great57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages great57
ehatfield19 wrote:So if I have wi-fi in my home I'm good to go with this right? My 12 yr old wants a laptop. She's obsessed with minecraft and youtube. Would this be a good deal or no? Help

You can not play Minecraft on a Chromebook.

https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/325948-minecraft-system-requirements

kimos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimos

Is there a good reason to buy a 4 pound Chromebook?

daveninja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daveninja
great57 wrote:You can not play Minecraft on a Chromebook.

https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/325948-minecraft-system-requirements

you can if you install linux on it:

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-ubuntu-and-minecraft-on.html

kimos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimos
ultrawolf wrote:For the 4G, do you have to be in an area covered directly by T-Mobile? I spend a lot of time in an area where their coverage maps shows "service partner" (zip 04554).

I was just in southern Utah, always with "service partner" coverage. We were allowed almost no data - I mean none.

digitaleagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages digitaleagle
loofa wrote:Does Woot stand behind this "factory reconditioned" product for 21 days, or is the customer on his own if it arrives defective?

[MOD: If it arrives with a defect, email support@woot.com for assistance. After 21 days, contact HP.]

If it were me I would stay FAR away from Woot and their refurbished items. I just ordered an expensive Samsung Tablet and it came damaged. I have sent a note to Woot and they don't respond. I'm in the process now of disputing it with my credit card Company. I won't be purchasing anything expensive or refurbished from Woot ever again! There customer service is the worst! I guess they have gotten so big that they have forgotten about customer service. I'd say, if it happens to you, you will be on your own.

Woody1

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Woody1
kimos wrote:Is there a good reason to buy a 4 pound Chromebook?

To keep open a 3.9 pound door

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

Woody1

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Woody1
digitaleagle wrote:If it were me I would stay FAR away from Woot and their refurbished items. I just ordered an expensive Samsung Tablet and it came damaged. I have sent a note to Woot and they don't respond. I'm in the process now of disputing it with my credit card Company. I won't be purchasing anything expensive or refurbished from Woot ever again! There customer service is the worst! I guess they have gotten so big that they have forgotten about customer service. I'd say, if it happens to you, you will be on your own.

We are both in the 100+ club, and although I have seen a slower response from woot in the past year, they still have always come through with a solution. It may not be the one you are hoping for (refund), and I had had a few DOA's but they made it right. Sometimes it is what it is.

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

ripprsoul

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ripprsoul

I've been looking for a decent deal on a Chromebook for work (we're currently testing out Google Apps for Business). The 4G offer sealed the deal for me. In for 1...

...which marks my 100th Woot. Huzzah!

natevo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natevo
ripprsoul wrote:I've been looking for a decent deal on a Chromebook for work (we're currently testing out Google Apps for Business). The 4G offer sealed the deal for me. In for 1...

...which marks my 100th Woot. Huzzah!

Huzzah indeed! Congratulations.

natevo

daveninja wrote:you can if you install linux on it:

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-ubuntu-and-minecraft-on.html

Lol, it depends how you define play. Will Java run? Yes. Will you be able to actually play Minecraft, not really. You have to turn the settings all the way down, use fast graphics, lower render distance to 4 or 5 and even then the lag is very bad. Note the comment at the end of the article you posted (emphasis mine):

The experience you get from the installed Ubuntu isn't as good as the experience of Ubuntu on a normal computer. There are many challenges.

For instance, the software center for Saucy only seems to run when you start it as sudo. Virtual box requires an upgrade to the kernel which involves a lot of extra steps.

Personally my recommendation is as follows. If you have another computer available to you then install Linux on that computer and leave the Chromebook to run ChromeOS.

ChromeOS is perfect for what it is created for and the HP Chromebook is perfect for running ChromeOS. Everything else feels like a hack.

scooterbassman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scooterbassman

I bought one of these at Walmart for around $340 but with only a 16 GB SSD. It is a very nice machine that is my primary travel device. I like ChromeOS and it works for 98% of what I need to do in my law practice. For the other 2%, I installed the ElementaryOS version of Ubuntu along with KingSoft Office (a clone of MS Office). There are instructions to do this here: http://jeanlouisnguyen.blogspot.com/2014/01/guide-how-to-install-elementary-os-on.html?m=1

At $225, this is an exceptional deal.

scooterbassman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scooterbassman
natevo wrote:

I strongly disagree. The ElementaryOS variant of Ubuntu runs like it was made for the HP Chromebook 14.

natevo

scooterbassman wrote:I strongly disagree. The ElementaryOS variant of Ubuntu runs like it was made for the HP Chromebook 14.

