renrutnairbwoot

quality posts: 6 Private Messages renrutnairbwoot
ROGETRAY wrote:My bad! I was about to tell you that lichme already posted the correct answers!

I commend your for your efforts though. Technically you got the "full name" on #4

;)

At least it kept me from work I was trying to get caught up on. I actually have never played a Super Nintendo before.

lichme

quality posts: 2849 Private Messages lichme
renrutnairbwoot wrote:At least it kept me from work I was trying to get caught up on. I actually have never played a Super Nintendo before.

It's still my favorite console of all time.

renrutnairbwoot

quality posts: 6 Private Messages renrutnairbwoot
lichme wrote:It's still my favorite console of all time.

Mine would have to be the original NES.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
lichme wrote:It's still my favorite console of all time.

Yeah- the SNES was the perfect console. My favorite games of all time live on it.

I also have a soft spot for the Gamecube since it was the first console I bought with my own money... That's sort of random though. It did, however, have some gems.

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

If we're going for favorite console, my vote is for the Jaguar, solely because of Tempest 2000.

FrostByte

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FrostByte
oakenspirit wrote:Yeah- the SNES was the perfect console. My favorite games of all time live on it.

I also have a soft spot for the Gamecube since it was the first console I bought with my own money... That's sort of random though. It did, however, have some gems.

Wow... it's hard to pick a favorite console. I've had the following:
NES
Genesis
Playstation
N64
PS2
PS3

If I was going to rank these based on enjoyment, I'd probably have to look at % of time owned compared to % of time played to figure out which one was my favorite.

PS3
NES
PS2
Genesis
PS1
N64

Charter Member (0002314) - Friend of the Official Crappraiser Get your Official Crappraisal today.

woot 59 wine 5 shirt 35 sellout 12 kids 27 hh 2 moofi 3 home 7 sport 6
electronics 3 pop 4 tools 2 a&w 4 computers 0 total 169

dougall

agingdragqueen wrote:Jealous! Please report back!

I have buttons, joysticks, a controller, power tools and the internet.

and hopefully some free time this weekend.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 126 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

dougall wrote:and hopefully some free time this weekend.

Ah, the eternal search for enough free time to play all the games you wanna. Young me is disappointed by the reality of adult life.

dougall

agingdragqueen wrote:Ah, the eternal search for enough free time to play all the games you wanna. Young me is disappointed by the reality of adult life.

It's more the time to make the controller, I can pick up 5 or 10 mins here and there to play games.

It's also a Father-Son project, so it's much more likely to happen too.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Here, we can also discuss the video/board/tabletop games WE NEVER FINISHED

-Too difficult?

-Game take WAY too long?!

-Did you just simply give up because it lost it's luster?]

Here are today's picks:

Half Life 2

Half Life (the first) was a pretty stellar game. Half Life 2 is also a REALLY great game as well, but it seemed a LOT LONGER. I remember plugging in aprox 20 hours and I STILL wasn't finished beating it.

Just Cause 2

THIS GAME IS INFINITE. IT CAN BE PLAYED FORRRRRRRREVVVVVER.

Monopoly

Eventually, you will just give up at some point. Once negotiations and trading have lost their luster, you will start giving away utility and railroad realty just to make things interesting.
I can't remember the last time I finished a game of Monopoly.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3472 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

I am slowly getting into tabletop games. Check out Wil Wheaton over on the Geek & Sundry channel for all things tabletop.

FrostByte

ROGETRAY wrote:

-Too difficult?

-Did you just simply give up because it lost it's luster?]

Here are today's picks:

Half Life 2

Just Cause 2

Monopoly

Eventually, you will just give up at some point. Once negotiations and trading have lost their luster, you will start giving away utility and railroad realty just to make things interesting.
I can't remember the last time I finished a game of Monopoly.

I don't think I ever finished Half-life although I agree it was quite fun.

There are so many open world games these days that unless you want to stick right to the core story they are very hard to finish.

For instance, I've completed the story mode for all the Uncharted games, but I'm nowhere near DONE. Between playing on harder levels, and finding all the hidden items, it would take way more time than I have. With those games I already go slow because so much of the environment is beautiful and begging to be explored, even though the game is mostly linear.

Again, I'll probably be in the minority here, but Assassins Creed, while the trailers all look great, ended up becoming too repetitive for me to actually finish.

