charger, with male 12V output so you can plug it directly into your car's cig-lighter and walk away. It will also have alligator clips for bike batteries, ATV batteries, etc. It will be called the Maintainer 10 and retail for about $100.00.

Thanks for the response, but bummer. I don't need a solar maintainer most times--I have a 1.5 amp AC powered one for when I am garaged at home, the same as I have AC to charge my electronics. I only need a solar boost when off-grid now and then and a versatile 1-2 amp solar charger with a male 12V plug in the accessory bag would be great, instead of just another freaking gadget with one specific use on sporadic occasions. Maybe keep that in mind for future products.

bluemidget

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bluemidget
patrice2 wrote:How would I connect the solar panel to my van's cigarette lighter to maintain the van's battery when parked for extended periods? What sort of adapter cord would I need?

I use the sunvisor charger from Harbor Freight to keep my stored van's battery fully charged...and you are in luck..on sale for $15.99 1.5 Watt .Also works great on keeping my lawn tractor and Zero Turn topped off and ready to go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=SOLAR+CHARGERS

In now way am I trying to compare HF solar charger to Goal Zero, which I would love to have for back packing and camping.

raguilar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raguilar
kjonmyway wrote:I bought mine at REI as well. I actually went into the store and asked the clerk which one was better. They advised me that they themselves would purchase this one. I don't work for GoalZero, but from my understanding, the switch 8 outputs power to usb only, while the Guide 10 outputs power to usb or AA and AAA batteries, so it is more versatile, particularly if any of your devices use batteries.

Another note - REI members, (and not sure if this applies to non-members) can return any product at any time....no questions asked.

A note to REI Members, the policy was changed and you only have 1 year to return no questions asked, after that it has to be defective.

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf

Has anyone else gotten theirs yet? Mine arrived on Friday. It does not seem to work but I'm wondering whether the sun is not strong enough on the east coast this time of year?

TeddH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TeddH
cf wrote:Has anyone else gotten theirs yet? Mine arrived on Friday. It does not seem to work but I'm wondering whether the sun is not strong enough on the east coast this time of year?

Mine arrived but came with the older model solar panel, not the panel in the picture or as described by the Goal Zero representative in the discussion thread. I've contacted Woot support but they are slow to respond.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 135 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

TeddH wrote:Mine arrived but came with the older model solar panel, not the panel in the picture or as described by the Goal Zero representative in the discussion thread. I've contacted Woot support but they are slow to respond.

I'll try to prod CS today for you.

timeshareguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timeshareguy

"When the goal 10 plus stores energy does it store the energy into the changeable rechargeable AAs or AAA or does it have it's own independent storage?"

in the AA or AAA batteries.

"Also is it possible to draw energy from your AAs and AAAs to power your USB devices?"

yes

TeddH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TeddH
agingdragqueen wrote:I'll try to prod CS today for you.

Thank you. Three or four business days between replies seems long.

I did hear back from them yesterday and Woot does not have a replacement. They offered to let me send it back for a refund, but even though it's the older part it was still a good price, so I'm going to keep the kit.

cf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cf

Mine does not appear to work at all. I am sad. I think I am going to have to stop buying expensive things on woot because too many of them just don't seem to work or work properly and, given the lack of returns, it is just money down the drain.

akmiller100

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akmiller100

I bought as a gift and they just opened it- It was obviously a used product- Not Happy

cf wrote:Mine does not appear to work at all. I am sad. I think I am going to have to stop buying expensive things on woot because too many of them just don't seem to work or work properly and, given the lack of returns, it is just money down the drain.