I wasn't saying that Linux would not work. I was saying specifically that running Minecraft on Linux on Chromebook is not a very pleasant experience.

Additionally I think installing Linux will offer only marginal benefit for most users while introducing complexity. I think one of the biggest selling points of Chromebooks is their simplicity. They stay automatically up to date and are super secure. Introducing this setup requires a lot of tinkering. Chrome updates break chroot, etc. I think that's what the original author was referring to when he said it felt like a hack. Compared to the complete seamless simplicity of Chrome, running Linux requires more hacking or tinkering. Maybe there is that one specific app you have to run then do it. YMMV.

I do have to agree with you though, this is an exceptional deal. I'm having to restrain myself from buying another even though I have it already!

jojo879

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jojo879

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/sprint-and-t-mobile-agree-on-terms-of-32-billion-deal/

stephanie12861 wrote:It would be a deal but T-Mobile isn't available in my area. The nearest coverage is over 40 miles away.

infraredted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infraredted
digitaleagle wrote:If it were me I would stay FAR away from Woot and their refurbished items. I just ordered an expensive Samsung Tablet and it came damaged. I have sent a note to Woot and they don't respond. I'm in the process now of disputing it with my credit card Company. I won't be purchasing anything expensive or refurbished from Woot ever again! There customer service is the worst! I guess they have gotten so big that they have forgotten about customer service. I'd say, if it happens to you, you will be on your own.

I agree, I would go with Blinq.com. They stand by their stuff, will give you an RMA immediately and send out the replacement product or refund quickly. Woot can only dream about it.

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
spectralguy55 wrote:And, your are in the Cloud for good, which I do not see as a good thing. Once your data is in the Cloud, you lose a number of legal protections, and if you don't have access for any reason, such as denial of service attacks, expended data quota, power-outages at the storage site ... any reason whatsoever, you don't have access to your data. In a very real sense, once you commit data to the Cloud, it isn't your data anymore.

That's a myth, pure and simple. You do not waive ownership of your data when you put it on Google Drive. That is still legally your data, and no one has a right to look at it without your consent. Google's actually doing more than most to make sure that data remains yours, as they now fully encrypt all communications between their data centers. Then there are services like Tresorit, which encrypt your data from the start. They can't reset your password because they create the encryption keys for your account and then delete them.

There is the potential of losing data stored in the cloud, but it's not's the same thing as losing the rights to your data. It's also more likely that services like Google and Dropbox have redundancies to prevent such losses. You run a greater risk of losing data if you keep it on a single hard drive on a local machine.

The cloud isn't such a scary place if you take the time to study your choices, and stick with trustworthy services.

Tygre

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tygre

For what it's worth, I've had several issues in the past with goods damaged in shipping, etc, and Woot staff has always been prompt in addressing them. I've also purchased MANY refurb'd items (including computers) and had zero problems with any of them.

monty0000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monty0000

The Chromebook includes 200megs on T-Mobile a month for life of the device. FreedomPop has a nice offer, however it runs on a less stable network (Sprint).

millept wrote:Note that the free data is limited to 200MB/month, which is useful for checking email, but which will disappear quickly if you hit any data-intensive web pages (e.g. animated ads) or try to watch any videos.
If you are in an area with FreedomPop coverage, you would do better to buy a plain chromebook and a FreedomPop device which would give you at least 400MB/month free data forever, not just for two years.

lloydrj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloydrj
Tygre wrote:For what it's worth, I've had several issues in the past with goods damaged in shipping, etc, and Woot staff has always been prompt in addressing them. I've also purchased MANY refurb'd items (including computers) and had zero problems with any of them.

I think buying a WOOT refurb is hit or miss. WOOT does back their sales, but sometimes in a way not desired by the buyer. I bought a Lenovo laptop and WOOT sent the wrong CPU. I contacted WOOT CS and all they offered was a refund. I wanted a laptop. WOOT then arranged with the refurb company for me to get a replacement. That company did not respond to either voice or email; but when I managed to talk with a real person; action was fast. After about a month of phone calls and re-shipments to correct the wrong CD/DVD drive; I ended up with a Lenovo laptop with a third party squeaky flexing case and a screen with 2-3 hot/dead pixel AREAS - NOT PIXELS but areas. Each area is 1/16-1/8" diameter - LOTS of pixels. I'm not sure it is worth the risk and effort to buy a refurb.

schrody

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schrody

Amazon has some great reviews on the 16GB version.