Charter Member (0002314) - Friend of the Official Crappraiser Get your Official Crappraisal today.

FrostByte

conanthelibrarian wrote:I am slowly getting into tabletop games. Check out Wil Wheaton over on the Geek & Sundry channel for all things tabletop.

I agree that this is a pretty good channel to subscribe to. I tend to only watch if either the game really appeals to me or they have guests that I enjoy.

They just did a fundraiser that I didn't investigate regarding season 3. I'm hoping backers just get early access and they aren't taking it away from the general public.

conanthelibrarian

FrostByte wrote:I agree that this is a pretty good channel to subscribe to. I tend to only watch if either the game really appeals to me or they have guests that I enjoy.

They just did a fundraiser that I didn't investigate regarding season 3. I'm hoping backers just get early access and they aren't taking it away from the general public.

I actually just went to a panel at WonderCon with Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day. The money was raised fairly quickly and have enough to make a full season plus an extra one for backers. They are raising more money to make a companion show to Tabletop.

ROGETRAY

Staff

These are the games that made us throw controllers, start fights with siblings and wish certain doom to game developers.

REASONS: Too difficult, boring, laggy/buggy, didn't meet expectations, etc...

WEEK:4/23/14

This weeks' WORST VIDEO GAME EVER is:

(IT'S A TIE...WE HAVE TWO GAMES THIS WEEK)

Ecco the Dolphin (Sega) – (RELEASED: 1992)

I don't mean to hate on dolphin lovers. I too have an affinity for the bottlenosed little guys.

However, this game was just...was...there just aren't any words to accurately describe the amount of crap it was.

The main character, Ecco is a dolphin who travels through time and hangs out on alien spacecrafts.

Your main powers throughout the game? Singing

That's right: Singing.

I could elaborate more on the amount of frustration and lameness of this game, but I've thankfully forgotten much of the game from my youth.

Myst (Mac OC/PC) – (RELEASED: 1993)

Okay...so this game WAS A LITTLE BIT COOL. Detailed graphics for it's time, ominous music and intriguing puzzles. It was kind of the "Lost" before J.J Abrams' "Lost" (Except no Lily, Sawyer or Jack)

BUT IT WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS THE MOST BORING GAME IN ALL OF EXISTENCE.

Did anyone actually beat this game? It wasn't scary, it wasn't action packed and the puzzles were hard as hell (Disclaimer: I was around 9 or 10 when the game came out, which might explain my ineptitude).

I might have to revisit the game and see if it still holds up...OR NOT....

Please comment/post and let us know what you think is the WORST VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME

FrostByte

ROGETRAY wrote:
Ecco the Dolphin (Sega) – (RELEASED: 1992)

Myst (Mac OC/PC) – (RELEASED: 1993)

Please comment/post and let us know what you think is the WORST VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME

I also feel like I was misled into playing Ecco... controlling a dolphin, how could that NOT be cool?

I played Myst as well, but I know I never beat it.

For a dolphin game that I got more mileage out of than Ecco, check out: Dolphin Olympics 2

BTW... really miss Woot's Flash Fridays.

ROGETRAY

Staff

FrostByte wrote:I also feel like I was misled into playing Ecco... controlling a dolphin, how could that NOT be cool?

I played Myst as well, but I know I never beat it.

For a dolphin game that I got more mileage out of than Ecco, check out: Dolphin Olympics 2

BTW... really miss Woot's Flash Fridays.

DITTO TO EVERYTHING YOU SAID.

Also: Dolphin Olympics is crazy sauce.

P.S.S I miss FFs too

dougall

dougall wrote:
If you have to ask why, then you should just go try to find a copy of the game, word on the street is that there are millions of unplayed copies buried in a New Mexico hole.

They found him ;)

FrostByte

dougall wrote:
They found him ;)

More coverage here.

ROGETRAY

Staff

Week 4/28/14

Which video games are these screenshots from?

Dreamcast Edition

#6 (MUY DIFICIL!)

conanthelibrarian

1. Hydro THUNDER!! (sorry, can't say THUNDER without yelling it like AC/DC)

As for the name for number 6, I can't type the name because because every time I try I start giggling.

lichme

Ah Dreamcast, the first console I ever hacked.

#2 Power Stone
#3 Outrigger
#4 Virtua Tennis 2
#5 Gauntlet Legends

lichme

lichme wrote:Ah Dreamcast, the first console I ever hacked.