I've been tempted to pick up a Chromebook. Tried installing Chrome OS on one of my laptops, but too many hardware issues. At this price and with lifetime free "emergency" cellular data, I finally pulled the trigger.

I'd really have preferred it was any other color than white, but I'll manage. Maybe a can of spray paint?

No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
daveninja wrote:you can if you install linux on it:

why install linux when you can boot off the cloud and run linux right off it.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner

The description mentions Snow White. Does it come with the 7 dwarfs?

Bill

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner
lloydrj wrote:I think buying a WOOT refurb is hit or miss. WOOT does back their sales, but sometimes in a way not desired by the buyer. I bought a Lenovo laptop and WOOT sent the wrong CPU. I contacted WOOT CS and all they offered was a refund. I wanted a laptop. WOOT then arranged with the refurb company for me to get a replacement. That company did not respond to either voice or email; but when I managed to talk with a real person; action was fast. After about a month of phone calls and re-shipments to correct the wrong CD/DVD drive; I ended up with a Lenovo laptop with a third party squeaky flexing case and a screen with 2-3 hot/dead pixel AREAS - NOT PIXELS but areas. Each area is 1/16-1/8" diameter - LOTS of pixels. I'm not sure it is worth the risk and effort to buy a refurb.

I have purchased 3 large refurbed Visio TV's from Woot and all 3 have been flawless. Condition-wise, they couldn't be told from new. I saved a ton of money buying them this way

Bill

pschoultz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pschoultz

Looks like a great deal. What is woot's return policy if there's nothing wrong with it other than it doesn't fit my needs?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pschoultz wrote:Looks like a great deal. What is woot's return policy if there's nothing wrong with it other than it doesn't fit my needs?

Our return policy is linked in my signature.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

natevo

lloydrj wrote:I think buying a WOOT refurb is hit or miss. WOOT does back their sales, but sometimes in a way not desired by the buyer. I bought a Lenovo laptop and WOOT sent the wrong CPU. I contacted WOOT CS and all they offered was a refund. I wanted a laptop. WOOT then arranged with the refurb company for me to get a replacement. That company did not respond to either voice or email; but when I managed to talk with a real person; action was fast. After about a month of phone calls and re-shipments to correct the wrong CD/DVD drive; I ended up with a Lenovo laptop with a third party squeaky flexing case and a screen with 2-3 hot/dead pixel AREAS - NOT PIXELS but areas. Each area is 1/16-1/8" diameter - LOTS of pixels. I'm not sure it is worth the risk and effort to buy a refurb.

I think giving you a refund was the fair thing to do. It's hard when you're selling a limited stock of refurbished items to find someone a replacement after you have sold out. These items are manufacturer refurbished. There are sure to be issues with some of them. The best that woot can do is give your money back, which it sounds like they offered to do. I'm not sure I feel that bad for you given that you insisted on getting a laptop to replace the broken one. If it was new I would understand wanting a replacement, but with a refurb there is understood risk, if you don't get what you wanted you just take your money back and try to find another deal. I don't think you can fault them for not having a guaranteed working replacement on hand. IMHO.

tewkewl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tewkewl

not a deal when you consider wifi. my basic phone plan has 2gb hspa+ wifi hotspot included. but it is a 14 incher. good for web browsing at home I suppose. but who uses a laptop now? don't most people use a tablet to browse the web?

clawso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clawso

anyone know if the t mobile was upgraded to the forever free plan that other HP chromebooks were upgraded to?

natevo

clawso wrote:anyone know if the t mobile was upgraded to the forever free plan that other HP chromebooks were upgraded to?

It was.

mouseanon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mouseanon
tewkewl wrote:don't most people use a tablet to browse the web?

Actually the vast majority of people use something other than a tablet.

Picked one of these up *because* it is such a PITA to surf the real web on a tablet. You can keep your mobile versions.

sterling1953

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sterling1953

Lifetime 4G Free?

True True TRUE!! I read it with my own eyes! I'm getting this thing!!

schrody

clawso wrote:anyone know if the t mobile was upgraded to the forever free plan that other HP chromebooks were upgraded to?