#2 Power Stone
#3 Outrigger
#4 Virtua Tennis 2
#5 Gauntlet Legends

#1 Hydro THUNDER (Thx Conan)
#2 Power Stone
#3 Outrigger
#4 Virtua Tennis 2
#5 Gauntlet (Legends?)
#6 Seamen (Giggidy)

I googled "dreamcast ugly fish game" to come up with #6

#3 and #5 are the only ones I spent any real time playing.

stryper2000

quality posts: 27 Private Messages stryper2000

I played the crap out of Hydro Thunder at the movie theater back in the day.

On an unrelated note I reached Prestige Master on Black Ops II over the weekend, first time doing so in any Call of Duty game. Also I have been playing Dead Rising 2 and trying to catch up on COD:Ghosts, all on PS3

The Craphound of Woot

Antagonist of Sellbuyer92 , I sniped his Basket Of Checkers

x38

FrostByte

#1 and #4 were big arcade games for me.

Woody1150 had the dreamcast, and pretty much the only thing we played was tennis.

dougall

FrostByte wrote:More coverage here.

Thanks!

ROGETRAY

Staff

-Too difficult?

-Did you just simply give up because it lost it's luster?

Here are today's picks:

Minecraft

Okay, so technically this game doesn't count. It's built as an open sandbox game and doesn't have an "end game" per say.

I have spent numerous hours, days and lost weekends building the houses and castles of my dreams.
Every once in awhile, I feel as though it would be awesomesauce if there was an end boss...
Netherworld?!

Dr. Mario

Seriously...HAS ANYONE BEAT THIS GAME? I loved playing it as a kid but the game began to get so difficult around Level 10 or 11.
The pills are being dropped so fast you swear you were playing Dr. Liza Minnelli.

Bionic Commando

I REALLY wish I had finished this game. It wasn't necessarily too difficult to complete, I just simply grew tired of boss fights and falling to my certain doom.

Terrific game, I very much enjoyed playing it as a kid. This is one of the few oldies that I plan on returning to very soon.

Fez

This was seriously one of the one most wonderful indie games I've EVER had the pleasure of playing.
It was beautiful, the controls handled wonderfully, puzzles were fair and balanced and the music was terrific. I loved the 2D mixed with 3D elements in the game. Nothing but amazing things to say about Fez.

I....just never finished it.

THERE ARE SO MANY CUBES!! 32 to win the game and 64 for full completion. Each cube is 4 pieces though, so that's 128?

Egggggghhhh...
great game though! :D

conanthelibrarian

Now I know I am going to get some serious hate for this but....Halo.
I just couldn't get into it let alone finish it. Trust me, with three roommates obsessed with the game I had every opportunity to play but I was just bored with it.

Ok, I will accept things being thrown at me now

ROGETRAY

Staff

conanthelibrarian wrote:Now I know I am going to get some serious hate for this but....Halo.
I just couldn't get into it let alone finish it. Trust me, with three roommates obsessed with the game I had every opportunity to play but I was just bored with it.

Yeah, I wouldn't fault you for that. That game is much more fun with co-op or multiplayer.

Halo 2 was also VERY excited and kinda ramped up the action.
Again, more of a multiple player endeavor.

Toridas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Toridas
ROGETRAY wrote:

-Too difficult?

-Did you just simply give up because it lost it's luster?

Here are today's picks:

Minecraft

Okay, so technically this game doesn't count. It's built as an open sandbox game and doesn't have an "end game" per say.

I have spent numerous hours, days and lost weekends building the houses and castles of my dreams.
Every once in awhile, I feel as though it would be awesomesauce if there was an end boss...
Netherworld?!

Dr. Mario

Seriously...HAS ANYONE BEAT THIS GAME? I loved playing it as a kid but the game began to get so difficult around Level 10 or 11.
The pills are being dropped so fast you swear you were playing Dr. Liza Minnelli.

Bionic Commando

I REALLY wish I had finished this game. It wasn't necessarily too difficult to complete, I just simply grew tired of boss fights and falling to my certain doom.

Terrific game, I very much enjoyed playing it as a kid. This is one of the few oldies that I plan on returning to very soon.