That seems to be the case, yes. I'd say the probability is high, but if you'd end up with buyer's remorse if it turns out not to, you might be better to sit this one out.

Might want to take a look here, too.

MattG84

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MattG84
captaindonald wrote:The "free" data is only 200mb, that is tiny!!! the data plan is basically useless unless you pay extra, this is misleading and kind of a bait and switch I'd give it a miss.

agreed. the offer seemed almost enticing... free 4g for 2 years? then you see its 200 MB a month. You can watch about 10 short YouTube videos, send a few emails, and visit a few websites, and then you have used up your plan for the month.

Maybe if the offer was for at least 2 to 5 GB, than we'd be talking. Otherwise, not worth it.

However, I will say this: Chromebooks are good. My mom bought this computer, after having returned the original one that had a much smaller screen. This one was much better for her eyes. It is fast. Never have to worry about her getting viruses, and I have peace of mind knowing that it is the computer for her. The only thing she'll call me up for now is: "I forgot my password" or "The website isn't loading, is it my computer?" (99.99% of the time, it's the website or the internet company and not the chromebook)

All she does is read her email, go on AOL.com and read some news articles, and play around on Facebook.

So this is a great computer for people who use it for nothing more than surfing the Internet. Boots up in about 2 seconds, remains fast no matter how many websites you visit, and no matter what you do.

NO backup, no virus scans and updating is automatic, takes less than a few minutes, and a possible restart required, which also takes less than a few minutes.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

with this chrome PC, can it read my floppies? or how can I send it to googel so they can fly them to the cloud. Can I click the little AOL picture and have this dial through the cloud and bring up my AOL screen. Them young ones tells me its all in the cloud so I presume it is do-able.

schrody

MattG84 wrote:agreed. the offer seemed almost enticing... free 4g for 2 years? then you see its 200 MB a month. You can watch about 10 short YouTube videos, send a few emails, and visit a few websites, and then you have used up your plan for the month.

Well, if you want to use it as your only internet connection, then you spend the money to upgrade to a real data plan. At least the modem is built in, so you don't have to mess with phones, portable hotspots, or USB dongles.

OTOH, if you have access to WiFi most of the time, the 200MB is perfect for those times when you are in a pinch and need to get online away from WiFi. Note I said NEED - if you want to sit and watch youtube or netflix or stream music all day you'll want to find some WiFi or pry open your wallet and buy some data (which will be easy enough - you can easily buy a day, week, or month worth right from the Chromebook either using a credit card or, if you prefer anonymity, you can just buy a T-Mobile refill card and use it).

fbg00

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fbg00

Weighing in on the 200MB of Free 4G per month. Realize that 4G LTE (HSPA+) typically supplies 10Mbps (that's 10 megabits per second). 200MB is 1600 Megabits. So you would use that up in about two to three minutes on a typical connection, if you were actually using it to do anything normal like watching a video, or downloading data.

So, translation: about 2 or 3 minutes of free Internet per month, or maybe more if you don't use it for anything fun.

EDIT: to be fair, video might only stream at 1 or 2 Mbps, so maybe you get a little bit more, but best to think of this as 2 or 3 minutes of Internet. It really isn't much

bouseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bouseman
DrewPBottom wrote:This would be great if this is the case. Can anyone else confirm that this is the case? I'd be worried about paying for excess data otherwise. (If a kid played a long YouTube video behind my back, I'd be in the red).

*Can confirm. Bought new on amazon a month ago and it set up with no Adirondack info required. Great web surfer for short money. Bought a second one today as it's a hundred less than I paid on amazon

Bouseman

bouseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bouseman
bouseman wrote:*Can confirm. Bought new on amazon a month ago and it set up with no Adirondack info required. Great web surfer for short money. Bought a second one today as it's a hundred less than I paid on amazon

Adirondack equals additional. Spell check fail

Bouseman

andrewj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewj

Just got one, thanks for all the replies with info. Seems like a deal old woot would have had so really great to see this.

jarec707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jarec707

I bought a very similar refurb from
Walmart and returned it because the fan ran all the time, noisily. Deal breaker for me. Reading various reviews some people have a problem with the fan and others don't. Really liked it otherwise. Woot has a better deal than Walmart, 32 vs 16 gb, and a bit cheaper. But with Walmart you can return it to any store With return policies that appear less restrictive than Woot's.