Fez

This was seriously one of the one most wonderful indie games I've EVER had the pleasure of playing.
It was beautiful, the controls handled wonderfully, puzzles were fair and balanced and the music was terrific. I loved the 2D mixed with 3D elements in the game. Nothing but amazing things to say about Fez.

THERE ARE SO MANY CUBES!! 32 to win the game and 64 for full completion. Each cube is 4 pieces though, so that's 128?

Egggggghhhh...

Minecraft does have an ending, there's a zone called The End and a creature called the Ender Dragon which, when, killed, gives you an achievement called The End.

ROGETRAY

Staff

Toridas wrote:Minecraft does have an ending, there's a zone called The End and a creature called the Ender Dragon which, when, killed, gives you an achievement called The End.

Ruger9mm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ruger9mm

Oh man, this thread is full memories. The game I always tried to finish but never could was Silent Service on the NES. It was amazing in its day. I spent way to many hours playing cat and mouse with Kaibokan, while torpedoing tankers and troop transports. The one little problem was you couldn't save, that made it difficult to complete a tour of duty.

ROGETRAY

Staff

Ruger9mm wrote:Oh man, this thread is full memories. The game I always tried to finish but never could was Silent Service on the NES. It was amazing in its day. I spent way to many hours playing cat and mouse with Kaibokan, while torpedoing tankers and troop transports. The one little problem was you couldn't save, that made it difficult to complete a tour of duty.

Oh wow, for a second there I thought you meant the PC game "Silent Steel":

SUCH AN ODD GAME....

Jertyrael

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Jertyrael

I can't get to reading the whole thread here like I'd like to at this moment, but if we're talking about games I'd like to point one out to gamers and trekkies.

If you like cooperative games with friends in the same room (or online if ya must, but you need to use some sort of voice chat) and you like Star Trek, check out Artemis. It can be found on Steam, Android, or iOS and can be found on their own website. It is essentially a bridge command simulator heavily influence by Star Trek and other such things.

It is gloriously fun!

http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=incandescent.game.artemis&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/artemis-spaceship-bridge-simulator/id578372500?mt=8

"Woot and all our various sites will continue to be an independently operated company full of horrible, useless products and an untalented jerkface writing staff, same as it ever was." -- Matt Rutledge

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

My thing against minecraft is- I LOVE the first day/night- its so cool and stressful and fun to try and find a way to survive when you start with nothing- I like scouting out the land and finding a suitable plot and gathering supplies while the inevitable shift to night always looms overhead... GOLD-

Then- it just gets too easy- once the stress is gone, I stop caring- I am sure they added things to fix this since I quit (maybe)- but I already moved on- As for just making stuff on Minecraft- Never really got in to that- which is odd because I am an art teacher and LOVE making things and video games and videogames where you make things- It was just too odd and clunky of an interface for me to try and care more than a few hours...

Anyway- I may be alone there-

dougall

ROGETRAY wrote:
Fez

Egggggghhhh...

I think I have this available in an old humble indie bundle... are you suggesting I should give it a whirl?

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 126 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

dougall wrote:I think I have this available in an old humble indie bundle... are you suggesting I should give it a whirl?

Oh my lord yes, it's a fabulous game. I was inspired after watching Indie Game (on Netflix streaming, and a great watch). Absolutely lovely game, but I am in the same boat as roge, I never finished... whoops.

dougall

agingdragqueen wrote:Oh my lord yes, it's a fabulous game. I was inspired after watching Indie Game (on Netflix streaming, and a great watch). Absolutely lovely game, but I am in the same boat as roge, I never finished... whoops.

Downloaded and installing.

My vote for awesome yet unfinishable videogame is...

ELITE

POssibly too english for the left side of the pond, I'm not sure... but I've probably spent many millions of hours playing this. over several versions and many different machines.

more info available here if you can look past the geocitiesness of the pages, also an awful lot of downloadable versions available for your favorite system/emulator.

dougall

More Olde Worlde Gamery has been found.

Anyone who grew up on (or just used) the Amiga back in the day may find a little nostalgia Here

dougall

ROGETRAY wrote:#2

Blizzard currently have 3 classic games available for download...

Blackthorne, The Lost Vikings, and a lite version of Rock N Roll Racing for the DNES (Played using an emulator on the PC, you can likely play the ROM file on other emulators I imagine.)

if anyone didn't play, the lost vikings is an awesome game, and everyone should rush off to give it a try.

HERE.